Casey Thompson

Tex Long

1 minute ago, Starfleet Command said:

It will be very interesting to see how long Sark will stick with Thompson should our offense struggle against them, as it may well might considering the limitations of the line.  

I think part of the reason you stick with Thompson is because of the line's inconsistency.

• Hook 'Em 3

If our offensive line holds up that’s an easy 6 point touchdown as the receiver had 2-3 steps on the defender with no one else back. That was no fault of the QB. 

Casey fan but that wasn’t on the OL, he had time and held on to it too long. It’s been mentioned that he sometimes doesn’t throw with great anticipation and that’s one of them, had two guys even/leaving defenders but was waiting for them to clear entirely. And it wasn’t like the rusher was coming from blindside, it was directly in front of him from 5 yds away and CT double hitched right into it.

3 minutes ago, bluto said:

Casey fan but that wasn’t on the OL, he had time and held on to it too long. It’s been mentioned that he sometimes doesn’t throw with great anticipation and that’s one of them, had two guys even/leaving defenders but was waiting for them to clear entirely. And it wasn’t like the rusher was coming from blindside, it was directly in front of him from 5 yds away and CT double hitched right into it.

You’re right, our entire left side of the line being on the right side definitely didn’t cause that. 

10 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

They’re shit. They’ll finish no better than  5th in the west. Sark fucked up bad. Let’s hope he learned from it

I can see them beating lsu, miss state, mizzou, aggy(hopefully) and give Auburn some fits. Shit they may even hold their own against ole miss. Fuck it. Conference play starts this weekend. Let’s fuck this shitty conference up (with Karic starting plz)

• Hook 'Em 1

Look it's fairly obvious now that Casey has more poise, confidence and is better at managing the game than Card at this point.  But, Sark was evaluating these guys from practice and a Spring Game.  It was reported to be a very close call and an extremely tough decision.  Sark supposedly went with Card based on his ability to go through his progressions faster, which enabled him to get the ball out quicker and his ability to make accurate throws on the move when things broke down.  Card just isn't there yet mentally, might never be, who knows.

It's clear now Casey is the starter, but even after the UL game it looked like Card was going to be the guy.  You can make the argument that Sark should have pulled Card earlier in the Arkansas game and he probably should have, but I think he was trying to see if Card had settled down after halftime.

Posters claiming Sark made a monumental blunder by going with Card is just fucking stupid. But overreaction is what we do, so carry on I guess...

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

There isn’t even pressure if Christian Jones doesn’t get completely manhandled 

100% offensive line 

thats 

B4CF449E-F207-49FA-84F7-88B1FBA0B59C.png

This is not an either or situation. i love that you used this. It funny that you missed the:

Obviously the QB would ideally feel that pressure coming, I'm sure Casey was eager to prove he'll hang in to deliver the deep shots.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

I was more in favor of Thompson from the start, but the decision to go with Card was solid based on the limited performance the HC saw personally, and the requirements of the full offensive playbook. Also, if he was ready, it should have been Card given the big arm and the prospect of stability with a multi season starter. What I hope for is a Hudson Card rebirth after Thompson moves on. Maybe spending time on the sideline watching game speed college football will benefit him. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Fletch said:

Just guessing but poised in the pocket, knows when to tuck it and run and check down, keeps his cool, doesn’t get rattled(so far) and is more aggressive than Card fitting the ball into a window(as of right now)

Sure. But it wasn't a post about Thompson's intangibles; it was one saying Card has every QB intangible

The only numbers that mean anything or touchdowns I don’t give a shit if he throws for 400 yards or throws for 4 yards if those 4 yards or four touchdown passes from the 1 yard line A w is a w and if everybody around him wants to win because of him that’s all I need. Some folks are just born leaders they have the it factor and the mentality on the field is what matters

3 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

100% offensive line 

thats 

It's not as simple as that. We tried to run a pass play off of our counter run action. Rice was not fooled at all and they just happened to be blitzing. Their are two guys coming so Casey was getting popped regardless of what Jones did.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Sgt Hulk said:

The only numbers that mean anything or touchdowns I don’t give a shit if he throws for 400 yards or throws for 4 yards if those 4 yards or four touchdown passes from the 1 yard line A w is a w and if everybody around him wants to win because of him that’s all I need. Some folks are just born leaders they have the it factor and the mentality on the field is what matters

