Texas recruiting notes 2019

bigup2dahorns

4 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Your confidence is absurd because you have no idea what Orlando wants to do. If Orlando wants to be a head coach - and all indications are that he does - we would have to offer significantly more than what he would expect to get as a head coach of a P5 program. Some middle-tier P5 program may offer him $2.5 million a year, which would be between Dave Cutcliff and DJ Durkin. That sounds about right. And that would be $800k more than Dave Aranda, the highest paid coordinator. So Texas would likely have to greatly exceed what he could make to retain him. That doesn’t sound likely. Under that not-unreasonable scenario it seems much lore likely he takes the head coaching gig. So for you to make ridiculous guarantees about Orlando’s long-term prospects for being the DC at Texas is confusing your own wishes for fact.

As absurd or ridiculous as my confidence might seem, it isn't confidence, it is entirely based on a precedence. Frankly, nobody outside of Texas fanboy circles and the trolling "journalists" who cover this team are saying Todd Orlando is the Next Big Thing in the Head Coaching market. Up and comer? Sure. Orlando did a great job in Year 1 at 7-6 Texas, his first step up to Blue Blood level. Great. So did Manny Diaz. So did Vance Bedford. Brent Venables has far more skins on the wall than Orlando, and has been at Clemson for 7 years. Kirby Smart was the DC of Alabama for 8 years before he took the HC gig at Georgia.  Orlando appears to me to be cut from a similar cloth as those guys, and I don't expect him to leave after his second season at Texas to take a lower tier P5 job. A far better move would be to help this team get to the fucking playoff, continue to make a legitimate name for himself, become the highest paid DC in the country and then take his pick of Blue Blood programs if he wants to be a head coach. As you astutely pointed out, none of us have any idea what Orlando wants to do. But leaving after Year 2 makes no sense based on peer precedence and his agent is an idiot if that's the kind of advice he is receiving. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RomaVicta said:

If Herman gets this program rolling again, I would be tempted to stay if I were him. The money is great as is every other aspect of life. 

Of course, I don't have the kind of fire it takes to pay your dues and climb the coaching ladder. Even if I did, I'd still want to watch Herman and consider if it's worth it to take on all the stuff a head coach has to take on outside of building a football team. Orlando comes across as smart and articulate but I don't see him at ease as a head coach.

But I don't know shit about fuck. It would be hard to turn down a top 20 job, but is that where his best offers will come from? Would he go back to Houston? He did want the job when Herman left, would he now?

I guess my post has deteriorated into a muse. I'm a Longhorn and I'd be happy to be a millionaire in Austin and parking at Belmont every day.

That's a good point.

I don't know if Orlando wants to be a HC or not,  but with the money the guys can make now I think you could see more and more career coordinators. 

A lot of people are happy with their own little area without the problems that come with being a HC.  

16 hours ago, HtownHorn said:

Beaty and Herman coached together at Rice in 2007. So there is history with them.

Just curious where, at the college level, has Beaty been successful. I know he was a wr coach somewhere and a co-offensive coordinator somewhere else. His Kansas teams have had some issues.

15 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Just curious where, at the college level, has Beaty been successful. I know he was a wr coach somewhere and a co-offensive coordinator somewhere else. His Kansas teams have had some issues.

He was regarded as being behind a lot of the recruiting success of the Sumlin era aggies.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

That's a good point.

I don't know if Orlando wants to be a HC or not,  but with the money the guys can make now I think you could see more and more career coordinators. 

A lot of people are happy with their own little area without the problems that come with being a HC.  

Name them.

Folks, every great DC we have had goes on to become a HC. If Orlando keeps trending up, he’ll leave to become a HC and we’ll throw a bunch of money at the next big thing. It’s ok.

10 hours ago, futureman said:

hey, glen, fuck off.  I wouldn’t let you strategically observe me taking a dump. 

You must live a sad, lonely life to have to sit there and follow me around all day.  Do us all a favor and drink bleach.  

You literally contribute nothing to this board or thread.  

Edited by GlenFromTheMailRoom

So y’all really think that we’ll get a P5 HC to come and be coordinator/position coach for Herman?  

Maybe Beaty, but no way do I see KK coming here. Hell, I can see him in College Station helping to bring Jimbo to the 21st century before I see him coming to work under Herman. 

Saban does it, but he has a handful of rings, wins 12 games a year and will continue to make the playoffs every year.  Herman is a ways away from having that pull. 

42 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Bud Foster and Mickey Andrews come to mind. 

Brent Venables certainly could have had several HC jobs by now... not saying it's relevant to Todd Orlando but it's been done. 

40 minutes ago, Schulz2.0 said:

jerry-sandusky1.jpg

So Bud Foster, a dude who started as a coordinator in the 70s, a child rapist, and a dude who apparently has done something that keeps him from being a head coach vs. nearly every single college head coach. 

2 hours ago, GlenFromTheMailRoom said:

You must live a sad, lonely life to have to sit there and follow me around all day.  Do us all a favor and drink bleach.  

You literally contribute nothing to this board or thread.  

He must contribute something because you keep responding to it.

• Fuck You 3

IT

TYLER JOHNSON

Expectations for his senior year:
"I think we've built our team up a lot over this off-season, so I think we have a better chance to make a playoff run this year."

He's quiet, but still recruiting for Texas:
"One guy I'm trying to get, his name is Derrian Brown, I used to play ball with him when I was little."

