LSU @ aggy

Chad

3 hours ago, wood said:

Yep, and never mind that on the pass before the spike, the ref marked the WR OB even though his knee was down when he was still 2 yards from the sideline. He stretched after that to get the ball to the sideline.

???

He didn't mark him out of bounds.  If he had, A&M wouldn't have needed to spike because the clock wouldn't have run.

I was unaware of this rule, but now that I know about it and go back and watch this gif, incompetence is the only charitable explanation. Every other explanation points to crookedness. 

Not only did the refs violate the 3 second rule, they essentially let aggy spike the ball without it costing them any time on the clock. 

5bfa5cb67d62f.image.gif

Edited by crimsonlonghorn
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Here is the actual rule about spiking the ball under three seconds:

Minimum Time For A Play After Spiking The Ball

ARTICLE 5. If the game clock is stopped and will start on the referee’s signal with three or more seconds remaining in the quarter, the offense may reasonably expect to throw the ball directly to the ground (Rule 7-3-2-f) and have enough time for another play. With two seconds or one second on the game clock there is enough time for only one play. (A.R. 3-2-5-I)

the first part of that is just weirdly worded if you realize that if there are 3 seconds on the clock that in actuality less than 3 seconds remain in the quarter. the last sentence does seem to verify that there can't be 1 or 2 seconds on the clock, but can be 3 on the clock.

14 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

You can't spike it with UNDER three seconds. There must be a minimum of three seconds left to spike the ball in college.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1558915-ncaa-football-rule-change-2013-spiking-the-ball-with-under-three-seconds-left

so how many seconds were on the clock? 

The way the rule is written, the 3 second rule applies to the amount of time left on the clock when it was stopped for the first down. If I recall, there were 3 seconds left on the clock then.

Also, there would not have been a 10 second runoff if the illegal formation had been called. The whistle would have blown with the 1 second left when the ball was snapped. The penalty would have been assessed and the clock restarted on the snap of the ball. Aggy still would have had their final play, just a little further from the goal line.

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

Here comes another goober with legends of the amazing College Station hospitality!

Hey, damnit. Don't bring a hammer to a gun fight. (2 games in a row we've had someone arrested for hitting someone else with a hammer over a tailgating spot. Tailgating is serious bidness).

13 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

The SEC office should over rule the non-fumble in the 1st OT, call it a fumble with a clear recovery, and award LSU the win.

Can this happen? Because it would be like offering Aggy misery addicts a new drug called  Overdose that will kill you with one hit

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pibald said:

Saw a guy this morning who knows the crew that officiated this game. Apparently this was most of the crew’s first time in College Station, and they’ve been there throughout the holiday. They admitted after the game that they were so impressed with the hospitality that they received that they may have carried a little bias into their calls. 

1 hour ago, Huckleberry said:

lulz

Here comes another goober with legends of the amazing College Station hospitality!

1 hour ago, irishtexan said:

Oh for fuck’s sake. You dorks sure do think highly of yourselves.

1 hour ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

UglyMaleIbis-small.gif

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins said:

I heard those milkmen really know how to suck a dick so I can believe this.  

1 hour ago, wood said:

giphy.gif

I could’ve sworn the first post was a joke. Am I wrong?

2 hours ago, Newy25 said:

If I am an LSU fan this morning I am sick to my stomach. 

As an LSU fan I’m disgusted with the way the game played out but despite the repeated rigging by the refs, our team played poorly too.  We missed our first FG and muffed a punt which resulted in an aggy TD early in the game.

There were plenty of other missed opportunities we had to win the game but failed to capitalize.

I give credit to the aggy players for pulling it out, they had no control over the officiating either but managed to get it done.

I expected LSU to suck this season, I realistically thought we’d go 7-5 but we actually overachieved, all things considered.

As far as this game hurting, eh not really.  We were headed to a bullshit bowl game anyway and getting a win over aggy seemed almost perfunctory for LSU.  The loss sucks but we really didn’t lose that much.

This game also highlights how fucking absurd college overtime rules are.  College overtime is a fucking joke that isn’t even really football.  Things like field position and clock management get completely taken out of the game while player safety isn’t even factored in.