What if he throws for 800 yards and they all result in receivers going down at the 1 and then a RB punches it in? That seems better than 4 yards for 4 touchdowns.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

100% offensive line 

thats 

I don’t think you can expect any better blocking from those 5 guys, they brought one more than we had to block and Jones followed his man inside. Casey needs to get rid of that ball because tcu, blOwU, and Iowa state dlineman are going to be in his face much quicker on called blitzes. I’m confident he will adjust and we will be just fine. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, Jkwellborn said:

If he dumps that to the RB, looks like it’s a good pickup. Of course, it’s a td if he doesn’t get hit in the mouth.

I wonder if Robinson had a blocking assignment, saw no one coming and leaked out into the flat. Just as he leaked out the defender came free. And credit to the defender, he somehow made it out of the scrum and looped around and found the gap in the OL. Great effort play.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

100% offensive line 

thats 

image.png.f5b34007f4c26be41188921c31c012e8.png

Based on watching this 5 times and pausing to try to guess where the WR broke free, I think this is the point where you let it fly to the middle of the hashes or slightly to the right since nobody is there except the ref. This is the classic throwing the WR open Sark is talking about and was one of the few mistakes Casey made. If he can stop hesitating and start letting those fly it will do wonders for the offense, and show the ability to be as explosive passing as we were running.

I have no real issue with the QB handling to date. I thought after the spring game that Card had more upside and you should go with the younger player if they are close in competition. After Arkansas, I think this team needs a leader like Thompson at QB. I think his ceiling is lower, but his current floor is a good bit higher. We need his apparent bravado in the huddle right now. Some player has to give this team confidence, and from what I have seen from him, he may be the guy to do it.

Edited by jinx
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

I don’t think you can expect any better blocking from those 5 guys, they brought one more than we had to block and Jones followed his man inside. Casey needs to get rid of that ball because tcu, blOwU, and Iowa state dlineman are going to be in his face much quicker on called blitzes. I’m confident he will adjust and we will be just fine. 

Jones was literally shoved to the interior, but did find work afterward. Casey could have let it go sooner or checked it down to Bijan, but the protection was compromised once Jones was forcefully relocated.

31 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Jones was literally shoved to the interior, but did find work afterward. Casey could have let it go sooner or checked it down to Bijan, but the protection was compromised once Jones was forcefully relocated.

No.

Watch the play 10 more times, if needed. Consider the play design and the blocking scheme.

This might help.

http://smartfootball.com/passing/a-very-wise-coach-once-told-me-if-you-really-want-play-action-you-better-pull-a-guard#sthash.hY5vlWDt.dpbs

That's actually quite a recovery/reach block by Jones.

Couple of things occurred that brole the play:

Defense blitzed the right gap to disrupt the play. Good call from them.

Angilau need to stay more in line with the rest of the oline. He allowed himself to focus too much on the outside defender, overextending, leaving the late emerging inside defender a straight line to Casey.

In general, the line tends to struggle to work as a cohesive unit, in the face of stunting defenders. The defender who hits Casey was Majors to block down on, but he lost track. Maybe it is poorly designed too.

Casey took too long and didn't see the pressure.

Edited by pacman

31 minutes ago, Atticus said:

I was just asking in OL thread on this. I was guessing that the issue was between Okafor and Majors.. The interior DL runs a twist. Okafor chases the slanting DL. The other DL initiates with Major and then loops back to the offenses left side eventually hitting the QB. Jones takes the Blitzer coming where Okafor departed, leaving the DE for Junior. Not sure but that is my guess

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

27 minutes ago, Atticus said:

75 could have taken the inside guy as well. the guy he went after was backing up and outside.  it was an effective stunt against a slower developing play.  If the play is a swing to Bijan as a first look he might house the damn thing.  he's manned up with the DB vacating to cover and our crossing receiver could have blocked his DB.

if Jones doesn't block down his man gets to Casey before the other guy.

I agree that Casey needed to let it fly to the right hash right away but he double clutched. its somewhat a situation where a good play call from the D matched our play and the QB just hesitated and we didn't block it as good as we potentially could have.

