Jump to content

Casey Thompson


Tex Long

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Codaxx said:

QBs were rattled in those 3 games. I am not saying the OL is not a problem, but at this point of their careers the QBs need favorable circumstances to perform at a high level. When things get off, you see some ugly throws and self-sacking. 

  Indeed you are correct. I was talking to Burt Macklin and that Bobby Batronic dude about Sark's system. It needs the run game and the passing game to look the same at snap to be effective. When you run so much OZ when you drop back to pass it's an easy read for the defense. Linemen not shuffling to the left or right, its pass. That doesn't help inexperienced QBs at all. The problem the last couple games is we are just running plays. They are solidly schemed plays but they don't build on one another as well as they are supposed to. What should be happening is as teams load up to shut down one facet of the game we switch to another one that looks relatively the same coming off the ball. Instead, what you are getting is us trying to run wide and teams adjusting and shutting it down in the second half, but the passing game can't play off of it. 

  Football is pretty simple. Good offenses punish you for trying to take something away. Until we can do that consistently we will see more of the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Chooky said:

If Thompson plays all night Texas wins.  Card was allowed to linger after a fumble so he could contribute a pick 6.  Sweet feathery Jesus, why?

Just crazy. The minute that Thompson proved he could play better than last week at Iowa State, when he couldn't even throw the football, Card should never have seen the field.

  • Hook 'Em 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Should’ve played the whole game. Idk what Sark was thinking playing Card after that ISU shitshow when Casey playing fine. One of many things that would’ve swung the game. 

Yep especially since he’s been in record talking about not playing 2 QBs…. He totally fucked himself with that decision tonight

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Casey threw a pick and had a fumble as well. He had a solid game otherwise, but lets not act like he didn't put himself in this situation last game. He came out skipping balls off the ground 10 yards in front of receivers leaving the HC no choice but to pull him. So without the crystal ball how would you know he would go from playing worse than Card to playing fairly solidly?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JimmyJames said:

Playing card in this game when Casey was doing ok is why I am questioning sark. Totally ridiculous. Cost us 14 points. Hell we might have come close to covering otherwise. 

Casey fumbled and gave them a TD by not being aware and holding the ball.

And he was rubbing his thumb every single play.  His passes were off.  Scoring should have been easier.

But then Card looked even worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bullet said:

Casey fumbled and gave them a TD by not being aware and holding the ball.

And he was rubbing his thumb every single play.  His passes were off.  Scoring should have been easier.

But then Card looked even worse.

Casey hasn’t played great since the first half of the OU game but he’s been serviceable. Card has been terrible almost every snap since the start of the Arkansas game. The problem with Texas last night was the defense refused to tackle their RBs and refused to cover their receivers, not the offense. Pulling Casey at that moment in the game was idiotic and it cost us. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

Card is worse than Gilbert.  Sark is a moron.

That was exactly my thought when watching Arkansas and Iowa State. I honestly didn’t think we would ever have another quarterback that was worse than Gilbert. I was wrong!

won’t be surprised if Hudson hits the transfer portal and is gone next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Casey hasn’t played great since the first half of the OU game but he’s been serviceable. Card has been terrible almost every snap since the start of the Arkansas game. The problem with Texas last night was the defense refused to tackle their RBs and refused to cover their receivers, not the offense. Pulling Casey at that moment in the game was idiotic and it cost us. 

It was 14-7 KU and Casey hadn't played great. He had already fumbled costing 7 points. Card came in threw a TD pass then did exactly what Casey did times 2. We pulled him for Casey again, but at the time what was our reason for not trying him?

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

 Casey threw a pick and had a fumble as well. He had a solid game otherwise, but lets not act like he didn't put himself in this situation last game. He came out skipping balls off the ground 10 yards in front of receivers leaving the HC no choice but to pull him. So without the crystal ball how would you know he would go from playing worse than Card to playing fairly solidly?

I would love to see Roschon Johnson go up to Sark in those instances and say y’know I played a little quarterback in high school.  Why not give me a shot?  At least I know how to run when the offensive line puts me in danger.  But then Sark would likely look over Johnson’s shoulder and yell Kai! Money!  Where are you?!  Get in there!

