Best Fried Chicken

Both Tacos

12 hours ago, SimonBolivar said:

Brookshire's fried chicken was a we just left church get in the car we're going to driving meal two or three times a year.

There's a Brookshire's on the other side of the lake (Canyon Lake) near the marina where I put my boat in.  I always stop and get a box of their yardbird.  Solid stuff.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

Well, you’re single so there’s no reason for you to ever have to go to Round Top. 😆

My wife dragged me there earlier this spring.  Holy smokes, that was a beating.

• Rage+1 1

35 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

My wife's cousins have a booth up there, so she goes to visit them occasionally and I've never once had to make the trip.  She only comes home with a couple of useless items every now and then, so I count myself lucky. 

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

T22 is solid if you want that Nashville hot chicken thing. I usually get Dang Hot. Anything beyond that and the heat overpowers the flavor, in my opinion.

Yup I like T22 and dang hot is plenty.  I'm not 22 anymore, I don't need to attempt to make the Wall at Plucker's or anything.

11 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I had the 1/4 dark at T22 last night.  Honestly, it was pretty good.  I got "Hot" seasoning, which is basically one step above "milquetoast".  It was hot enough for me.

Their fries suck, though.  Should've gotten double mac'n'cheese.

2 hours ago, South Austin said:

T22 is solid if you want that Nashville hot chicken thing. I usually get Dang Hot. Anything beyond that and the heat overpowers the flavor, in my opinion.

T22 has really good chicken.  I generally get the 1/4 dark without any heat - then its just fried chicken.  I'll add a tender to the wife's order for a bite of hot chicken.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I’ve never been to the show. Only on Sundays with a trailer to haul the shit home. And eat fried chicken. 

Edited by Lat22

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Antiques.

Ah. 

Looking at a map I can see that's the kinda country we're talkin' about.  

Casseroles and other covered dishes too, I'll bet.

Round Top is unique -- the cafe is known for its pies, the town hosts a massive antique show twice a year (I mean MASSIVE), and then there's a Shakespeare study/festival associated with UT that runs year round in one capacity or another.

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Bill Miller is off our list since they closed their Burnet Road location.  I mean, our older son was their "chicken guy".  He knew their fried chicken inside and out.  Good luck getting him to cook it for us, though.  Something something "finish my degree", blah.

We don't always see eye to eye politically, but big pos rep for you having a son that was the Bill Miller chicken guy!  Hope that he is doing well.

I spent a bunch of time in HS working at Catfish Parlour and I can still put on a righteous catfish fry with all of the trimmings.

Edited by DalTxHornFan

Posted (edited)
On 5/9/2024 at 6:22 PM, SimonBolivar said:

Brookshire's fried chicken was a we just left church get in the car we're going to driving meal two or three times a year.

Brookshire's "Deli's" Fried Chicken Tenders Cut into thirds and put on a plastic platter > Chick Fil A chicken tenders platter

Edited by dcbc

Just saw a blurb on this....and as an OG Houstonian raised there in the 70s and 80s, this hits close to home.  Anyone still hit Timmy Chan's?

348s.jpg

That shit was GOOD.  Of course, when I was a kid, they made full-on fried chicken, not just wings.  I bitterly remember one time, it was a Friday night, and I had a buddy over, my dad was getting in on a flight from working out of town all week.  The plan was that we'd pick up a big-ass box of Timmy Chan's on the way to the airport, pick him up, and then we'd have dinner right when we got home.  We pick up the chicken.  It's the greatest goddamned smell ever, my buddy and I were early teens, so we were hungry as hell.  NO, we cannot have a piece in the car, we will wait until we pick up your dad, he's been working hard all week.

Dad's flight is delayed.  Like two freaking hours.  So we just sit in that car in a parking spot.  That incredible smell wafting all over us.  And we couldn't eat it.  We just got hungrier, and hungrier.

If anyone ever asks me if I've been legit tortured, my answer is FUCK YES I HAVE.  I'd rather be waterboarded than have to sit in a car with delicious Timmy Chan's that I can't touch for three hours.

• Drool 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2024 at 5:42 AM, Cajun said:

There's a little gas station on HWY 46 in between Smithson Valley HS and Bulverde that has amazingly good fried chicken.  I don't mean amazing for a gas station, I mean amazing in the Fried Chicken universe as a whole.  Better than any I've found in San Antonio and that includes the Earl Abel's down by The Pearl.  Reminds me a lot of McCardy's Fried Chicken in NOLA on Broad St (right up there with Willa Mae's imo).

I'll try to get some photo evidence later today.  Gives me an excuse to stop by.

you got those photos yet?  any details on the gas station?  I’ll be around those parts in a couple weeks. 

Edited by futureman

On 5/14/2024 at 5:50 PM, futureman said:

you got those photos yet?  any details on the gas station?  I’ll be around those parts in a couple weeks. 

It's the only gas station between Bulverde & Smithson Valley HS on hwy 46.  It's a Valero.

• Hook 'Em 1