2019 Texas Football Season - "#8 Go Fuck Yourself Bitch"

Xcalibur

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-football-2019-season-College-Football-Playoff-133304980/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Four Keys to a CFP run for Texas

The Texas Longhorns have serious momentum after ending last season with a statement against Georgia in bowl season. With Texas now a 25/1 bet to win the National Championship next season, the heat is on.  What must coach Tom Herman accomplish in order to debut in the College Football Playoffs? New ESPN college football analyst Bill Connelly has four goals in mind for the Longhorns.

Goal one? Keep Sam Ehlinger mobile and healthy.  Outside of key wins against Oklahoma, USC and Georgia, Ehlinger was not as efficient as a rushing threat. Ehlinger had 57 runs, 171 yards and seven rushing touchdowns in those three. He had 107 runs, 311 yards and eight touchdowns in the other 11 combined.  “In the other 11 games on the schedule, however, he rushed under eight times per game,” ESPN wrote. “Head coach Tom Herman knew he couldn't let his quarterback take that many hits over a potential 14-game schedule. The problem: When Ehlinger wasn't running, Texas' run game was poor -- average efficiency with no big plays whatsoever. Can that change?” 

Ehlinger recently got everyone talking again with some fleet-footed, sharp throwing drills displayed Saturday at the Elite 11.   "After watching Sam Ehlinger spin it at Elite 11 workouts, I think the football world might be sleeping on his long-term potential," wrote NFL analyst Bucky Brooks. "He throws it much better than most observers suggest and his footwork/eyes/arm strength in a workout would earn high marks from coaches."

Goal two? Get the most out of young talent. That one is obvious. Texas has back-to-back top Big 12 recruiting classes,and has a lot of skill even with the loss of Bru McCoy.  The Horns didn't make a single 50-yard gain all year,” ESPN said. “You know what else would allow Ehlinger to avoid taking hits and wearing down? Easy points.”

Goal three? Step up in the secondary.  The Big 12 is a pass happy league, and losses in the front seven put pressure on a young secondary led by breakout start Caden Sterns.The top-three pass rushers are lost from last year.

And finally, treat every game like an underdog. Look no deeper than games last year against Maryland and Oklahoma State to understand this point. There is no room for error in a conference that has Oklahoma looking to three-peat in the College Football Playoff. That begins immediately for the Longhorns with Louisiana Tech, fueled by a trash-talking Terry Bradshaw, and then the big game against LSU.

“Herman is the ultimate big-game coach. In four years as a head coach, he is 10-6 straight-up as an underdog and 13-2-1 against the spread. As a one-possession favorite, he's 9-2 straight-up and 7-3-1 against the spread. As a healthy favorite, however? He's 21-5 straight-up (a worse win percentage than as a one-score favorite) and 8-17-1 against the spread.”

D-Squared made list.....

College football's 10 most underrated players in 2019

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Georgia-Bulldogs-college-football-2019-Florida-Gators-Tennessee-Vols-Texas-Longhorns-Michigan-Wolverines-underrated-players-133238961/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

DEVIN DUVERNAY, TEXAS, WR

One of the fastest players in college football, Duvernay caught 41 passes for 546 yards and four touchdowns last fall for a College Football Playoff contender, but no one talked about him. Those statistical totals bettered his two previous seasons combined for the Longhorns and helped Sam Ehlinger establish another reliable target within a talented group of pass-catchers. He didn't record a single drop last fall and ranks fourth among returning receivers nationally in passer rating when targeted (103.7), according to Pro Football Focus. Per Horns247 analyst Jeff Howe, "the bar has been set for what Duvernay is capable of doing and the Longhorns need him to continue to be consistently reliable" now that he’s found a home as the Z receiver (field-side receiver) in the pro-spread.

• Like 2

Finebaum: Texas still has a lot to prove

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-Sam-Ehlinger-Paul-Finebaum-2019-season-133288530/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Pounding Georgia into submission on a national stage as a two-touchdown underdog apparently wasn't enough to convince Paul Finebaum that Texas was indeed back under Tom Herman.  The SEC Network host and ESPN college football analyst ranks Herman among the game's top coaches but still needs to see how the Longhorns perform under pressure, like this fall as a preseason Top 10 team and Playoff contender, before he's all in on Texas.

"Herman, to me, I still believe he’s an elite coach,” Finebaum said on Thursday's David Glenn Show. "But Texas this year has a lot to prove. You can’t live your life off a bowl game. The Georgia game was significant, but beating LSU is what they have to do. That’s week 2 of the college football season and one of the biggest non-conference games of the entire year."

The Longhorns opened as a near touchdown underdog at home to the Tigers, a team expected to be inside the Top 10 coming into Austin in September. That line has since move to LSU minus-3.  LSU-Texas ranks high on our non-conference games to watch list ahead of the season, no doubt one of those matchups with major postseason implications should both teams fare as expected the rest of the way. Both teams have veteran quarterbacks — Sam Ehlinger for Texas and Joe Burrow for LSU — coming off 10-win seasons with lofty expectations in their respective Power 5 conferences.