You have the Watsons working on the Georgia running back locally and the road-grader doing his part from afar. Brown, who had an opening performance that would make Al Bundy proud, is leaning in UT's direction.

Joseph Ossai:
"Before going into summer workouts he was about 225, now he's about 240-245, so that tells you what Yancy McKnight is doing over there at the program. He also has real expectations for the season coming up."

I knew Ossai was special simply by attending his practices where he and Johnson would square off in practice. Nothing gets a big tackle ready like competing against a cat quick defensive end all week in practice.

Tope Imade:
"He's doing real good. He's a cool guy. He's like a Marvel/DC guy but football-wise, he's huge, a big guy, he's a hard worker too. Coach Hand always talks about him."

He mentioned the comic book part as a continuation of the last time we talked. He mentioned Tope was trying to get him to Austin to watch whatever movie was out at the time. The two struck a quick bond and Imade, along with Hand, played a big part in Johnson committing early.

Expectations when he arrives in Austin:
"I'm going to work as hard as I can. I'm going to try and be a starter right off the bat but if it doesn't happen at first I'm going to take every opportunity to get out there."

Texas will need competition at tackle next season, but Johnson doesn't yet strike me as an offensive tackle that will play immediately. For Texas, a couple of years ago, that wouldn't have been the case.

Besides football and academics, what he's looking forward to at Texas:
"Just the people and the city as a whole. Out of all my visits that was the city I liked the best. It really has a good atmosphere."

I joked with his mother by telling her I predicted them to Texas after talking to them outside of Moncrief well over a year ago. She chuckled and said she remembered the conversation. The parents are every bit as bought in as Tyler is.

ANDREW COKER AND MARCUS STRIPLING

I talked to the Katy Taylor offensive tackle last week. While I get the sense he's excited about TCU, I think Texas can still make a big move for him. He's been very receptive to communication with Herb Hand and the two talk pretty often.

I've been lukewarm towards Coker but one of my favorite things is watching these guys evolve over time. If they evolve so to does my opinion.

Like his sophomore teammate, Hayden Conner, Coker has been on the scene for a long time. Originally he was "over-rated" and with a bad body but as his body has matured, so too has his game.

Last February when a good college source of mine told me he had his eye on Coker, I was surprised. This guy is on one of the best evaluating staffs in the country. I'll take their word over mine on this one.

I also talked to A&M commit Braedon Mowry, who plays defensive end and is Coker's teammate. I asked him about that fantastic offensive line that also includes Conner and sophomore Bryce Foster. When pressed to name the best one he didn't hesitate to name Coker. Normally that's to be expected but Conner and Foster are elite prospects. Mowry is a quicker/bendy player off the edge, rather than a power guy, so it's good to hear Coker is a tough match-up for him. Those are the guys who will give him the most trouble in college.

I'm expecting Coker to have a good year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas ramp up its efforts. If it does, a flip would not surprise me.

Staying in the Katy-ish area, here's a little water cooler talk. Mayde Creek defensive lineman, Marcus Stripling, has shown little interest in Texas but the recruiting fan in me is still curious where he'll end up. He's going to take official visits to LSU, Alabama, and A&M. A&M is telling him they're almost full. They're already at 25 commits. Who knows if he'll be a take for Bama. LSU's recruiting finish could mirror its season, whatever that is. I didn't hear Oklahoma mentioned but I imagine they're right there in it.

Stripling has long been considered and A&M lock -- and he could commit today for all I know, though that isn't expected -- but he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to commit and he doesn't sound like the type to be pressured off of his timeline.

I've talked to a couple of writers who aren't as high on him as they once were. I ask them what they thought his position was and heard back defensive end. Wrong, his upside is at defensive tackle, especially if he finds himself in a scheme that attacks its interior players up-field.

If I'm Texas I hang around the rim. If you land Coker and Cinco Ranch linebacker, David Gbenda, you'd have a couple of his buddies in his ear. I give this a very slim chance as both parties seem indifferent at this point, but weird things happen in recruiting.

DERRIAN BROWN and DAVID GBENDA

It's no secret Texas is in a great place with both 2019 prospects. We've written how UT leads for both and how we could see both becoming Longhorns in the future.

Let's start with Brown. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound tailback from Buford (GA) holds 30 offers for a reason; he can scoot. At first I wasn't a big fan of the junior tape, but that's because 2020's Zach Evans has spoiled us.

Brown played last week and was explosive. He hit holes, made cut backs, and was very good catching the ball out of the backfield. One Georgia area HS coach told me he's Jamaal Charles. I can't go that far, but I'm convinced the guy is a take all day. The connection with Tyler Johnson is crazy.

"He's a great kid," said the area coach. "He's Jamaal Charles 2.0. He can run inside and outside, catches the ball well, and a powerful runner with great vision."

The four-star Brown, who holds offers from Alabama, Penn State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Florida, and Oregon among others caught the Horns' attention in May. He's definitely ready to see the 40 Acres.

"I'm ready," said Brown. "We will have a great team this fall, so that's my focus now. But seeing Austin will be big." Brown is expected to visit as soon as the dead period ends. He'll be in attendance for USC, but may also try and catch the Tulsa game. He's that eager.

Now, Gbenda, the Cinco Ranch LB. The offer list blew up after a great performance at The Opening Regional in Houston. At 6-foot-0, 215, he's an accurate fit in the pass-happy Big 12. Linebackers in this conference have to run and cover, and Gbenda can do both.

