Русский корабль - иди нахуй

Eastwood

13 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

It's not too hard to see that some of these people are never going to have a decent life, and when you're halfway around the world, or in the outer reaches of Russia, what you hear on Russian state TV about the war in Ukraine may sound pretty appealing. I don't think a lot of Americans/Europeans understand just how isolated the outer reaches of Russia are.

This is just me quickly grabbing a few that are in my YT history - I'm sure she has others, but like I said, I stopped watching/listening after she left Russia.

Not the worst, but where she grew up:

Get a taste of the 1970s Soviet life in the 2020s:

The crown jewel of the Far East for them I guess, if you like 1980s Soviet Union architecture.

This vibe…

• Haha 3

37 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

making a 'my granddad died in a concentration camp.  fell off the guard tower' type joke.

no, the behold!s fled czech republic* a couple decades before.  we were busy making rubber for the war effort in houston.

*if it existed then

That's how you surly.

1 hour ago, TexasEd said:

When you think of the Russian Hinterlands think of Alaskan Bush People but add a lot of vodka and fetal alcohol syndrome

image.thumb.png.9635e52477a552a3d8b16104bc82a79c.png

What the fuck is going on in this photograph?  Is it like the Siberian version of Radical Larry and his clan?  

• Haha 1

This weekend, an apparent Ukrainian rocket barrage reportedly blew up a rail bridge Russian workers were building south of Hranitne, 25 miles north of the Sea of Azov coast and 50 miles south of the front line in occupied southeastern Ukraine.

It’s one of the biggest under-reported events in months in a grinding war where logistics are everything. In reportedly dropping the incomplete span over the Kalmius River, Ukraine sets back—indeed, makes a mockery of—Russia’s efforts to improve its supply lines to its beleaguered forces in and around Crimea in southern Ukraine.

“The Ukrainians just shot a hole in a major Russian logistics initiative, and set back almost a half year of serious Russian supply planning,” wrote Stefan Korsha, a senior defense correspondent at Kyiv Post.

The Russian military has three ways of moving large quantities of supplies from Russia proper to Russian forces in southern Ukraine: by ship into Crimea, by road and rail over the Kerch Bridge directly into Crimea, and by rail through southeastern Ukraine.

The Ukrainians have been attacking all three main supply lines ever since Russia widened its war on Ukraine starting in February 2022.

Holy shit @Schulz2.0 that is wild

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

image.thumb.png.29580e00bd02acf7ba55ad5cef2a2844.png

This group right here is making it difficult for me to give a rating system. I got the dog, and the husband and wife - beyond that I need some help. The one with the dog has a goatee so it must be a guy and the one in the upper left I think has boobs. Lower left looks like she is wearing a bracelet and a ring so I guess a girl. Ehhh, I think I am better off just giving everyone an X and walking away.

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Bevo said:

image.thumb.png.29580e00bd02acf7ba55ad5cef2a2844.png

This group right here is making it difficult for me to give a rating system. I got the dog, and the husband and wife - beyond that I need some help. The one with the dog has a goatee so it must be a guy and the one in the upper left I think has boobs. Lower left looks like she is wearing a bracelet and a ring so I guess a girl. Ehhh, I think I am better off just giving everyone an X and walking away.

It's ok.  They're already deeply committed to each other anyhow. 

• Haha 5

The rout of Ukraine's elite fighters in the counteroffensive against Russia is a lesson in why the war effort is stalled
https://www.wsj.com/world/europe/ukraine-russia-war-counteroffensive-5b309595?st=cm2ba5nlfx46k6v&reflink=share_mobilewebshare

I’m an idiot about war tactics, but I do know one thing about war strategy- the way to narrowly win a very important battle is to apply every advantage in resources you have, apply all your strategic analysis, plan for everything that can go wrong, and give it everything you have. Because, your opponent is doing the same. 

How much support should the west give Ukraine? “As much as we can spare” is the wrong answer. “As much as it takes to win decisively, even if it requires a wartime production” is the right answer. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 3

On 1/8/2024 at 7:02 PM, atomheartbevo said:

This is a lot of talk about the Russian economy - he obviously thinks that Russia's economy going in the shitter is what's going to overshadow everything in Russia.

What if civilian support untwirled all because of a chicken and egg shortage? A shortage in both protein for food consumption, and a shortage in a main ingredient of vaccines. The FSB is on the hunt for egg hoarders.

https://www.spectator.com.au/2024/01/russias-egg-shortage-is-panicking-putin/

The fall of the house of the Romanovs in 1917 may have been a long time coming, but arguably it was finally triggered by bread prices. It would be ironic if another Russian autocrat fell to food, which may help explain why the Kremlin has been moving so decisively to address Russia’s egg crisis, after prices rose by over 40 percent last year.

On Friday, the Investigatory Committee – loosely analogous to an FBI on steroids – ordered an enquiry into potential price fixing, following on the heels of Prosecutor General Igor Krasnov’s decision to launch his own probe. Rather more directly, the much-feared Federal Security Service (FSB) has been instructed to arrest anyone hoarding eggs.

