LSU @ aggy

Chad

COLLEGE STATION, Texas - Apparently, seven overtimes was not enough.

After No. 22 Texas A&M outlasted No. 7 LSU, 74-72, in a NCAA record tying seven overtimes that took four hours and 53 minutes Saturday night, the battle raged on after the game on the field, and the fallout may continue Monday.

LSU offensive analyst Steve Kragthorpe, 53, who was diagnosed with Parkinson's disease in 2011 and has had a pacemaker in his chest to stimulate his brain since 2017, was punched by a credentialed man from the Texas A&M sideline in the chest.

That is when LSU director of player development Kevin Faulk, a former LSU and NFL star back from Lafayette, went after the man, whose identity has not been confirmed by Texas A&M.

MORE: Texas A&M kept getting "one more play"

"Out of nowhere, I got nailed," Kragthorpe said in a phone interview while he drove back home from the game Sunday afternoon. "I didn't go down, but I clutched over. I was like, 'Damn, he got me right in my pacemaker.' Then it started fluttering like he jostled it."

Kragthorpe was checked out by Texas A&M team doctor Jesse Parr and emergency medical personnel at the game.

"I feel OK, but not as good as I was," Kragthorpe said. "I felt like he tore something in there. I will be seeing my neurologist in Baton Rouge on Monday."

Kragthorpe, a former head coach at Tulsa (2003-06) and at Louisville (2007-09) was A&M's receivers coach in 2010 before becoming LSU's offensive coordinator for the 2011 season. That summer, he was diagnosed with Parkinson's, which is a degenerative nervous system disorder. He kept coaching at LSU, but just wide receivers in 2011 and '12. Then he moved out of coaching to a special assistant under then-coach Les Miles and has been an analyst since 2013.

"I don't want to press charges," he said. "I don't want to pursue it. It's one of those things that happens in the heat of the moment."

But Kragthorpe said Texas A&M may be held responsible if his pacemaker has been damaged or if he has been injured.  

"I didn't appreciate getting punched in my pacemaker," he said. "I'm not feeling good right now. I have no idea who the guy is. But he was wearing an A&M shirt, and I think I saw him signalling during the game. He was credentialed, so A&M should know who he is."

Texas A&M athletic department officials have not confirmed the man's identity amid reports Sunday that the person who hit Kragthorpe was Cole Fisher, a nephew of Texas A&M coach Jimbo Fisher, who said after the game he knew nothing of the incident.

"I don't know who Cole Fisher is," Texas A&M associate director for football communications Brad Marquardt said Sunday.

All Faulk knows is he saw someone punch Kragthorpe in his chest. Then he went after him.

"It's unfortunate this situation happened," Faulk said Sunday in a phone interview. "It got out of hand. But I was just behaving as my mom and dad raised me. This guy hit Coach Kragthorpe in the chest. I just stepped in. It just happened. I'd rather talk about the game. It was one of the greatest games I've ever been a part of. To have that many points scored and all the back and forth."

The 146 points set a Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) record for most points.

Kragthorpe said he was at first walking across the sideline to say hello to Texas A&M linebackers coach Bradley Dale Peveto, who coached at LSU from 2014-16, and other A&M coaches Kragthorpe knows. Then he saw Texas A&M wide receivers coach Dameyune Craig yelling and going up to LSU coaches, including head coach Ed Orgeron.

"Dameyune Craig started the whole thing," Kragthorpe said. "Just trash talking and yelling and screaming a bunch of crap."

MORE: Saints' defense is so improved that Payton is 'comfortable' late with a lead

Craig was hired by Miles to be wide receivers coach in 2016. Orgeron, who replaced Miles on an interim basis after four games in 2016, fired Craig shortly after being promoted to head coach after the regular season.

"I went up to Dameyune and said, 'Hey, Dameyune get out of here. You won. You don't need to be doing that. Move along.' And that's when I got hit. I mean, I got nailed. He was a young guy. I'm 53. I'm not going to fight him. I have Parkinson's, but even if I didn't, I haven't gotten in a fight since high school. That would be a poor reflection on Coach O and Joe (athletic director Joe Alleva)."

LSU has contacted the SEC office about the incident and about some of the controversial calls and non-calls in the game that hurt LSU, senior associate athletic director for external communications Robert Munson said Sunday.

"LSU is looking into the incident," Munson said.

SEC associate commissioner Herb Vincent also said Sunday the league was looking into the postgame incidents.

"We've been in contact with both schools," Vincent said.

"It's unfortunate this all happened because it was such a great game," Kragthorpe said. "What happened will put an asterisk on what was one of the greatest college football games in the history of the game. It will be talked about for the next 10 years. It was like a Roman gladiator thing out there. It was a fight to the death." 