The NCAA should adopt the NFL overtime rules instead of this abomination of OT they’re currently using.

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

This game also highlights how fucking absurd college overtime rules are.  College overtime is a fucking joke that isn’t even really football.  Things like field position and clock management get completely taken out of the game while player safety isn’t even factored in.

I don't know, man. Any contrived, random system that allows Kellen Mond to throw for six touchdowns can't be wrong. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

The NCAA should adopt the NFL overtime rules instead of this abomination of OT they’re currently using. 

Man, that OT also sucks. Win a coin toss, score a touchdown, game over. That doesn't seem fair either. Also the game can end in a tie, wtf? That OT is 100% developed to fit in a TV window.

45 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I could’ve sworn the first post was a joke. Am I wrong?

You are not wrong. I can’t wait for the actual reviews from “LSU” fans though. My favorite thing about aggy home games are the fake ass travel reviews. 

• Like 1

As an LSU fan I’m disgusted with the way the game played out but despite the repeated rigging by the refs, our team played poorly too.  We missed our first FG and muffed a punt which resulted in an aggy TD early in the game.
There were plenty of other missed opportunities we had to win the game but failed to capitalize.
I give credit to the aggy players for pulling it out, they had no control over the officiating either but managed to get it done.
I expected LSU to suck this season, I realistically thought we’d go 7-5 but we actually overachieved, all things considered.
As far as this game hurting, eh not really.  We were headed to a bullshit bowl game anyway and getting a win over aggy seemed almost perfunctory for LSU.  The loss sucks but we really didn’t lose that much.
Yep. I can't fathom how people think college OT is a good way to do it. It becomes fucking arena football. If you don't want to adopt the NFL model, which is the right way to go, then these drives need to start at a minimum of midfield. I would actually prefer to have them start 65 yards away. That way real strategy is in play as you mentioned. Not backyard, street football.

2 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yep. I can't fathom how people think college OT is a good way to do it. It becomes fucking arena football. If you don't want to adopt the NFL model, which is the right way to go, then these drives need to start at a minimum of midfield. I would actually prefer to have them start 65 yards away. That way real strategy is in play as you mentioned. Not backyard, street football.

NFL, no, reasons documented above.

Starting 65 yards away, that I can go for. Its puts some strategy back in the game.

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

NFL, no, reasons documented above.

Starting 65 yards away, that I can go for. Its puts some strategy back in the game.

Why not just normal kick, or auto touchback?  Each team gets one possession.

I hate the current rules.  Feels like a completely different game where different strengths are valued once you hit OT vs regulation. Changes the dynamic of the game that was already in play too much. 

17 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

Man, that OT also sucks. Win a coin toss, score a touchdown, game over. That doesn't seem fair either. Also the game can end in a tie, wtf? That OT is 100% developed to fit in a TV window.

I think ideally you'd institute current NFL playoff OT rules (no ties), but skip the coin toss and have the team that scored last kickoff to start OT. If the kick team/defense can't stop the other team from scoring another TD, tough shit you lose. 

I’m with everybody that thinks college OT is an abortion. Just stupid. If they’re gonna keep it, just eliminate stats accumulated in OT because they’re completely bogus.

I’d almost lean towards bringing back ties if necessary but anything is better than what we saw last night, exciting or otherwise. My dad always thought starting at the 50 made more sense than the 25. At least you have to make a first down to get into FG range.

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

they should make you go for 2 immediately from the 1st OT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, relapse98 said:

You're telling me. Our (probable) Ray Guy Award winning punter was sitting on the sidelines twittling his thumbs.

But if you're punting in almost any OT rules you've already potentially lost the game, right?

Either way, counterpoint is that lsu's defense was giving you fits driving the length of the field all second half until the miracle drive to tie it up.

You don't have to be able to consistently execute to be in scoring range from where you currently start in OT.  From where you start, you just have to not screw it up to at least get a fg.  Those are crappy rules.

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Come on Hamttx, here's a celebration and a blatant taunting that wasn't called, just yesterday.

