Are you considering going expat?

TexArcher

I've never planned on it myself.  But I have a friend with a family farm in Norway, and if Trump wins another term, I will seriously consider it.

Part of me thinks, no, you stay and try to fix your homeland.  But the other part of me thinks patriotism is for suckers and this place won't be salvageable if that fat fuck gets another four years.

What say you?

Edited by TexArcher
  • Like 1

I did go expat but I planned it before Trump was elected. Most expats, especially Aussies are pro Trump and fox news is on in a lot of bars, restaurants, and lobbies. So, I didn't escape anything. Austin would be better in many respects. An amazing percentage of Aussies are flat earthers and lunar landing deniers too. Typical expats are not the cream of society, so it is hard to find and make good friends.

Now i do get to do my writing and physics research without needing to have a real job. I can live very well here on $1500 to $2000 a month. I am about to get an apartment for $190 a month and $300 after all bills are paid. I can have sex 20 times a month with 10 or more different women within my budget. For $60 I can fly to some of the most beautiful beaches in the world. There is decent western food if i want it.

I highly recommend the expat lifestyle if you are adventurous and can do it financially, but don't do it because of Trump.

Edited by RayDog
  • Like 1

If you're going to do it then do it because of the pending economic collapse due to republican greed and Democrat stupidity. In January 2001 it seemed damn near impossible our deficit would exceed our GDP in any of our lifetimes, and in only 18 years we're on the brink of doing so with no slow down in ridiculous spending/tax breaks for the rich in sight. The citizenry is stupid and easily blinded with meaningless bullshit like walls, immigration, abortion, etc. while the real danger staring us in the face is financial. 

I lived overseas in Spain/France for 5 years in early 2000s and it's a big fucking adjustment, and I have French ancestry and family in france. Since my family is here I have no plans to leave, I'll just slowly transfer money out of the American markets and into more stable global commodities and otherwise just stay the fuck off social media and enjoy my life in my bubble until the collapse hits. With any luck it'll take longer than it appears and I'll be old and not five a fuck when it happens. 

The one thing I'm wondering is if all these people here with IRAs and 401ks around the age of 45 to 50 or younger will have pretty much their entire retirements blow away when the financial shit hits the fan in America. That's going to be a real kick in the ass when all that money you've put aside is all but gone because of governmental corruption and extreme corporate greed. I think gen x is going to really take it in the ass big time. 

1 hour ago, Mole said:

Buried the lede.  Raydog hires 10 prostitutes a month? Am I interpreting that correctly?

That's not the lede.  That's old news.

Other old news--most of the prostitutes are underage and RayDog can't come back to the United States because if he did, he'd be arrested under the PROTECT Act.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I don't normally comment on a politics thread.  

But I would say that I've considered the ex-pat thing not at all due to who is President or not, but due to a system that won't change in my lifetime, and could possibly shorten my life span.  

The one thing I'm wondering is if all these people here with IRAs and 401ks around the age of 45 to 50 or younger will have pretty much their entire retirements blow away when the financial shit hits the fan in America

As someone in that age group, well sigh.  This is related to the reason I considered leaving-->I see how quickly all those retirement accounts and assets are drained due to a medical issue.  I see so many Go Fund Me's started for cancer, operations, e.t.c.  I know some politicians are discussing Medicare for All.  I'll believe it if/when I see it.  

So, I day dreamed here and there about living somewhere where medical needs don't lead to bankruptcy.  Where the choice to stay alive or let it go isn't based on money (like $10k pills).  Now, though, I'm in my late 40's, and I would have to work remotely (ie, keep my American based job).  It doesn't appear that too many countries are all that eager to have older US folks come live off of their more sensible (imo) systems while not significantly contributing to the local economy.

I also thought it would be neat to truly experience other places long term as opposed to a vacation.  Again, though, not political reasons.

TLDR--Thought about it because of no nationalized health care, didn't act on it.  Stuck on this here ride.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, housious said:

You aren't going anywhere. This thread is pathetic and you should feel bad. Trump could shred the constitution and become a dictator for life, and you'd still be going to Whataburger on Thursdays and visiting the Genius Bar when your iPhone fucks up. Eleventy billion people said the same stupid shit when Obama won, and they all stayed. 

This.

• Like 1

I spent half of my work life as an expat, in Kuwait, Sumatra, Kazahkstan, Cabinda, Luanda.  All reasonable facimiles of shitholes, but all enjoyable in their way.  The fact that my life was heavily subsidized by my employer, and that work provided a huge mental diversion, were probably the biggest reasons for that time being enjoyable.  My wife's view differs from mine.

