2019 NCAA Tournament: Second Round

Machinator

3 hours ago, NowThis said:

this is the game thread from last year March 2018 Tech - Nova  .  Guess who wrote all those comments. 

Nova's physical style receives benefit of the doubt.  they pretty much have to foul Tech twice on the play for it to be called.

Brunson lowers his shoulder on the drive...foul on Tech.Culver gets bumped all the way around the perimeter...no call.

Last 3 Tech possessions, the shooter was fouled. No fucking whistle.  Fuck this game. We have no fucking shot if they can just play gorilla ball with no consequences.

Yep.  because nobody ever gets pissed off during a game thread and nobody ever gets the benefit of hindsight/ reflection in a more sober( unemotional) state.

1 hour ago, Girdwood said:

This is a Texas board. Know your place. 

The Techtards are getting way too chummy  around here these days. Fuck off.

If it weren't for us, you wouldn't need a 2019 NCAA Tourney thread...

So kindly go fuck yourself.

5 minutes ago, slorch said:

Yep.  because nobody ever gets pissed off during a game thread and nobody ever gets the benefit of hindsight/ reflection in a more sober( unemotional) state.

others notice it too and not every game is noticed for the refs. You were right in real time 2018. 

4 minutes ago, Girdwood said:

Remind me how many national championships Texas Tech has won in the 3 major sports?

Thanks for reminding us what Surly COULD be, and how eternally grateful we are that it is NOT.

7 hours ago, NowThis said:

Coogs play Kentucky and that mafia sleezebag Calipari. 

1984 all over again.  I hope Hakeem is in the VIP booth for several TV cut shots.  Have Sam Bowie there too for balance. 

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/Statistics/Games/19840122Houston.html

Coogs lost that game, need revenge. 

19840122Houston.jpg

Should have had a rematch later that season, but... you know...  3-33...  fuck! 

6 hours ago, slorch said:

If it weren't for us, you wouldn't need a 2019 NCAA Tourney thread...

So kindly go fuck yourself.

Yeah, a bunch of degenerate gamblers and people who like sports are totally only watching and posting bc Tech is in the tournament.  Not any of the other 67 teams. 

• Like 2

I wonder how the TV ratings will be, going forward. Awful lot of football-first Southern schools in the Sweet 16 and a really underwhelming tournament in general thus far
I wonder if Tennessee would prefer to be a basketball school the way their last 20 football seasons have gone.

Duke, sparty, unc and Kentucky are in.. they'll be alright

7 hours ago, BluTechsan said:

1st 10:00 they couldn't buy a basket, 2nd 10:00 they couldn't miss

never seen momentum shift that hard and fast before

Mar. 22, 1990  Texas defeating Xavier 102 - 89 (Sweet 16 Gm)

Edited by LTtxfan

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I wonder how the TV ratings will be, going forward. Awful lot of football-first Southern schools in the Sweet 16 and a really underwhelming tournament in general thus far

Fuck you chalk! 87.5% of top 4 seeds made the sweet 16.  Yawn.

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-5

1-2-3-12

OesS.gif

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I wonder if Tennessee would prefer to be a basketball school the way their last 20 football seasons have gone.

Duke, sparty, unc and Kentucky are in.. they'll be alright

That helps, along with Michigan, but I still think casual viewership is at risk when the bracket's filled with football schools after two rounds of chalk-won blowouts. 

If the games were scintillating, it wouldn't matter that much either way, although a program like Indiana will draw casual interest in a way Auburn or LSU doesn't. 

Fuck you chalk! 87.5% of top 4 seeds made the sweet 16.  Yawn.

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-4

1-2-3-5

1-2-3-12

Works for me. I’m a pussy at picking upsets so my brackets are usually chalk heavy. I did manage to get both Oregon and Auburn right and my only miss was I picked Nova over Purdue. My bracket is second place at work.

15 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

I know it’s been bitched 7 ways from Sunday, but Zion not called for a charge (reminscent of Baylor/Duke in Houston ‘10), then  push in the back on the FT, and of course Duke puts one in.  Fuck those limey fucks and Coach Splinter’s cheese eating ass.   Fuck 

Know the rules. Dude is standing in the circle. Not a charge.

