2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

I quote Saint Darrell a lot. Hell, I believe I started the Saint Darrell moniker. I'ma quote Saint Darrell again - although I ain't sayin' it was original with him, on account of it wasn't - "Ya gotta dance with who brung ya" and that's the long and short of it 

46 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

I quote Saint Darrell a lot. Hell, I believe I started the Saint Darrell moniker. I'ma quote Saint Darrell again - although I ain't sayin' it was original with him, on account of it wasn't - "Ya gotta dance with who brung ya" and that's the long and short of it 

Saint Darrell? Uh, that would be Dan Jenkins who first wrote the words. "I don't need no gas nor oil, long as I got my Saint Darrell Royal, sittin' on the dashboard of my car."

9 minutes ago, ausjala said:

Saint Darrell? Uh, that would be Dan Jenkins who first wrote the words. "I don't need no gas nor oil, long as I got my Saint Darrell Royal, sittin' on the dashboard of my car."

Well uh, I ain't sayin' he didn't say it, but I never saw or heard him say it, and I did invent it my very own self (too, whether he wrote or said it first or not). Believe first time I used it was at the solid-ass party after one of the best fucking football games I ever saw, the '62 Arkysaw game. 

Uh?

EDIT- Dan Jenkins was one of the funniest motherfuckers ever to write a sports article or a book. I can almost forgive him for being a cockroach.

EDIT EDIT - and for making a big deal out of hands down the greatest waste of time eve created.

Edited by Tex Long
  • Like 1

We've blown so many leads because the offensive line has been shit for a decade. Combine that with ultra conservative play calling, an absence of skill position game breakers, an untrustworthy qb and playing in a conference where no lead is safe, and that's what you get. This team gutted out a bunch of tough games last year and for better or worse, played to the level of its competition. The next step is to start blowing out the scrubs on the schedule. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Just watched the replay of last year's Texas vs blOU game at the Cotton Bowl.  One of the announcers mentioned that Texas was the worst team in CFB at losing leads in the 2nd half of games over the last 2yrs.

Help me out Surly folks.... Why did the Horns struggle so much to hold on to late leads in their games during the last couple of years??

They let their foot off the throat. I'd argue that scoring is more important than "controlling the ball" with a lead late in the game.

Scoring on the other team is more demoralizing than squeezing the ball for 5 mins. 

Imagine if when we were ahead by 21 against blowU we just tossed a few deep balls and stretched it to 28 instead of squeezing the ball and taking 5 mins off the clock without scoring. The game just moves too fast for big12 teams, they don't need much time to score. You have got to keep scoring on offense. I agree punish them with the running game, but if you don't take shots between those conservative plays then you lose the momentum. 

• Like 5

Agree that most of it is playcalling but I think the main problem is on defense. The defense gets conservative and starts getting carved up, suddenly allowing 45 second TD drives after holding up well the rest of the game (i.e. OU game). And yes, our run game hasn't been good enough to just pound out the clock yet we have continued to try to - hopefully Hand and better talent fixes this part.

UGA game is another good example except they actually fixed it - defense started getting conservative in the 4th and UGA quickly marched down the field. After a quick offensive fail, game doesn't seem so done yet. Next drive, TO gets aggressive with blitzes and they go 3-out. Offense is able to kill some time and by then game's pretty much over.

• Like 1

For the OU game specifically, we had several drives in the 4th that were killed by penalties. Off the top of my head I believe it was 3 drives in a row that had long penalties tacked on, at least one of which directly negated a first down. It's hard to score or even just kill clock when that happens. 

Despite the defensive shortcomings, the offense made strides at protecting leads last year (see TCU, ISU, USC). Not to say it was great at it, but it was better. As our run game goes from bad (2017) -> average (2018) -> hopefully good (2019), we should be able to close out games more effectively. 

Edited by Bodacious Bevo
  • Like 3

Todd Orlando needs to be held accountable for those 4th quarter collapses last year - Baylor almost came back to beat us on the final play, WVU only needed like a minute for that final TD, Tech erased a double digit lead in like 5 mins, and then OU was scoring at will in the 4th quarter in the Cotton Bowl. Time to abandon that rush 3, drop 8 soft zone clusterfuck. 