With UT, TCU, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss among his favorites, Gbenda and Texas make too much sense. He can fill a Rover role, and possibly more after an offseason or two with Yancy McKnight.

I can see a situation where both recruits pledge early in the season. And the Longhorns have set themselves up nicely for both.

WHAT'S THE FINAL NUMBER FOR 2019?

Texas currently sits at 15 commitments in mid-August, good enough for a Top 9 ranking from 247.

They've filled spots at QB, OT, TE, and some blue chips at WR, LB, and DB. The holes are RB, another pass-catcher or two, an interior o-line, 2-3 d-linemen, and another linebacker.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ)
WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Oklahoma City, OK)
TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ)
TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX)
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX)
DT T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (Huntsville, TX)
DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX)
LB De'Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA)
LB Marcus Tillman, Jones (Orlando, FL)
CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (Alvin, TX)
CB Kenyatta Watson, Grayson (Loganville, GA)
S Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Lakewood, CA)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX)

Let's say the number is 27. That leaves 12 spots for the taking. If they're allocated as such, let's try this scenario:

RB (1 or two) - Brown (Buford, Georgia), Deondrick Glass (Katy, TX).
WR (2 more) - Marcus Washington (St. Louis, Missouri), and/or Garrett Wilson, Elijah Higgins, and Langston Anderson (Texas).
OL (1-2 more) - Coker (Texas), Cole Birmingham (Katy, TX), Juco.
DL (2-3 more) - Jacoby Jones (Butler CC), Taurean Carter (Texas),
LB (1) - Bru McCoy or one of the other Cali LB offers, possibly Lakia Henry (Dodge City CC).
DB (2, nickel and safety) - Jalen Catalon, Lewis Cine, and Tyler Owens (Texas).

That's between 11-12 and leaves room for possibly one more. There's a good chance a few more spots open up in December. If this staff has proven anything, they'll completely maximize the grad transfer and JUCO market to fill in the blanks. More names will appear soon.

The staff is focused on Maryland prep, but don't forget when USC travels to Austin, there could be one of the finest collections of HS athletes at one game in a long time. September could wind up really nice on and off the field.

This 2019 group may not finish Top 3 like the #RevolUTion18, but it could easily slide into a Top 5 with a strong season on the field.

29 minutes ago, Machinator said:

IT

Hide contents

TYLER JOHNSON

Expectations for his senior year:
"I think we've built our team up a lot over this off-season, so I think we have a better chance to make a playoff run this year."

He's quiet, but still recruiting for Texas:
"One guy I'm trying to get, his name is Derrian Brown, I used to play ball with him when I was little."

You have the Watsons working on the Georgia running back locally and the road-grader doing his part from afar. Brown, who had an opening performance that would make Al Bundy proud, is leaning in UT's direction.

Joseph Ossai:
"Before going into summer workouts he was about 225, now he's about 240-245, so that tells you what Yancy McKnight is doing over there at the program. He also has real expectations for the season coming up."

I knew Ossai was special simply by attending his practices where he and Johnson would square off in practice. Nothing gets a big tackle ready like competing against a cat quick defensive end all week in practice.

Tope Imade:
"He's doing real good. He's a cool guy. He's like a Marvel/DC guy but football-wise, he's huge, a big guy, he's a hard worker too. Coach Hand always talks about him."

He mentioned the comic book part as a continuation of the last time we talked. He mentioned Tope was trying to get him to Austin to watch whatever movie was out at the time. The two struck a quick bond and Imade, along with Hand, played a big part in Johnson committing early.

Expectations when he arrives in Austin:
"I'm going to work as hard as I can. I'm going to try and be a starter right off the bat but if it doesn't happen at first I'm going to take every opportunity to get out there."

Texas will need competition at tackle next season, but Johnson doesn't yet strike me as an offensive tackle that will play immediately. For Texas, a couple of years ago, that wouldn't have been the case.

Besides football and academics, what he's looking forward to at Texas:
"Just the people and the city as a whole. Out of all my visits that was the city I liked the best. It really has a good atmosphere."

I joked with his mother by telling her I predicted them to Texas after talking to them outside of Moncrief well over a year ago. She chuckled and said she remembered the conversation. The parents are every bit as bought in as Tyler is.

ANDREW COKER AND MARCUS STRIPLING

I talked to the Katy Taylor offensive tackle last week. While I get the sense he's excited about TCU, I think Texas can still make a big move for him. He's been very receptive to communication with Herb Hand and the two talk pretty often.

I've been lukewarm towards Coker but one of my favorite things is watching these guys evolve over time. If they evolve so to does my opinion.

Like his sophomore teammate, Hayden Conner, Coker has been on the scene for a long time. Originally he was "over-rated" and with a bad body but as his body has matured, so too has his game.

Last February when a good college source of mine told me he had his eye on Coker, I was surprised. This guy is on one of the best evaluating staffs in the country. I'll take their word over mine on this one.

I also talked to A&M commit Braedon Mowry, who plays defensive end and is Coker's teammate. I asked him about that fantastic offensive line that also includes Conner and sophomore Bryce Foster. When pressed to name the best one he didn't hesitate to name Coker. Normally that's to be expected but Conner and Foster are elite prospects. Mowry is a quicker/bendy player off the edge, rather than a power guy, so it's good to hear Coker is a tough match-up for him. Those are the guys who will give him the most trouble in college.

I'm expecting Coker to have a good year and I wouldn't be surprised to see Texas ramp up its efforts. If it does, a flip would not surprise me.

