Donald Trump 2019

Francisco 2.0

I said it before, but it bears repeating.  If you ask yourself the question "How dumb does Trump think the American people are?", the answer is "ALL THE DUMB."  And...he's correct.

Shit, he could have held up a blank piece of paper, said that the parties wrote everything down in lemon juice, and when the time is right, he'll heat the paper up to show the world what it says.  And the American people will swallow that bullshit more easily than Linda Lovelace ever swallowed anything.

We are too stupid to remain a going concern.  Time to file intellectual bankruptcy.  Trump's actually the perfect person to lead us now.

4 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, when the vast majority of your base has never executed any legal document much beyond a marriage certificate and a mortgage (which should tip them off right there), it's pretty easy to convince them that a single piece of paper is all it takes for two sovereign nations to come to a trade agreement.

The rest of the country rightly expects that hundreds of lawyers would be involved, and when it's all said and done, the final documents would number in the thousands of pages.  But hey, "he talks like us".

Well, if I remember correctly, FDR, Stalin, and Churchill divided Europe up on a cocktail napkin.  Not saying that was the whole agreement but it does happen.

5 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I said it before, but it bears repeating.  If you ask yourself the question "How dumb does Trump think the American people are?", the answer is "ALL THE DUMB."  And...he's correct.

Shit, he could have held up a blank piece of paper, said that the parties wrote everything down in lemon juice, and when the time is right, he'll heat the paper up to show the world what it says.  And the American people will swallow that bullshit more easily than Linda Lovelace ever swallowed anything.

We are too stupid to remain a going concern.  Time to file intellectual bankruptcy.  Trump's actually the perfect person to lead us now.

How do we go about wrapping up Murica?

Just now, David Dennison said:

How do we go about wrapping up Murica?

We don't.  It's not going to be a pre-packaged deal, or a Chapter 11.  Naah, we're just gonna go straight to Chapter 7 intellectual liquidation.  We'll produce three things of value for the world stage: 1) a breed of oligarchs that will make the Rooskies blush, 2) vapid, blockbuster mass entertainment, and 3) fast food.  Wait -- add a 4th thing: a massive high-tech military to protect the oligarchs' interests.

So, all things considered, most Americans will hardly notice the change.

• Like 1

President Trump: "Nancy is a mess. The Democratic Party is a mess.

They're doing everything they can to win the election in 2020. They are guilty of many crimes, many, many crimes, what they've done. They're guilty of many, many crimes."

crap, he knows our secret plan.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, when the vast majority of your base has never executed any legal document much beyond a marriage certificate and a mortgage (which should tip them off right there), it's pretty easy to convince them that a single piece of paper is all it takes for two sovereign nations to come to a trade agreement.

The rest of the country rightly expects that hundreds of lawyers would be involved, and when it's all said and done, the final documents would number in the thousands of pages.  But hey, "he talks like us".

Had a Trumpkin brag about his account and how he’s crushing it at his 2 bit law firm.  Our buddy took a closer look at his phone and notified him that’s the amount left on his mortgage to be paid off.  We laughed.  Really hard.  He just sat there playing with his phone looking for the right account which showed his loot... never found it.  

/CSB

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

wat.  he pulled up his mortgage balance and acted like that was his checking account?

Just wait until 29 years from now when he pays off his mortgage and then kills himself because he thinks he's flat broke. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jograves said:

It's just gawddamn fucking ridiculous. FUCK! I just can't. I need to stop coming to this forum. I need to stop listening to the news. I need to be off every platform. I can't do this anymore. He's a fucking clown. I'm too old for this shitshow to be happening at this point in my life. 

This fits me to a T, save the too old part.  I think I could more easily maintain my sanity if I didn't know how ignorant this country continues to be.  Sad.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Todd Gack said:

Has to be a troll, right?  Maybe not from his toddler mind personally, but from someone close to him.  Kind of a way to control another news cycle... I dunno, I'm honestly dumbfounded as to how a functioning adult would think people would believe such nonsense.  

