2020 Senate Elections

Patrick Bateman

7 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

Finally GOLL is 100% right about ORD. There is no worse airport in the US to be stuck for long periods unless you flew in via international first class on United, then the Polaris lounge is top fucking notch. There is not one other single redeeming quality to that shitshow of an airport. 

I once had a 5 hour layover in ORD and can confirm it’s the worst to have to kill time.  I walked it from one end to the other, including the satellite terminals.  Its only redeeming feature are the two Rick Bayless torta shops. 

NOBODY WANTS NUTS ON CLARK, YOU RUBES!

Edited by Bateshorn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

Guess who came out of hiding and is dancing in support of his pal, Big bad John? Yaaauuuup. Ricky is on the Cornyn Bus. Started in College Station. I did some digging around. Apparently around 90 people came out and listened. Videos show some people actually wore masks. The seemed to make a point of it in this video below, but some of the news footage, not so much. Stay in that bubble of believing you matter, John.....

Someone in the comments pointed out how the GOP flag is shown more than the American flag. That seems to be a think with these "patriots."

This is a man who gets his BBQ from dickie’s. BBQ properly prepared is not dry and does not need sauce. 

Chorizo is pork and grease and vinegar and spices and delicious. 

Also that sunset valley curling center is a good bar now but they could never get the permits to actually build the curling center and I think they finally gave up last year. However Winston’s Jerk Chicken trick sits on that property and his jerk chicken and chicken curry are both pretty great. 

Finally GOLL is 100% right about ORD. There is no worse airport in the US to be stuck for long periods unless you flew in via international first class on United, then the Polaris lounge is top fucking notch. There is not one other single redeeming quality to that shitshow of an airport. 
The Barn? That place is a shithole and not in a good way

11 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Guess who came out of hiding and is dancing in support of his pal, Big bad John? Yaaauuuup. Ricky is on the Cornyn Bus. Started in College Station. I did some digging around. Apparently around 90 people came out and listened. Videos show some people actually wore masks. The seemed to make a point of it in this video below, but some of the news footage, not so much. Stay in that bubble of believing you matter, John.....

Someone in the comments pointed out how the GOP flag is shown more than the American flag. That seems to be a think with these "patriots."

You say Ricky around here and that typically means something different.  Yeah if he was stumping for a Republican that would really be something.

Edited by BehoId, The Underminer!
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

You say Ricky around here and that typically means something different.  Yeah if he was stumping for a Republican that would really be something.

My bad. Former governor, former DoE head, Rick. I don't have the same background knowledge of your teams I'm afraid.

53 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

I once had a 5 hour layover in ORD and can confirm it’s the worst to have to kill time.  I walked it from one end to the other, including the satellite terminals.  Its only redeeming feature are the two Rick Bayless torta shops. 

NOBODY WANTS NUTS ON CLARK, YOU RUBES!

Came here to post that. The Rick Bayless Torta Fronterra place has some of the best airport food I’ve ever had and I’ve been in five or six airports a week for the last 15 years.  It’s the rare airport meal that I would look for outside of an airport too. It’s also the lone positive thing that can be said about O’Hare. 

And if I ever happen get invited to the Wulaw house for dinner I’m showing up with my own food. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 3

The only drag with Torta Fronterra is there's not enough seating, so you have to walk across the concourse and sit in that shitty food court with all the poors with their Mickey D's and Panda Express. 

One evening Brisket texted me that he was stuck in ORD, and the only redeeming thing was his hot Russian waitress. I responded "Publican Tavern?", and he was like HOW THE FUCK DID YOU KNOW THAT?? Because I eat there about once a month, and there's a bunch of them working there? 

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The only drag with Torta Fronterra is there's not enough seating, so you have to walk across the concourse and sit in that shitty food court with all the poors with their Mickey D's and Panda Express. 

One evening Brisket texted me that he was stuck in ORD, and the only redeeming thing was his hot Russian waitress. I responded "Publican Tavern?", and he was like HOW THE FUCK DID YOU KNOW THAT?? Because I eat there about once a month, and there's a bunch of them working there? 

The marg's are also on point.  If it's during the time of the year when the weather will cooperate, I'll fly through ORD just to get Bayless and stretch my legs instead of taking the direct to SFO.  But only if the lay over is less than 2 hours.  Otherwise, no sandwich is worth it.

Fun fact: ORD is named after an ace and first naval WW2 Medal of Honor winner Edward O'Hare.  I figured it was some corrupt politician, because Chicago.  I've learned a lot of weird shit about that place killing time.