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/sports/college/lsu/2018/11/25/kevin-faulk-punch-jimbo-fisher-nephew-altercation-steve-kragthorpe-after-record-setting-game/2108577002/

10 minutes ago, mop said:

ok, so will this officiating crew be reviewed in some way?  don't they have a process by which a crew is held accountable in some way?  

By reviewed, you mean given commendation medals as agents of the Fake Army, right?

1 minute ago, slorch said:

By reviewed, you mean given commendation medals as agents of the Fake Army, right?

that would be great.  but honestly, i feel like i have heard of crews getting in trouble before. i know the results never get overturned, but it would at least validate all of our sanity if they were reprimanded in some way.

• Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

lol_idi_amin.gif

I didn't recognize Idi Amin!  So I was a few countries away. This may be the Blue Nile or something...this could be near Jinja in Uganda a few hours east of Kampala.  What a crazy man.  Evidently he is laughing here because an interviewer asks him about some comment he had allegedly made about Hitler not killing enough Jews. Doesn't that make this quite creepy? 

6 minutes ago, mop said:

I didn't recognize Idi Amin!  So I was a few countries away. This may be the Blue Nile or something...this could be near Jinja in Uganda a few hours east of Kampala.  What a crazy man.  Evidently he is laughing here because an interviewer asks him about some comment he had allegedly made about Hitler not killing enough Jews. Doesn't that make this quite creepy? 

So based on your last two posts this is day one on the internet for you....what do you think so far?

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Like 6
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, C-Man said:

I’m with everybody that thinks college OT is an abortion. Just stupid. If they’re gonna keep it, just eliminate stats accumulated in OT because they’re completely bogus.

I’d almost lean towards bringing back ties if necessary but anything is better than what we saw last night, exciting or otherwise. My dad always thought starting at the 50 made more sense than the 25. At least you have to make a first down to get into FG range.

I'd move it back to the 40. You should have to pick up a 1st down to get into FG range.

• Like 1

Maybe hornfans.com or longhornfanzone.com is more you speed.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

How about no field goals in overtime. Td or no points. 

How about "play football"?

I'd go (a) trade possessions starting from a fixed field position (probably 70 yards out or so) or (b) a fixed time period (probably a quarter).  All other rules are the same.  Ties happen.

• Like 1

I'd go (a) trade possessions starting from a fixed field position (probably 70 yards out or so) or (b) a fixed time period (probably a quarter).  All other rules are the same.  Ties happen.

I'm with you except ties. Fuck ties. Leave that for soccer. NFL needs to somehow fix this too. It's a waste of time for everyone involved.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NeverMarryAStripper said:

Each team gets one play from the 25. They can either kick it or take a shot at a td. If it’s still tied after both teams one play, move it back 5 yards and do it again. Rinse and repeat.

I saw something like this suggested years ago, and I think it would be fun as hell...

1.  OT rule is one team has 4 plays to score a TD.  If they score a TD, they win.  If the other team stops them, they win.

2.  Instead of having a coin flip, each team bids on where they start.  Furthest bid out gets the ball.  

So if LSU says 9 yard line and aggy says 12 yard line, aggy gets the ball at the 12.  They have 4 plays to score a TD.  If they do, they win.  If they don't, LSU wins.  

Set the clock to 7:30, let them play 7.5 minutes, if it is still tied it's a fucking tie.  The funny thing is that the way college football is subjectively adjudicated by the CFP the idea of a tie is just fine.  Sometimes on a given night two teams are just dead even, let them play a little longer under regular rules just to make sure and then be done with it.  

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Especially when we're talking seven overtime periods, a tie is actually a more accurate reflection of what happened in a game than a win. 

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Strange that they havent admitted its Cole Fisher... 

Strange that they haven't admitted they didn't actually win those championships they put up on the wall. 

Strange that they havent admitted their only decade of sustained success was fueled by unprecedented cheating, and without that, they've always been consistently average. 

Strange that they havent admitted that they ran to the sec bc they were never going to beat us consistently or win the big 12.

I can page Randolph if we need need some more. 

At a certain point, it's no longer strange when they're lying or "ignoring the truth."

• Like 3

For what it's worth, this "pacemaker" that keeps getting referenced is almost surely the electrical device providing Deep Brain Stimulation.  It's not a cardiac pacemaker.  My MIL has the same thing -- it can be life-changing for a Parkinson's patient.  She has to get her battery changed out every once in awhile.

2 hours ago, Augustus said:

Wait a minute, no one here is scandalized over FOUR different LSU players going unpenalized for throwing the "thumbs down?"

The humanity!!!

I commented on it during the game. It wouldn’t have changed the outcome of the game like the general incompetency of the officials did.