Are you considering going expat?

TexArcher

3 hours ago, housious said:

You aren't going anywhere. This thread is pathetic and you should feel bad. Trump could shred the constitution and become a dictator for life, and you'd still be going to Whataburger on Thursdays and visiting the Genius Bar when your iPhone fucks up. Eleventy billion people said the same stupid shit when Obama won, and they all stayed. 

What you know about me wouldn't fill a shot glass.

9 hours ago, Bone3421 said:

I dont get why people still fall for this lie

80619653e18d983af51d68c1634cbd6a.jpg

Maybe it's *my* perception vs. reality but I would still consider 300K+ apprehensions to be a lot.  Plus I'm not sure this graph makes the point you think it makes...are you alleging that crossings have decreased in line with apprehensions?  I'm not 100% sure that those things track in perfect harmony, although they're probably somewhat close.

Without turning this into an illegal immigration thread, we do have an issue here.  It's much easier to come into the US than most other modern 1st world democracies and make a life for yourself that is better than whatever you left.  If you tried to do that in the UK, or France, or Norway you're going to have a much rougher go, you'll be shut out of their generous benefits system, and you will have a lot of trouble finding work that those coming to the US don't have trouble finding.  Personally I'd rather take the $5B in wall money and build a robust eVerify system with enforcement and turn off the magnet for illegal work.  Until that gets fixed, no wall will matter.

13 hours ago, RayDog said:

I did go expat but I planned it before Trump was elected. Most expats, especially Aussies are pro Trump and fox news is on in a lot of bars, restaurants, and lobbies. So, I didn't escape anything. Austin would be better in many respects. An amazing percentage of Aussies are flat earthers and lunar landing deniers too. Typical expats are not the cream of society, so it is hard to find and make good friends.

when i lived in japan, i had the same experience. my best aussie friend ended out being some kind of embezzler. 

there's a reason most people leave their country of origin. some do it for adventure, some do it because they are fucking malcontent weirdos. actually, that's most of them.

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

I'm curious what countries you think are going to be better off economically when shit "hits the fan". Even when the US is in a recession it is still the largest economy in the world. Leaving the country to escape an "American recession" seems asinine. The global economy is way too interconnected at this point for that to be a viable plan of action. If the US goes down we're dragging everyone else down with us. 

That's a good question and nobody knows the answer as it's all risky at this point. There are examples like Japan of countries who's deficits far exceed their GDP, but those are much smaller economies and we just don't know what happens to an economy of this size who becomes so ridiculously leveraged on debt because it's never happened before in human civilization. If we don't get politicians who actually do the right thing and work together to slow the rate of deficit spending then we'll soon enter unchartered waters that no economist can predict with certainty what will happen. 

Chances are a large American colllapse at this point would harm world markets a ton, and it may lead to many global changes likes replacing the dollar as the currency of global business. Problem is the other big economies are places like China who have governments and markets that can be highly volatile as well. If America ever becomes so volatile that the fucking Chinese currency seems safer by comparison we're royally fucked. I just don't have faith American leadership will ever do the right thing again and we'll dive head first into unknown waters soon. 

Maybe it's *my* perception vs. reality but I would still consider 300K+ apprehensions to be a lot.  Plus I'm not sure this graph makes the point you think it makes...are you alleging that crossings have decreased in line with apprehensions?  I'm not 100% sure that those things track in perfect harmony, although they're probably somewhat close.
Without turning this into an illegal immigration thread, we do have an issue here.  It's much easier to come into the US than most other modern 1st world democracies and make a life for yourself that is better than whatever you left.  If you tried to do that in the UK, or France, or Norway you're going to have a much rougher go, you'll be shut out of their generous benefits system, and you will have a lot of trouble finding work that those coming to the US don't have trouble finding.  Personally I'd rather take the $5B in wall money and build a robust eVerify system with enforcement and turn off the magnet for illegal work.  Until that gets fixed, no wall will matter.
And agreed not to sidetrack...point was in general we dont the wall and it has been trending down for close to 20 years

No mas in thread

10 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

That's a good question and nobody knows the answer as it's all risky at this point. There are examples like Japan of countries who's deficits far exceed their GDP, but those are much smaller economies and we just don't know what happens to an economy of this size who becomes so ridiculously leveraged on debt because it's never happened before in human civilization. If we don't get politicians who actually do the right thing and work together to slow the rate of deficit spending then we'll soon enter unchartered waters that no economist can predict with certainty what will happen. 