7 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

The marg's are also on point.  If it's during the time of the year when the weather will cooperate, I'll fly through ORD just to get Bayless and stretch my legs instead of taking the direct to SFO.  But only if the lay over is less than 2 hours.  Otherwise, no sandwich is worth it.

Fun fact: ORD is named after an ace and first naval WW2 Medal of Honor winner Edward O'Hare.  I figured it was some corrupt politician, because Chicago.  I've learned a lot of weird shit about that place killing time.

I love Chicago warts and all.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, BehoId, The Underminer! said:

Well there is the other Ricky that was Fitlump's gym friend.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

Yeah, you learn that when you have to exit one secure terminal to get into the other secure terminal they have a nice display you can stand in front of for an hour while waiting to go back through security.

Edited by TexasEd
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, Your Mom said:

Came here to post that. The Rick Bayless Torta Fronterra place has some of the best airport food I’ve ever had and I’ve been in five or six airports a week for the last 15 years.  It’s the rare airport meal that I would look for outside of an airport too. It’s also the lone positive thing that can be said about O’Hare. 

And if I ever happen get invited to the Wulaw house for dinner I’m showing up with my own food. 

You don’t like steak, lamb, pork or Italian food?  My wife does a good job with peasant food (casseroles, sausage and potatoes, chicken fried steak and mashed potatoes and stuff like that). Absence of liking one type of food does not equal eating shitty tasting food. Everyone has their preferences. 

52 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Yeah--that was the five-hour layover in February of which we are speaking.  Fucking horrible.

The worst is the fact that as you sit by the Publican Tavern watching people walk by, absolutely none of them are in any way attractive.  None.  At DAL, DFW, IAH, HOU, AUS, hell--even fucking SAT, you're guaranteed to see some attractive people walking by.  In three hours at the Publican Tavern watching people stream between the H and K concourses, we saw not a single one.

Fucking depressing.

28 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Best mega-city in the country hands down.

Ummmmm, ok.  I mean, that's a take.  It's a bad take.  But it's a take.

New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston are all better cities.  I don't know what you're characterizing as a "mega city," but Miami and Atlanta are also better.

• Hook 'Em 3

17 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Houston are all better cities.  I don't know what you're characterizing as a "mega city," but Miami and Atlanta are also better.

Bruh Houston? HOUSTON?! And you want to tell me about bad takes?! Atlanta is an urban sprawl hellscape with some cool culture. Houston is Atlanta without the culture.

Houston, Miami, and LA... are you confused thinking we're making a worst mega-city list?

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Echo all the ORD talk.  I despise that place.  The only thing worse than the drinking/eating options are the absolute lack of seating at the few places they have.  That and the super narrow concourses that feel like you are at the Astrodome during a playoff game.  I have passed by that Torta shop 100s of times,  but it’s always packed, so I just end up at the United club eating processed cheese squares and bloody Mary’s made with vodka out of a plastic bottle....

24 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Yeah--that was the five-hour layover in February of which we are speaking.  Fucking horrible.

The worst is the fact that as you sit by the Publican Tavern watching people walk by, absolutely none of them are in any way attractive.  None.  At DAL, DFW, IAH, HOU, AUS, hell--even fucking SAT, you're guaranteed to see some attractive people walking by.  In three hours at the Publican Tavern watching people stream between the H and K concourses, we saw not a single one.

Fucking depressing.

Your mistake seems to have been connecting through ORD in Feb.  Rookie mistake.

However, you are spot on about other cities being better and I generally like Chicago, despite the tax rates and shitty winter weather.  

18 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Bruh Houston? HOUSTON?! And you want to tell me about bad takes?! Atlanta is an urban sprawl hellscape with some cool culture. Houston is Atlanta without the culture.

Houston, Miami, and LA... are you confused thinking we're making a worst mega-city list?

I love houston. I’m glad I live here and not Chicago. If I didn’t live here I can’t conceive of one reason I’d ever go to houston as a guest/visitor. 
it’s a minority take. I’d love to hear him make the argument for Houston- better city than Chicago. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, Ted Lange said:

Echo all the ORD talk.  I despise that place.  The only thing worse than the drinking/eating options are the absolute lack of seating at the few places they have.  That and the super narrow concourses that feel like you are at the Astrodome during a playoff game.  I have passed by that Torta shop 100s of times,  but it’s always packed, so I just end up at the United club eating processed cheese squares and bloody Mary’s made with vodka out of a plastic bottle....

