Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

So how did the chicken oysters turn out?  I've walked by them a hundred times at CM with some level of intrigue, but never made a purchase.

I dredged them in a Cajun seasoning and did half in flour and half in a corn meal mix. They were very good. The flour were a bit superior to the corn meal. It was quick and fast since there’s basically no prep work and they cook in like 90 seconds. Since this was my only time frying something in the past 5 years, I probably won’t do it again. Cleaning up afterwards reminded me why I don’t deep fry at all. If i had a deep fryer, they’d probably get a regular rotation.
  • Hook 'Em 2

On 6/16/2023 at 3:15 PM, Texzilla58 said:

Have you actually been to a publix? Its on par with kroger/safeway nowhere near what HEB offers, not only in terms of instate products but quality. There is only one grocery chain I know of that can compete with HEB and I'll duck and say its better then HEB simply due to their deli/hot food/prepared food and its Wegmans. Wegmans kicks ass

Edited by Smax
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 2/5/2023 at 8:02 PM, elfenix said:

HEB completely out of srirachi/sambal/chili garlic sauce/etc

Still fucked. 

Last summer, Uyen Le, owner and chef at Be U Vietnamese Street Food in East Hollywood, was scraping out her Sriracha bottles and trying to ration her supply. Huy Fong Foods had announced a shortage of the red chile peppers it uses to make the sauce, and the world was taking notice.

One of her employees suggested asking the public for help. Be U offered free meals in exchange for Huy Fong Sriracha sauce, and it got around 300 bottles during the promotion. A year later, the restaurant still has about 100 bottles left.

"I was always aware of supply chain issues related to climate change, and I understood that it's something you have to adapt to. It's the reality we have to live with," Le said. "When we heard about the last shortage, we stocked up. I was like, 'Oh my goodness, is this too much?' But it turned out to be prescient."

Now, heading into another summer, the world is a little more bland as the makers of the famous Sriracha hot sauce, with its iconic green cap and the rooster on the bottle, say they still don't know when their supply will bounce back.

In the Bay Area, some desperate Sriracha lovers have taken to swiping bottles from Filipino restaurant chain Señor Sisig, SFGate reported. A single 28-ounce bottle was listed for $29.99 at an Asian grocery in Oakland this month, with a limit of two per customer.

At 168 Market in Alhambra, dozens of imitation Huy Fong Sriracha bottles line the shelves, but the section reserved for Huy Fong Foods bottles is empty. A market manager said the hot sauce sells out within a day when the store gets a shipment, and customers are limited to one bottle.

“A lot of people call looking for the Sriracha sauce,” said the manager, who did not give his name. “Everyone is acting polite. But we know that people want it all the time. It's been this way for several months.”

The situation is no better online, where virtually all Sriracha options are out of stock on Amazon. At one point, a two-pack of 17-ounce bottles was listed for over $160.

Full article

Yeah. I looked into the Sriracha thing few months ago. I’ve visited all the Asian markets and grocery stores here in Houston, no one has Huy Fong. I’ve tried several replacement brands and they all fucking suck. Some combination of poor flavor, to water/bad texture. Feels like it’s never coming back, it’s been close to 2 years now?

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah. I looked into the Sriracha thing few months ago. I’ve visited all the Asian markets and grocery stores here in Houston, no one has Huy Fong. I’ve tried several replacement brands and they all fucking suck. Some combination of poor flavor, to water/bad texture. Feels like it’s never coming back, it’s been close to 2 years now?

evidently some "crop failure" last year and then ongoing drought in Mexico (where the peppers are grown i guess?) is impacting the size of this year's crop and manufacturing

can't imagine it goes away forever, especially with the fact no one has displaced it

Edited by NoName

4 minutes ago, NoName said:

evidently some "crop failure" last year and then ongoing drought in Mexico (where the peppers are grown i guess?) is impacting the size of this year's crop and manufacturing

can't imagine it goes away forever, especially with the fact no one has displaced it

Yeah, but the weird thing to me is this shortage...I can buy red jalapenos right now at HEB. So, uh, why aren't they buying more? It's just weird. All these other brands are apparently finding red jalapenos. 

57 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Yeah, but the weird thing to me is this shortage...I can buy red jalapenos right now at HEB. So, uh, why aren't they buying more? It's just weird. All these other brands are apparently finding red jalapenos. 

Read online that Huy Fong breached contract in late 2016 and then sued the small California grower that had supplied them for decades, almost forcing the grower out of business. They were looking to quick switch to cheaper Mexican sources and hire the grower's COO in the process to run it. The California grower countersued and was awarded $23M in damages.  California growers apparently united in blackballing Huy Fong adding to their supply crunch when their Mexico sources got wiped out by drought.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Read online that Huy Fong breached contract in late 2016 and then sued the small California grower that had supplied them for decades, almost forcing the grower out of business. They were looking to quick switch to cheaper Mexican sources and hire the grower's COO in the process to run it. The California grower countersued and was awarded $23M in damages.  California growers apparently united in blackballing Huy Fong adding to their supply crunch when their Mexico sources got wiped out by drought.

Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Well, that explains it. Damn, that sucks balls for us, but sounds like they got what they fucking deserved. 

1 hour ago, Texzilla58 said:

https://h5.newsbreakapp.com/mp/0n8cmXva?cv=23.24.0.40&platform=0

A wtf product. With all that is wrong on earth, do we need Pepsi Colachup? Obviously demanded by our soon to be alien masters.

So 1 day only, not available at HEB, or anywhere close to Texas. Thanks for the heads up on something I'll never encounter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

18 hours ago, Texzilla58 said:

It’s a launch to start normalizing folks to the idea of Colachup. This is a global company about to shove this on us.

Thanks for giving us the scoop on a product that nobody wants, isn't made by HEB or sold at HEB in the "Shit HEB Makes" thread

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3
  • Haha 4

18 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Try getting any strawberry.  No joy.  

this is why i get plain - i can mix in whatever fruit, drizzle some honey on it, dump some cereal on it, use it in place of sour cream, etc.  and the little cups essentially last forever in the back of the fridge (it's already spoiled milk, it's not going to spoil again)

• Hook 'Em 1

HEB had the Hatch Chile bacon this weekend, i swore off cooking these HEB small batch bacons because the pepper just burned last time i tried this - but i forgot and made it anyway...probably the best bacon i have ever made. thick cut, perfectly cooked in the over, great flavor.

damn it was perfect.

image.png.b4a5e545b5456d1098178a628d46f3a1.png

• Like 2
  • Drool 1

55 minutes ago, NoName said:

HEB had the Hatch Chile bacon this weekend, i swore off cooking these HEB small batch bacons because the pepper just burned last time i tried this - but i forgot and made it anyway...probably the best bacon i have ever made. thick cut, perfectly cooked in the over, great flavor.

damn it was perfect.

Thanks for the heads up

Run Away GIF

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, NoName said:

to be clear, it still burned just not as bad that it wasted a whole jelly roll pan full.

My favorite bacon by far...years ago they would clearance at end of season for like $2 a package. Unfortunately people discovered it and now it is hard to get a regular $$$$

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, NoName said:

damn it was perfect.

Napoleon Dynamite Want GIF