Casey Thompson

Tex Long

28 minutes ago, Pdawg88 said:

Charles is a great guy, he’s my sons coach on his 7vs7 team. 

Yeah that’s not what I’m talking about.

We sucked in the mid to late 80s and Switzer, OU, and the wishbone were at their peak.

I foolishly thought when OU lost jamelle hollaway and Charles Thompson took over we would have a chance. Nope, he kicked our ass even worse. I cared nothing about his off the field troubles later because by then he had kicked our ass twice and the damage was done.

So Casey must kick OUs ass in the cotton bowl this October and the circle can be complete.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ztejas said:

Man this thread is becoming peak Surly. Love it. Shout out to @BurntOrange&White for spitting facts and @futureman for continuing to effortlessly irritate the gentry en masse.

dude I’m the one “spitting facts.” poor young jimmyjames is a bit of a moron and I was nice enough to explain some things to him. I’m not irritating anyone. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

“oh it’s just a meaningless bowl game”

“oh it’s because Colorado didn’t prepare for him” 

“Oh it was garbage time so the defenses weren’t trying”

”oh it’s just rice”

Always seems to be an excuse to discount him 

"OU didn't wanna be there..." will be the excuse when Casey picks their defense apart. 

On 9/20/2021 at 10:14 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

There isn’t even pressure if Christian Jones doesn’t get completely manhandled 

100% offensive line 

thats 

B4CF449E-F207-49FA-84F7-88B1FBA0B59C.png

I've gone over this play a bajillion times, and though I think I can see a mix-up on the line,  I'd still say Casey had plenty of time, and the ball should have been out and not double-pumped.

But going back to the OL part, it's hard to know sometimes. One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that Christian Jones was not manhandled. As the play develops, it becomes clear Jones intentionally comes off his man to picks up a blitzer (who looks to be blitzing run, but picks him up nonetheless). The guy blitzing comes up the gap Angilau is supposed to plug on his pull around that's helping to sell the PA. Once Jones shifts to that, Angilau continues down the line, appearing to focus on the guy Jones turned loose. Then the guy who hits Casey loops around from the right and Angilau is left with a choice. He should have probably grabbed the inside guy (who ends up hitting Casey), since his responsibility was inside to begin with. ORRRR, Jones should have never came off of his man, and let Angilau pick up the blitz, as he IS coming around. But it still doesn't solve the fella looping around from the right, and the fact is that guy is coming far too late. Ball could have been out, but also that defensive play was perfectly timed.

It happened, coach it and get it right.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Yeah that’s not what I’m talking about.

We sucked in the mid to late 80s and Switzer, OU, and the wishbone were at their peak.

I foolishly thought when OU lost jamelle hollaway and Charles Thompson took over we would have a chance. Nope, he kicked our ass even worse. I cared nothing about his off the field troubles later because by then he had kicked our ass twice and the damage was done.

So Casey must kick OUs ass in the cotton bowl this October and the circle can be complete.

How about this October AND next October?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd still say Casey had plenty of time, and the ball should have been out and not double-pumped.

This is correct.

If Casey had a better rapport with that receiver, he would have launched it a little to the right and let his receiver make a play. 

Like in soccer and occasionally in basketball, you pass into space and let your teammate go get it.

My guess is that this will be covered in the film room and on the practice field this week. 

• Hook 'Em 2

25 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I've gone over this play a bajillion times, and though I think I can see a mix-up on the line,  I'd still say Casey had plenty of time, and the ball should have been out and not double-pumped.

But going back to the OL part, it's hard to know sometimes. One thing I'm absolutely sure of is that Christian Jones was not manhandled. As the play develops, it becomes clear Jones intentionally comes off his man to picks up a blitzer (who looks to be blitzing run, but picks him up nonetheless). The guy blitzing comes up the gap Angilau is supposed to plug on his pull around that's helping to sell the PA. Once Jones shifts to that, Angilau continues down the line, appearing to focus on the guy Jones turned loose. Then the guy who hits Casey loops around from the right and Angilau is left with a choice. He should have probably grabbed the inside guy (who ends up hitting Casey), since his responsibility was inside to begin with. ORRRR, Jones should have never came off of his man, and let Angilau pick up the blitz, as he IS coming around. But it still doesn't solve the fella looping around from the right, and the fact is that guy is coming far too late. Ball could have been out, but also that defensive play was perfectly timed.

