Casey Thompson

Tex Long

On 9/20/2021 at 9:11 AM, Handcruser said:

All I know is this:
When Casey Thompson willed himself in for the TD against 3-4 Arkansas defenders towards the end I thought “ok, that’s it. He should start.”

That energy and grit and determination will spill over to the rest of the team. All he does is get points.

On 9/20/2021 at 9:18 AM, ConferenceRoom said:

He completed 3 more pass than he threw? What a god. 

Points God. 

I'm rolling with it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

And of those 14 TD's - Casey is responsible for 9 of them (7 TD's passing and 2 TD's rushing)

In those 4 games (Colorado, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Rice):

Casey is 32-41 (78%) for 432 yards (10.53ypa), 7 TD's, 1 int with 13 rushes for 68 yards (5.23ypc)

Seems decent, but maybe we should start Charles Wright against Tceh just to be certain the final score differential is less than a TD. -Tom

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

7 hours ago, THUJONE said:

… I'm pretty impressed. And the dude's play shows it. Like calling that TD to Bijan. He knew based on the setup what was going to happen.

This may cause confusion.

This may even make some people’s mind 🤯

But I really think that…

Casey Thompson is LIKE A COACH ON THE FIELD!

😳

(It could even be said that he “brings his lunch pail to work ever day…”)

Edited by Napoleon
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This may cause confusion.

This may even make some people’s mind 🤯

But I really think that…

Casey Thompson is LIKE A COACH ON THE FIELD!

😳

(It could even be said that he “brings his lunch pail to work ever day…”)

you misspelled "Corch"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, gmr548 said:

Has anyone?

Pretty sure CTJ has said, maybe even in this thread, that he had been told Casey was somewhat lax in putting in effort with film and other off season work.  Not sure what time period his reports came from or whether they were accurate.

I will say that it sounds like he has been putting in extra effort in the classroom toward graduating early, so maybe that was related.  Sounds like now though he's only taking 6 hours so he's got time to fully commit to football prep.

The thing I like about Casey is his demeanor.  You could tell he was a lpissed during that Arky game because the whole team was underperforming.  During the Rice game he was very upbeat and was having a good time with his teammates.  I still like Card but I think he’s not emotionally ready to lead the team yet.  Casey is much more comfortable in his own skin and I think the team feeds off of that.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, stork642 said:

The thing I like about Casey is his demeanor.  You could tell he was a lpissed during that Arky game because the whole team was underperforming.  During the Rice game he was very upbeat and was having a good time with his teammates.  I still like Card but I think he’s not emotionally ready to lead the team yet.  Casey is much more comfortable in his own skin and I think the team feeds off of that.  

racist comedy central GIF

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So he was pissed that he wasn’t playing and losing, and upbeat while winning and playing?

This unique shit needs to be done more by this coaching staff.
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

So he was pissed that he wasn’t playing and losing, and upbeat while winning and playing?

This unique shit needs to be done more by this coaching staff.

Haha yeah sorry, my point is Card seems like a robot out there.  I think he’s too worried he may make a mistake and he seems to lack real confidence.  I still think he will be good but he needs to watch and learn for now.  Casey has done that already so naturally he’s more ready at this point.  

Edited by stork642

Card looks like he watched too much film of Buechele being ragdolled as a freshman, and Ehlinger running over dbacks on hero-ball exploits, and sees himself as more like the former. He and his receivers all practice with more confidence than they play with on accounta their "don't hit'em' jerseys make them think they're invulnerable in practice, while in game-time interactions it suddenly becomes clear that opponents' players are trying to mash them flat, or at least cause them severe enough pain. This scares Card, which spreads to the rest of the team, to the point that it doesn't matter how pretty your passes are, they're fucking worthless if you don't throw them to the right place at the right time.

Casey has three or four years of practice and sideline time on Card, and he appears to see practice differently and not give practice 10/10 effort, which leads Sark to prefer the harder-working Card over the much more laid-back Casey. The players seem to have more confidence and better reponse to Casey, too.

And...Casey has outperformed Card on the field, so far. 

So, right now, I'ma ride with Casey, and try not to think what might happen if Casey gets injured... say, against Tceh or TCU...

• Hook 'Em 1

I was on the Card train initially because I felt he had a higher ceiling. Maybe he still does. That being said, it appears that the players are more behind Casey and have more confidence in him. I work in a profession where leadership is critical and that is what I sense in Thompson. The play where he tried to go and lead block for his running back is a perfect example. That was instinctive and speaks to why the team appears to be behind him. There have been a few supervisors I’ve worked for that I would run through a brick wall for because of the level of respect I had for them. I’m hoping that is what Casey brings to the table (especially when it comes to the o line), inspiration and intensity.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, SuckitKevin said:

I was on the Card train initially because I felt he had a higher ceiling. Maybe he still does. That being said, it appears that the players are more behind Casey and have more confidence in him. I work in a profession where leadership is critical and that is what I sense in Thompson. The play where he tried to go and lead block for his running back is a perfect example. That was instinctive and speaks to why the team appears to be behind him. There have been a few supervisors I’ve worked for that I would run through a brick wall for because of the level of respect I had for them. I’m hoping that is what Casey brings to the table (especially when it comes to the o line), inspiration and intensity.