Chances are a large American colllapse at this point would harm world markets a ton, and it may lead to many global changes likes replacing the dollar as the currency of global business. Problem is the other big economies are places like China who have governments and markets that can be highly volatile as well. If America ever becomes so volatile that the fucking Chinese currency seems safer by comparison we're royally fucked. I just don't have faith American leadership will ever do the right thing again and we'll dive head first into unknown waters soon. 

Agree with every point you made. 

Just not sure that means America will end up being a worse place to live comparatively. There's shit "waiting to hit the fan" in plenty of places outside the US (China included - as you mentioned).

4 hours ago, BrickHorn said:

The idea that Trump is “not getting anything done” on he legislative side ignores perhaps the two most damaging fronts of his assault: (1) judges and (2) the erosion of the American administrative state.  

Many here probably celebrate the latter without appreciating the importance of our bureaucracy to American power and stability.  Let me put it this way: if you were Vladimir Putin, how delighted would you be with things like an extended government shutdown leading to an exodus of qualified employees, a failure to appoint critical officials in a variety of agencies (DOE, State, etc.), high levels of turnover in those agencies due to frustration with the administration, etc.?  Trump is purposefully eroding the foundation of American power.  And he’s doing it largely through inaction.  

I see the ability to appoint and confirm judges as a feature, not a bug of our system of government.  I also don't mind having conservative SC justices as a counterbalance to a liberalizing legislative branch.  But I could see how a liberal would feel otherwise if you're interested in pushing a more liberal agenda and the boundaries of the constitution, or are not a strict constructivist.  My response to not getting the flavor of justice you want is political - win the Presidency or Senate majority and you'll see or can force a different type of nomination.  The US has survived pretty well over 200+ years with both conservative and liberal judges, so I think we'll be alright.

The "hollowing out of the bureaucracy" I also consider more of a mixed bag than "all bad."  As a libertarian I appreciate the shutdown because it limits the bad stuff that government does such as regulatory and spending.  There are also lots of good things the gov't does that we all appreciate.  Overall I want a smaller federal gov't.  And to show I'm not a hyper partisan, let's start with military spending...

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

I see the ability to appoint and confirm judges as a feature, not a bug of our system of government.  I also don't mind having conservative SC justices as a counterbalance to a liberalizing legislative branch.  But I could see how a liberal would feel otherwise if you're interested in pushing a more liberal agenda and the boundaries of the constitution, or are not a strict constructivist.  My response to not getting the flavor of justice you want is political - win the Presidency or Senate majority and you'll see or can force a different type of nomination.  The US has survived pretty well over 200+ years with both conservative and liberal judges, so I think we'll be alright.

The "hollowing out of the bureaucracy" I also consider more of a mixed bag than "all bad."  As a libertarian I appreciate the shutdown because it limits the bad stuff that government does such as regulatory and spending.  There are also lots of good things the gov't does that we all appreciate.  Overall I want a smaller federal gov't.  And to show I'm not a hyper partisan, let's start with military spending...

Well, sort of.

5 hours ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

go expat is for sex tourism/prostitutes/fetish reasons.

5 hours ago, NBMisha said:

Seems to me it is a thing to do if one wants to live that adventure

4 hours ago, staboner said:

i am next month for at least 3 to 4 years. not sure after that. looking forward to it. 

4 hours ago, HenryJames said:

Bucket list!

4 hours ago, Skinny Tie said:

Day I turn 45 I’m moving to San Pedro and selling ice cream.

2 hours ago, Fondren & Main said:

I'd go to Thailand if I ever left.

Bunch of degenerates here.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

That's going to be a real kick in the ass when all that money you've put aside is all but gone because of governmental corruption and extreme corporate greed. I think gen x is going to really take it in the ass big time.  