I watched the video. It was egregious and should have drawn a flag. Especially after the offensive player made physical contact. However failure of the back judge to not throw a flag doesn’t invalidate my original point of what transpired last night.

You would be better served to find the video of the Kansas State player who was flagged after he stops and salutes the front row of military dignitaries after he successfully caught what was the winning pass in their bowl game. Only to be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct by his salute. That flag cost K-State to lose that game. It is a rule, and as such either enforce it, or change the rule. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

While I admire your graciousness, and agree with you're NFL overtime proposal, I think you must still be in the first stage of grief... denial.

This game should never have gone to overtime, even forgetting all the crazy calls/ non-reviews before the final two plays. The 4th & 18 play clearly came up short, but no review...I mean it's not like it was important or anything...but I digress.

The spike play should have never happened, not because of the spike rule but because 1) the aggy player didn't get out of bounds, so the clock shouldn't have stopped, 2) even forgiving that, they were in an illegal formation for the spike.  Should have been a run off 

And don't even get me started on overtime.

The refs clearly, and materially effected the outcome of the game.  Yes, LSU made mistakes that cost them, but there are only so many mulligans a team can fight through.

7 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

While I admire your graciousness, and agree with you're NFL overtime proposal, I think you must still be in the first stage of grief... denial.

This game should never have gone to overtime, even forgetting all the crazy calls/ non-reviews before the final two plays. The 4th & 18 play clearly came up short, but no review...I mean it's not like it was important or anything...but I digress.

The spike play should have never happened, not because of the spike rule but because 1) the aggy player didn't get out of bounds, so the clock shouldn't have stopped, 2) even forgiving that, they were in an illegal formation for the spike.  Should have been a run off 

The refs clearly, and materially effected the outcome of the game.  Yes, LSU made mistakes that cost them, but there are only so many mulligans a team can fight through.

Ugh, this has been covered numerous times:

1) SEC has already said the line to gain was wrong on SEC Network; haven't the ability or care to go back and check to see if that's accurate

2) aggy didn't get out of bounds and the officials didn't give him OB; the clock stopped because it was a first-down gain; clock restarted at ref signal

3) you got me there on the illegal formation deal but I think it's been said in this thread it wouldn't be a 10-second runoff situation

Now, do you want to argue about Mond's knee being down when he regained possession on the play that ended in LSU reception? That's legit gripe. So was the catch-and-fumble by the aggy TE in the first OT. Game should've ended there.

The clock had to start on the first down so even a snap with the illegal formation would have to run time off the clock. Thus leaving aggy without enough time to kill the clock.  May not be a 10 second runoff but the clock doesnt go back to :03 

if Mond has possession of that ball then every onside kick or fumble is a dead ball and first person to touch it gets the ball.  Then if thats possession then the "incomplete pass" has to be a catch/fumble.  

in other words, advantage aggy

42 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Cloak was stopped by the first down on the spike play. 

Rule 3 Article 4(b) specifies that there is no 10 second run off on an illegal formation penalty

39 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

The 4th & 18 play clearly came up short, but no review...I mean it's not like it was important or anything...but I digress.

The spike play should have never happened, not because of the spike rule but because 1) the aggy player didn't get out of bounds, so the clock shouldn't have stopped, 

while I agree that the refs fucked the game up,  the 2 lines above are materially incorrect, and have been shown multiple times as such already on this thread.

for the record, in regards to the 4th  18 play, New shit has come to light.  In short, the SEC network fucked up the yellow line.  It was 2 yards further downfield than it should have been. aTm got 19 yards on that play.   I also thought the same thing, but multiple others have gone back and reviewed where the original LOS was on that play and it was a first.

as for your 2nd line, you are so fucking off its not even funny.  THEY GOT A FIRST DOWN- INBOUNDS.   So yes, the clock fucking stops on a first down. But it will restart on the ready for play,   if they had marked him OOB, then atm would not have had to spike it to stop the clock.   there were 3 seconds left, which is literally the lowest amount of time left where a spike can happen.    I agree that it was an illegal formation and the 5 yard penalty should have been called on the review, but I dont think illegal formations are considered time sensitive penalties, so I am not 100% sure the clock would have had the 10 second runoff.