And Casey seems to play with a chip on his shoulder

I don't see what anyone saw in Card.  He falls into that same bucket as Jake Smith where, for unknown reasons, people overvalue their skillset. It's all been on display. Both were above average high school players but neither looked like there was a lot of untapped raw talent left to be developed.  He was never going to be a  top tier QB and Jake was never going to be a top tier receiver.  

I still like Card as a prospect, it’s honestly easy to see why they went with him despite Sark mentioning he dropped his eyes to the rush often. Sark wants the home run ball, it’s a key piece to opening everything up. We’ve all seen it, it’s wide open. Until we can hit that, we have to move the chains and the best guy to do that is Casey

kinda amazing that after 1 game a player is the one to take us to the promise land, and after 1 more game they're overhyped trash. 

this is NOT the gilbert/swoopes/etc situation where we've had sufficient snaps with which to judge definitively.

they might not be tua/jalen pair, but there's a good chance we're gonna need both of them like bama did in 2018.  otherwise we're gonna see charles fucking wright lol

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

I still like Card as a prospect, it’s honestly easy to see why they went with him despite Sark mentioning he dropped his eyes to the rush often. Sark wants the home run ball, it’s a key piece to opening everything up. We’ve all seen it, it’s wide open. Until we can hit that, we have to move the chains and the best guy to do that is Casey

No.  We do not have a "Move the chains" God.  We have a Points God. We are not trying to move the chains. We're trying to score points.

I've gone over this play a bajillion times, and though I think I can see a mix-up on the line,  I'd still say Casey had plenty of time, and the ball should have been out and not double-pumped.
But going back to the OL part, it's hard to know sometimes. One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that Christian Jones was not manhandled. As the play develops, it becomes clear Jones intentionally comes off his man to picks up a blitzer (who looks to be blitzing run, but picks him up nonetheless). The guy blitzing comes up the gap Angilau is supposed to plug on his pull around that's helping to sell the PA. Once Jones shifts to that, Angilau continues down the line, appearing to focus on the guy Jones turned loose. Then the guy who hits Casey loops around from the right and Angilau is left with a choice. He should have probably grabbed the inside guy (who ends up hitting Casey), since his responsibility was inside to begin with. ORRRR, Jones should have never came off of his man, and let Angilau pick up the blitz, as he IS coming around. But it still doesn't solve the fella looping around from the right, and the fact is that guy is coming far too late. Ball could have been out, but also that defensive play was perfectly timed.
It happened, coach it and get it right.

I count playaction as a constraint play to punish defenses for committing to stop a run play, slowing aggression. I cant recall us running counter plays with much efficacy so far this year and not in the game. Why are we even running PA off a counter? Why not run PA off a play that threatens?

I understand there was some analytics that demonstrate that you dont need a credible running threat to successfully run PA. But its still counter intuitive to me. You want defense to take false steps and overcommit numbers, vacate space, especially from the secondary.

What am I missing? Why run PA off a counter in the first place? I think that play gets blown up by any blitz. Practice?
  • Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm gonna assume this means that Casey is the man for the rest of the year. Also, Sarkisian is planning for blowouts if Card is to "play plenty" this year. Let's hope the Coach knows what he is talking about.

um....

20660885?$pdp-gallery-ng$

Edited by Thatguy
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Blackcat00 said:

Going to look back on the ARK game when Casey is tearing teams apart to round out the year. 

He’s going to pick apart that shit ou calls a defense(fuck off. I know ours isn’t anything special but give me this) with a Colorado like performance while Bijan runs all fucking over them

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, UDontKnow said:

I'm gonna assume this means that Casey is the man for the rest of the year. Also, Sarkisian is planning for blowouts if Card is to "play plenty" this year. Let's hope the Coach knows what he is talking about.

Perhaps Sark is not completely sold on Casey yet and he wants to placate the Card family so he doesn't transfer. Card is his prototypical QB, so he is going to keep trying to see if he can develop the way he would like him to.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

2018 redux. Let’s fucking go!

Except when we’re up 45-24 to start the 4th, we’ll fucking finish them off hang 66 on those mother fuckers. Still fucking pissed about the Mack ass rapes we got used to. Time for some mother fucking payback 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

Perhaps Sark is not completely sold on Casey yet and he wants to placate the Card family so he doesn't transfer. Card is his prototypical QB, so he is going to keep trying to see if he can develop the way he would like him to.

Or…if Card shuts it down to preserve the redshirt we’re fucked if an injury happens

• Hook 'Em 3