Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

On 9/15/2023 at 10:46 AM, animaltobacco11 said:

I dont know, it's obnoxious to me to play human frogger trying to grocery shop when it's the actual employees running around in everyone's way like elves on christmas eve, as if you are in their way.

Would it bother you if it wasn't employees, but just more customers and their kids since curbside wasn't an option for those shoppers to just have their groceries brought to them? Because it's probably six to one, half dozen the other. Personally, I choose to shop early on Saturday or Sunday mornings at off hours because it's not to busy, but there's usually enough eye candy to help me enjoy the shopping process. 

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

Would it bother you if it wasn't employees, but just more customers and their kids since curbside wasn't an option for those shoppers to just have their groceries brought to them? Because it's probably six to one, half dozen the other. Personally, I choose to shop early on Saturday or Sunday mornings at off hours because it's not to busy, but there's usually enough eye candy to help me enjoy the shopping process. 

When you put it that way, it would bother me the same.

I guess I have this broken brain idea that employees should defer and acquiesce to the paying customer when it comes to polite niceties like convenience and being in the way and even worse having a disgruntled or bad attitude about having to serve. It triggers me, like having teenagers all over again.

2 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

When you put it that way, it would bother me the same.

I guess I have this broken brain idea that employees should defer and acquiesce to the paying customer when it comes to polite niceties like convenience and being in the way and even worse having a disgruntled or bad attitude about having to serve. It triggers me, like having teenagers all over again.

Well, most of those employees ARE teenagers. So that's not all that surprising either. 

Most of the time the employees at my store try to be polite and defer, but it's also hard for them to see what's happening with their 6 foot high giant mobile shelves that they use to fill the curbside orders. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

employees should defer and acquiesce to the paying customer when it comes to polite niceties like convenience and being in the way

You're not wrong there, but the overall concept of limiting one's impact on others in public situations is lost on society as a whole these days.  Whether it's the HEB employees or other shoppers, I'm constantly judging the shit out of the morons taking up a whole aisle, leaving their cart in the way to go look for something else, etc.  Heads up asses everywhere.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

10 minutes ago, Mittens said:

You're not wrong there, but the overall concept of limiting one's impact on others in public situations is lost on society as a whole these days.  Whether it's the HEB employees or other shoppers, I'm constantly judging the shit out of the morons taking up a whole aisle, leaving their cart in the way to go look for something else, etc.  Heads up asses everywhere.

I'll tell you, that's not the worst site motto I've seen. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Some real get off my lawn vibes here but I agree. The curbside checkers with their big blue carts play completely oblivious to actual shoppers. They park that stupid piece of shit in the middle of the aisle while they’re walking around scanning things.

12 hours ago, deft said:

Some real get off my lawn vibes here but I agree. The curbside checkers with their big blue carts play completely oblivious to actual shoppers. They park that stupid piece of shit in the middle of the aisle while they’re walking around scanning things.

Yep.   And if the store doesn’t have wide aisles, the harder it is to get around those things.  It drives me nuts.  

Both my sons work at the Far West HEB.  The older one is almost exclusively a curbside picker.  Those people try hard to defer to customers in the aisles, but ultimately they're just doing what they're told to do.  Blame corporate, not the workers.

Every HEB employee is judged on efficiency metrics.  My younger son is mostly a cashier or a cart wrangler.  Cashiers are expected to average 29 items per minute.  It's possible, but believe it or not, some cash registers (not cashiers, the actual equipment) are slower than others.  He meets the standard, barely, but he's only been doing it a couple of months.  On the other hand, wrangling carts could be done by anyone with almost zero training.  The fact that he's super fit from being a 90-minute per game soccer fullback actually hurts him, because he's fast and has more endurance than most, so they stick him out there more than is fair.  It's not so bad now, but in early August it sucked big time.

He's looking for a job on campus.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

We've gotten to where we'll order all the bulk items not named meat and fresh veggies for the Sunday night 9PM pickup.  Then I go on Monday mornings and snag all the meat they cut and didn't sell on Sunday for 25% off.  

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Those people try hard to defer to customers in the aisles, but ultimately they're just doing what they're told to do.  Blame corporate, not the workers.

Your kid might be trying hard to defer to customers, but the rest of "those people" damn sure aren't.  Agree that HEB needs to do better on training.  I've seen a massive drop in quality of work over the past couple of years.  Been shopping at the same store for 25 years and made my first complaint to a manager within the last year.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Your kid might be trying hard to defer to customers, but the rest of "those people" damn sure aren't.  Agree that HEB needs to do better on training.  I've seen a massive drop in quality of work over the past couple of years.  Been shopping at the same store for 25 years and made my first complaint to a manager within the last year.

• Haha 3

I don't care for the curbside carts either.  But, as stated above, the trade-off is 15-20 people/families shopping.  I dislike idiot shoppers and dumbass kids more than inconvenient carts.