Staying in the Katy-ish area, here's a little water cooler talk. Mayde Creek defensive lineman, Marcus Stripling, has shown little interest in Texas but the recruiting fan in me is still curious where he'll end up. He's going to take official visits to LSU, Alabama, and A&M. A&M is telling him they're almost full. They're already at 25 commits. Who knows if he'll be a take for Bama. LSU's recruiting finish could mirror its season, whatever that is. I didn't hear Oklahoma mentioned but I imagine they're right there in it.

Stripling has long been considered and A&M lock -- and he could commit today for all I know, though that isn't expected -- but he doesn't seem to be in a hurry to commit and he doesn't sound like the type to be pressured off of his timeline.

I've talked to a couple of writers who aren't as high on him as they once were. I ask them what they thought his position was and heard back defensive end. Wrong, his upside is at defensive tackle, especially if he finds himself in a scheme that attacks its interior players up-field.

If I'm Texas I hang around the rim. If you land Coker and Cinco Ranch linebacker, David Gbenda, you'd have a couple of his buddies in his ear. I give this a very slim chance as both parties seem indifferent at this point, but weird things happen in recruiting.

DERRIAN BROWN and DAVID GBENDA

It's no secret Texas is in a great place with both 2019 prospects. We've written how UT leads for both and how we could see both becoming Longhorns in the future.

Let's start with Brown. The 5-foot-11, 180-pound tailback from Buford (GA) holds 30 offers for a reason; he can scoot. At first I wasn't a big fan of the junior tape, but that's because 2020's Zach Evans has spoiled us.

Brown played last week and was explosive. He hit holes, made cut backs, and was very good catching the ball out of the backfield. One Georgia area HS coach told me he's Jamaal Charles. I can't go that far, but I'm convinced the guy is a take all day. The connection with Tyler Johnson is crazy.

"He's a great kid," said the area coach. "He's Jamaal Charles 2.0. He can run inside and outside, catches the ball well, and a powerful runner with great vision."

The four-star Brown, who holds offers from Alabama, Penn State, Notre Dame, Auburn, Florida, and Oregon among others caught the Horns' attention in May. He's definitely ready to see the 40 Acres.

"I'm ready," said Brown. "We will have a great team this fall, so that's my focus now. But seeing Austin will be big." Brown is expected to visit as soon as the dead period ends. He'll be in attendance for USC, but may also try and catch the Tulsa game. He's that eager.

Now, Gbenda, the Cinco Ranch LB. The offer list blew up after a great performance at The Opening Regional in Houston. At 6-foot-0, 215, he's an accurate fit in the pass-happy Big 12. Linebackers in this conference have to run and cover, and Gbenda can do both.

With UT, TCU, Texas A&M, and Ole Miss among his favorites, Gbenda and Texas make too much sense. He can fill a Rover role, and possibly more after an offseason or two with Yancy McKnight.

I can see a situation where both recruits pledge early in the season. And the Longhorns have set themselves up nicely for both.

WHAT'S THE FINAL NUMBER FOR 2019?

Texas currently sits at 15 commitments in mid-August, good enough for a Top 9 ranking from 247.

They've filled spots at QB, OT, TE, and some blue chips at WR, LB, and DB. The holes are RB, another pass-catcher or two, an interior o-line, 2-3 d-linemen, and another linebacker.

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
WR Jake Smith, Notre Dame Prep (Scottsdale, AZ)
WR Demariyon Houston, Millwood (Oklahoma City, OK)
TE Brayden Liebrock, Chandler (Chandler, AZ)
TE Jared Wiley, Temple (Temple, TX)
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
OL Javonne Shepherd, North Forest (Houston, TX)
DT T'Vondre Sweat, Huntsville (Huntsville, TX)
DE Peter Mpagi, George Ranch (Richmond, TX)
LB De'Gabriel Floyd, Westlake (Westlake Village, CA)
LB Marcus Tillman, Jones (Orlando, FL)
CB Marques Caldwell, Alvin (Alvin, TX)
CB Kenyatta Watson, Grayson (Loganville, GA)
S Chris Adimora, Mayfair (Lakewood, CA)
ATH Jordan Whittington, Cuero (Cuero, TX)

Let's say the number is 27. That leaves 12 spots for the taking. If they're allocated as such, let's try this scenario:

RB (1 or two) - Brown (Buford, Georgia), Deondrick Glass (Katy, TX).
WR (2 more) - Marcus Washington (St. Louis, Missouri), and/or Garrett Wilson, Elijah Higgins, and Langston Anderson (Texas).
OL (1-2 more) - Coker (Texas), Cole Birmingham (Katy, TX), Juco.
DL (2-3 more) - Jacoby Jones (Butler CC), Taurean Carter (Texas),
LB (1) - Bru McCoy or one of the other Cali LB offers, possibly Lakia Henry (Dodge City CC).
DB (2, nickel and safety) - Jalen Catalon, Lewis Cine, and Tyler Owens (Texas).

That's between 11-12 and leaves room for possibly one more. There's a good chance a few more spots open up in December. If this staff has proven anything, they'll completely maximize the grad transfer and JUCO market to fill in the blanks. More names will appear soon.

The staff is focused on Maryland prep, but don't forget when USC travels to Austin, there could be one of the finest collections of HS athletes at one game in a long time. September could wind up really nice on and off the field.

This 2019 group may not finish Top 3 like the #RevolUTion18, but it could easily slide into a Top 5 with a strong season on the field.