1 hour ago, SwanderedTalent said:

That helps, along with Michigan, but I still think casual viewership is at risk when the bracket's filled with football schools after two rounds of chalk-won blowouts. 

If the games were scintillating, it wouldn't matter that much either way, although a program like Indiana will draw casual interest in a way Auburn or LSU doesn't. 

Viewership should be fine.  Of teams that usually move the needle, only Kansas didn't get out of the first round, but they'd have been playing North Carolina...so that game will draw casual viewers, anyway.  Having 3 legit blue bloods + Michigan State favored in S16 games is just about as good as you can be at this point.

1 minute ago, Trey3216 said:

I do know the rules, and B.J. Taylor was about 5 feet outside of the circle. Zion just bulldozed his ass. 

The defender chested up to Zion and wasn't even on the side that Zion was traveling in. Zion was passively going left to right to set up the spin move, as the guy flopped during the contact that HE himself created. I hate Duke as much as the next guy, but I would be mad at the refs for calling that. He didn't extend an arm or anything. If you watched the game, said dude had been flopping the whole time.

Yeah I looked at that a few times and Zion went through 2 guys... the first one was clearly not offensive - Taylor was moving.  The second one could have been called either way, but it wasn't blatantly offensive either.  But Fall was standing still.  I think that was definitely offensive.

However if Fall would have used his humongous size and stood firm, Zion would never have made that shot, and he's be shooting 2 at the line at worst.  Fall just "fell" back.  Brace himself and push back and that ball would have died.

Anyhoo, so it goes.

53 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Defenders feet were moving and Zion didn't extend his arm. Not a charge.

He absolutely did extend his arm are you blind?

Edit: I should say though it was not nearly enough to be a charge under normal circumstances. The main problem is Tacko Fall being soft as bubble gum despite his giant size.

Edited by Brian Fantana

I don't believe that play was a charge,  but Taylor moving has nothing to do with it. As long as the player is in legal guarding position he/she can still be moving and draw a charge.  The days of a player having to be completely still to draw a charge have long since passed. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

38 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I don't believe that play was a charge,  but Taylor moving has nothing to do with it. As long as the player is in legal guarding position he/she can still be moving and draw a charge.  The days of a player having to be completely still to draw a charge have long since passed. 

Yep, since at least 2010.

1 hour ago, VolenteHawk said:

Viewership should be fine.  Of teams that usually move the needle, only Kansas didn't get out of the first round, but they'd have been playing North Carolina...so that game will draw casual viewers, anyway.  Having 3 legit blue bloods + Michigan State favored in S16 games is just about as good as you can be at this point.

It'll probably be fine, but the lack of a real cinderella will put a lot of potential viewers off.  Oregon's name value is too high for cinderella status.

Worst tournament I can remember.  The best game involved fucking Duke pulling one out over an underdog.  Meanwhile, most of the 2nd round double digit seeds were BCS state schools (Ohio State, Oregon, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida) and Jerry Falwell's "college" and we now have a Sweet 16 consisting entirely of Power 5 schools other than Gonzaga and Houston.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, alincoln said:

Worst tournament I can remember.  The best game involved fucking Duke pulling one out over an underdog.  Meanwhile, most of the 2nd round double digit seeds were BCS state schools (Ohio State, Oregon, Minnesota, Iowa, Florida) and Jerry Falwell's "college" and we now have a Sweet 16 consisting entirely of Power 5 schools other than Gonzaga and Houston.  

Agreed. The 1st 2 rounds besides a few games were pretty fucking dull, especially the 2nd round. The only memorable moments was a last second shot by LSU and 2 missed attempts by UCF. Hopefully the remaining rounds can be a lot better.

22 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

I disagree.  That said, is this the chalkiness sweet 16 ever?  Only 2 seeds that “shouldn’t” be there based on seed. 

The tournament is all about those moments. How many has this tournament had? 2 in 48 games? And one of those was 2 missed shots by UCF.  This tournament has been very ho-hum. Even the close games don't have those moments. 

And I don't mind a chalk tournament.Upsets are fun but a lot of times, those teams get drilled as they move on. I like that all the big dogs are still in it.

• Like 1