I kid.  We’ll just a little.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It was 14-7 KU and Casey hadn't played great. He had already fumbled costing 7 points. Card came in threw a TD pass then did exactly what Casey did times 2. We pulled him for Casey again, but at the time what was our reason for not trying him?

Maybe I’m misremembering what happened but my recollection is Casey had just led them on a scoring drive when he was pulled. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, 89Horn said:

I would love to see Roschon Johnson go up to Sark in those instances and say y’know I played a little quarterback in high school.  Why not give me a shot?  At least I know how to run when the offensive line puts me in danger.  But then Sark would likely look over Johnson’s shoulder and yell Kai! Money!  Where are you?!  Get in there!

I kid.  We’ll just a little.

 

  No shit. I don't give a shit who is in there. Just don't turn it over and hit the wide the fuck open guys in front of you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Casey fumbled and gave them a TD by not being aware and holding the ball.
And he was rubbing his thumb every single play.  His passes were off.  Scoring should have been easier.
But then Card looked even worse.

He almost threw a pick 6 himself but overall, played well enough to win. He won’t throw well vs WV or K-state though.
  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

It was 14-7 KU and Casey hadn't played great. He had already fumbled costing 7 points. Card came in threw a TD pass then did exactly what Casey did times 2. We pulled him for Casey again, but at the time what was our reason for not trying him?

I would understand (maybe) if Card had done anything of note against Iowa State playing in relief of injured Thompson. He did not. He was abysmal last week.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Maybe I’m misremembering what happened but my recollection is Casey had just led them on a scoring drive when he was pulled. 

 Casey's first series was a strip sack. KU scored off of it. Casey didn't score until the 2nd qtr and it was 14-7. Card comes in and scores to make it 14-14. At this point who is playing better? Neither, but one might argue Card since he hadn't turned it over yet. Then Card fumbles. Then the pick 6. At that point you are trying to give them a quarter a piece to see what they got. But after the two quick turnovers by Card you have to pull him. Just before that he was one drive and a score and Casey had looked mediocre.

  We just fucking suck is really what it comes down to. Neither of these guys can take care of the ball, and as much as I want Casey to be the guy he just looks erratic from game to game and qtr to qtr.

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I would understand (maybe) if Card had done anything of note against Iowa State playing in relief of injured Thompson. He did not. He was abysmal last week.

It’s easy to see why. Casey is mediocre at best. He was 8th in QBR in the BIg 12 coming into Kansas. Watch the first series of Card and you say “damn, he maybe a QB”. Then 1 thing goes wrong, sack/fumble and he falls apart. That’s his M.O. He looks good until the first issue arises, after that he is holed up in his shell. Only thing obvious from this year is Texas needs a QB in the portal 

  • Hook 'Em 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I would understand (maybe) if Card had done anything of note against Iowa State playing in relief of injured Thompson. He did not. He was abysmal last week.

  Agreed, but that mother fuckin 11 was throwing skip passes at receivers feet last week too. We just don't have a guy. Shit sucks but we are here. Our qb play is shit, and has been shit for the majority of the last decade outside of Sam's last couple years after he matured.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Codaxx said:

It’s easy to see why. Casey is mediocre at best. He was 8th in QBR in the BIg 12 coming into Kansas. Watch the first series of Card and you say “damn, he maybe a QB”. Then 1 thing goes wrong, sack/fumble and he falls apart. That’s his M.O. He looks good until the first issue arises, after that he is holed up in his shell. Only thing obvious from this year is Texas needs a QB in the portal 

  This is it exactly. First series and Card looks like he may need a longer look and then boom here we are. He just fucking folds at the first sign of adversity.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

He should not be playing right now with his thumb but Card is leaving the team no choice. Props to him for gutting it out as best he can.

Funny how his thumb was fine after a solid Baylor outing. Didn’t hurt him much vs a terrible Kansas defense. But damn that thumb hurt vs a good ISU defense 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, dcar00 said:

The Card experiment is over.  Thompson isn't much better but he's not a complete LT headcase.