Why in the fuck do these guys think Texas is going to pursue another tackle? I mean, if Wilkins somehow makes an appearance, you take him, but otherwise, wtf? They're not short on tackles in the program or in this class. There's literally zero talk about tackle from inside. Interior? Sure. 

Beyond that, they reference another Katy guy as an OL take. It's like they visited one suburb of Houston, and, well, those are the guys. Right. 

2 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Why in the fuck do these guys think Texas is going to pursue another tackle? I mean, if Wilkins somehow makes an appearance, you take him, but otherwise, wtf? They're not short on tackles in the program or in this class. There's literally zero talk about tackle from inside. Interior? Sure. 

Beyond that, they reference another Katy guy as an OL take. It's like they visited one suburb of Houston, and, well, those are the guys. Right. 

its been said Hand likes tackle bodies on the interior. it also helps with keeping the best 5 on the field with guys who can play inside and outside.

From the outside looking in, to me it makes sense to take another tackle, particularly one who isn't a project. Moore, Jones, and Shepherd are all projects imo, and adding another tackle to pair with Tyler Johnson as guys who can play sooner makes sense to me. Plus, I like the idea of hoarding tackles, similar to how I like the idea of hoarding corners. 

But if there's not much talk of adding a tackle from the staff, then I can't argue with that. 

Just now, Fud said:

From the outside looking in, to me it makes sense to take another tackle, particularly one who isn't a project. Moore, Jones, and Shepherd are all projects imo, and adding another tackle to pair with Tyler Johnson as guys who can play sooner makes sense to me. Plus, I like the idea of hoarding tackles, similar to how I like the idea of hoarding corners. 

But if there's not much talk of adding a tackle from the staff, then I can't argue with that. 

Taking two tackles in every class is hoarding tackles. They're doing that. Might they find some sort of can't miss hidden gem? Sure. Coker isn't that guy. They apparently really like Cosmi, Jones, and Moore. They plan to redshirt the latter two and that's how you build wealth on the OL in CFB. I suspect they'll take the same approach with Johnson and Shepard. 

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Taking two tackles in every class is hoarding tackles. They're doing that. Might they find some sort of can't miss hidden gem? Sure. Coker isn't that guy. They apparently really like Cosmi, Jones, and Moore. They plan to redshirt the latter two and that's how you build wealth on the OL in CFB. I suspect they'll take the same approach with Johnson and Shepard. 

And if all these guy were to pan out Jones and Johnson can play Guard.  

Oh, and fuck Stanford for getting Bragg.  Any chance he visits for a game or takes an OV here or is that one done?

4 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Oh, and fuck Stanford for getting Bragg.  Any chance he visits for a game or takes an OV here or is that one done?

Bragg is done 

8 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

[CTJ] Stanford is going to gargle balls this year. [/voice]

I know a lot of preseason rags are high on them.  But I personally think they're looking at 7 wins max, with six wins more likely.  Do back-to-back five loss seasons (or worse) heat up Shaw's seat?  Does Stanford's O (and OL development) take a step back after losing Mike Bloomgren?

And, at the end of the day, would any of that matter with a kid like Bragg?

Edited by Katfid54

39 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Because it's easier to move a high school tackle to a college guard, rather than a high school guard to a college tackle. You don't find many 6'5" guards in high school

12 minutes ago, PR7 said:

Because it's easier to move a high school tackle to a college guard, rather than a high school guard to a college tackle. You don't find many 6'5" guards in high school

You're non sequituring a false choice into this dialogue. No one is interested in converting high school guards into college tackles. Like, that has literally never been mentioned on this board. Go watch Coker, though, and then walk me through how he projects to guard.

The logic for finding HS tackles that project to guard is fine, but that isn't Coker. It's also not what we should be looking at for Johnson or Shepard. They're tackles in college. Some recruitniks and most "gurus" want to take every fucking tackle ever covered in HS and turn all of them into college guards. It's stunning to me that any school is able to field two tackles on Saturdays when the whistle blows. 

Collegiate interior players need to have an anchor. It's a non-starter without that, otherwise you'll get bull-rushed and teams will specifically target that and constantly cause disruption, and I don't see that with Coker; it's tackle or bust for him. Ideally, you pair an anchor with athleticism, length, and aggressiveness, which Texas should be able to do most of the time. You shouldn't assume all tackles can spin inside, although it's probably not a bad idea to take "swing guys" from time to time who hopefully offer positional flexibility if they pan out. 

14 hours ago, Sejjr said:

As absurd or ridiculous as my confidence might seem, it isn't confidence, it is entirely based on a precedence. Frankly, nobody outside of Texas fanboy circles and the trolling "journalists" who cover this team are saying Todd Orlando is the Next Big Thing in the Head Coaching market. Up and comer? Sure. Orlando did a great job in Year 1 at 7-6 Texas, his first step up to Blue Blood level. Great. So did Manny Diaz. So did Vance Bedford. Brent Venables has far more skins on the wall than Orlando, and has been at Clemson for 7 years. Kirby Smart was the DC of Alabama for 8 years before he took the HC gig at Georgia.  Orlando appears to me to be cut from a similar cloth as those guys, and I don't expect him to leave after his second season at Texas to take a lower tier P5 job. A far better move would be to help this team get to the fucking playoff, continue to make a legitimate name for himself, become the highest paid DC in the country and then take his pick of Blue Blood programs if he wants to be a head coach. As you astutely pointed out, none of us have any idea what Orlando wants to do. But leaving after Year 2 makes no sense based on peer precedence and his agent is an idiot if that's the kind of advice he is receiving. 

