Shit HEB Makes (when its open).

DougO

16 hours ago, Mitch Cumsteen said:

Mi Tienda beans are definitely the best tasting store bought I've ever had, but I do find them a little runny. Also... they have a short expiration date typically which isn't a big deal but I would stock up on them otherwise. 

Has anyone tried freezing them?

I love that apology.  It's going in the rotation.

Speaking of parents, my dad was essentially the photo you saw in the dictionary under "earnest".  The dude hated any kind of obfuscation or inefficiency.  (Engineering prof.)  It drove him nuts that our bags of Purina dog food came with two coupons for a discount on  your next bag.  I'm sure you can see where this is going -- it's the opposite of the "cut your step size in half, how long does it take to reach the wall?"  He laid out the math on how one would soon be swimming in extra coupons because they couldn't be used at the rate they were being accrued.  My suggestion was "give the extras to friends" but that didn't work for him, they'd soon be swimming in coupons, too.

Edited by jimmyjazz

23 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

For refrieds, we go with the La Sierra brand in the can (they’re real deal messican). Pro-tip: melt about a tsp of bacon grease in the pan before you add them.
And…funny story about La Sierra. Quite a few years back, my dad is out of town on business. Mom decides to make one her favorite easy dinners for herself: open a can of La Sierra black beans, add some sliced sausage and veggies, make a little black bean soup. She opens the can of black beans….and inside are pintos. It was mislabeled. My mother being who she was, actually jotted down a letter to the company: I really like your product, I was disappointed, etc.

Like two weeks later, a delivery shows up. A case of La Sierra black beans, and a letter from the company, obviously written by someone for whom English was a second language. But the best was the perfect Mexican cultural apology at the end. “We are sorry. These things sometimes happen, and this time, it happened to you.”
That is now a regular family expression of sympathy for us when shit just goes south.

That's how you customer service, amazing more companies can't seem to grasp it.  We had a similar interaction with Delta's tamales, had a shipment get sent to us that, no fault to them, went bad(weather?), wife contacted them and we received another shipment at no cost to us.  

• 2 weeks later...

My HEB at William Cannon and Brodie is reorganizing their shelves AGAIN and I want to burn the whole fucking thing to the ground. Just when you finally memorize where all your shit is located they fucking move everything around and it takes twice as long to do your shopping. Rage-inducing.

On 3/24/2023 at 8:53 AM, South Austin said:

Does Mi Tienda make black refried beans? My kids love that whenever it’s served at a Tex Mex joint.

They used to. And they were awesome. But they haven't made them in like 5 years. 

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

My HEB at William Cannon and Brodie is reorganizing their shelves AGAIN and I want to burn the whole fucking thing to the ground. Just when you finally memorize where all your shit is located they fucking move everything around and it takes twice as long to do your shopping. Rage-inducing.

Do you use their app?  You can create a grocery list and it will organize by section/aisle.  There's also an in-store map function.  Helps relieve the retail rage.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

Just when you finally memorize where all your shit is located they fucking move everything around and it takes twice as long to do your shopping.

That’s exactly why they do it. Break your routine, make you look at products you don’t normally see, and maybe you’ll spend more. I hate that.

22 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Do you use their app?  You can create a grocery list and it will organize by section/aisle.  There's also an in-store map function.  Helps relieve the retail rage.

The app saves me so much time. My wife makes the grocery list in our house and I do the shopping. Having everything organized with directions makes shopping quick and also cuts down on impulse items.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, royiv said:

The app saves me so much time. My wife makes the grocery list in our house and I do the shopping. Having everything organized with directions makes shopping quick and also cuts down on impulse items.

My only rage-ey moments are when (off map) the app will tell me to locate something "on the right side of the dairy aisle" or some such.  Right side if I'm facing which way?  Dumbasses.

39 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

They used to. And they were awesome. But they haven't made them in like 5 years. 

Must be on a timed cycle, mine is getting re-organized as well. 

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Must be on a timed cycle, mine is getting re-organized as well. 

My HEB (Burnet & Koenig) went through a re-org 2-3 years ago, but it was much needed, and it coincided with a lot better products getting on the shelves. 

The one on Braker is going through it now, but mostly due to an expansion since it's moving into the adjacent space that was occupied by Brick Oven.

16 minutes ago, DoobieWah said:

Orientation is always as if you just entered the store and are standing in the doorway. 

Always. 

HTH. 

Reminds me of a debate I had with my BIL about 10 years ago while we were swimming at my in-laws house.  His little boy jumped off the diving board over my BIL's head and spun clockwise.  I don't even remember how the term "clockwise" got brought up, but my BIL proceeded to insist that the spin was counterclockwise because from his POV it was counterclockwise.  Basically his argument is there is no clockwise or counterclockwise because everything is dependent on POV.  I asked him if he stands behind a clock, does that mean the hands actually move counterclockwise.  "yes".  So the Earth's rotation of clockwise vs counterclockwise is dependent on if you're looking at it from the North Pole or South pole?  Yes.  this went on for AT LEAST 15 minutes.  At the end, I was like

Doc Rivers GIF by SB Nation

One of us brings it up as a joke every couple of years, and the debate starts all over again for about 1 minute, then the rest of the family yells at us to shut up.  Good times.

