Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

Well, we’re there. Russian dude puts his hands up after the first grenade as though he would like to surrender to the drone. Drone operator declines and gives him another grenade. Is surrendering to a drone legally a surrender?

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, 686 said:

Well, we’re there. Russian dude puts his hands up after the first grenade as though he would like to surrender to the drone. Drone operator declines and gives him another grenade. Is surrendering to a drone legally a surrender?

I don't know.  I remember in the Gulf War some Iraqis tried to surrender to one of the Navy spotter drones from a battleship, but, there being no one in the area to take them into custody, they went free.  I don't know if they were hit again or not.

Not being used in Ukraine, but kind of indicative of what people are doing elsewhere - I really do think that when this is over, the analysts and war games people are going to think about drones the most.  We are seeing cheap off-the-shelf drones being used to drop grenades into Russian trenches right before they are attacked by Ukrainian forces, we are seeing drones scout airfields deep into Belarus, etc.

• Hook 'Em 3

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Not being used in Ukraine, but kind of indicative of what people are doing elsewhere - I really do think that when this is over, the analysts and war games people are going to think about drones the most.  We are seeing cheap off-the-shelf drones being used to drop grenades into Russian trenches right before they are attacked by Ukrainian forces, we are seeing drones scout airfields deep into Belarus, etc.

I'd agree about drones being the biggest thing on analysts minds, however, I think the bigger push will be for counter measures like signal disruption.  

That having been said, I'm surprised we haven't seen more remote firing stations and the like in play.  Sending in a death robot to shoot up Russian trenches right about now sounds nice.  It's just a matter of time before we have infantry replacement bots, if the US doesn't already.  

And don't get me started on that Boston Dynamics shit.  I have seen Black mirror.  

• Hook 'Em 3

8 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Wow.

That was interesting, and it was funny to watch everyone else's reaction, which was like watching a room of people wince collectively.  For his end conclusion Corey Hart there can go fuck himself, but generally what he was saying you could tell was chilling for all of them, because those "analysts/guests" know the truth.

• Hook 'Em 2

27 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That was interesting, and it was funny to watch everyone else's reaction, which was like watching a room of people wince collectively.  For his end conclusion Corey Hart there can go fuck himself, but generally what he was saying you could tell was chilling for all of them, because those "analysts/guests" know the truth.

They weren't interrupting him like you'd normally expect.

35 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

That having been said, I'm surprised we haven't seen more remote firing stations and the like in play.  Sending in a death robot to shoot up Russian trenches right about now sounds nice.  It's just a matter of time before we have infantry replacement bots, if the US doesn't already.  

Batteries/capacity - they can't just drive up in a truck, drop it off, and it rolls off a few hundred yards and does its things - they'd be under fire.

But we can't be too far off, and maybe airborne drones are the way it will be for the time being.

35 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

And don't get me started on that Boston Dynamics shit.  I have seen Black mirror.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Batteries/capacity - they can't just drive up in a truck, drop it off, and it rolls off a few hundred yards and does its things - they'd be under fire.

But we can't be too far off, and maybe airborne drones are the way it will be for the time being.

Man am I ever glad I am married, because with that thing looking for box I don't think you single fellas have much of a chance.  

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Airborne drones that land and transform into that thing. 

tumblr_nyx2r37CsU1ugg6d4o5_400.gifv

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

A tank and APCs (and then dismounted infantry from the APCs) working together.

Something you rarely see with Russian troops.  Very rarely see.

The operation looked extremely disciplined, but kudos to the editor, too. I realize the editor wasn't necessarily risking their life (maybe they were the ones with the GoPro, dunno) but including the drone footage operating side by side with the body/helmet cam was highly effective and impressive. 

I remember watching footage of the Kharkiv offensive, and after the armor would break through the lines, guys were rolling up to positions in pickups with a 50mm MG mounted in the back along with SUVs, and just pouring out to overwhelm the Russians. 

This is using APCs from the Vietnam era. Still great vehicles and a widely used auxiliary to Bradleys even 10 to 20 years ago. I can hardly wait until we see battalions and divisions utilizing Leopards and Marders/Bradleys/CV90s. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

We need to develop CAS UAVs as we mothball the A-10s. The USAF doesn’t want it and planners always expected them to take heavy losses.  Look at what is happening to the Su-25 in this war. 

• Hook 'Em 4

20 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

We need to develop CAS UAVs as we mothball the A-10s. The USAF doesn’t want it and planners always expected them to take heavy losses.  Look at what is happening to the Su-25 in this war. 

The army has been saying they will take them. Front line, rapid support, etc. 

AF likes pretty shit. one thing about CAS is you need to be able to stay on station and have visibility. The A-10 was designed for that around a bad ass brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It was designed to destroy Russian tanks where they do not have air superiority. Does not look like the Russians have it. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, InkaUtexas said:

AF likes pretty shit. one thing about CAS is you need to be able to stay on station and have visibility. The A-10 was designed for that around a bad ass brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. It was designed to destroy Russian tanks where they do not have air superiority. Does not look like the Russians have it. 

More accurately, the A-10 was designed to be used while WE have air superiority. They're not the most agile planes and thanks to being low to the ground for CAS, are extremely vulnerable to MANPADs. 