Raydog raises some good points - about the typical American expat, and the unexpected vibe of living in a foreign place.  Seems to me it is a thing to do if one wants to live that adventure, not at all a thing to do as some sort of political statement.

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m not a liberal and not a Luke Crywalker, but I still haven’t ruled out the expat thing. Mine would be more as a retirement plan, once my peak earning years have ended and I want to live out life where the dollar is strong and quality of life will be as high as if I’m still earning a lot of money. That’s a ways away but something I’ve thought about a lot.

This is where I am. I was thinking Baja, so I could bounce up to the US if needed, but I haven't really researched it much... 

I worked in other countries a couple of times. Who knows, might do it again.

But if I do, it'll have zero connection to whoever is watching his or her turds circle down the Presidential toilet.*

I mean, if you just can't stand whoever is in charge, there are entire swaths of the US where you can hang out, no matter what your views, and seldom encounter disagreement.

*Unless the next president is a full-blown actual Aggy. RD fled Aggyland for Mexico. It was a power move.

10 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Why should I move?  They're the ones who suck. 

How awesome would it be if 20% of the country said fuck it and moved out of the US...the labor market would require replenishing by...wait for it...immigrants.  The Trumpers' heads would explode.  Then when they all die...you know because of MS-13...we can move back.

Obviously, a completely hypothetical exercise that would never happen, but a guy can dream. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

How awesome would it be if 20% of the country said fuck it and moved out of the US...the labor market would require replenishing by...wait for it...immigrants.  The Trumpers' heads would explode.  Then when they all die...you know because of MS-13...we can move back.

Obviously, a completely hypothetical exercise that would never happen, but a guy can dream. 

Bye Bye Goodbye GIF

1 hour ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

I’m not a liberal and not a Luke Crywalker, but I still haven’t ruled out the expat thing. Mine would be more as a retirement plan, once my peak earning years have ended and I want to live out life where the dollar is strong and quality of life will be as high as if I’m still earning a lot of money. That’s a ways away but something I’ve thought about a lot.

Same, but I can't imagine moving away from my kids, so I think I'm here for the duration.

The one thing I'm wondering is if all these people here with IRAs and 401ks around the age of 45 to 50 or younger will have pretty much their entire retirements blow away when the financial shit hits the fan in America.

I’m a deficit hawk (or as much as you can be in 2019), but have read jack shit about foreign retirement savings and taxation.

Where should I put my now taxed savings accounts? Which country and financial instrument has a better future outlook than the USofA, and still looks better if shit hits the fan at home? PIIGS? All in on China, stocks, yuan, dim sum bonds? Brexit? Gold? Brent Crude through EU exchanges? Crypto?

10 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This is a great perception versus reality post.  I don't come into CR often, but I'm guessing that I could rewind 8 years and find the same post from conservatives about Obama's 2nd term.

I'd ask what has actually changed that makes things so bad?  I see the the liberals on my facebook feed moaning like the world will end tomorrow, but I can still get good health insurance the same way I always did (through work), my job hasn't changed and my industry is healthy and growing, we're not in any more wars than under the last administration and arguably moving toward less.  My taxes might have changed a little bit hard to notice, you can still get all the abortions you want, illegal aliens can easily come to the U.S. and stay as long as they want, and racial disharmony still exists like is has for decades and centuries.  There is still no wall.

Yeah, America elected an idiot to the Oval.  He says a lot of stupid shit.  But thanks to the miracle of our system of government, he can't get anything done, so his impact is muted - so aside from the people who are predisposed to thinking the other side is horrible and listening to the harpies on TV and twitter yelling all day, I don't see much real life impact that would cause someone to leave.  Imagined impact, sure.  Potential future like maybe if Trump magically got everything he wanted and the US turned into dystopia...uhh, I guess, but that's pretty unlikely.  

Unless you're trying to just exit the whole us vs. them shouting match by going to Norway where there is leftist hegemony?  I found it easier to just stop reading facebook as much.

The idea that Trump is “not getting anything done” on he legislative side ignores perhaps the two most damaging fronts of his assault: (1) judges and (2) the erosion of the American administrative state.  

Many here probably celebrate the latter without appreciating the importance of our bureaucracy to American power and stability.  Let me put it this way: if you were Vladimir Putin, how delighted would you be with things like an extended government shutdown leading to an exodus of qualified employees, a failure to appoint critical officials in a variety of agencies (DOE, State, etc.), high levels of turnover in those agencies due to frustration with the administration, etc.?  Trump is purposefully eroding the foundation of American power.  And he’s doing it largely through inaction.  

