we're going the sugar bowl

blacklab

If we win, we're in the sugar bowl, if we lose, OU goes to the playoff and we go to the sugar bowl

from the link

No. 14 Texas is just two spots ahead of No. 16 West Virginia in the CFP rankings, and in theory a blowout loss to the Sooners could drop the Longhorns below the Mountaineers in the final rankings that are released this Sunday. Given that West Virginia beat Texas on its home field, that scenario seems especially plausible. But it also won’t matter.

According to multiple WVU sources, their understanding from the Big 12 is that the runner-up of the championship game will always receive the Sugar Bowl bid in the event that the league champion reaches the playoff.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But if we lose and Ohio State somehow passes OU, we go to the Alamo. So let’s just beat the piss out of OU.

If we lose, we lose. If OU goes to the playoff we get a decent consolation. If OU doesn't - then OU doesn't.

It's a win win either way if we lose imho. Assuming OU gets their ass handed to them by Bama (which they will).

32 minutes ago, mdmost said:

But if we lose and Ohio State somehow passes OU, we go to the Alamo. So let’s just beat the piss out of OU.

I’ll be shocked.   Northwestern is #22 and Ohio State lost a game by over four touchdowns.   If OU wins it would have defeated every team it played and lost one game by a field goal.

1 minute ago, S11 said:

I’ll be shocked.   Northwestern is #22 and Ohio State lost a game by over four touchdowns.   If OU wins it would have defeated every team it played and lost one game by a field goal.

This.   No way is tOSU jumping OU if both win on Saturday.  Both defenses are shit.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

I’m hoping for the holiday bowl. 

They don't take Big 12 teams anymore only Pac 12 and Big 10. The Mack Invitational is no more. The face full of Johnson game is the last time Texas will play there...for a long time anyway.

Edited by Valmy77

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

They don't take Big 12 teams anymore only Pac 12 and Big 10. The Mack Invitational is no more.

No way!  I’ve already bought tickets. Should I cancel my hotel?

i guess I’ll hope for the Freedom Bowl. 

Edited by EuroHorn
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Helobious said:

There’s no “win win” in losing to OU. Ever. It’s also lame as hell to laugh at them if they get blasted in a playoff game we weren’t good enough to play in. 

Just crush them on Saturday. There’s the win win.

Bingo...

Calling it a win because OU gets blown out in a game they earned the right to play in by beating you?  Holy hell, that's some seriously aggy thinking. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NowThis said:

but if GA beats Bama, I think the final 4 will be  1. Clemson 2. ND  3. GA 4. Bama.  

In that case if OU beats Texas then the gooners go to NOLA. 

Yup.

That would be cool if they played first. Then blowU found out, and think they got to blow us out, and completely fall apart under the added pressure.

1 minute ago, Zavala said:

Yup.

That would be cool if they played first. Then blowU found out, and think they got to blow us out, and completely fall apart under the added pressure.

Texas OU is the first game of the day, but i guess you already know that.  Nevertheless, Bama isn't losing and OP is correct. What a wow moment reading this thread. 

24 months ago, Texas lost to Kansas and now the Horns are 99% of the way to the Sugar Bowl.  So i guess it's Georgia if they lose to Bama. 

4 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Bingo...

Calling it a win because OU gets blown out in a game they earned the right to play in by beating you?  Holy hell, that's some seriously aggy thinking. 

Yeah...and going to the Sugar Bowl because we lost to OU would be shittiest Sugar Bowl berth in history. 

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Yeah...and going to the Sugar Bowl because we lost to OU would be shittiest Sugar Bowl berth in history. 

I think if you guys draw Georgia it would be pretty easy to get up for that one.  The big picture, Tom's probably a year ahead of schedule.  All that won't mean shit in the immediate aftermath of any loss to OU but a week or two later and you'll all be (rightfully) pumped to take on a top 5 team. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Missile said:

I look forward to the day when we grumble about berths in NY6 bowls. But I'm not there yet.

Look we haven't lost to OU yet. We can still go to the exact same bowl by beating OU. Wouldn't that be better?

I mean everyday Texas loses to OU is a day worth grumbling about. That is all I am saying.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 4

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Look we haven't lost to OU yet. We can still go to the exact same bowl by beating OU. Wouldn't that be better?

Absolutely! And I like our chances.

I'm just saying that this season has been a pleasant surprise and even if we don't win Saturday, there's room to appreciate a top tier bowl appearance.

Let's say everything goes as we hope and we beat the fuck out of ou and win the Sugar Bowl.  That would be insanely successful for this team to 1) beat ou twice 2) win a top tier bowl and 3) finally right the ship at Texas.  The best accomplishment of the 3 would be beating ou's shutty ass twice in one season and fucking them out of the playoffs....man would that taste good!!

• Like 1