Bastrop County Commissioner Snowden and his daughter - allegedly stealing a home

crash_davis

public servants serving their own best interest.

https://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/man-loses-home-after-bastrop-co-leader-plants-no-trespassing-sign/1637084874

Snowden had a sign planted in front of Vickers’ Elgin home, warning him to stay off the property and that it was under new ownership. The sign listed the new owner as “Ortiz.”

Ortiz turned out to be Tracy Ortiz, commissioner Snowden’s daughter. The home had been sold in an auction on the courthouse steps.

How did this happen? Vickers and his landlord, Francine Lankford, started asking Bastrop County. 

“There’s no lien, no unpaid taxes," Vickers said. "There is no reason whatsoever to foreclose on this property, and there is definitely nothing for a law enforcement officer to come to my home — break into my home — and order me out of my home.”

The sheriff’s deed filed on Oct. 1 showed the auction was the result of a civil case in another county between Lankford and Pacheco’s Fencing Company. That case ended in a $6,325 judgment against Lankford for work done on a property she owns in Lee County, which borders Bastrop County on the northeast. 

The judgment states that Lankford and her attorney failed to answer the Pacheco lawsuit, and Lankford lost the case. 

Lankford said her attorney never told her she needed to file an answer. 

County records show Lankford’s attorney in that case was Rosanna Abreo, the wife of Bastrop County Constable Salvador Abreo. 

Rosanna Abreo defended Lankford in the Pacheco Fencing case in 2017, when it was filed in Bastrop County. That Bastrop case was dismissed. Pacheco Fencing later refiled it in Lee County court, which rendered a default judgment against Lankford.

Rosanna Abreo is married to Salvador Abreo, the constable that oversaw the foreclosure and auctioning of Lankford's property. Salvador Abreo was appointed to the constable post after the previous constable resigned, and Snowden was one of the officials on the selection committee that helped appoint him, according to media reports.

In a written statement to KXAN, Rosanna Abreo said Lankford wrote and filed an answer herself, without an attorney, in the Lee County case. However, the Lee County Clerk said no such answer existed. You can read Rosanna Abreo's full statement here.

Before Abreo could obtain a sheriff’s deed on the property, the law requires him to have served Lankford with a document known as a writ of execution. The writ serves as formal notice to a person that the government is taking property to sell to pay toward a debt.

photo
A Lee County judge found this writ of execution was "fraudulent" because the date Constable Abreo claimed he received the document on Feb. 20, 2018--two months before it was created on April 30, 2018.

We obtained those documents from the Lee County Clerk’s Office. But, our investigation found major discrepancies in the dates on the documents. In the writ of execution Constable Abreo used to auction Lankford’s property off, Abreo wrote he received it on Feb. 20 — more than two months before the document was even created.

"If you read it on its face, it's fraudulent,” Gammon said.

I didn't read the entire article earlier but they really believe they haven't done anything wrong.

“If she didn’t respond to any of the mail, I can’t do anything about that,” Salvador Abreo said by phone. “And it’s already too late for her to be raising all these questions. She should have taken care of her business beforehand.”

Edited by hacker

1 hour ago, Newdoc said:

First, some people need to be in jail. Second, said people should have their assets forfeited and used as damages.

This is Central America level corruption.

Nah, just Bastrop. This dude is a real piece of work. Don't even ask about the FEMA funds provided to the county after the fires, the placement of an elementary school, etc. It was easier to opens businesses in Afghanistan than Bastrop. Fuck that place, quite glad to be out of there. 

2 minutes ago, miguelito said:

Is this the gestapo in Bastropo I was warned about?

maybe, but the real ones control the quilt industry on Main Street. 

Love this article about his previous arrest.

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/bastrop-county/bastrop-county-commissioner-indicted-on-abuse-of-official-capacity-charges/1031441906

city government, state government, national government, the only thing that is different is the size of the office building.  they are all fucking crooks.  it doestn't matter the party.  i don't know if the power corrupts or the power attracts the corruptible. 

these asswipes need to be thrown in jail.

Edited by crash_davis
  • Like 2

In the writ of execution Constable Abreo used to auction Lankford’s property off, Abreo wrote he received it on Feb. 20 — more than two months before the document was even created.

Gammon took the document before Lee County District Court Judge Carson Campbell. In a hearing on Nov. 13, Campbell signed an order, calling the writ of execution used to take Lankford and Vickers’ home “fraudulent.” 

So that's just it right?  Carry on?  No punitive measures to the party creating fraudulent documents?

11 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I have to tell you, that story is fucking infuriating. It's rage inducing. If anyone had a good proposal for turning this thing into an inescapable mockery that they have to relent on, I'd be happy to contribute. This shit is pure evil.