I'll nominate CLT as being worse for a "major" airport.  I put the word major in quotations because it was never built to be major until AA started cramming every route they could in there because of cheap gate fees.  Interior is small, narrow, and the food options are shitty.  God help you if your connecting gate is on the other end, as it usually seems to be.  Only thing that makes it better than ORD is the better weather makes it more reliable.  

4 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll nominate CLT as being worse for a "major" airport.  

Also, since we're ranking things, this is the right answer.

Charlotte, Atlanta, O'Hare bottom 3 airports.

Honorable mention to Kansas City for that dumbass setup with all of the bars and restaurants on the different level from the gates or whatever it is.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I love houston. I’m glad I live here and not Chicago. If I didn’t live here I can’t conceive of one reason I’d ever go to houston as a guest/visitor. 
it’s a minority take. I’d love to hear him make the argument for Houston- better city than Chicago. 

Houston is great, too. I love to visit. You've got to understand a little about me though. I also find things to like in Paris: both the Texas city and the one in France. Been to both and they each are their own distinct place. As unique as you and I.

Ok, sorry for continuing the derail. I gotta get back to work.

1 minute ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Houston is great, too. I love to visit. You've got to understand a little about me though. I also find things to like in Paris: both the Texas city and the one in France. Been to both and they each are their own distinct place. As unique as you and I.

Ok, sorry for continuing the derail. I gotta get back to work.

Indeed. Please keep up. We are ranking our least favorite airports right now. I think you are late for any thoughts about curling. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

Also, since we're tanking things, this is the right answer.

Charlotte, Atlanta, O'Hare bottom 3 airports.

Honorable mention to Kansas City for that dumbass setup with all of the bars and restaurants on the different level from the gates or whatever it is.

Worst thing about MCI is the whole place smells like old fryer grease from that shitty burger and dog joint at the end of C terminal. 

I'll add MCO for the shear number of screaming kids and shitacular food options 

47 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Fucking depressing.

Thank you, I was hoping we weren't going to let that comment slide. 

37 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

One of these is not like the others. NYC is peerless and LA is a global city. The list after those two is open to interpretation, but I'd put SF next. 

48 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

If you think Houston lacks culture, you're absolutely doing it wrong. Folks don't want to visit, somewhat justifiably, because the weather sucks and there's no public transportation worth a shit. But lets not pretend that Houston doesn't have one of the top artistic centers in not just the country, but the world. It has a renown Symphony, Ballet, multiple theater companiesof renown both large and small, and an impressive museum district. It has world class food, a wonderfully unique latin culture in areas, a well as the largest Vietnamese population in the US. I'll cut it off right there, but just because some folks don't like to participate in those things, doesn't mean they don't exist. So tell me more about the culture that Atlanta has, but Houston lacks, please. 

17 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I come in this thread for updates on the Senate race and I'm getting airport talk and Wulaw's shitty food takes.  What in the wide wide world of sports is agoin on here?  

I'm about to punish every one you motherfuckers by turning this shitshow up to 11 and making this a Houston vs. Dallas vs. Everyone Else thread. That's what's going on here. 

Fuck you people. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

21 minutes ago, Longhornfan1024 said:

I come in this thread for updates on the Senate race and I'm getting airport talk and Wulaw's shitty food takes.  What in the wide wide world of sports is agoin on here?  

We're trying to keep ourselves from going Lord of the Flies before next Tuesday.

It's barely working.

ETA Fuck you, @SydneyCarton. The only people that think Houston doesn't suck are Houstonites or Houstonians or whatever you jackals call yourselves.

Edited by BradInATX
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Akita 41 at the wHorn fence

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

We're trying to keep ourselves from going Lord of the Flies before next Tuesday.

It's barely working.

ETA Fuck you, @SydneyCarton. The only people that think Houston doesn't suck are Houstonites or Houstonians or whatever you jackals call yourselves.

Out of rep for lord of Flies reference  

look- nothing Sydney said is wrong. It’s all spot on accurate and part of the big reason I love houston and think houston is such a wonderful and livable big city. 
but none of that is what I’d consider a tourist attraction unless you mean it in a regional sense- like I’m going to drive in from centex or Louisiana, go to an Astros game, galleria, eat someplace great, spend the night in a hotel and check out the museum the next day on a long weekend. Cool. Absolutely. But getting on a plane and flying in from St Louis or Denver or something like that to “do Houston as a tourist”   Such a thing doesn’t compute to me. 

15 minutes ago, BradInATX said:

It's barely working.

