Good Movies You Have No Interest In Seeing

Neonmoon

What are we defining as a good movie?  I enjoyed the Post actually, didn't think I would.  

I've never seen the highest grossing movie of all time, "Avatar" because the script sounds like it was written for the mentally disabled.  

I guess "Gone With the Wind" is a long-standing classic that gets rave reviews.  Never saw it, never will. Costume Dramas aren't my thing.  Wardrobes don't cover shitty scripts, IMO.  

21 minutes ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'll add:

dances with wolves

terms of endearment 

A clockwork orange

Interesting list because all three of these movies mean something to me.

Dances w/ Wolves.  Great movie; better soundtrack.

Terms of Endearment - Really hard to watch because that was my family growing up (minus the cheating and cancer).  

A Clockwork Orange - Quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.

As per my own list: Probably any musical.  I hate musicals.

1 hour ago, bschoolprof said:

virtually every black movie that guilty white critics go nuts over.  It's very racist, I know, but I have zero interest in seeing these movies and never do.    

Like which specific movies? Would you ever watch a movie with a black main character? 

22 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Like which specific movies? 

Stuff like moonlight, 12 years a slave, hidden figures, Black panther (although I saw that one), etc. I tend to stay away either because the stories look so predictable, or they are likely overhyped for sociopolitical reasons. Maybe they are great films, but they just don’t interest me very much. 

Would you ever watch a movie with a black main character? 

Lulz. Of course. And I have a few black friends too. 

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

Stuff like moonlight, 12 years a slave, hidden figures, Black panther (although I saw that one), etc. I tend to stay away either because the stories look so predictable, or they are likely overhyped for sociopolitical reasons. Maybe they are great films, but they just don’t interest me very much. 

Lulz. Of course. And I have a few black friends too. 

I guess being a racist does mean you might miss out on a great movie or two. A small price to pay for staying devoted to your cause though. Props. 

Any of The Godfathers, Goodfellas, Tombstone, Resevoir Dogs, Django, Ben Hur, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET. No appeal in any of those to me whatsoever, I feel like I’ve heard enough about all of them.

Jesus h Christ man, that’s a handful if some of the greatest movies of all time, Godfather I &II, Ben Hur, Raiders, Goodfellas, Tombstone???

My list:

ET
Lion King
Toy Story
West Side Story

Any of The Godfathers, Goodfellas, Tombstone, Resevoir Dogs, Django, Ben Hur, Raiders of the Lost Ark, ET. No appeal in any of those to me whatsoever, I feel like I’ve heard enough about all of them.

What...the...eff?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

I'll add:

dances with wolves

terms of endearment 

A clockwork orange

If you like historical fiction at all, DWW is worth the watch.

It isn't the best ever, but it's a nice story...

7 hours ago, Lobo said:

I guess "Gone With the Wind" is a long-standing classic that gets rave reviews.  Never saw it, never will. Costume Dramas aren't my thing.  Wardrobes don't cover shitty scripts, IMO.  

This is a strange response to me. If you don’t want to see Gone With the Wind, that’s fine. But how can you form an opinion about the script of a movie you haven’t seen (not to mention imply every period piece has a poor script, which is maybe even more problematic)?

1 minute ago, Lou said:

Any Star Wars movie. Saw the first one and found it boring.

other things that are boring:

fireworks

scoring a touchdown in a real football game

getting laid

shooting your first deer

6 minutes ago, tantric superman said:

You no interest in gone with the wind guys?

Morons.

Lobster?  Just no interest in eating crustaceans. 

Some people have a problem with the slavery portrayal, and the whole the great southern pre war civil war culture angle.  And that's fair, but it's an amazing piece of cinema history, and it's pretty damn well done.  I watch it when it comes on.  

10 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
25 minutes ago, slorch said:
other things that are boring:
fireworks
scoring a touchdown in a real football game
getting laid
shooting your first deer

You think fireworks are exciting? Are you 8?

If I am lighting and directing them, fuck yes.

Better than chasing hefty latinas with a chicken leg tied around your neck...

Edited by slorch

1 hour ago, Macanudo said:

You're an idiot.

First movie was cool, I was in Jr high, saw it about 4 times the first 3 months it was out.  Saw the second installment, liked it. Walked out of the third the when the Ewoks made their appearance.  

It's not serious sci fi, and has always had a merchandising first, story line second feel to it.

Edited by Onboard 2.0

1 minute ago, texashorne said:

Schindlers List. I know I need to but damn what a emotional investment.

Godfather Trilogy. I know I need to but dont have the time. 

The Godfather is actually a 2 part series, lots of people make that mistake.  And it's well worth the time. Part 2 may be the better story IMO.

Don't know quite how you figure out it's a good movie if you haven't seen it. 

Movies with good reputations that I don't want to see:

My Left Foot

The King's Speech

10 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

Titanic. Never have, never will. 

Saw it. I know it puts me in the minority, but if they had taken out the whole Jack and Rose love story, it would have been a really good dramatization of the sinking.