The russian SU25 is a pretty close analogue to our A10, and SU25s have been getting knocked down pretty regularly unless they hug the deck and stay over the horizon away from their targets 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Both Magyar and Kyianyn have been withdrawn from Bakhmut. Neither of them have seemed that excited about it. Hints that part of it may be because of their videos. There's a blackout in Bakhmut that's been referenced by a number of media types covering the war.

Kyianyn also had the message accusing authorities of corruption in Kyiv right before he was withdrawn. In today's video - after having been withdrawn from Bakhmut - he shows a renewed passion for supporting the defense there (he has never been in favor of withdrawal, but he still shows a different level of passion for its continued defense), accusing Ukrainians  who want the defenders withdrawn of falling for Russian psyops that want to see the troops gone from there. Prigozhin has one such video blatantly trying to create that environment released today.

Magyar talks about his 242+ days in the Bakhmut area with a sense of frustration, but he promises to continue to support Ukrainian forces by raising money, listing the price for the drones he manages to keep supplying, equipped with thermal imaging, and that is the reason he continues to push out his videos. As a connection between the supporters who help him do what he's doing, and the military prosecuting the war.

I'll post Kyianyn's, then Magyar's, then Prigozhin's videos in that order. All from Dmitri from WarTranslated:

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I call bullshit.  Speaking from experience, such halfass, homemade, but get-the-job-done devices are CLEARLY Mexican in origin.

ain't that the truth. while perhaps not the best educated, every mexican i've ever met had a masters in shadetree engineering.

me: well this is fucked.

mexican: hold me chela.

me:

image.png.f5e8f99ab1b0f57c690a9d3944ea1e7a.png

Edited by DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

On this podcast, Gerry Baker discusses Ukraine, China, Tussia and Iran with Ian Brenner-

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/wsj-opinion-free-expression/id1609730284?i=1000602218899

Interesting Ukraine points-

1. Forget heavy tanks and F-16s- Ukraine needs ammo, now, if there is to be a counteroffensive. They don’t have it, the US doesn’t have it, and the US is unwilling to go to a wartime economy to produce it. 
2. Russia and Iran are rogue nations (which is new for Russia) and China is not, which impacts China’s willingness to kit Russia. 
3. “For as long as it takes” doesn’t thrill Ukraine. They want to get this over with and rebuild their country. 

(my opinion-looking at domestic US politics, … European nations maybe ought to consider going to wartime economies to supply Ukraine with munitions. If they rely on the US, there’s a damn good chance this war ends as well as the Afghanistan withdrawal). 

Edited by statsman
  • Hook 'Em 3

16 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I call bullshit.  Speaking from experience, such halfass, homemade, but get-the-job-done devices are CLEARLY Mexican in origin.

If we are to go down that road, in truth when I read about this all I could think about in my mind is a bunch of hammered Australian soccer hooligans lead by chief design engineer Paul Hogan.  That might not be fair.  (It might also be closer to accurate than we'd like to admit).  

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Should rig them to drop Fentanyl dust bombs in those trenches.  Fuckers would all be dead in short order.  

• Hook 'Em 4

3 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Should rig them to drop Fentanyl dust bombs in those trenches.  Fuckers would all be dead in short order.  

We're dealing with eastern european white folks.  From my experience, dab a coupla drops of Valentina's hot sauce on anything we drop on 'em, and they'll just spontaneously combust.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 4

23 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

We're dealing with eastern european white folks.  From my experience, dab a coupla drops of Valentina's hot sauce on anything we drop on 'em, and they'll just spontaneously combust.

Well, there is another issue.  I highly suspect the largest swarm of meth heads known to man is currently occupying some of Ukraine.  They may well have high levels of immunity to things like fentanyl.  The biology experiment going on is how much vodka and meth and can low IQ people withstand while running into minefields.  It's sort of like the redneck Olympics to be honest.  

Though, adding hot sauce could add a bit of flavor to the competition.  

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

ain't that the truth. while perhaps not the best educated, every mexican i've ever met had a masters in shadetree engineering.

me: well this is fucked.

mexican: hold me chela.

me:

image.png.f5e8f99ab1b0f57c690a9d3944ea1e7a.png

As someone who has literally waited under a Mexican shade tree while the mechanic-on-duty rode his bicycle to fetch a tube for my flat tubeless tire, I endorse this concept.

37 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

Well, there is another issue.  I highly suspect the largest swarm of meth heads known to man is currently occupying some of Ukraine.  They may well have high levels of immunity to things like fentanyl.  The biology experiment going on is how much vodka and meth and can low IQ people withstand while running into minefields.  It's sort of like the redneck Olympics to be honest.  

Though, adding hot sauce could add a bit of flavor to the competition.  

Meth and fentanyl do different things. Germans already did the meth fueled army- it’s how the blitz worked. 

• Hook 'Em 2

12 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Meth and fentanyl do different things. Germans already did the meth fueled army- it’s how the blitz worked. 

Oh I am aware, I just think the two may balance each other out.  Combo of uppers and downers.  I think if we really wanted to fuck them up we should start sending them healthy food, they might just spontaneously combust.  Like an air drop of Hungry Root, especially if it non stops plays that awful fucking song of theirs.  

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, vtaenz said:

This story about Jihad Johnny is insane.

Good lord, seems like Winston Groom has been writing again, this time with an evil version even dumber version.  10 star post there, would and did read again (mostly out of amazement).