We usually call ourselves comfortable, happy, and content. Occasionally some poor bastards have to call themselves "flooded," however, i'll give you that. Houston is the tits. Now, you can fucking hate living there, just like you couldn't pay me to live in Austin anymore. That's cool. But denying that we have culture and world class shit is myopic bullshit. Now, do you want graduate this from a good natured tickle-fest to a serious conversation? Because I will skull-fuck you (and subsequently this thread for everyone else) the way TTomTerrific is currently skull-fucking $3 bottles of thunderbird 6-10 times a day. 

7 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

look- nothing Sydney said is wrong. It’s all spot on accurate and part of the big reason I love houston and think houston is such a wonderful and livable big city. 
but none of that is what I’d consider a tourist attraction unless you mean it in a regional sense- like I’m going to drive in from centex or Louisiana, go to an Astros game, galleria, eat someplace great, spend the night in a hotel and check out the museum the next day on a long weekend. Cool. Absolutely. But getting on a plane and flying in from St Louis or Denver or something like that to “do Houston as a tourist”   Such a thing doesn’t compute to me. 

Pretty much this. I get why no one would ever vacation here. But it's a wonderful place to live. Of course, get back to me in 10-15 years after more climate change, rising sea levels, and an oil and gas industry that is probably transitioning. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Think bigger. Before we moved to Texas, we flew into Houston and hit the wonderful museum complex including the outstanding children's museum, the firefighter museum (that may not be the exact name), took in the sights and sounds, a game, the NASA complex, and then traveled to Galveston for Moody Gardens and two days at the beach/Strand area. We probably did more, we were there for an entire week for one of the kid's birthdays. We enjoyed the heck out of that trip. Now, that being said. Traffic is unpleasant, especially with small children in the car when there is a pile-up. But having lived in a college town with horrific game day traffic, everything is relative. When you were in the Wulaw Family Adventure Mobile and going around, I was rooting for you all because it is just that inquiring open minded spirit of 'what next?' (in a positive way not a dark way) that can really teach us things not just about our home place but other places as well. I have no beef with most places, they've got their good and bad at one time or another. I wish I had the funds to travel more, but we know our own place pretty well by becoming 'home tourists' whenever we move someplace so that will have to do for now.

Also, Austin is amazing. Lot of history and things to see. I had never had conveyor belt sushi til I went there. That was fascinating!

• Hook 'Em 1

58 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

I'll nominate CLT as being worse for a "major" airport.  I put the word major in quotations because it was never built to be major until AA started cramming every route they could in there because of cheap gate fees.  Interior is small, narrow, and the food options are shitty.  God help you if your connecting gate is on the other end, as it usually seems to be.  Only thing that makes it better than ORD is the better weather makes it more reliable.  

I fucking DESPISE that food court at the center of the CLT. Having to travel through there to get to an opposite side gate is a beating.

10 minutes ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

Think bigger. Before we moved to Texas, we flew into Houston and hit the wonderful museum complex including the outstanding children's museum, the firefighter museum (that may not be the exact name), took in the sights and sounds, a game, the NASA complex, and then traveled to Galveston for Moody Gardens and two days at the beach/Strand area. We probably did more, we were there for an entire week for one of the kid's birthdays. We enjoyed the heck out of that trip. Now, that being said. Traffic is unpleasant, especially with small children in the car when there is a pile-up. But having lived in a college town with horrific game day traffic, everything is relative. When you were in the Wulaw Family Adventure Mobile and going around, I was rooting for you all because it is just that inquiring open minded spirit of 'what next?' (in a positive way not a dark way) that can really teach us things not just about our home place but other places as well. I have no beef with most places, they've got their good and bad at one time or another. I wish I had the funds to travel more, but we know our own place pretty well by becoming 'home tourists' whenever we move someplace so that will have to do for now.

Also, Austin is amazing. Lot of history and things to see. I had never had conveyor belt sushi til I went there. That was fascinating!

Absolutely. I’ve done all those things. And I could easily put together a week of stuff for a visitor to do in Htown that they’d enjoy. But I’d rather go to NY or SF or Chicago or LA or Philly or Seattle or a bunch of other places to play tourist than HTown- that’s all I was saying. 
mans tbose are just urban areas that does take into account all the nature type stuff. 
mine been to all 50 states and if there’s a major tourist area I’ve probably done it. A week in houston wouldn’t make my top 20 places to spend a week as a tourist list. But- I choose to live here when I don’t ha e to bc it’s pretty awesome place to live. 
friendly. Cheap. Tolerant. Accessible. It’s awesome in its way.