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Todd Orlando needs to be held accountable for those 4th quarter collapses last year - Baylor almost came back to beat us on the final play, WVU only needed like a minute for that final TD, Tech erased a double digit lead in like 5 mins, and then OU was scoring at will in the 4th quarter in the Cotton Bowl. Time to abandon that rush 3, drop 8 soft zone clusterfuck. 

To be fair, some of the philosophy came from Herman. He's said over and over "you only need to be ahead by one point" to win at the end. 

Also, his pass rushing without creative (and risky) blitzing wasn't very effective. I'm hoping this year bringing 4 will be plenty. Sorry Hager, I think we are going to be stronger up front this year.

8562735.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,off

sugarbowl4webb8361157374_t1070_h88ad8c50

keondre_coburn.jpgMalcom-Roach-Hookem-Plus.jpg?resize=800,

8755723.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=1200:630,off

texas-longhorn-freshman-lb-jeffrey-mccul

ossai.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

As our run game goes from bad (2017) -> average (2018) -> hopefully good (2019), we should be able to close out games more effectively. 

Not just close out games, but hang more points on the board in general. Keontay and JWhitt 30-40 yd scampers are going to be plentiful I think. 

1 hour ago, HtownHorn said:

Orlando needs to have a 4 man front in his bag of tricks to get after the QB when up 20 in the 4Q. Something like Ossai, Graham, Roach, and Coburn/Ojomo. The last 4 guys could really play inside in obvious pass rushing downs.

He uses functional 4 man fronts often, with 3 down lineman and a B-backer standing rushing the edge. The issue hasn't been him not bringing 4 on the LOS. We ahven't had 4 rushers worth bringing. The only way we get home is by creative blitzes. 

• Like 4

I simply don’t like having a tweener as the 4th down lineman. I understand the theory behind it, but I feel like it results in having someone out there who can’t stop the run because they aren’t big enough, or the pass because they can’t keep up on crossing routes. I know the nfl and many many schools use this scheme. I just don’t like it.

Just now, cafe society said:

Springsteen wrote it.  It's about teen alienation, life on the boardwalk and discovering the joys of weed and playing rock'n'roll.

Thanks. I looked it up after I posted. It was actually pretty interesting. Springsteen was pissed off that Manfred Mann's version sounded like "douche" so the kids liked singing that version more. I always thought that the British group was much older than Springsteen but obviously I was wrong.

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

I simply don’t like having a tweener as the 4th down lineman. I understand the theory behind it, but I feel like it results in having someone out there who can’t stop the run because they aren’t big enough, or the pass because they can’t keep up on crossing routes. I know the nfl and many many schools use this scheme. I just don’t like it.

It's really a pointless distinction you're making. Ossai is our B-backer. If we played a 4-3, he'd be our Weakside DE. Either way, Ossai will be rushing off the edge and standing him up gives Orlando more versatility in disguising schemes.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It's really a pointless distinction you're making. Ossai is our B-backer. If we played a 4-3, he'd be our Weakside DE. Either way, Ossai will be rushing off the edge and standing him up gives Orlando more versatility in disguising schemes.  

Yep.  It's not like Ossai is a 210 lb speed rusher who gets driven or planted by the OT on running plays.

29 minutes ago, Lhorn said:

Cosmi is one of those guys you want getting off the bus first at road games.  Looks like Hercules. 

Usually guys that lift like this are 5'10" 245 lb FBs who only have to move the bar 8 inches to complete the lift.  It's really uncommon to see it from 6'5" Offensive Tackles.

43 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Hmm...nightmare good or nightmare bad? I like Duvernay but I don't remember him catching a lot over the middle that I think of as a traditional slot role. Happy to be corrected with examples or film. 

Maybe Duv was in slot during a 4th quarter crossing route catch vs blOU in Cotton Bowl??

Yes I thought of that. In fact my favorite recruit in his class that signed was him. He has decent size and speed so he’s probably the best fit for what Texas does. The alternative in a 4/3 would be a guy that is 1-2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier like Omenihu. It doesn’t seem like that much of a difference which I guess is why Texas runs the defense they do.

Pardon if this has been discussed.    SI article writer interviews.