That will be the moment Generation X has its Milton losing his red stapler moment.

52cd452efc17ba9470609bfe7a29a79f.jpg

• Like 2

I've strongly considered moving to Belize or Costa Rica. Belize is more stable and the better deal all around, but CR is more remote and on the Pacific side. Both have beautiful beaches, which is my primary requirement.

8 hours ago, Ghost of LL said:

That's not the lede.  That's old news.

Other old news--most of the prostitutes are underage and RayDog can't come back to the United States because if he did, he'd be arrested under the PROTECT Act.

While there are some underage ones my guesstimate is 2 to 4%. I always get id to make sure they are legal age and usually stick with 18 to 24 year olds, but sometimes an older waitress who I enjoy talking to. Bar girls need to have id to work in a bar, so the underage ones are usually local girls on the street. I know some local girls and helpful guys that let me know who is legal. 

I have no problem entering the US as i have not broken any age law. Its mostly the Koreans and Indians that go for the underage girls.

1 minute ago, RayDog said:

While there are some underage ones my guesstimate is 2 to 4%.

So you think there's some sort of margin-of-error for fucking underaged prostitutes under the PROTECT Act?

Look, man--aside from everything else, these are not the types of admissions you want to be making in a public forum.  I mean, if your goal is to stay out of federal prison.  If your goal is to take a criminal off the street, then by all means, keep typing away.  You're just giving the U.S. Attorney evidence (if they were actually around to obtain evidence, that is; but alas, they're not due to #trumpshutdown).

• Like 1

I've strongly considered moving to Belize or Costa Rica. Belize is more stable and the better deal all around, but CR is more remote and on the Pacific side. Both have beautiful beaches, which is my primary requirement.

Not my understanding at all. Belize has a lot of crime and narco bullshit. CR is pretty easy to move to, stable, and has great healthcare. I’ve yet to meet an ex pat down there that’s regretted it. The only exception being parents with School age children as the education system is pretty weak and upward mobility is perceived to be limited.

Uruguay gets high marks from ex-pats too.

17 minutes ago, bernorange said:

@RPM - You should read up about what McAfee claims went down in Belize when he tried to live there.  Also, Costa Rica, like the USA, has both an Atlantic and Pacific coast.

Read it. Seen the movie that tells a completely different story. McAfee is a psycho and just as big a scammer as the Fyre festival guy. Had local gang members as his private armed security squad. BTW, don't ever use a hammock McAfee has used. Trust me on this.

I have a friend that's lived there since '99 and loves it. The big problem is the window to move there cheaply has pretty much closed. Land prices have skyrocketed because the Chinese are buying up everything in sight. 

20 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

So you think there's some sort of margin-of-error for fucking underaged prostitutes under the PROTECT Act?

Look, man--aside from everything else, these are not the types of admissions you want to be making in a public forum.  I mean, if your goal is to stay out of federal prison.  If your goal is to take a criminal off the street, then by all means, keep typing away.  You're just giving the U.S. Attorney evidence (if they were actually around to obtain evidence, that is; but alas, they're not due to #trumpshutdown).

Do i have to threaten to sue you for slander to get you to stop making these false allegations?

All these la-dee-dah expat countries... why not just get an apartment in Nuevo Laredo?

Scared of the Zetas? Just go ask for an appointment. Tell them you want to show the proper respect, and ask how you can have their protection. They name a price. You pay it, then live in complete safety. Feudal man.

Walk back over the bridge into the US to check your mail at your PO Box. Or don't.

19 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

Not my understanding at all. Belize has a lot of crime and narco bullshit. CR is pretty easy to move to, stable, and has great healthcare. I’ve yet to meet an ex pat down there that’s regretted it. The only exception being parents with School age children as the education system is pretty weak and upward mobility is perceived to be limited.

Uruguay gets high marks from ex-pats too.

They both have narco and crime problems. They're 3rd world countries. I say Belize is more stable because of they're a member of the Commonwealth. 

Edited by RPM

10 minutes ago, RPM said:

Read it. Seen the movie that tells a completely different story. McAfee is a psycho and just as big a scammer as the Fyre festival guy. Had local gang members as his private armed security squad. BTW, don't ever use a hammock McAfee has used. Trust me on this.