• Haha 2

This could be good. Team clockwise/counter-clockwise absolutely depends on the point of view.

The terms clockwise and counterclockwise can only be applied to a rotational motion once a side of the rotational plane is specified, from which the rotation is observed. For example, the daily rotation of the Earth is clockwise when viewed from above the South Pole, and counterclockwise when viewed from above the North Pole (considering "above a point" to be defined as "farther away from the center of earth and on the same ray").

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, PantsTent said:

This could be good. Team clockwise/counter-clockwise absolutely depends on the point of view.

The terms clockwise and counterclockwise can only be applied to a rotational motion once a side of the rotational plane is specified, from which the rotation is observed. For example, the daily rotation of the Earth is clockwise when viewed from above the South Pole, and counterclockwise when viewed from above the North Pole (considering "above a point" to be defined as "farther away from the center of earth and on the same ray").

You sure about that? 

19 hours ago, irishtexan said:

Did they secretly sell part of the company to a private equity firm from  Chicago who has screwed up another Texas brand?  

45 minutes ago, ztejas said:

You sure about that? 

No different than left and right which depends on the point of view.  The "clock" part of the word is just using something we are all familiar with, just like we all know which is left or right when facing forward.

OK, last I'll say, is any direction is dependent upon an agreed coordinate system.  In the case of rotation, the + z-axis is coming out of the clock toward the person looking at the clock.  That's the baseline for clockwise/counter-clockwise.  For somebody standing and spinning, we've pretty much all agreed the z-axis is up.  So for @Wiler77 standing to the side of the jumper, he is assuming up for z-axis, but for the BIL looking up from the pool he is assuming facing him is the z-axis.  No agreed coordinate system...no agreed direction.

Let's say one person was on each side of the pool and the kid did a front flip.  I would hope that both would agree it was a clockwise rotation for one and counter for the other if both assumed the z-axis was facing them.

On 3/25/2023 at 10:34 AM, Brisketexan said:

For refrieds, we go with the La Sierra brand in the can (they’re real deal messican). Pro-tip: melt about a tsp of bacon grease in the pan before you add them.
And…funny story about La Sierra. Quite a few years back, my dad is out of town on business. Mom decides to make one her favorite easy dinners for herself: open a can of La Sierra black beans, add some sliced sausage and veggies, make a little black bean soup. She opens the can of black beans….and inside are pintos. It was mislabeled. My mother being who she was, actually jotted down a letter to the company: I really like your product, I was disappointed, etc.

Like two weeks later, a delivery shows up. A case of La Sierra black beans, and a letter from the company, obviously written by someone for whom English was a second language. But the best was the perfect Mexican cultural apology at the end. “We are sorry. These things sometimes happen, and this time, it happened to you.”
That is now a regular family expression of sympathy for us when shit just goes south.

Team La Sierra.  We always have at least one can in the pantry, makes for good and easy breakfast tacos, tostadas, or naoch.

On 4/5/2023 at 3:07 PM, jimmyjazz said:

My only rage-ey moments are when (off map) the app will tell me to locate something "on the right side of the dairy aisle" or some such.  Right side if I'm facing which way?  Dumbasses.

I’ve never used the app but Home Depot has a great system for that, telling you the aisle and the exact bay on that aisle, with every bay being marked in store.  

• Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

One has chorizo, one doesn't.  I prefer the plain, most prefer the chorizo version.

Yeah, I like the plain.  Half a half bag in the fridge right now (just two of us in the house now).  Again, you just melt some bacon grease in the pan, squeeze the beans in to heat, add a dash of salt.  Shit, they're a meal.  And while the chorizo version is good, I'm a traditionalist.

FTR, the best refrieds in this town are at Juan in a Million.  They are the real deal, with lard.  They taste like the beans I grew up eating in little dinky mexican towns and such.  I almost always order an extra side of them.

FTR, the best refrieds in this town are at Juan in a Million.  They are the real deal, with lard.  They taste like the beans I grew up eating in little dinky mexican towns and such.  I almost always order an extra side of them.

I go to JIAM specifically for the beans.

I never thought of getting a double side of them.

giphy.gif

27 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm gonna try adding either a small amount of roux or maybe a corn starch slurry to the Mi Tienda beans just to see if I can thicken them up a bit.  They're pretty runny.

Just heat them on med-high heat for 5 mins or so.  Cooks off some of the water, thickens them up.  Easier than jacking with them with a roux or whatnot.

Bacon grease.  Squeeze in beans.  Simmer till the right consistency.  Salt.  Eat.  Fart.  Be happy.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Just heat them on med-high heat for 5 mins or so.  Cooks off some of the water, thickens them up. 

Maybe.  One of our go-to preferences is tostadas, with just beans & cheese & jalapenos heated on tortillas in the oven.  They're too runny for that, they get all over the sheet pan.  So, either way, I need to pre-cook.  Plus, I like a roux, because butter.