Everything coming out of this White House should be assumed to be a troll/distraction/bullshit until proven otherwise.  Literally everything.  

Trump is going to be running from the Mueller Report for the remainder of his life.  Not because of the crimes necessarily, but his incompetence and all the instances of his subordinates ignoring his orders.  The world knows we don’t have a president.  Trump is trying his hardest to prevent his supporters from discovering his power is mostly an illusion of deceptive rhetoric and media manipulations.

Probably already been posted but might as well pile on.

Trump also trails each Democrat among independents by at least 15 points, so even if you think the sample is off in some way, that’s a pretty grim starting point. Trump won independents in 2016, according to exit polls, by four points. He trails Biden among them by 30 points.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/11/more-brutal-poll-numbers-trump/

5 minutes ago, cactusflinthead said:

Probably already been posted but might as well pile on.

Trump also trails each Democrat among independents by at least 15 points, so even if you think the sample is off in some way, that’s a pretty grim starting point. Trump won independents in 2016, according to exit polls, by four points. He trails Biden among them by 30 points.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/06/11/more-brutal-poll-numbers-trump/

i've yet to see a single poll (or story about a poll) that is good news for trump, or trump voters.

even the cnn "the majority of voters think trump will be reelected" article wasn't exactly the story that you expected when you read the headline.

a michigan poll i saw this morning had bernie and biden both leading trump 53-41.  greatest economy ever and still stuck at 41.  that should tell you something.

Hey at least the clown in chief was entertaining today. The secret plan on a sheet of paper in his jacket pocket bit was first rate stuff. 

You guys giving trump credit for distracting people from the news are giving this joker far too much credit. The dumbass would pull this stunt if the whole world locked arms and sung his praises. It’s just what he does because that’s what his mental disorder and mental decline requires him to do. 

The economy you say?

Q asked about that.

As ominous as the general election matchups in the new Quinnipiac poll are some of the other questions it posed. For instance, the vast majority of the country (7 in 10 people) regards the economy as good — a finding that would appear to be Trump’s ace in the hole. But 41 percent say it’s good and also credit Trump for that. Among independents, 6 in 10 either say the economy is not good or that Trump deserves no credit. Thirty-four percent think it’s good, thanks to Trump.

42 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i've yet to see a single poll (or story about a poll) that is good news for trump, or trump voters.

even the cnn "the majority of voters think trump will be reelected" article wasn't exactly the story that you expected when you read the headline.

a michigan poll i saw this morning had bernie and biden both leading trump 53-41.  greatest economy ever and still stuck at 41.  that should tell you something.

Its like you guys learned nothing from our predicting the demise of Ou sucks football.

1 hour ago, The Royal We said:

This fits me to a T, save the too old part.  I think I could more easily maintain my sanity if I didn't know how ignorant this country continues to be.  Sad.

This has been an internal struggle of mine in the Trump years. Adopt the "ignorance is bliss" mantra vs. stay informed and mad. I don't want to be ignorant and I hate being mad. It's a lose lose. 

A happy medium I've found is deleting twitter and facebook and turning off cable news. Limit my news intake to reading WAPO in the morning (no opinion pieces) and only watching CNBC/Bloomberg. Now, what to do about surlyhorns? 

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

This has been an internal struggle of mine in the Trump years. Adopt the "ignorance is bliss" mantra vs. stay informed and mad. I don't want to be ignorant and I hate being mad. It's a lose lose. 

A happy medium I've found is deleting twitter and facebook and turning off cable news. Limit my news intake to reading WAPO in the morning (no opinion pieces) and only watching CNBC/Bloomberg. Now, what to do about surlyhorns? 

Surly is my main source of information. I can't stand cable news or endless opinion shows. If there is a hot story or actual news, I'll watch for about 20 minutes. Otherwise, it's The New Yorker, Surly, and NPR (which I also can't listen to for very long. "I'm here with Kumba, a poor man affected by something bad. [fade up audio of flies buzzing and crying child] Kumba says he believes in [whatever], but he is a victim of [whatever]. Kumbal tells us through a translator of his story: Ubba dubba quiero ich habe populi Romani. I am humble and sympathetic and stupid. Here's what I think...." The sad voice of the reporter is followed by the sad and sympathetic voice of the anchor.