Banner? Billboard?

Snowden also admitted he got interested in the Taylor Road property because he thought it might make a good rental property. 

During the interview, as he discussed costs to repair the home, Snowden indicated he might have plans to end up owning it himself.

“Go over and look at how he [Vickers] lives and you can tell how he is. Trash thrown from one end of that place to the other. It will be a major deal," Snowden said. "Whoever buys that house, if I don’t wind up with it, is going to spend $30,000 to $50,000 just to get that house back livable."

KXAN asked Snowden how he could wind up with the home if his daughter bought it for herself.

“If I was to buy it from my daughter, I guess. My daughter is going to rent it. She’s going to use it as a piece of rental property,” Snowden explained. “I shouldn’t have used that word.”

The lawsuit against Ortiz is still pending in Bastrop County's civil court. Dates for hearings have not been set. The latest filing in the case shows Ortiz has not hired an attorney and is representing herself in the case. 

Wow

This one is going to get a Constable and a Bastrop County Sheriff's Office Lieutenant also at minimum.  It will be quite the scandal because it took help in multiple County Offices to pull it off.  The commissioner was also indicted last year for doing work on private roads.

https://www.kxan.com/news/investigations/man-loses-home-after-bastrop-county-leader-plants-no-trespassing-sign/1637084874

Edited by kevwun

16 hours ago, crash_davis said:

city government, state government, national government, the only thing that is different is the size of the office building.  they are all fucking crooks.  it doestn't matter the party.  i don't know if the power corrupts or the power attracts the corruptible. 

these asswipes need to be thrown in jail.

I think the power attracts those who are already corrupt.

There was a homestead exemption on the property, so it wasn't even allowed to be auctioned in the first place.  The constable helped fake paperwork and the Sheriff's deputy evicted the tenant without anyone having done the eviction process through the JP office.

Edited by kevwun

All that effort to steal a crappy house in Bastrop?  What's it worth, $100k?  The risk/reward ratio is just wrong.  Same reason I tell everyone "you don't have to worry about me stealing $1000 or even $10000.  When it gets to $2m, then you gotta worry about me."

All that effort to steal a crappy house in Bastrop?  What's it worth, $100k?  The risk/reward ratio is just wrong.  Same reason I tell everyone "you don't have to worry about me stealing $1000 or even $10000.  When it gets to $2m, then you gotta worry about me."

Username checks out coach.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

humble brag?

1 hour ago, Brothahorn said:

I just don't understand losing a home over $6k from a civil case.

The original civil case that was filed in Bastrop County was dismissed. They then turned around and filed in Lee County and, what the story appears to be inferring is with the help of the defendant's attorney, failed to notify her that the home was in danger of being forfeited. When her attorney didn't file an answer to the claim, a case that was dismissed in Bastrop County got a default judgement in Lee County. The story goes on to allege that there was some serious fraud committed to cover up the tracks. There was no way to know that it was coming. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, shakahorn said:

Houses this shitty are usually the target of things like this. They assume that the owners lack the education and the means to fight back and they are usually right. This usually happens with property that has very messy title due to intestate succession where the owners either don't know that they own it or are fighting among themselves over it too much to notice that it is being yanked from under them. Bubba and Co. didn't want the house, anyway. They wanted the land it sat on. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

The original civil case that was filed in Bastrop County was dismissed. They then turned around and filed in Lee County and, what the story appears to be inferring is with the help of the defendant's attorney, failed to notify her that the home was in danger of being forfeited. When her attorney didn't file an answer to the claim, a case that was dismissed in Bastrop County got a default judgement in Lee County. The story goes on to allege that there was some serious fraud committed to cover up the tracks. There was no way to know that it was coming. 

Can the surly law dogs chime in here?  What kind of trouble can the lawyer be looking at for that bullshit?  Seems that should be a losing the license type event.

2 hours ago, shakahorn said:

This is not about today's worth, this is about future worth. The area where 290 and 95 meet up is going to be developed. Hey, pull this off with 1, why not 2? 

This is fucking CRAZY. Anyone know what happened re: Bubba Snowden's indictment one year ago on abuse of official capacity? I guess he just got off?

Edit: quick google search said he plead guilty and spent a whopping one day in jail.

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20180710/Bastrop-Commissioner-sentenced-to-a-day-in-jail-for-abuse-of-capacity

Edited by irishtexan
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

the wife/attorney, rosanna abreo, ran against snowden in the last election.  i guess they're all on the same team when it comes to screwing over people.

1 hour ago, kevwun said:

and Snowden was on the committee that picked her husband to be appointed to a Constable's term that had resigned.  A very fucked up relationship there.

Sounds like a quid pro quo to keep her from running again or for supporting him against anyone else runs him......