Center and LG block down freeing Junior up to pull and make it look like the same counter we usually run. Jones sees the blitzer and comes off his man to get him. His man pushes him inside, but Jones still manages to essentially trap block the blitzer. Junior blocks the DE Jones was formerly blocking, but the DT Majors was blocking then loops around and hits Casey. We've been watching it in slow motion but in real time this all happened in a hair under 3 seconds. They just brought more bodies to the left side then we could handle.

not to start this again. I thought the error was with Okafor and Majors. Rice looks to be running a twist being run between the interior DL. Okafor picks up the slant. DL engages Majors and loops. At this point if Okafor passes the DL slanting to Majors, he is free to pick up the looping DL. Jones is slow to pick up the blitz, but I think that was the correct call. That is the only way can see to get a hat on a hat

11 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Center and LG block down freeing Junior up to pull and make it look like the same counter we usually run. Jones sees the blitzer and comes off his man to get him. His man pushes him inside, but Jones still manages to essentially trap block the blitzer. Junior blocks the DE Jones was formerly blocking, but the DT Majors was blocking then loops around and hits Casey. We've been watching it in slow motion but in real time this all happened in a hair under 3 seconds. They just brought more bodies to the left side then we could handle.

its basically a little bit of Angilau not seeing the inside stunter soon enough(and I can see why) and Casey double clutching(can't see why he might have double clutched, had the far safety moved in a manner that made him rethink?).  either of the 2 doesn't happen and I think the play works.

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

This is correct.

If Casey had a better rapport with that receiver, he would have launched it a little to the right and let his receiver make a play. 

Like in soccer and occasionally in basketball, you pass into space and let your teammate go get it.

My guess is that this will be covered in the film room and on the practice field this week. 

we can't see what Casey saw that may have made him double clutch...

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

not to start this again. I thought the error was with Okafor and Majors. Rice looks to be running a twist being run between the interior DL. Okafor picks up the slant. DL engages Majors and loops. At this point if Okafor passes the DL slanting to Majors, he is free to pick up the looping DL. Jones is slow to pick up the blitz, but I think that was the correct call. That is the only way can see to get a hat on a hat

Agreed, also add in that Brewer got bull rushed quickly while basically standing straight up giving Casey no place to step across to buy some type.  If Brewer is lower and handles him better, he's got help on the inside but he was run so quickly the help could be of no help.

35 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

we can't see what Casey saw that may have made him double clutch...

I can NEVER see what the players see when watching a field-level shot, so I agree with you there.

I'm always amazed that anyone under 6'5" can see any receiver down field.

So I will definitely give you that.

• Hook 'Em 2

52 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Okafor and Majors seem to play it correctly, simple down blocks that match up with Angilau's pull. Basically Angilau is pulling into the first hole past guard (Okafor) unless a defender comes off the edge outside of jones, in which Angilau goes to attempt to seal that (most likely?). Jones can come off and get the inside, Bijan can chip the end Jones comes off of. As it goes, Jones ends up crashing the blitzer inside and into Okafor. Had Okafor not been knocked off balance, and Jones blocking the blitzer inside, it's possible Okafor could have come off his guy to at least get a forearm on the looper to slow him down. Then obviously we see Brewer get worked.

BUT, Casey is STILL able to step up, he just takes a half a second too long once he does. In live action he had four seconds before he got popped. I mean even if he's not seeing the play develop off that seam, the left side was clear and bijan would have been open for a check-down. Just the right defensive play called, with just a tick of hesitation on the QB. 

Edited by UncleBuck
  • Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

Okafor and Majors seem to play it correctly, simple down blocks that match up with Angilau's pull. Basically Angilau is pulling into the first hole past guard (Okafor) unless a defender comes off the edge outside of jones, in which Angilau goes to attempt to seal that (most likely?). Jones can come off and get the inside, Bijan can chip the end Jones comes off of. As it goes, Jones ends up crashing the blitzer inside and into Okafor. Had Okafor not been knocked off balance, and Jones blocking the blitzer inside, it's possible Okafor could have come off his guy to at least get a forearm on the looper to slow him down. Then obviously we see Brewer get worked.

