2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story

horn4life

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I think it’s cute that the republicans are trying to make this a “humanitarian crisis.” That’s gonna work about as well as “we support coverage for preexisting conditions.” The public is dumb but not that dumb. 

They're pretty fucking dumb man.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

I think it’s cute that the republicans are trying to make this a “humanitarian crisis.” That’s gonna work about as well as “we support coverage for preexisting conditions.” The public is dumb but not that dumb. 

Considering every other "humanitarian crisis" such as the Syrian refugees was met with "not my problem" by the Republican White House, it's a lie as believable as "biggest inauguration evah!"

1 hour ago, relapse98 said:

So strange.

Iconoclast wants to overthrow the Iranian government.

But doesn't like how it ended up for people in Arab countries that tried to overthrow their government.

So strange.

The point I was making was respect to the effectiveness of the Arab Spring which didn’t bring democracy as hoped except in Tunisia. Also, Iran once freed from the shackles of Islamic theocracy will have a much better chance of trying to make democracy work. Iran has since 1906 Revolution been on a path to one day have true democracy not the bullshit Islamic version they have now,.

Edited by Iconoclast Texan

29 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

The point I was making was respect to the effectiveness of the Arab Spring which didn’t bring democracy as hoped except in Tunisia. Also, Iran once freed from the shackles of Islamic theocracy will have a much better chance of trying to make democracy work. Iran has since 1906 Revolution been on a path to one day have true democracy not the bullshit Islamic version they have now,.

OK, cool, now do Saudi Arabia. 

40 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

thanks, ike!

1 hour ago, JimmyJames said:

Don't you recall the rallies?  It's not new calling it a humanitarian crisis.

Trump:  What are we going to do?

Crowd:  Build a wall

Trump:  Who's going to pay for it?

Crowd:  Mexico

Trump:  Why are we doing it?

Crowd:  This is a humanitarian crisis — a crisis of the heart and a crisis of the soul.  These children are used as human pawns by vicious coyotes and ruthless gangs. One in three women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek up through Mexico. Women and children are the biggest victims, by far, of our broken system. This is the tragic reality of illegal immigration on our southern border. This is the cycle of human suffering that I am determined to end.

I recall being impressed how a crowd of 5K could chant that in unison.

• Like 3

The simplest way to describe immigration legislation and this shutdown in the simplest form,  is that a bill passed one house.  That bill would easily pass the other house.  And in each instance a GOP leader of the second house voting refused to allow a vote... because... the bills would pass...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, horn4life said:

The simplest way to describe immigration legislation and this shutdown in the simplest form,  is that a bill passed one house.  That bill would easily pass the other house.  And in each instance a GOP leader of the second house voting refused to allow a vote... because... the bills would pass...

Screen-Shot-2019-01-14-at-4-08-17-PM.png

10 minutes ago, horn4life said:

If Trump won't sign it and it doesn't have enough votes to over-ride the veto, it does nothing to solve the impasse.  Just theatre and a waste of time, and Trump gives no shits that anyone thinks it's his fault or if people think a veto will change minds. 

1)Keep the government closed

2)Send him a bill that he will sign

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

4)Impeach/Convict and remove him and start over with Pence.

Edited by Whitman

43 minutes ago, Whitman said:

If Trump won't sign it and it doesn't have enough votes to over-ride the veto, it does nothing to solve the impasse.  Just theatre and a waste of time, and Trump gives no shits that anyone thinks it's his fault or if people think a veto will change minds. 

3)Send him a bill that he will veto but has the support to over-ride in both houses

Talk to your friend, Mitch McConnell. The Democrats already voted on a bill that the Senate can pick up and vote on yet Mitch the Bitch won't lift a finger because he's a massive pussy turtle who fears going against Trump. At some point, Mitch needs to decide if fully losing the Senate in 2020 is what he wants to be known for. At some point this is going to blow back on him. It's not incumbent on the Democrats to bend over and give Trump or McConnell what they want. And the PR war isn't going their way because the only people who care about this wall are MAGA dipshits.

• Like 1

If McConnell had the votes to over-ride the guaranteed veto he would put the bill on the floor tonight.  The Senate does not have the 2/3 votes with the current House Bill, so it would just be theatre.  I thought I read something earlier today where there was talk of individual bills for certain depts, but then read that Trump said he would veto those if it was done.  Something has to give whether it is a few more Senators or a different bill.

• Fuck You 1

7 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

See, what you did there?

People think Republicans are a monolith. We are not a monolith! In fact, Republicans alone are an extremely diverse group of people.

You are three types, actually.

1) deplorable people. i.e., racist, homophobic anti-Muslim, anti-brown people of any flavor;

2) deeply stupid people; the kind who have no idea about critical thinking.  The kind like my barber who says that we need a wall, because do rich people have a wall?? .   I asked him why he wanted to build a wall all the way across Canada,  because rich people have walls around their houses - - - he was confused.

3) Deeply gullible people; seemingly otherwise good neighbors and church members, but folks who have never followed history or politics or government,  who have no idea about NATO or foreign policy - or how the world interconnects.  Folks who don't read books, who think China is paying a tariff, folks who never watch anything but Fox, and who only know whatever talking point that Hannity feeds them.  These are the people I know who were stunned when the GOP took the House in 2010, who kept telling me that they were going to "repeal Obamcare"!!   I asked how they could do that?  They said "We took the House!!"     They had no idea that there was a Senate with a Democratic majority, and a Democratic President with Veto powers.      Several were pissed to find out that nothing had changed.  Why, I don't know, but turnip truck falling off ignorant.    IOW, Trump's people.