Orlando interviewed for the Houston HC position.  He came to Texas when Applewhite got the job.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, GOAT said:

What's with the obsession over Beatty? Go look at the high-ranked guys he recruited, and besides Myles Garrett they have all been busts

So were most of the guys recruited by Mack Brown at the end of his tenure. It isn't Beatty's job to evaluate in a silo. It also isn't his job to create the culture by which young men have a greater chance to be successful. You're shocked a bunch of guys that were talented arrived in College Station under Kevin Sumlin and then failed to meet expectations? Oh, you don't fucking say?!?!

It's his job to go get the guys the staff targets. The guys who evaluate, all the coaches who weight in on recruits, they as much or more responsible for who gets offered. Herman and McKnight are responsible for the culture once a guy signs with Texas. All Beatty would have to do is close the kid and maintain relationships with them, their family, and HS coaches and maybe trainers. So basically all of the things Oscar Giles won't do an Drew Mehringer sucks balls at...

I'm not sitting her advocating that Beatty is a home run hire, but the take that all his highly recruited guys are busts is indicative entirely on him is lazy and fucking stupid. Newsflash, not EVERY single recruit that went to Baylor under briles was a piece of shit scumbag coming out of HS...some of them became that way when they got on campus. Culture matters. 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2018 at 3:12 PM, closetojumping said:

The premise that HtownHorn thinks it's perfectly fine to have abdicated one of the top 4 fertile recruiting grounds in the entire country because, basically, "they don't have any of them good kids there anymore", tells you everything you need to know about this goober as a poster. 

Calling someone Goober has to be my favorite G-rated insult.  +rep

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

Bear Nagurski Lombardi could coach Kansas and they would have issues.

They probably have more to offer than Boise State so with the right coach they could potentially win a game or two every year. But, that isn't really important as we wouldn't be hiring him as a head coach. What I am asking is whether he has been successful as a wr coach, a co-offensive coordinator or any other coaching position he has had in college? One person said he recruited well under Sumlin. That's a start.

There is some talent in DFW though. From The Star Telegram:

1. WR Theo Wease

6-3, 195, Allen

Committed to Oklahoma. Also considered Alabama, LSU, Baylor, Auburn, Michigan and more. Held 40 offers. Rivals ranks him as the No. 3 player in the country, top player in Texas and top WR in the country. Ranked as the No. 4 receiver in the nation, No. 3 overall prospect in Texas by 247Sports. Recorded 53 catches, 852 yards, 14 TDs in 2017.

2. DB Brian Williams

6-0, 185, Dallas Bishop Dunne

Committed to Texas A&M. Ranked as the No. 2 safety in the nation by 247. Also considered Notre Dame, Alabama, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Ohio State and more. He was named ALL-USA Texas football defensive player of the year.

3. WR Trejan Bridges

6-1, 185, Hebron

Committed to Oklahoma. Also considered Arkansas, Baylor, Wisconsin, Texas Tech, Utah, Washington State, Michigan State and Kansas. Recorded 13 TDs in 2017.

4. DB Lewis Cine

6-2, 180, Trinity Christian Cedar Hill

Ranked as the No. 3 safety in the nation by 247. Holds 36 scholarship offers including Michigan, Auburn, Ohio State and more. He's projected to commit with Penn State, per 247.

5. LB/DL NaNa Osafo-Mensah

6-4, 225, Nolan Catholic

Committed to Notre Dame. Also considered TCU, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, UCLA, Texas, Baylor, Georgia, Arkansas, Oklahoma State and more. Ranked the No. 7 weak-side defensive end in the nation.

6. DB Jalen Catalon

5-9, 180, Mansfield Legacy

Considering TCU, Oklahoma, Texas, Stanford, Missouri, Ohio State, Arkansas and more. Ranked the No. 13 safety in the nation. He’s projected to commit with Texas, per 247Sports. Voted Associated Press Class 5A all-state defensive player of the year when he was just a sophomore. Recorded 297 tackles, 12 INTs the past two seasons.

7. ATH Marquez Beason

5-11, 175, Dallas Bishop Dunne

Holds 47 scholarship offers. Ranked the No. 4 athlete in the nation, No. 9 overall prospect in Texas. Recorded 11 TDs in 2017

8. TE Austin Stogner

6-6, 230, Plano Prestonwood

Committed to Oklahoma. Also considered TCU, Texas A&M, Alabama, Auburn, Baylor, LSU, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State and more. Ranked the No. 2 tight end in the nation. Recorded 10 TDs in 2017.

9. LB Marcel Brooks

6-3, 200, Flower Mound Marcus

Committed to LSU. Also considered TCU, Clemson, Alabama, Baylor, Florida, Texas, Texas A&M, Michigan and more. Ranked as the No. 5 outside linebacker in the nation and No. 16 overall prospect in the state.

10. ATH Jeffery Carter

6-0, 180, Aledo

Considering Texas, Texas A&M, Alabama and Oklahoma. Ranked the No. 11 cornerback in the nation.

11. WR Kameron Brown

6-0, 170, Colleyville Heritage

Committed to Texas A&M. Also considered TCU, Texas, UCLA, Texas Tech, Alabama, Baylor, Georgia, LSU, Miami and more. Ranked the No. 27 receiver in the nation. Recorded 71 catches, 1,147 yards, 20 TDs in 2017.