  Can you imagine sitting in the QB room and this is what you've got? Shit!  These two guys are the tools you have to work with at The University of Texas. This line is what we have to work with at a school of this caliber? How in the fuck did we end up here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Funny how his thumb was fine after a solid Baylor outing. Didn’t hurt him much vs a terrible Kansas defense. But damn that thumb hurt vs a good ISU defense 

yea fuck the whole thumb bullshit, makes a good pass and he's slapping hands with someone, makes a shit throw and he's rubbing his thumb.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

  Can you imagine sitting in the QB room and this is what you've got? Shit!  These two guys are the tools you have to work with at The University of Texas. This line is what we have to work with at a school of this caliber? How in the fuck did we end up here.

yep.  while I think he should have started Casey from the jump, Card has a stronger arm.  I think Sark should be fired because he isn't a head coach and will be in 4 years but I think he could make the O decent with some portal acquisitions(if he can keep Bijan and Worthy).  

the problem is he knows shitall about defense and hired a PAC 12 guy because he did well one time against his offense.  He will keep him because football coaches are generally a stupid lot, therefore he and we are fucked.

It was a meh hire from the get go and the OL and QB situation has made it a full on shitshow.  I don't believe Sark can recruit his way to anything close to a 10 or 11 win team.

Eltife can go eat a back of dicks with Stoops.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

  Can you imagine sitting in the QB room and this is what you've got? Shit!  These two guys are the tools you have to work with at The University of Texas. This line is what we have to work with at a school of this caliber? How in the fuck did we end up here.

Tom Herman GIF - Tom Herman Sledgehammer - Discover & Share GIFs

Edited by bschoolprof
  • Haha 2
  • Rage+1 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

  Agreed, but that mother fuckin 11 was throwing skip passes at receivers feet last week too. We just don't have a guy. Shit sucks but we are here. Our qb play is shit, and has been shit for the majority of the last decade outside of Sam's last couple years after he matured.

Correct. For whatever reason, Thompson couldn't throw a ball last week. I suspect it was his thumb or he just didn't feel comfortable in Ames. At night.

What I mean is that Card came in and did almost nothing against Iowa State either. He did have one TD drive. Other than that, I saw zip that said he *had* to get PT of any kind last night if Thompson looked somewhat competent, which he did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Correct. For whatever reason, Thompson couldn't throw a ball last week. I suspect it was his thumb or he just didn't feel comfortable in Ames. At night.

What I mean is that Card came in and did almost nothing against Iowa State either. He did have one TD drive. Other than that, I saw zip that said he *had* to get PT of any kind last night if Thompson looked somewhat competent, which he did.

the sad thing is it really doesn't matter because PK is such a shitshow.  It doesn't matter which QB we play we aren't winning the next 2 games.  Card IMO would just make the losses worse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

yep.  while I think he should have started Casey from the jump, Card has a stronger arm.  I think Sark should be fired because he isn't a head coach and will be in 4 years but I think he could make the O decent with some portal acquisitions(if he can keep Bijan and Worthy).  

the problem is he knows shitall about defense and hired a PAC 12 guy because he did well one time against his offense.  He will keep him because football coaches are generally a stupid lot, therefore he and we are fucked.

It was a meh hire from the get go and the OL and QB situation has made it a full on shitshow.  I don't believe Sark can recruit his way to anything close to a 10 or 11 win team.

Eltife can go eat a back of dicks with Stoops.

Sark got Worthy to decommit from Michigan and come here, got a backup Bama running back to leave them and come be a backup here, got a linebacker to leave there and come here, another from Notre Dame to come here but he can't recruit? They all left better programs to come here because of Sark. We all know you hated the hire, believe me we all fucking know but maybe give him one recruiting class to say he can't recruit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Both QBs are too mentally weak.  That is where the lack of leadership really is most absent.  One thing I don’t get is Kersetter letting his guy get past him and then he just stands there thinking what?  If I’m the online guy and the defender gets past me I keep running because when he knocks the ball loose from the QB at least I might have a chance to recover the fumble.   It’s like the whole team signs weekly NIL deals with the alumni of the team we play that week.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...