Now, there are some folks who can be placed in more than one category, but there are not really any other categories.   Tahoe (and his donuts) is not deeply stupid, and he is not deeply gullible about how things work.   But he supports the Roy Moores and Trumps of the world despite the clear damage done to all of our institution, the attack on the Judiciary and the press and the FBI and Justice and the rule of law and science.    That slips him and his fellow travelers into the deplorable fold.

Edited by Gatorubet
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitman said:

If McConnell had the votes to over-ride the guaranteed veto he would put the bill on the floor tonight.  The Senate does not have the 2/3 votes with the current House Bill, so it would just be theatre.  I thought I read something earlier today where there was talk of individual bills for certain depts, but then read that Trump said he would veto those if it was done.  Something has to give whether it is a few more Senators or a different bill.

Make him veto the bill.

Oh, that's right, McConnell is a party hack.

6 minutes ago, Whitman said:

The Senate already passed the same bill as the current House bill 100-0.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Whitman said:

If McConnell had the votes to over-ride the guaranteed veto he would put the bill on the floor tonight.  The Senate does not have the 2/3 votes with the current House Bill, so it would just be theatre.

There is no observable evidence to support this statement and plenty of evidence to indicate this statement is false.

The bill is identical to the one that already passed the senate back in December 100-0. 

McConnell isn’t going to take a vote because he is a spineless POS. 

The votes are there. 

The Senate would have to vote on the new bill. They won't because pussy turtle won't put it up for a vote even though it's identical to the one they voted 100-0 on. Are you purposefully being dense or is that the West Virginia in you coming out?

6 minutes ago, Whitman said:

If passed by both then why isn't it on Trump's desk to sign or veto?

5 minutes ago, lemonlime said:

Senate passed it 100-0 last session in 2018.  House in 2019 passed the same bill.  McConnell refuses to put the bill up for a vote before the 2019 Senate.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Senate would have to vote on the new bill. They won't because pussy turtle won't put it up for a vote even though it's identical to the one they voted 100-0 on. Are you purposefully being dense or is that the West Virginia in you coming out?

I was gonna give him the Julian calendar benefit, but this is the 14th.

Okay, here’s the full story of how this happened:

Trump, McConnell, and Ryan had an agreement on the CR last year with 1.7 Billion allocated for border security . 

McConnell passed the CR 100-0 in the Senate...it then went to the house.

Before the vote Trump called Ryan and said he wouldn’t sign any legislation without 5.7 Billion for the wall. 

Ryan then passed a different CR the president would sign with the 5.7 wall money...then it went back to the Senate...

McConnell couldn’t even get 50 votes for the Ryan/Trump CR... this started the shutdown.

Dems take the House in January and immediately pass the CR that was passed in the Senate 100-0

McConnell refuses to take a vote because the president will not sign it without the 5.7 billion wall money.

This is where we are

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Holy shit, dude. Try to keep up with current events. 

No, it was said here passed.  It has not passed the current Congress and simply needs to. 

PS: I think the ERA passed the 37th state last year.  Will it now be added to the Constitutional Amendments?

Edited by Whitman
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

Hey look, deflection. Weird. 

Deflection or is that actually the current rules of Congress? 

Maybe I misunderstood your post.  Exactly how is it a deflection when talking about passing a bill and then discussing the current rules of how/when it is to be passed and sent to The President?  

• Fuck You 1

You, my friend, are terrible at strategy. You seem to think any move that doesn’t immediately yield one of those options is pointless.
Think of it this way: HOW do we get to one of those options? Let’s just look at the third one - how do we get a bill to that point? By breaking down the enemy’s defenses. Submit bill after bill. Force Turtle to refuse to put it up for a vote, even though the American people demand it. Senator by Senator, they will go to Mitch and say “put that fucker up for vote or I’m gonna get killed next year.” Keep applying pressure, and the enemy breaks.
“We can’t capture Berlin immediately and end the war tomorrow, so landing at Normandy is a stupid waste of time.”
The Dems can defeat the GOP hedgerow by hedgerow, and the cool thing is that they hardly even need to try.

We are already at one of those options, the shutdown.  The strategy is for those in Washington to get to one of the other three.  How they do it is up to them.  Unless there is another option that I have missed, it is just time and bitching and posturing on their part until they get there.  The orange man in the White House says he aint budging. 

Edited by Whitman
  • Fuck You 1

38 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

flew from Love to Chicago today and was through in 5 minutes.  I've been on 5 SWA flights the last 8 days and none have been more than half full....odd. 

Probably most of this was a lady notified the Hartsfield-Jackson TSA that she had a gun in her carry-on (she claimed she forgot about it) and notified them once she got to Japan.

8 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

See, what you did there?

People think Republicans are a monolith. We are not a monolith! In fact, Republicans alone are an extremely diverse group of people.

Not really, you haven’t given a shit what happens to anyone else the past two years.  Stock portfolio looks good, taxes went down.  Fuck yeah America is great again.   Broken up families at the border?  Murders in Charlottesville?  America’s world-reputation in the shitter?  Russians undermining the validity of our elections?  A President obstructing justice and tearing apart the Republic?  Well, nothing substantive comes without some tradeoffs.

But heaven forbid your flight get delayed.  Then it’s on, butches.  Impeach all these motherfuckers!

The least common denominator that ties the “diverse” community of still-Republicans together is a void of empathy.

Edited by Goredho
  • Like 1

• Pancho changed the title to 2023 Republican Government Shutdown: Same Shit, Same Story