I hate all of them. Too boring. Too formulaic. 

24 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

14 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Surly is my main source of information. I can't stand cable news or endless opinion shows. If there is a hot story or actual news, I'll watch for about 20 minutes. Otherwise, it's The New Yorker, Surly, and NPR (which I also can't listen to for very long. "I'm here with Kumba, a poor man affected by something bad. [fade up audio of flies buzzing and crying child] Kumba says he believes in [whatever], but he is a victim of [whatever]. Kumbal tells us through a translator of his story: Ubba dubba quiero ich habe populi Romani. I am humble and sympathetic and stupid. Here's what I think...." The sad voice of the reporter is followed by the sad and sympathetic voice of the anchor.

A part of the problem is many Americans have forgotten the importance/value of being informed and its connection to being a responsible American citizen.  

It has also become more challenging to be well informed.   So much deception and noise have saturated the information space with no one acting as good faith reliable neutral watchdog because the bad actors have too strong of a foothold.  In fact, they now run our government. 

If we are to ever really move forward as a people and avoid our own destruction, this issue will need to be addressed first.  

• Like 1

Just now, Hugo Stiglitz said:

A part of the problem is many Americans have forgotten the importance/value of being informed and its connection to being a responsible American citizen.  

It has also become more challenging to be well informed.   So much deception and noise have saturated the information space with no one acting as good faith reliable neutral watchdog because the bad actors have too strong of a foothold.  In fact, they now run our government. 

If we are to ever really move forward as a people and avoid our own destruction, this issue will need to be addressed first.  

Yep.  I was on a trip with the in laws and saw MIL get duped by fake news on facebook no less than two times.  She spouted it out as fact before she had even finished reading the headline.

13 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I disagree.

My hypothesis is that there used to be three types of citizens, generally: 1) well-informed citizens.  These people actually consumed sources like the NYT, read news magazines and the like.  2) Basically informed citizens.  These folks watched Uncle Walter on the CBS evening news, and that's about it.  They had a general feel for what was going on in the nation and abroad, which was presented to them in a relatively even-handed manner.  3) Uninformed citizens.  These folks were out on the farm, stayed out on the farm, and didn't give a shit (alternate version: they worked the assembly line, and didn't give a shit).

Now, we have a huge class that has taken the place of the second and third groups: people who THINK they're well-informed, but aren't.  These folks listen to hours of Fox news, so they MUST be well-informed.  But that's like someone who consumes 8,000 calories a day of McDonald's thinking they're well-fed: they're consuming a lot, sure, but it's actually killing them.  IF they were aware that it's nutritionally bankrupt, that would be one thing.  But they think the OPPOSITE.  They think that by shoveling garbage into their heads, they are well-informed, when the actual OPPOSITE is true.

There's no fixing that.  Our country is one massive Dunning Kruger effect.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Re the NPR heart string stories. I've somewhat resigned to the fact that I cannot keep paying attention to the plight of much of the world. That really will ruin your existence. Especially when coupled with the realization that you can't do anything to change it. 

I've gone down the rabbit hole in the past on the average daily life in Syria, Yemen,  and various African countries and it takes you to a dark dark place. I had to just accept the fact that the world for the most part is a shitty place and human beings, left unchecked, are power hungry assholes willing to lie, cheat and kill in order to gain power, and in many cases lie, cheat and kill to survive the wrath of the power hungry. Now I just try to keep an eye on geopolitics and try to ignore the pain and suffering of the constituents of the various bad actors. 

I'd rather play Risk than watch Schindler's List for the rest of my life. 

4 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

I had to just accept the fact that the world for the most part is a shitty place and human beings, left unchecked, are power hungry assholes willing to lie, cheat and kill in order to gain power, and in many cases lie, cheat and kill to survive the wrath of the power hungry.