12. DB Demani Richardson

6-1, 190, Waxahachie

Committed to Texas A&M. Also considered TCU, Texas, Baylor, Missouri and Georgia. Ranked the No. 8 safety in the nation and No. 18 overall prospect in the state. Recorded 11 TDs in 2017.

13. OL E.J. Ndoma-Ogar

6-3, 305, Allen

Committed to Oklahoma. Held 40 scholarship offers. Ranked the No. 8 offensive guard in the nation.

EJ Ndoma-Ogar

14. WR Dylan Wright

6-3, 195, West Mesquite

Considering TCU, Texas, Oklahoma, Arizona, Baylor, Arkansas, Nebraska, Ohio State, Oregon and more. He’s projected to commit with the Longhorns, per 247Sports.

15. QB Grant Tisdale

6-1, 205, Allen

Committed to Ole Miss. Ranked the No. 11 dual-threat quarterback in the nation. Also considered Ohio State, Baylor, Texas Tech, Utah, Oregon, Oklahoma State and more. Recorded 3,000 total yards, 42 TDs in 2017.

16. OL Branson Bragg

6-4, 295, Crandall

Holds 20 scholarship offers. Ranked the No. 3 center in the nation. He's projected to commit with Texas, per 247Sports.

17. RB Titus Swen

5-10, 205, Haslet Eaton

Holds offers from SMU, Kansas and Arizona State. Ranked the No. 16 running back in the nation. Recorded 459 carries, 3,086 yards, 39 TDs the past two seasons.

18. DL Hunter Spears

6-4, 280, Sachse

Committed to Notre Dame. Also considered TCU, Baylor, Texas Tech, Alabama and more. Ranked the No. 18 defensive tackle in the nation.

19. DL Steven Parker

6-4, 220, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Committed to Texas Tech. Also considered TCU, Baylor and UT-San Antonio. Ranked the No. 25 weak-side defensive end in the nation.

20. DB Jonathan McGill

5-9, 170, Coppell

Considering SMU, UT-San Antonio, Stanford, Syracuse, Nevada, Bowling Green and more. Ranked as the No. 41 safety in the nation. Recorded 80 tackles, 7 for loss, 10 pass deflections in 2017. He’s projected to commit with Stanford, per 247Sports.

21. DB Anfernee Orji

6-1, 200, Rockwall

Considering Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Utah. Recorded 84 tackles, 13 for loss, 4 sacks, 3 INTs, 6 pass deflections in 2017. He’s projected to commit with Vanderbilt, per 247Sports.

22. ATH Velton Gardner

5-9, 170, Dallas Skyline

Considering Texas Tech, Kansas State, North Texas, Southern Miss, Bowling Green, Jackson State, Syracuse and Lafayette. Recorded 3,000 total yards, 30 TDs in 2017. He's projected to commit with Colorado.

23. WR Nnamdi Adim-Madumere

6-3, 225, FW Southwest

Considering Alabama, Baylor, Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas State, North Texas and more. He’s projected to commit with the Aggies, per 247Sports. Recorded 13 TDs in 2017.

24. DL Jayden Jernigan

6-1, 270, Allen

Committed to Oklahoma State. Also considered Texas Tech, Washington, Arkansas State, Iowa State, Kansas, SMU and more. Ranked as the No. 36 defensive tackle in the nation.

25. DL Colt Ellison

6-4, 235, Aledo

Offers from TCU, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Illinois, Texas State, UT-San Antonio, Tulsa and more. Recorded 186 tackles, 34 for loss, 23.5 sacks the past two seasons. Ranked the No. 39 weak-side defensive end in the nation. He's projected to commit with the Horned Frogs, per 247Sports.

26. RB Qualan Jones

5-10, 210, Trinity Christian Cedar Hill

Committed to Baylor. Ranked the No. 29 running back in the nation. Rushed for 1,200 yards, 18 TDs in 2017.

27. DL Enoch Jackson

6-0, 290, Mansfield Legacy

Considering Arkansas, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Georgia, Ole Miss and Iowa. Recorded 52 tackles, 19 for loss, 6 sacks in 2017. He's projected to commit with the Razorbacks, per 247Sports.

28. DL Taurean Carter

6-3, 250, Mansfield Legacy

Considering TCU, Oklahoma State, Florida, Houston, Indiana, Texas Tech, Michigan State, Purdue, Colorado and Utah State. Ranked the No. 41 strong-side defensive end in the nation. Recorded 65 tackles, 16 for loss in 2017.

29. TE Baylor Cupp

6-6, 235, Brock

Committed to Texas A&M. Also considered Texas, Alabama, Baylor, Kansas, North Texas, Texas State, Tulsa and more. Ranked the No. 9 tight end overall in the nation.

30. QB Jacob Clark

6-5, 210, Rockwall

Committed to Minnesota. Also considered TCU, Washington State, Rice and Memphis. Ranked the No. 24 pro-style quarterback in the nation. Recorded 3,000 yards, 36 TDs in 2017.

31. DB Donavann Collins

5-11, 170, Cedar Hill

Committed to TCU. Also considered SMU, Illinois, Memphis, New Mexico and Louisiana Tech.

32. DL Shemar Pearl

6-4, 220, Plano West

Offers from Alabama, Baylor, SMU, Georgia, Colorado and more. Ranked the No. 42 weak-side defensive end in the nation.

