Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Maybe.  One of our go-to preferences is tostadas, with just beans & cheese & jalapenos heated on tortillas in the oven.  They're too runny for that, they get all over the sheet pan.  So, either way, I need to pre-cook.  Plus, I like a roux, because butter.

Butter is awesome, frenchie.

But for messicans, pig fat rules.

And yeah, love the simple tostada dinner like that.   Still, I always pre-heated my beans in a pan before applying, because if I don't, the cheese gets all melted before the beans really get warmed through.

Goddammit, now I want like 27 tostadas.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

Plus plus, dirt cheap.

Yep.  When I was feeding a growing teenage boy, who also happens to count bean and cheese tacos and bean and cheese tostadas among his favorite foods, they were a godsend.  I could shovel food into him till he was stuffed, and the total cost for him was like $2.50.

There's a reason poor mexicans eat a lotta beans.  A social distinction my dad was quite self-conscious about for years -- first time my mother served dinner of beans and cornbread, he asked "where's the meat?  Just beans is what the poor folks eat."  Mind you, at the time, THEY FUCKING WERE POOR FOLKS, but the old man had to keep up appearances.  Cut to the end of the story: to get rid of an abundance of beans that my old man wouldn't eat, my mother tried to flush an entire pot of pinto beans down the toilet.  They backed up the whole system in their dinky apartment, and when dad got home the next day, there were beans bubbling up in the bathtub and my mom was crying and apologizing.

We think its hysterical now.  I don't think she did at the time.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Also, I don't know how gringo-ish this opinion is, but these particular jalapenos are delicious.  Not vert spicy, though.  

La Costena Pickled Jalapeno Slices, 15.5 Oz Jar

Those are usually in my fridge.  Another good option (which HEB often has) is the Louisiana brand:

71kO3Trh7LL.jpg

Oh, and when you're done, don't toss that peppery vinegar/brine out.  Add a bit of salt to it, and grab a can of hardboiled quail eggs from the asian supermarket (or again, HEB actually often has them).  Drain, dump them into the jalapeno jar.  Let them soak up the goodness for a couple of weeks.  Then pop 'em like candy while drinking beer.  And then deal with your wife telling you "goddammit, why do you do that? I'm gonna make you sleep in the goddamned guestroom if you can't stop stinking up the bed."

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Okie State said:
4 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:
H‑E‑B is expensive, imo

Noticeably cheaper than Randall's or Kroger though.

Not on everything.  I can almost always get random dairy less expensive at Randall's.  Sometimes meat.  Never produce.  HEB kills it on produce.

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not on everything.  I can almost always get random dairy less expensive at Randall's.  Sometimes meat.  Never produce.  HEB kills it on produce.

One thing that I didnt pay much attention to until recently is the HEB app. They will occasionally run deals for $10 off your basket when you buy $50 worth of shit, etc.. Its not automatic, you have to claim the coupon and scan it at checkout, but those kind of discounts make your entire purchase 20% cheaper. I'm about a block away from the Hancock HEB, so I usually stop in several times a week rather than one big trip every week or two. I'm now in the habit of checking the app before I go, just to see what deals are on there. You can get some pretty good savings occasionally.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Blotto said:

One thing that I didnt pay much attention to until recently is the HEB app. They will occasionally run deals for $10 off your basket when you buy $50 worth of shit, etc.. Its not automatic, you have to claim the coupon and scan it at checkout, but those kind of discounts make your entire purchase 20% cheaper. I'm about a block away from the Hancock HEB, so I usually stop in several times a week rather than one big trip every week or two. I'm now in the habit of checking the app before I go, just to see what deals are on there. You can get some pretty good savings occasionally.  

Yeah, I use their app religiously.  I can't stand paying more for food than I need to.

On 4/8/2023 at 8:21 PM, tx 3 putt said:

fresh jalapeños on a pizza, are they way 

Fried banana pepper and red onion with pepperoni is the best pizza you'll ever have.  Only problem is, no one has fried banana peppers....but I have them at home from my garden.  

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

we talking "deep fried" like an onion ring? I have yet to encounter such wizardry on a pizza

No… we’re talking pan-fried in olive oil with a little garlic and then canned.   

it’s also the best thing for your charcuterie board    

2E8FF61E-A5F2-459F-AD7D-402B89D9BAB1.jpeg

11E66C0C-4B56-4075-97CB-AD91FD518EA2.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Herbie Hancock said:

afdf308c653ca527f57b793c90dadcd8.jpg
These are finominle. Put them on the smoker at 225 degrees for 60 minutes then another 30 minutes turned down to 200. Highly recommend. One package has 4 leg quarters and is around $4 per package.

You better cook the shit out of that stuff.  I have it on solid authority that they only season up shit that way when it is headed way over the "sell buy" date.

• Hook 'Em 1

You better cook the shit out of that stuff.  I have it on solid authority that they only season up shit that way when it is headed way over the "sell buy" date.

That may be but they come into the store already seasoned and packaged like that. It’s not a market employee pulling almost expired chickens out of existing packaging, coating it, and then repackaging it.

The deli does use unsold roti chickens to make chicken salad and cold pulled chicken which is why you usually get such a short date on those.
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I'd have to be legitimately out of options to spend money on Hill Country Fare brand anything. Except for the hot dogs I use to hide my dog's medicine, maybe. 

I get the HCF extra thick cut bacon.  If you pick up a package of it and Wright Brand, I highly doubt you could tell the difference in look or taste.  And it's like $3 cheaper.  

That is...when I don't buy a 30lb box of Wright Brand from a local restaurant buddy of mine at their cost.  I can get one of those bitches for like $105-115.  

• Hook 'Em 1