9 minutes ago, pacman said:

No.

Watch the play 10 more times, if needed. Consider the play design and the blocking scheme.

This might help.

http://smartfootball.com/passing/a-very-wise-coach-once-told-me-if-you-really-want-play-action-you-better-pull-a-guard#sthash.hY5vlWDt.dpbs

That's actually quite a recovery/reach block by Jones.

Couple of things occurred that brole the play:

Defense blitzed the right gap to disrupt the play. Good call from them.

Angilau need to stay more in line with the rest of the oline. He allowed himself to focus too much on the outside defender, overextending, leaving the late emerging inside defender a straight line to Casey.

Casey took too long and didn't see the pressure.

Watched it 10 more times.

If you just follow Angilau the whole time, you'll see he pulls to the left, and then he gets forced to decide on which of two defenders to block. He picks the outside guy, instead of the inside guy. Perhaps if he chooses inside, the outside guy follows the RB and the play succeeds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Hornlover said:

Watched it 10 more times.

If you just follow Angilau the whole time, you'll see he pulls to the left, and then he gets forced to decide on which of two defenders to block. He picks the outside guy, instead of the inside guy. Perhaps if he chooses inside, the outside guy follows the RB and the play succeeds. 

this.  I don't fault Angilau too much as the stunting DT arrived a little late(kinda got caught in the wash initially) which was actually fortuitous.  If he comes free sooner Angilau probably choses him.

edit: and if the outside guy comes free after Angilau choses inside guy Casey can slide a bit and probably make the throw to the far hash.

Edited by dcar00

6 minutes ago, Fico said:

Never let someone cross your face and always protect inside to out.  Those are rules #1 and #2 for any OL.  

yes.  was going to say look inside, block outside.  the DT arrived a hair late.  In a perfect world the Angilau sees him and doesn't "chase" his outside guy and comes off early enough to shove the DT inside.

The outside guy actually stopped rushing which may have been part of the plan to entice Angilau to open the lane.

Its an interesting play call from the D.

55 minutes ago, jinx said:

image.png.f5b34007f4c26be41188921c31c012e8.png

Based on watching this 5 times and pausing to try to guess where the WR broke free, I think this is the point where you let it fly to the middle of the hashes or slightly to the right since nobody is there except the ref. This is the classic throwing the WR open Sark is talking about and was one of the few mistakes Casey made. If he can stop hesitating and start letting those fly it will do wonders for the offense, and show the ability to be as explosive passing as we were running.

I have no real issue with the QB handling to date. I thought after the spring game that Card had more upside and you should go with the younger player if they are close in competition. After Arkansas, I think this team needs a leader like Thompson at QB. I think his ceiling is lower, but his current floor is a good bit higher. We need his apparent bravado in the huddle right now. Some player has to give this team confidence, and from what I have seen from him, he may be the guy to do it.

This. I think that the OL and Casey made mistakes. Both QBs are going to make mistakes in this offense until they get more comfortable. New system plus both QBs are trying to get comfortable in the role itself. There are going to be head scratchers and wtf plays from time to time.

If these same issues are still occuring at the end of the season then we will know that it's a QB thing and not just a bad OL. Again, mistakes are going to happen and we hope that they learn from them going forward.

17 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I agree that Casey needed to let it fly to the right hash right away but he double clutched. its somewhat a situation where a good play call from the D matched our play and the QB just hesitated and we didn't block it as good as we potentially could have.

All of this, and this should be a play that Casey makes by games 5-6 with less trepidation. Let's hope the OL improves as well.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Droopy said:

This. I think that the OL and Casey made mistakes. Both QBs are going to make mistakes in this offense until they get more comfortable. New system plus both QBs are trying to get comfortable in the role itself. There are going to be head scratchers and wtf plays from time to time.

If these same issues are still occuring at the end of the season then we will know that it's a QB thing and not just a bad OL. Again, mistakes are going to happen and we hope that they learn from them going forward.

All of this, and this should be a play that Casey makes by games 5-6 with less trepidation. Let's hope the OL improves as well.

I view it as either the OL or Casey could have picked each other up but they both barely failed which caused the play to fail miserably.

• Hook 'Em 1