33. WR La’Vontae Shenault

6-0, 180, DeSoto

Considering TCU, SMU, West Virginia, Utah, Oklahoma State, North Texas, Kansas State, Illinois and Colorado. Recorded 60 catches, 791 yards, 6 TDs in 2017.

34. DB William Jones

5-10, 165, Mansfield Summit

Committed to TCU. Recorded 6 interceptions and 9 pass deflections in 2017.

William Jones

Mansfield Summit’s William Jones (20) reacts to making a touchdown catch against Waxahachie in the second half of high school football action at Newsom Stadium in Mansfield, Texas on Friday, Sept. 16, 2016.

Brad Loper Special to the Star-Telegram

35. LB Gabriel Murphy

6-2, 215, Dallas Bishop Lynch

Offers from Air Force, Connecticut, Texas State and UT-San Antonio. Recorded 93 tackles, 25 for loss, 9.5 sacks in 2017.

36. OL Preston Wilson

6-4, 275, Argyle

Holds 30 offers from Texas Tech, Baylor, Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Washington State and more. He's projected to commit with the Red Raiders, per 247Sports.

37. RB T.J. McDaniel

6-0, 185, Southlake Carroll

Offers from Oregon, Clemson, Minnesota, San Diego State, Air Force and more. Recorded 1,900 yards rushing and 23 TDs in 2017.

38. DB Miles Williams

6-0, 165, Mansfield

Holds 19 offers from Cal, Texas State, UT-San Antonio, SMU and more. Recorded 28 tackles, 2 INTs, 6 pass deflections in 2017.

39. WR Rashee Rice

6-2, 175, Richland

Offers from Texas Tech, SMU, Washington State, Houton, Minnesota, Illinois, Tulsa and more. Recorded 1,200 yards, 15 TDs in 2017.

40. WR/DB Ty DeArman

5-11, 185, Arlington Bowie

Considering Wisconsin, Arkansas, Baylor, Texas Tech, Utah, Washington State, Arizona State and San Diego State. Recorded 990 total yards, 6 TDs, 64 tackles, 3 INTs, 4 pass deflections, 2 forced fumbles in 2017.

Ty DeArman

41. DB/LB Wyatt Harris

6-3, 220, Aledo

Committed to TCU. Recorded 71 tackles, 3 interceptions and 6 pass deflections in 2017.

42. RB Darrin Smith

5-8, 180, Frisco Lone Star

Committed to Connecticut. Also considered Nebraska, Colorado, Texas State, Louisiana-Monroe and more. Ranked the No. 10 all-purpose back in the nation. Rushed for 550 yards, 6 TDs in 2017.

43. DL Isreal Isuman-Hundley

6-5, 230, Argyle Liberty Christian

Committed to Oklahoma State. Ranked the No. 60 weak-side defensive end in the nation.

44. DB Stacy Brown

6-2, 185, Duncanville

Holds 19 offers from Missouri, Purdue, Arkansas State, Texas State, Louisiana-Monroe, UT-San Antonio and more.

45. DL Z'Core Brooks

6-6, 220, Dallas Wilson

Offers from Oklahoma State, Oregon State, SMU and Purdue. Recorded 43 tackles, 10 for loss, 4.5 sacks in 2017. He's projected to commit with Oklahoma State, per 247Sports.

46. RB Andrew Henry

5-9, 180, Allen

Offers from UTEP, Texas State, New Mexico State and Howard. Ranked the No. 46 running back in the nation.

47. WR Jabari Khepera

5-10, 180, Dallas Bishop Dunne

Offers from Kansas State, Mississippi State, Utah, UT-San Antonio, Illinois State and Jackson State.

48. RB Justin Dinka

5-11, 185, Flower Mound

Offers from Baylor, SMU, Houston, Missouri, Mississippi, Illinois, Indiana and more. Recorded 1,150 yards, 15 TDs in 2017. He's projected to commit with the Baylor, per 247Sports.

49. DB Deondre Dansby

5-11, 180, Dallas South Oak Cliff

Offers from SMU, Arizona State, Houston, Navy, Colorado and Jackson State. Recorded 117 tackles, 10 for loss, 15 pass deflections and 5 interceptions in 2017.

50. WR Langston Anderson

6-2, 190, Midlothian Heritage

Holds 21 offers from Texas, Baylor, Arizona State, SMU, Illinois, Houston, Mississippi and more. Recorded 850 yards, 9 TDs in 2017. He's projected to commit with the Longhorns, per 247Sports.

HONORABLE MENTION: Will Bowers (Southlake Carroll), Michael Black (Haltom), Caleb Leake (North Crowley), Anthony Watkins (FW South Hills), Chance Cover (Nolan Catholic), DJ Kirven (Kennedale), Blake Irving (Keller Timber Creek), DeMareus Hosey (Justin Northwest), RoShawn Prear (Grapevine), Jaylen Hearst (Keller Fossil Ridge), David Clayton (Grapevine), Virdel Edwards (Plano Prestonwood), Chans Jones (Dallas Bishop Dunne), Marcus Alexander (Sunnyvale), Montrell Smith (Arlington Martin), Michael Parrish (Southlake Carroll), Brian DeClercq (Arlington), Jaden Smith (Kennedale), Kyron White (Arlington), Jayce Godley (Arlington Martin), Ben Cawyer (Nolan Catholic), Shawn Holton (Nolan Catholic), Jack Taylor (FW All Saints), DeShawn Gaddie (Arlington Lamar).