If there is a curbside cart or multiple shoppers in an aisle, I'll park my cart on the end and go grab my item.  Guerilla shopping, really.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Both my sons work at the Far West HEB.  The older one is almost exclusively a curbside picker.  Those people try hard to defer to customers in the aisles, but ultimately they're just doing what they're told to do.  Blame corporate, not the workers.
Every HEB employee is judged on efficiency metrics.  My younger son is mostly a cashier or a cart wrangler.  Cashiers are expected to average 29 items per minute.  It's possible, but believe it or not, some cash registers (not cashiers, the actual equipment) are slower than others.  He meets the standard, barely, but he's only been doing it a couple of months.  On the other hand, wrangling carts could be done by anyone with almost zero training.  The fact that he's super fit from being a 90-minute per game soccer fullback actually hurts him, because he's fast and has more endurance than most, so they stick him out there more than is fair.  It's not so bad now, but in early August it sucked big time.
He's looking for a job on campus.

29 IPMs?! Those are rookie numbers. Gotta pump those up. I was doing 29 ipms the first week out of checker training in Waco 25 years ago. Real OGs remember the bagging metric “8 in 98”. There was a sticker of an 8ball on every bag rack that year for getting at least 8 items per flimsy ass plastic sack.
  • Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, deft said:

Real OGs remember the bagging metric “8 in 98”. There was a sticker of an 8ball on every bag rack that year for getting at least 8 items per flimsy ass plastic sack.

That touches on a pet peeve I have about curbside at my local HEB except it's the opposite direction. They only put 1-3 items in every plastic bag and the average is closer to 1 than it is to 3. It's a complete waste. 

• Rage+1 2

11 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

We've gotten to where we'll order all the bulk items not named meat and fresh veggies for the Sunday night 9PM pickup.  Then I go on Monday mornings and snag all the meat they cut and didn't sell on Sunday for 25% off.  

How does that work?  You have to go ask at the meat counter or do they put the discount meat out somewhere?

On 9/19/2023 at 8:13 AM, jimmyjazz said:

Every HEB employee is judged on efficiency metrics.  My younger son is mostly a cashier or a cart wrangler.  Cashiers are expected to average 29 items per minute.  It's possible, but believe it or not, some cash registers (not cashiers, the actual equipment) are slower than others. 

I was a checker for a year in college. I remember breaking 50+ items per minute a few times.  You knew it was gonna be a good day when a SNAP benefits mom came through with 4 cases of Similac cans.  Dozens of cans of one thing would do wonders for your averages.   For years I would occasionally wake up exhausted because I would hear that scanning beep in my dreams.

Read this in the paper this morning and thought of this discussion about the hordes of employees at H-E-B:

H-E-B since 2022

The San Antonio-based grocer, which also operates six Central Market stores in North Texas, opened two H-E-B stores last year in Frisco and Plano. The Allen opening next month will follow the June opening of its McKinney store.

H-E-B is planning four stores next year and four more in 2025, getting to an even dozen in four years. The list of 2024 and 2025 stores includes H-E-B’s value price format, Joe V’s Smart Shop, which will be located in southern Dallas.

For Rockwall, a new store represents more jobs in a city mostly with residents who commute to other cities to work, said Rockwall Mayor Trace Johannesen. H-E-B has hired more than 700 people to operate each of its new local stores, which is more than twice the staff size of an average supermarket or a Walmart Supercenter.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

How does that work?  You have to go ask at the meat counter or do they put the discount meat out somewhere?

Well, they cut a certain amount of meats to sell over the weekend.  If it's not all sold by Sunday, they'll mark some of it down because they have to cut more on Monday.  They do this at Sam's as well.  

I'll routinely hit both and scoop up ground beef, bone in pork chops, and Prime Ribeyes at Sam's that are marked down 25-33% so they can move product.   Monday is the best morning to do it.  Don't tell everyone.  

57 minutes ago, Trey3216 said:

Well, they cut a certain amount of meats to sell over the weekend.  If it's not all sold by Sunday, they'll mark some of it down because they have to cut more on Monday.  They do this at Sam's as well.  

I'll routinely hit both and scoop up ground beef, bone in pork chops, and Prime Ribeyes at Sam's that are marked down 25-33% so they can move product.   Monday is the best morning to do it.  Don't tell everyone.  

This is the 4D Chess hack.

Also, go to the location where it's minority majority Indians who are 50/50 vegetarian (like in West Plano) and there is even more beef availability unsold from the weekend, I've noticed.

Edited by KCMasterpieceof
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Ah ok.  Thought you were specifically referencing HEB which confused me because they re-purpose most of their unused cuts I think.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to HEB around midnight to get some breakfast for in the morning. It was closed AF! 
Went to the Wal Mart across the stree. It was closed AF!
Drove about 5 miles to the bigass super Wal Mart and it was closed AF, too!
WTF is this closin' shit everywhere? When that that happen?
Dogs and cats living together and shit...

8 hours ago, DougO said:

Went to HEB around midnight to get some breakfast for in the morning. It was closed AF! 
Went to the Wal Mart across the stree. It was closed AF!
Drove about 5 miles to the bigass super Wal Mart and it was closed AF, too!
WTF is this closin' shit everywhere? When that that happen?
Dogs and cats living together and shit...

We had a similar issue a couple weeks ago after a concert.  Wanted to go to Kerby Lane - closed.  Jim's - closed.  IHOP - closed.  All of these places used to be open 24/7.