We've hit the lull of the college football offseason, which gives plenty of opportunity to talk about what's to come. It also means plenty of opportunity for expectations to be raised, with optimism for 2019 reigning across the country during the heat of the summer months. But inevitably, come fall, some teams will fall short after all that buildup. For this week's roundtable, we asked our writers to consider those expectations and which programs might struggle to meet them.

Which team near the front of many people's offseason hype trains are you feeling uneasy about this season?

Scooby Axson: For all the constant talk about how Texas is back, especially after winning 10 games for the first time this decade (there are many that have picked the Longhorns to make some national championship noise), the lack of depth—especially on the defensive end—has to have Tom Herman concerned. Breaking in eight starters on that side of the ball, plus having no real contingency plan if quarterback Sam Ehlinger gets hurt, might have Texas looking up at Oklahoma once again.

Laken Litman: Texas A&M exceeded expectations in Jimbo Fisher’s first year, winning nine games, beating LSU in seven overtimes and finishing second in the SEC West. As Fisher enters Year 2, he has to be feeling confident with veteran quarterback Kellen Mond, having a handful of proven receivers, rising sophomore Jashaun Corbin coming into replace reigning SEC rushing leader Trayveon Williams, and Mike Elko’s defense shaping up to reload after losing its top six tacklers. But there’s reason for skepticism in 2019. How will this group handle one of the nation’s toughest schedules, potentially facing five top-10 opponents? The Aggies may have nearly beaten Clemson at home last year, but this time they travel to Death Valley and face the defending national champs led by the now seasoned QB Trevor Lawrence. That game is followed by a trip through the SEC West gauntlet, and eventually, a date with Georgia in late November.

Joan Niesen: I have to go with Michigan here. Yes, I got the memo about the Wolverines’ spring game and the skill players who excelled, and I know such performances have been few and far between—whether in real games or scrimmages—during Jim Harbaugh’s tenure. Josh Gattis was an impressive hire at offensive coordinator, but last we saw of Michigan, it was getting pummeled by Florida in the Peach Bowl, and in an always-tough Big Ten, it might take more than one offseason for Gattis’s changes to take root. That’s not to say the Wolverines won’t have a strong grasp on the top 25 this fall—they’re also the beneficiaries of a doable early-season schedule—but rather to remind everyone that this team has been a years-long work-in-progress.

Ross Dellenger: Texas. This is a product of the hype and the hype alone, because I do think the Longhorns are contenders, and I like Sam Ehlinger at QB, but the "Texas is back" talk is so overpowering that the Horns can't possibly meet the expectations. Any team that must replace eight defensive senior starters will have some early-season growing pains, and that's not mentioning a pass defense that ranked 110th nationally last season. The Horns feel like a solid top-20 team, but these CFP projections are shooting awfully high.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2019/06/11/preseason-hype-texas-michigan-texas-am-aggies

21 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Yes I thought of that. In fact my favorite recruit in his class that signed was him. He has decent size and speed so he’s probably the best fit for what Texas does. The alternative in a 4/3 would be a guy that is 1-2 inches taller and 20 pounds heavier like Omenihu. It doesn’t seem like that much of a difference which I guess is why Texas runs the defense they do.

Omenihu is 6'6, 280. that's bigger than most weakside DEs in college and having 4 guys his size or bigger likely means you likely have a pretty poor pass rush. You need speed on the edge and most guys with that kind of speed will be in the 250 range. 

1 hour ago, Lhorn said:

Cosmi is one of those guys you want getting off the bus first at road games.  Looks like Hercules. 

His neck and shoulder muscles run straight up to his head. Mountain of a dude. Hope he abuses some dlinemen this fall. 

29 minutes ago, torre said:

Any team that must replace eight defensive senior starters will have some early-season growing pains, and that's not mentioning a pass defense that ranked 110th nationally last season. 

Never understood this type of pretzel logic.  So Texas has to replace 8 starters on a defense that was putrid in pass defense, and somehow it's impossible for the defense to be better?  Perhaps one should look at those replacements and determine if they're are an improvement over the players that have left.  Without knowing the minutiae like the Surly elite, I would say yes.  As for growing pains, do these blowhards not realize that the new eight starters didn't just sit on the bench all year biding their time on the pine, they actually played in games and stuff.

I think some pundits are in for a rude awakening when this D shuts down Burrow and Hurts with ease.

• Like 6