Ehlinger led Texas to a Big 12 title game berth last fall, the first time that's happened since the 2009 season — the same year the Longhorns won their last conference championship under then-coach Mack Brown.

Finebaum: Texas still has a lot to prove

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Longhorns-Tom-Herman-Sam-Ehlinger-Paul-Finebaum-2019-season-133288530/Amp/?__twitter_impression=true
Pounding Georgia into submission on a national stage as a two-touchdown underdog apparently wasn't enough to convince Paul Finebaum that Texas was indeed back under Tom Herman.  The SEC Network host and ESPN college football analyst ranks Herman among the game's top coaches but still needs to see how the Longhorns perform under pressure, like this fall as a preseason Top 10 team and Playoff contender, before he's all in on Texas.
"Herman, to me, I still believe he’s an elite coach,” Finebaum said on Thursday's David Glenn Show. "But Texas this year has a lot to prove. You can’t live your life off a bowl game. The Georgia game was significant, but beating LSU is what they have to do. That’s week 2 of the college football season and one of the biggest non-conference games of the entire year."
The Longhorns opened as a near touchdown underdog at home to the Tigers, a team expected to be inside the Top 10 coming into Austin in September. That line has since move to LSU minus-3.  LSU-Texas ranks high on our non-conference games to watch list ahead of the season, no doubt one of those matchups with major postseason implications should both teams fare as expected the rest of the way. Both teams have veteran quarterbacks — Sam Ehlinger for Texas and Joe Burrow for LSU — coming off 10-win seasons with lofty expectations in their respective Power 5 conferences.
Ehlinger led Texas to a Big 12 title game berth last fall, the first time that's happened since the 2009 season — the same year the Longhorns won their last conference championship under then-coach Mack Brown.

Like almost every media member in the world today, ignore everything out of this moron’s mouth because he’s nothing but a shill for the SEC.
  • Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Like almost every media member in the world today, ignore everything out of this moron’s mouth because he’s nothing but a shill for the SEC.

Finebaum actually complimented Herman in this article which was different...

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, Machinator said:

TCU at #14 seems aggressive since they don't know who will be their starting QB.  Iowa State at #21 is probably low.

Baylor should be better this year, and Okie Lite might surprise folks and end up in the Top25 at some point in 2019...

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

It wasn't even an sec heavy opinion, it was just a common sense opinion. Texas has to win a ton this season? No shit, fuckstick. Every team has that same pressure. Saban has a ton to prove this season after getting whipped in the NC game. Dabo has a ton to prove to see if his team can repeat with possibly the best QB in cfb. Jimbo has a ton to prove to show he didn't make the biggest mistake of his life by going to a school that has major loser mentality (spoiler: he did). 

Just now, Walden Ponderer said:

Well, I also question how high he has Bama, Meatchicken, Georgia, OU, aggy and Stanford, just at a glance, but hell, you've got to rank somebody.

It is funny how easy it is to say a bunch of the teams on a top 25 list are overrated, but then if you try to fill out a top 25 yourself, you get to about 12 teams and start to feel like no one else deserves to be on the list.

That's part of what's made so infuriating that Texas has rightly been left out of the top 25 more often than not the last 9 years. It's not actually that tough to be one of the top 25 teams in the country.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It is funny how easy it is to say a bunch of the teams on a top 25 list are overrated, but then if you try to fill out a top 25 yourself, you get to about 12 teams and start to feel like no one else deserves to be on the list.

That's part of what's made so infuriating that Texas has rightly been left out of the top 25 more often than not the last 9 years. It's not actually that tough to be one of the top 25 teams in the country.  

To be fair, we were pretty fucking bad. 

On 6/28/2019 at 1:16 PM, BradInATX said:

A very drunk Terry Bradshaw once yelled at 6 year old me for asking him for an autograph in the 19th hole at Barton Creek country club. Fuck him.

You deserved it you little shit.  Get off my lawn.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

"Duvernay didn’t light the field on fire a season ago but did finish with the conference’s best returning drop grade after not allowing a single catchable pass thrown his way fall to the ground.   In fact, Duvernay’s 41 receptions without a drop are the second-most among all returning receivers at the FBS level from 2018. His reliable hands should be a key asset for Ehlinger in 2019."

@Katfid54 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

"Duvernay didn’t light the field on fire a season ago but did finish with the conference’s best returning drop grade after not allowing a single catchable pass thrown his way fall to the ground.   In fact, Duvernay’s 41 receptions without a drop are the second-most among all returning receivers at the FBS level from 2018. His reliable hands should be a key asset for Ehlinger in 2019."

[mention=513]Katfid54[/mention] 
Donovan Duvernay's hands aren't that good.

13 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

@Katfid54 

7bZreu.gif

h5vSFb.gif

15 hours ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

"Cosmi was dominant in his first year of action with the Longhorns and even put forth five different outings without allowing a single QB pressure, even in the game against Oklahoma early in the year."

I mean, I know they suck but holy shit. 