Edited by BrickHorn

1 hour ago, housious said:

You aren't going anywhere. This thread is pathetic and you should feel bad. Trump could shred the constitution and become a dictator for life, and you'd still be going to Whataburger on Thursdays and visiting the Genius Bar when your iPhone fucks up. Eleventy billion people said the same stupid shit when Obama won, and they all stayed. 

Well you know, Obama wasn't actually taking us down an authoritarian path either.  If someone wants to bail on a country that they feel no longer represents them or their values, I say more power to them.  What difference is it to you?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

This is a great perception versus reality post.  I don't come into CR often, but I'm guessing that I could rewind 8 years and find the same post from conservatives about Obama's 2nd term.

I'd ask what has actually changed that makes things so bad?  I see the the liberals on my facebook feed moaning like the world will end tomorrow, but I can still get good health insurance the same way I always did (through work), my job hasn't changed and my industry is healthy and growing, we're not in any more wars than under the last administration and arguably moving toward less.  My taxes might have changed a little bit hard to notice, you can still get all the abortions you want, illegal aliens can easily come to the U.S. and stay as long as they want, and racial disharmony still exists like is has for decades and centuries.  There is still no wall.

Yeah, America elected an idiot to the Oval.  He says a lot of stupid shit.  But thanks to the miracle of our system of government, he can't get anything done, so his impact is muted - so aside from the people who are predisposed to thinking the other side is horrible and listening to the harpies on TV and twitter yelling all day, I don't see much real life impact that would cause someone to leave.  Imagined impact, sure.  Potential future like maybe if Trump magically got everything he wanted and the US turned into dystopia...uhh, I guess, but that's pretty unlikely.  

Unless you're trying to just exit the whole us vs. them shouting match by going to Norway where there is leftist hegemony?  I found it easier to just stop reading facebook as much.

Spot. Fucking. On.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

This is where I am. I was thinking Baja, so I could bounce up to the US if needed, but I haven't really researched it much... 

I think I would do San Carlos on the mainland.  Lots of retired expats.  Great boating community.  Beautiful spots nearby.  

• Like 1

I’m out as soon as I have enough for semi-retirement and/ or my kid is in college. Trump makes that decision easier but that’s been my plan for a long time. The USA is a great place to make money. Our health care is insanely expensive for the self-employed and the cost of living in any decent city is insane.
Tramps like us.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Well you know, Obama wasn't actually taking us down an authoritarian path either.  If someone wants to bail on a country that they feel no longer represents them or their values, I say more power to them.  What difference is it to you?

I've waded into a forum I try to avoid, but we are not headed down an authoritarian path.  Carrot Top isn't going to get 90% of his blustering demands, and everyone in his administration, aside from himself, knows it.

• Like 1

I haven't traveled in Asia, but everywhere I have been in Europe(Germany, Netherlands,Italy,UK), SA(Uruguay, Argentina, Brazil) and NZ/AUS were not "cheap" from what I have seen.  Many of the things we take for granted were actually more expensive.  Also, unless you renounce your citizenship you will still owe Federal Taxes as well.

9 hours ago, Junior Miller said:

The one thing I'm wondering is if all these people here with IRAs and 401ks around the age of 45 to 50 or younger will have pretty much their entire retirements blow away when the financial shit hits the fan in America. That's going to be a real kick in the ass when all that money you've put aside is all but gone because of governmental corruption and extreme corporate greed. I think gen x is going to really take it in the ass big time. 

I'm curious what countries you think are going to be better off economically when shit "hits the fan". Even when the US is in a recession it is still the largest economy in the world. Leaving the country to escape an "American recession" seems asinine. The global economy is way too interconnected at this point for that to be a viable plan of action. If the US goes down we're dragging everyone else down with us. 

56 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

The idea that Trump is “not getting anything done” on he legislative side ignores perhaps the two most damaging fronts of his assault: (1) judges and (2) the erosion of the American administrative state.  

Many here probably celebrate the latter without appreciating the importance of our bureaucracy to American power and stability.  Let me put it this way: if you were Vladimir Putin, how delighted would you be with things like an extended government shutdown leading to an exodus of qualified employees, a failure to appoint critical officials in a variety of agencies (DOE, State, etc.), high levels of turnover in those agencies due to frustration with the administration, etc.?  Trump is purposefully eroding the foundation of American power.  And he’s doing it largely through inaction.  

The administrative state does need some reworking, but you are right.

Speaking of administrative state, I am very impressed with Commissioner of Patents, er Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the United States Patent and Trademark Office, Andrei Iancu.  I wonder how that happened.  You'd really expect Trump to have appointed a Michele Lee type (ie an industry stooge).