2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27046211/how-top-cfb-contender-win-national-title#Texas

Bill Callahan on how UT can with the title

If ... Texas can figure out how to run the ball without getting Sam Ehlinger hit so much. In Texas' most impressive wins of 2018 -- 37-14 against USC, 48-45 against Oklahoma and 28-21 against Georgia in the Sugar Bowl -- Ehlinger was a battering ram, rushing over 17 times per game, not including sacks. Basically every third down was "Hey, Sam, get to the sticks." In the other 11 games on the schedule, however, he rushed under eight times per game. Head coach Tom Herman knew he couldn't let his QB take that many hits over a potential 14-game schedule.

The problem: When Ehlinger wasn't running, Texas' run game was poor -- average efficiency with no big plays whatsoever. Can that change?

If ... big-play blue-chippers can actually make big plays. Texas gained 30-plus yards just 26 times, tied for 77th in FBS with offenses like Boston College's and Navy's, both of which played fewer games. Worse yet, the Horns didn't make a single 50-yard gain all year. You know what else would allow Ehlinger to avoid taking hits and wearing down? Easy points.

If ... a super-young secondary is ready to not only hold the fort, but improve. Continuity in the secondary correlates pretty strongly with year-to-year improvement and regression, and Texas has to replace three DB mainstays in nickel P.J. Locke III and corners Kris Boyd and Davonte Davis.

With last year's top three pass-rushers gone, as well, there's a lot of pressure on high-upside sophomores like safeties Caden Sterns and B.J. Foster and corners Anthony Cook and Kobe Boyce to play like grizzled veterans. Can they?

If ... a Tom Herman team can play every game as an underdog.Herman is the ultimate big-game coach. In four years as a head coach, he is 10-6 straight-up as an underdog and 13-2-1 against the spread. As a one-possession favorite, he's 9-2 straight-up and 7-3-1 against the spread. As a healthy favorite, however? He's 21-5 straight-up (a worse win percentage than as a one-score favorite) and 8-17-1 against the spread.

Just last year, Texas beat Oklahoma and Georgia, lost to Maryland, and thought hard about losing to Kansas and Tulsa. Title teams don't play like title teams only three or four times a year, or only when their QB is the entire run game.

12 minutes ago, Scholz said:

"...or only when their QB is the entire run game."

Rushing yards 2018:

Sam - 482

RBs (Watson, Ingram, Young) - 1,647

He was talking about how we completely changed the run game in the four big games to emphasize Sam. The other guys were less effective but had to carry the load in the lower-tier games that are the majority of the schedule, which was one reason they were so close.

Edited by texifornia
  • Like 2

Siap...

https://www.cover1.net/2020-nfl-draft-summer-scouting-tyler-johnson/

Devin Duvernay with the catch. Name we should get familiar with and I previewed him and some others in my latest column

Devin Duvernay, WR, Texas (5’11” – 210 pounds – Senior)

Another wide receiver that caught my eye this week was Devin Duvernay from Texas. Initially, the Texas tape was on just for Zach Shackelford, but then I couldn’t stop watching Duvernay. The former four-star recruit was a track star in high school. He ran the 100-meter dash in 10.27 seconds in 2015, and his speed shows on the field. He was highly touted coming out of high school and had offers to 38 schools, including Alabama.

He clearly has the athletic ability to get vertical up the field and could be one of the top deep threats in the 2020 NFL Draft. Sam Ehlinger will have to do a better job with his ball placement, but there’s no doubt that Duvernay can be a solid complement to the Longhorns’ number one receiver, Collin Johnson. Duvernay will win vertically and across the middle of the field with crossers and slant routes. Be on the lookout for him when the Longhorns take the field this fall, and don’t blink if you see him running with the ball in his hands.

Edited by LTtxfan

I've seen a lot of these charts for other sports, so I thought I would make one for choosing
@CFBPlayoff  teams Prices are based off of avg projected season finishes for each conference. Also, I know #ND is not in the #ACC Who's in? #ThisIsTexas #HookEm #B1G #SEC #Big12 #PAC12

8:43 AM · Jun 19, 2019

Sam Ehlinger progressed well last season, but still has room for improvement. He needs to distribute the ball more equitably. Many times he was locked onto the LJH safety valve when Duvernay was wide open, and not just for long bombs.  While LJH was a weapon, many of those shots were contested incomplete passes. His accuracy seemed to regress some after his shoulder injury. Not sure how much that was due to the injury itself, or to the interruption of reps in practice. Working with Jake Smith might help him grow in that regard. Read somewhere that he was trying to adjust his timing since Jake is so fast.

3 minutes ago, Eggo said:

Apparently Tope Imade and Jean Delance don't like each other. Delance retweeted this. 

Well after Tope clowned him for not even stretching right while he was here I can see why he'd want to try and get back.

Is Delance supposed to start for UF?

4 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Well after Tope clowned him for not even stretching right while he was here I can see why he'd want to try and get back.

Listed as backup RT behind a RS FR on the ourlads chart.

https://www.ourlads.com/ncaa-football-depth-charts/depth-chart/florida/90498

11 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Sam Ehlinger progressed well last season, but still has room for improvement. He needs to distribute the ball more equitably. Many times he was locked onto the LJH safety valve when Duvernay was wide open, and not just for long bombs.  While LJH was a weapon, many of those shots were contested incomplete passes. His accuracy seemed to regress some after his shoulder injury. Not sure how much that was due to the injury itself, or to the interruption of reps in practice. Working with Jake Smith might help him grow in that regard. Read somewhere that he was trying to adjust his timing since Jake is so fast.

I think all QBs work on their timing with their receivers. 

7 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Set to possibly take over Jawan Taylor's (2nd round pick) spot at RT 

Edited by Eggo

52 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Everyone I know with info is in full recruiting mode still.

He started 1st team in spring game and looked pretty decent. The spring game was nuts. They started out 0-0 and there was 95 points scored total lol. 

Franks looks like he may actually finally take the next step. I'm pumped. Also pumped they gonna play Texas soon. Epic.