The involvement of the security forces reflects not just a perennial feature of this personalistic and almost medieval system, where everyone wants to prove to the monarch that they are helping fix the problem of the day, but also a very real fear that this may spark a wider political crisis. At the end of December, after all, someone fired pot-shots at the car carrying Gennady Shiryaev, owner of the largest poultry farm in Voronezh region, a couple of days after an investigation was opened into alleged price fixing by his company.

Although Shiryaev has faced controversy in the past – in April last year, he and one of his men allegedly assaulted a fellow farmer and environmental campaigner when he accused him of dumping toxic waste into the Khopyor River – the police very quickly ascribed this incident to ‘locals dissatisfied with the increase in prices’ of his eggs.

A constant concern of the security apparatus is, after all, that their hard work suppressing the political opposition could be undone by economic problems. As a retired FSB officer once put it to me, ‘it’s going to be wage arrears or food shortages that one day may bring Russians out on the streets, and then they will decide if this is a revolution of the left or the right.’ The state’s goal is precisely to prevent things getting so bad before they have a serious problem.

This is also why efforts have been made to find new egg suppliers. For over a decade, Russia has been proudly near self-sufficient in eggs, producing something like 98 per cent of its needs and topping up with imports from neighbouring Belarus. In December, though, in response to skyrocketing prices, the government temporarily lifted import dues and began emergency imports. Around a million eggs have already been bought from Azerbaijan, and now Turkey is also moving into the market, with a first batch of 316,000 arriving on 3 January. This is unlikely to make much of a difference, though: it would take something like 500 million every month to appreciably bring down prices.

Vladimir Putin was even forced to make an unusual apology at his marathon town hall and press conference in December, even though as usual he blamed it on others, calling it ‘a failure of the government’s work,’ but also promising that it would soon be rectified. Nonetheless, progress is limited and patchy, and eggs still dominate local news across the country. In Krasnoyarsk region, where their egg price had risen 42 per cent last year, last week the local authorities were quick to trumpet that the price of a dozen had fallen from 149 to 119 rubles. Likewise, Penza region proudly noted that the price of eggs there was 5 per cent below the national average. Conversely in Karelia, fraudsters have been offering suspiciously cheap eggs online, and simply pocketing the deposits paid upfront by desperate or gullible punters.

The real problem is that while the crisis was exacerbated by the usual human failings of hoarding, panic buying and profiteering, it also reflects some fundamental challenges facing the Russian economy, for all its apparent success weathering the storm of sanctions. The government has tried to claim that the issue is buoyant household incomes leading to overconsumption. The very opposite is true. Salaries overall are not keeping up with 7.5 per cent inflation, and as pricier sources of protein become unaffordable, fish, beef and pork are being substituted by chicken (which rose in price by 28 per cent last year) and eggs.

Meanwhile, investment resources have been channelled to the defence-industrial sector. Food production and processing remains largely antiquated, hit by rising energy and wage costs, and lacks the reserves to deal with unexpected problems, such as the falling value of the ruble (which makes imported machinery and vaccines more expensive) and even a rise in domestic measles cases (which has meant more vaccine production, which is based on chicken protein).

With Putin facing re-election in March, he needs a fix, and this may further push his government towards renewed state control. Already, the Ministry of Agriculture has proposed not just a temporary export ban but also direct price fixing. Russia’s egg crisis is thus not only a symptom of wider economic problems and a political challenge. It may also nudge the regime further into the Soviet practices that have failed before.

Edited by Chopper
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

48 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

So to say it differently: thousands of civilians are being rounded up… or concentrated    into colonies, centers… or camps. Concentration camps. I fear we are only at the tip of the iceberg of Russian atrocities 

How much worse could it really get than their 21 flowers torture? Fuck Russia 

• Rage+1 1

Suspicious Monkey GIF by MOODMAN

Clinging to the chair, Putin described his career and special training in "illegal intelligence":

"My biography is well known: school, university, law, Leningrad State University (today St. Petersburg State University). Then a special school of the KGB of the USSR, then special training in illegal intelligence, then legal intelligence. Now it's called a university or intelligence academy. Then defended my thesis, when already working in the civilian economy. Candidate of Economic Sciences. That's it."

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/russian-economy-is-biggest-in-europe-claims-putin-v7hts68h0

President Putin has boasted that Russia is now Europe’s largest economy despite efforts by western countries to “strangle” Moscow over the war in Ukraine.

Speaking in Khabarovsk, a city in the far eastern region, Putin said that Russia was the fifth biggest economy in the world behind China, the United States, India and Japan.

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

Europe's "largest economy" is lining up for fucking chicken eggs.

https://news.yahoo.com/unprecedented-inflation-basic-foods-russians-130400149.html

• Hook 'Em 1

The British prime minister Rishi Sunak has arrived in Kiev to sign a “historic UK-Ukraine Agreement on Security Cooperation.”

What would Western public say, if the British representatives happened to be bombarded with cluster ammunition in the centre of Kiev, just as was the case with our innocent civilians in Belgorod?

And I also hope that our archenemies, the impudent British understand that officially stationing their troops in Ukraine would mean declaration of war against our country.

Violin Player GIF

Speaking of shitheads like Medvedev...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1