That's absolutely true, but here's the punchline to that joke that's being shouted from the stage repeatedly these days: we used to delude ourselves into saying "but America is DIFFERENT.  We are a nation founded on an ideal, and while we have been far from perfect, we are making progress."  Nope.  Not true.  We are just as wicked and cruel as every place you named.  And we are eager to be even worse.

main-qimg-bdf04b5c27f053fb356d71d54dd4cf

13 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I disagree.

My hypothesis is that there used to be three types of citizens, generally: 1) well-informed citizens.  These people actually consumed sources like the NYT, read news magazines and the like.  2) Basically informed citizens.  These folks watched Uncle Walter on the CBS evening news, and that's about it.  They had a general feel for what was going on in the nation and abroad, which was presented to them in a relatively even-handed manner.  3) Uninformed citizens.  These folks were out on the farm, stayed out on the farm, and didn't give a shit (alternate version: they worked the assembly line, and didn't give a shit).

Now, we have a huge class that has taken the place of the second and third groups: people who THINK they're well-informed, but aren't.  These folks listen to hours of Fox news, so they MUST be well-informed.  But that's like someone who consumes 8,000 calories a day of McDonald's thinking they're well-fed: they're consuming a lot, sure, but it's actually killing them.  IF they were aware that it's nutritionally bankrupt, that would be one thing.  But they think the OPPOSITE.  They think that by shoveling garbage into their heads, they are well-informed, when the actual OPPOSITE is true.

There's no fixing that.  Our country is one massive Dunning Kruger effect.

I don’t think my view and yours are mutually exclusive.  Your analysis is just more in depth and precise.  

Both of our perspectives assume most citizens were taught some form of media literacy or good contemporary issues practices but they’ve chosen to deceive themselves into believing they are well informed because it makes them feel better than the alternative, which is reality. 

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz

15 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

That's absolutely true, but here's the punchline to that joke that's being shouted from the stage repeatedly these days: we used to delude ourselves into saying "but America is DIFFERENT.  We are a nation founded on an ideal, and while we have been far from perfect, we are making progress."  Nope.  Not true.  We are just as wicked and cruel as every place you named.  And we are eager to be even worse.

main-qimg-bdf04b5c27f053fb356d71d54dd4cf

Common denominator????? Where did this rage come from? Serious question?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lagunamadre said:

Re the NPR heart string stories. I've somewhat resigned to the fact that I cannot keep paying attention to the plight of much of the world. That really will ruin your existence. Especially when coupled with the realization that you can't do anything to change it. 

I've gone down the rabbit hole in the past on the average daily life in Syria, Yemen,  and various African countries and it takes you to a dark dark place. I had to just accept the fact that the world for the most part is a shitty place and human beings, left unchecked, are power hungry assholes willing to lie, cheat and kill in order to gain power, and in many cases lie, cheat and kill to survive the wrath of the power hungry. Now I just try to keep an eye on geopolitics and try to ignore the pain and suffering of the constituents of the various bad actors. 

I'd rather play Risk than watch Schindler's List for the rest of my life. 

I had a genuine crisis about that when I was in college. I'm fat and people are starving. I'm a nice guy and I care about things, but holy shit. It's a tsunami of pain while I've got it easy: white suburban boy who will never not have a roof or food or cheap entertainment.

You've got to harden your heart to save your heart. I can be very cold about the plight of strangers, particularly when someone is using their plight to pull my heartstrings to get me to do something. I can also give $10 to a drunk leaning on a wall. I don't care that he might use it for liquor. That life looks pretty tough, have a better night on me. Or eat. Or whatever you want.

I thought the Somali mission under HW was a mistake when it started. Oddly, I was convinced it was a success when it ended. The Black Hawk Down battle was a strategic fiasco, but the soldiers accounted well for themselves. The soldiers out in the hinterlands came back proud because the Somalis got a crop in and there was food to be had from a source other than warlords. 

I'm all over the place with this post, but I guess it speaks to how random and crazy trying to do a little good can be. You have to do something. You can't expect yourself or your country to do it all. 

• Like 3