Going out on a limb and proclaiming he'll be an all American before he leaves. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BigHorn'13 said:

"Cosmi was dominant in his first year of action with the Longhorns and even put forth five different outings without allowing a single QB pressure, even in the game against Oklahoma early in the year."

I mean, I know they suck but holy shit. 

Going out on a limb and proclaiming he'll be an all American before he leaves. 

1629115bxh9l84hff.gif

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Eggo said:

We could win 2 MNCs in a row and people would still be like "Yeah, but are they really back?" 

"Texas has given no evidence it can win a third straight national championship!"

Some skepticism is warranted, of pretty much everyone other than Alabama and Clemson, but it needs to be accurately worded. You know who hadn't proven anything? Charlie Strong, circa 2016. I think Finebaum/et al can dispense with that criticism of Herman. We were far from perfect last year but other than Bob Stoops and Jim Tressel, dickeaters both, I think Herman had a pretty fine second season. He has "proven" he can get Texas to beat multiple Top Ten teams in one season. You can logically deduce continued future improvement from the evidence thus far.

Edited by SwanderedTalent
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

We could beat Bama/Clemson in the MNC game, and those assholes would just say they didn’t want to be there.

Bama would probably claim the MNC anyway. If you're the best team in the SEC you're the best team in the country. 

Boyd has us #1, so.... doomed.

http://sportstreatise.com/2019/07/my-preseason-all-b12-ballot/

1. Texas: Sam Ehlinger and 3.5 really good, returning starters on OL combined with a pair of senior wideouts and a young but intensively coached and exceptionally athletic defenders. The Texas formula is really simple.

That Texas might be excellent on offense next year should be relatively obvious, but on defense where they replace eight senior starters there’s more hesitation nationally. But consider the key pieces up the middle:

DL: Senior Malcolm Roach, who was playing LB up until the end of last year when he became a spot player at DE and a third down nose tackle. He’s a high motor, bouncy athlete who’s about 6-2/290 now and really hard to keep blocked. On paper it looks like Texas is starting over at DL but Roach is probably an upgrade over any departing player but Charles Omenihu.

LB: Senior Jeffrey McCulloch, who split time the last few years between playing 3-4 OLB and ILB when injuries forced him there. He’s a smart, former 4-star athlete who’s just never found a positional home. This offseason he’s zeroed in at ILB and cut some weight to about 6-3, 235 or so.

S: Senior Brandon Jones and sophomore Caden Sterns, the former of whom is a third-year starter and was a couple of ankle injuries in 2018 away from leaving early for a day two or even day one draft selection. Jones is best in support but he’s absolute lightning who can turn initially looking gains from the run or quick game into 3-5 yard concessions. I think most are familiar with Sterns and I got the sense that he may win the vote for DPOY.

So as you can see, Texas actually has a fair amount of veteran leadership and quality up the middle of the defense for all the youthful athletes stepping into other roles to orbit around.

I think putting Shark or Roach on pre-season all conference is premature. It is also weird to leave off Sterns, especially after he notes he thinks he could get preseason DPOY. Offense looks about right. You could make an argument for CJ but there are a lot of good WRs in this league. I think Shack will probably make it though I on't have a problem leaving him off. He was all B12 last year and is on several pre-season lists. That Humphrey kid at OU is a bad dude though.

• Like 1

I think putting Shark or Roach on pre-season all conference is premature. It is also weird to leave off Sterns, especially after he notes he thinks he could get preseason DPOY. Offense looks about right. You could make an argument for CJ but there are a lot of good WRs in this league. I think Shack will probably make it though I on't have a problem leaving him off. He was all B12 last year and is on several pre-season lists. That Humphrey kid at OU is a bad dude though.

what LB is going to be better than Shark and what DL better than Roach?

I mean, i get "FIELD" is an easy bet, but I'm not sure I know who it would be in the conference... those guys are going to be good...

50 minutes ago, Snacks said:

My money is on JaQuan Bailey or Ray Lima, either one, as the best DL in the conference. Iowa State's DL is legit. Not sure about LB; maybe Reggie Walker from K-State, or maybe (don't laugh) Jordyn Brooks from Tech. I don't think I'd trade either one of those guys for Shark, but it wouldn't surprise me if either one or both end up ahead of Shark on the final all-conference vote, either.

I mean, i get "FIELD" is an easy bet, but I'm not sure I know who it would be in the conference... those guys are going to be good...

DL: The two all B12 guys at ISU; Blacklock at TCU, who was considered among the best in a TCU DL group with two NFL draft picks before he got hurt preseason; Bethley at TCU and Perkins at OU both played well also, even in limited time.

LB: David Long at WVU and Murray at OU are both better than Shark. I'll admit that's all I can think of, but if there isn't another LB or two in this conference that has shown more to this point then the LB play in this league sucks.

I think both are well positioned to have nice years. They've both shown flashes and are going through this off season as senior leaders who are evicted to carry the load. I've defended the high expectations for Roach on here. I just think there are gis across the conference that have shown more than them to this point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk