American missionary shot full of arrows on remote island

bolverk

John went out of his way to be vaccinated against a host of diseases. He also spent a week alone before going to the island and was thereby quarantined to a degree, though certainly i don't know how he interacted with the fisherman.  he was aware of the potential dangers of bringing pathogens and took fairly extraordinary measures to avoid that, though clearly there is only so much you can do.  his heart was to go and live among them, learn their language and culture and, in time, introduce them to Jesus.  He didn't have any delusions of grandeur.  He read over 100 books in the 21 months leading up to going, prior to this he took a special course in linguistics so he could know how to learn their language.  he also spent years learning outdoor survival in various ways so that he would be prepared to live on an island without any modern conveniences.  

Again, you don't have to agree with him, but to try to turn him into a genocidal maniac is so far beyond the pale it should embarrass you. 

As for those quoting from Romans 13, I can't tell if you are serious, but that is a shockingly thin Biblical analysis.  Paul himself regularly disobeyed the laws to not preach the gospel.  Peter escaped prison in Acts 12....which I am fairly certain was against the law.  

• Fuck You 3

John went out of his way to be vaccinated against a host of diseases. He also spent a week alone before going to the island and was thereby quarantined to a degree, though certainly i don't know how he interacted with the fisherman.  he was aware of the potential dangers of bringing pathogens and took fairly extraordinary measures to avoid that, though clearly there is only so much you can do.  his heart was to go and live among them, learn their language and culture and, in time, introduce them to Jesus.  He didn't have any delusions of grandeur.  He read over 100 books in the 21 months leading up to going, prior to this he took a special course in linguistics so he could know how to learn their language.  he also spent years learning outdoor survival in various ways so that he would be prepared to live on an island without any modern conveniences.  

Again, you don't have to agree with him, but to try to turn him into a genocidal maniac is so far beyond the pale it should embarrass you. 

As for those quoting from Romans 13, I can't tell if you are serious, but that is a shockingly thin Biblical analysis.  Paul himself regularly disobeyed the laws to not preach the gospel.  Peter escaped prison in Acts 12....which I am fairly certain was against the law.  

It ain’t about against the law. It’s about risking OTHER PEOPLE’S LIVES.

He’s free to risk his own. Really, he is in every sense.

But not theirs. It was wrong.

3 hours ago, mop said:

All that outdoor survival training and he must have missed the most important chapter.  If hostile natives are shooting arrows at you.  Turn around don't drown dumbass

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

you're concerned with them catching a virus and dying from it.  i'm concerned with them not hearing the gospel and dying a second death from it.  Jesus definitively spoke, lived, and died showing which one was more important.  

11 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

It's quite apparent most on here don't have an idea about Jesus's true teachings. What part of go and make disciples of all nations includes the qualifier "as long as they're immunoresistant"? Furthermore, how many times does Jesus emphasize the physical now is more important than the eternal thereafter? The answer to both those questions is never.

picc.jpg

Lolz this thread is a fucking delight. How can this story be construed as anything other than a hilarious anecdote in the long history of Christians trying to solve problems that don’t exist and save people that don’t need saving. 

Newsflash* there are folks out there that DONT believe in magic god babies that have super powers. Also, there are folks that believe in their own magic beings that are not JC and the Sunshine Band.

Your justifications for his act of negligence and hubris are surface level deflections. Join the modern world, or do us all a favor and crawl into a cave with the big book and a big jug of Christ blood (it’s actually grape juice!)

• Like 5

The last straw for me and the Mrs. in our church was the new young pastor, that new breed of baptist preacher that claims to piss holy water, and if you don't live your life for God every second of the day, preaching to others that love and correct path, well you just aren't a good christian, and are not going to Heaven. 

He stood in front of our congregation on an Easter Sunday and told us the story of one of his best friends who went into Mosques and preached the Bible.  He was proud his friend did this act of christianity.  First of all I doubt it ever happened.  Secondly the disrespect one has to have to go into another's place of worship and pull a stunt like that is so far beyond arrogance and assholishness.

I wonder what his response would have been to a muslim or a jew, or Budhist interrupting his sermon to spread the good word of their religions. That ended our 16 year membership in one fell swoop.  I'm pretty much agnostic to atheist at this point in my life, so leaving was going to happen eventually, but that made the move that much easier.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

He stood in front of our congregation on an Easter Sunday and told us the story of one of his best friends who went into Mosques and preached the Bible.  He was proud his friend did this act of christianity.  First of all I doubt it ever happened.  Secondly the disrespect one has to have to go into another's place of worship and pull a stunt like that is so far beyond arrogance and assholishness.

I wonder what his response would have been to a muslim or a jew, or Budhist interrupting his sermon to spread the good word of their religions. That ended our 16 year membership in one fell swoop.  I'm pretty much agnostic to atheist at this point in my life, so leaving was going to happen eventually, but that made the move that much easier.

Right? I mean can you imagine, say, Paul showing up in a synagogue to just start telling people about Jesus? Crazy.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

The part where he said he didn’t come to replace the law (including thou shall not murder) but fulfill it? You don’t get to steal in order to fulfill your mission. You don’t get to kill to fulfill it, either.

that's a really weird verse to reference, it's neither here nor there.  Jesus is saying He's the fulfillment of the law-  He's the one who's going to take the required punishment.

Every single time he preaches about and cares for earthly need: when he cures the sick, feeds the hungry, etc. Seriously, the NT is full of statements about not harming another person. Here, try this from Romans:

“The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.”

Do no harm to a neighbor. That’s fucking important. In fact, it’s the fulfillment of the law.

Look, man, I’m sorry that you’ve bought into some broken-ass theology. But you already know that. You know that any theology that would excuse harm to others so long as the word is spread is bad theology. You don’t want to admit it, but you know it.

no one's saying you're supposed to harm people.  go back through my posts, i've said it over and over-  christians sacrifice to save.  what you're getting wrong is the priority-  Jesus ALWAYS prioritized the spiritual over physical.  man does not live by bread alone, drink of me and you shall never thirst again, better to cut out your hand/eye.  you'll remember the devil's first temptation of Jesus in the desert was trying to get him to acknowledge his physical needs over his spiritual needs.  there is absolutely no way you can be a follower of Jesus, be familiar with His Word, claim to believe His Word, and think otherwise.  it's all through the Bible-  the spiritual needs of a person are always more important than the physical. 

but our God is a good and loving God.  He gives grace in abundance and just as He provided for our most pressing need (redemption) He knows what we need physically and provides for it.  Jesus himself says that in Matthew 6. 

it's alarming to hear you say this theology is a broken theology-  it's the theology that runs throughout the entire Bible and it's the theology Jesus himself states over and over again and the theology the apostles lived and died by.  even if you're not intimately familiar with the Bible, all you have to do is notice how what you're saying is the exact same thing so many self-professing non-believers are saying and it should alarm you. 

• Fuck You 2

40 minutes ago, formermav43 said:

Right? I mean can you imagine, say, Paul showing up in a synagogue to just start telling people about Jesus? Crazy.

for people who can't tell you're being sarcastic, going in to synagogues, temples, and other places of worship to preach about Jesus is exactly what Paul and the apostles did.  and the reason they did it is because it's exactly what Jesus did. 

7 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:

for people who can't tell you're being sarcastic, going in to synagogues, temples, and other places of worship to preach about Jesus is exactly what Paul and the apostles did.  and the reason they did it is because it's exactly what Jesus did. 

His sarcasm was noted.  Imagine Your feelings when a muslim starts quoting the Koran in your church. 

Astonishing. The mutation in thought that gsoda holds that has brought death and destruction to countless numbers is easy to see except to those who potentiate this line of thinking. This is good for you, and even if you die, it is still good for you. You read of human atrocity and wonder how another being could be so convinced that he/she is doing good despite what their own eyes and ears should tell them. The idea that all that missionaries bring is the love of God or that Christianity spread much like a benign pathogen is to just reconstruct a history of your own without reference to the real world at all

• Like 2

On 11/30/2018 at 6:59 PM, gsoda3 said:

go ahead and bookmark this thread for the next time someone says christians aren't hated.  

Is it okay if I bookmark it for the next time someone says that you aren't a delusional, arrogant, narrow-minded, condescending, hypocrite shithead instead? 

I hope you choke on poop. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, RPM said:

Not according to the original draft. I know you're a fan of the sequels, but the  OG OG was not cool about shit.

He sure got pissy about his apples. I mean, it’s not like Adam raided his stash of honey crisps. It was a red delicious. Hardly something to get bent out of shape over.

• Like 1

I'm sorry, but it's difficult to take anything away from this other than people letting their personal religion/ideology take precedence over other people's lives. 

Of course, they couch their intentions in "saving souls" and other religious miscellany, but isn't that what all/most fundamentalist religions espouse? Muslim, too.

Imo, your religion is NOT more important than other people's lives. Whether that twisted (imo) viewpoint is manifested in prohibiting blood transfusions or selfishly (yes, selfishly) bringing your unwanted views to an isolated population that has previously been decimated (or worse) from the introduction of outside germs/viruses, this man's actions were not right. He was arrogant and selfish. 

• Haha 1

On 12/1/2018 at 4:46 PM, Onboard 2.0 said:

His sarcasm was noted.  Imagine Your feelings when a muslim starts quoting the Koran in your church. 

/CSB

I spent several years in a small house church of maybe 20 members. We had a few Muslims in regular attendance and a pretty open policy about speaking during our meetings. We had many good discussions with them and some really strange meals.

So what is y'alls' opinion on religious groups that chose to live in isolation and refuse to vaccinate their kids or otherwise provide modern medical care for them?  Should they be afforded the same rights and get to shoot arrows at anybody who tries to hang out with them? 

Nah, we gotta send in the atf with a tank and tear gas and burn the place down.

10 hours ago, NotActuallyALonghorn said:

So what is y'alls' opinion on religious groups that chose to live in isolation and refuse to vaccinate their kids or otherwise provide modern medical care for them?  Should they be afforded the same rights and get to shoot arrows at anybody who tries to hang out with them? 

yes.  why should we pour more federal funding to alabama?

• Like 3

The mentality of it's ok to kill the person (body/temporal vessel) because we're saving the soul (eternal) is similar to the Catholic view (still think it's their view, but maybe not) that it's ok to let the mother of 9 kids die rather than have an abortion b/c the mom (presumably) has been been saved but the fetus has not (yet). 

It's better to have 9/10 kids be motherless, you know. 

On 12/1/2018 at 11:45 AM, hookemATL said:

Lolz this thread is a fucking delight. How can this story be construed as anything other than a hilarious anecdote in the long history of Christians trying to solve problems that don’t exist and save people that don’t need saving. 

Newsflash* there are folks out there that DONT believe in magic god babies that have super powers. Also, there are folks that believe in their own magic beings that are not JC and the Sunshine Band.

Your justifications for his act of negligence and hubris are surface level deflections. Join the modern world, or do us all a favor and crawl into a cave with the big book and a big jug of Christ blood (it’s actually grape juice!)

This might be the only thread ever that every post has legitimately made me laugh.

24 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
1 hour ago, G650 said:

I lol'd.

What do you think your greatest need is?

Currently, you to stop being so obtuse.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, gsoda3 said:
2 hours ago, G650 said:

I lol'd.

What do you think your greatest need is?

My GREATEST need?  I'm not entirely sure.

But it seems that "the need to not be killed by a fucking arrogant missionary" needs to bump up several slots, especially for certain folks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/1/2018 at 3:55 PM, formermav43 said:

Respect for others places of worship is a cornerstone of belief for me, regardless of their religious beliefs. Going in uninvited, and preaching is what this guy was allegedly doing. That's just wrong in so many levels.