BUT, Casey is STILL able to step up, he just takes a half a second too long once he does. In live action he had four seconds before he got popped. I mean even if he's not seeing the play develop off that seam, the left side was clear and bijan would have been open for a check-down. Just the right defensive play called, with just a tick of hesitation on the QB. 

and Angilau not quite seeing the inside rusher soon enough. the outside rusher seemed like he was somewhat playing contain on Casey and wasn't crashing hard.

4 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

and Angilau not quite seeing the inside rusher soon enough. the outside rusher seemed like he was somewhat playing contain on Casey and wasn't crashing hard.

Yah, agree. But I still think that goes along with it just being the right call. Angilau is looking inside and everyone is stuck in traffic, so once the end steps in he makes his decision, then sees the guy coming inside and hesitates before continuing to the end. Things probably go differently there if he chooses the inside guy, no doubt, just not sure if that was his responsibility, as he's probably blocking a zone, and does block the first person into that zone. 

Edited by UncleBuck

20 hours ago, UncleBuck said:

I'd still say Casey had plenty of time, and the ball should have been out and not double-pumped.

This. 100%

I'm not extrapolating this into a larger point, but the ball should have been out. Either that or move your feet and do something else. Double clutching as a defender is about to hit you is why that happened and it's Casey's fault.

Which is fine. QBs make mistakes, even really good ones who are about to go undefeated and win the Big 12 like Casey is about to.

[edit]

Also, throwing into the open space for the receiver isn't even a rapport thing, it's a basic thing you should be assuming a D1 receiver knows even if you've never heard of him before that snap.

Edited by bad_teammate
  • Hook 'Em 4

23 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:Which is fine. QBs make mistakes, even really good ones who are about to go undefeated and win the Big 12 like Casey is about to.

[edit]

Also, throwing into the open space for the receiver isn't even a rapport thing, it's a basic thing you should be assuming a D1 receiver knows even if you've never heard of him before that snap.

This. Esta. 

fuck yeah GIF

Edited by Droopy

58 minutes ago, Longboard Horn said:

“As a graduate student, Texas quarterback Casey Thompson is enrolled in only two online classes this semester.

He was taking five classes at this time last year, so the move to two is a welcome change. Six credit hours are a far cry from 15.

Thompson, however, may be studying more this year than he did last year. That was by design for a fourth-year student who earned his sports management degree in May.

"The reason why I wanted to rush my undergrad process is so whenever I became the guy in Year 4, I'd have more time to watch film and meet with my receivers and also more time to get treatment," Thompson said.”

I am so impressed with his demeanor and the way he has handled this entire situation.  This is the Tom Brady mindset.  To be clear, I am in no way shape or form comparing Casey to Brady.  

Who knows what the future holds as far as his success as QB1 but he is clearly doing everything in his power to be successful. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

57 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Which is fine. QBs make mistakes, even really good ones

That's important to remember here. It's one play out of many, in the dude's first start. It'll be okay, no one's saying he had his chance and to throw Card back out there now.

I called for the switch to Casey, and this one play -though I think it's on him- doesn't make me regret that any.

That's important to remember here. It's one play out of many, in the dude's first start. It'll be okay, no one's saying he had his chance and to throw Card back out there now.

I called for the switch to Casey, and this one play -though I think it's on him- doesn't make me regret that any.

Well that play did happen early in the game and they went on to win 58-0...

11 hours ago, Longboard Horn said:

And of those 14 TD's - Casey is responsible for 9 of them (7 TD's passing and 2 TD's rushing)

In those 4 games (Colorado, Louisiana, Arkansas, and Rice):

Casey is 32-41 (78%) for 432 yards (10.53ypa), 7 TD's, 1 int with 13 rushes for 68 yards (5.23ypc)

Edited by Hiphopopotamos
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1