I have a friend that's lived there since '99 and loves it. The big problem is the window to move there cheaply has pretty much closed. Land prices have skyrocketed because the Chinese are buying up everything in sight. 

Story time. In laws went to Belize to look at vacation property. Last house on the excursion ended up being Mcaffe’s place that was for sell. FIL says he instantly got a weird vibe because 1) security guards and 2) all the random women just lounging around the place. Wasn’t sure if the guards were there to just keep people out or also in  

Anyway place was being sold as is and apparently had a lot of nice artwork. They passed and a few months later it burned down. 

55 minutes ago, bernorange said:

@RPM - You should read up about what McAfee claims went down in Belize when he tried to live there.  Also, Costa Rica, like the USA, has both an Atlantic and Pacific coast.

McAfee's brain melted a long ass time ago.  Can he even string 2 sentences together at this point?  

40 minutes ago, RayDog said:

Do i have to threaten to sue you for slander to get you to stop making these false allegations?

Please.  Sue me for slander.  If you want, I'll PM you where you can serve me with process.

A word of warning, however--I'm hiring @Brisketexan as my lawyer.  He's very expensive.  And that's of importance to you because you'll be paying his fees.  Because, you see--my first filing will be a motion to dismiss under the Texas Citizens' Participation Act, Tex. Civ. Prac. & Rem. Code ch. 27 (you should google that).  And when I win that motion, an award of fees is mandatory.

Oh, and now with that, all the lawyers on here can get 0.1 hours of self-study CLE credit.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, RayDog said:

In true lawyerly fashion, Ghost of LL has alleged nothing. Zero. Zilch. Absolutely no allegations. Read carefully.

He's just trying to get you to stop giving the DA the evidence he needs to convict you of something.

11 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

Oh, and now with that, all the lawyers on here can get 0.1 hours of self-study CLE credit.

Semi-highjack: Once I took a practice LSAT and did well enough that, OK maybe I wouldn't ace Law School, but I could prolly drink like a lawyer and maybe still pass.

Question: Can I just show up to take the Bar, and if I pass it, even without a Law degree, can I still wear a tie real tight and put an ad on a phone book?

(now to bring it back around) If I go study law in Messko, can I work my way into the US system somehow? If not, I can put on a tank top and mumble about the Napoleonic Code.

Please reply only if this consultation is free. Gracias.

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

McAfee's brain melted a long ass time ago.  Can he even string 2 sentences together at this point?  

McAfee is currently on the run from the U.S. government. The dude is a major grifter and tends to form a cult following wherever he pops up. He is like a bad acid trip version of Trump.

With that said, I would drop a hundred bucks on a pay per view featuring a McAfee vs. Trump "two men enter, one man leaves" cage fight.

19 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This is a great perception versus reality post.  I don't come into CR often, but I'm guessing that I could rewind 8 years and find the same post from conservatives about Obama's 2nd term.

I'd ask what has actually changed that makes things so bad?  I see the the liberals on my facebook feed moaning like the world will end tomorrow, but I can still get good health insurance the same way I always did (through work), my job hasn't changed and my industry is healthy and growing, we're not in any more wars than under the last administration and arguably moving toward less.  My taxes might have changed a little bit hard to notice, you can still get all the abortions you want, illegal aliens can easily come to the U.S. and stay as long as they want, and racial disharmony still exists like is has for decades and centuries.  There is still no wall.

Yeah, America elected an idiot to the Oval.  He says a lot of stupid shit.  But thanks to the miracle of our system of government, he can't get anything done, so his impact is muted - so aside from the people who are predisposed to thinking the other side is horrible and listening to the harpies on TV and twitter yelling all day, I don't see much real life impact that would cause someone to leave.  Imagined impact, sure.  Potential future like maybe if Trump magically got everything he wanted and the US turned into dystopia...uhh, I guess, but that's pretty unlikely.  

Unless you're trying to just exit the whole us vs. them shouting match by going to Norway where there is leftist hegemony?  I found it easier to just stop reading facebook as much.

Stop making sense.