2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

I like it. If needed, Cole starts game 5 on normal rest.

Yep.  And if it plays out well, Cole gets game 1 with Verlander in game 2 of the ALCS.  Six in one...

If you don’t close it out tomorrow, it really jacks with the ALCS rotation, so you have to play your best option.  

At least 2-1 are the only numbers that count

Not Rays 13, Astros 12 in the runs column.

Let’s go bats.

I could see the Rays staff having a game like they did in our last regular season matchup when they used 7 pitchers and walked 10 batters in the process. But need the timely hitting to show up unlike that game (2-11 RISP, 11 LOB).

7 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

The point is Urquidy has had some great  outings and if he gave you one he’s capable of you don’t run JV if you don’t have to.  It’s Game 4 not 5.  But I’ll trust Hinch who’s the actual coach.

Guess I misunderstood you ... thought you were advocating to start Urquidy with JV ready out of the pen.  I don’t mind starting Urquidy in place of JV on short rest, but wouldn’t see the point to burn JV if he’s not starting.

36 minutes ago, kevwun said:

Yeah, I would save them for game 5.  Starting JV on short rest in game 4 is a panic move.  The Rays have to bullpen it tomorrow, so it's not like they are trotting out an ace.

I mean, we'd still have GC throwing in game 5, so it kinda makes sense.  And honestly, I'd prefer a mortally wounded JV on the mound over a troupe of middle bullpen guys, who at least lately, seem to have forgotten how to pitch.

'Member when he went 3 for 26 against the Yankees in the 2017 ALCS?
I 'member.
Good thing we're deep.

Oh I do too but I’d take 3 for 26 in a heartbeat compared to what we’re seeing right now...

0-13. 1 BB in 14 PAs through three games.
At least only 3 of the 13 have been Ks and no GIDPs.

Get this out of your system now ahead of the LCS.

I’m pretty sure it’s about going all out to avoid game 5 so you have Cole/Verlander in games 1 and 2 in the ALCS (whereas if one of them starts game 5, he’s off the table until game 3).

I hear ya, but having JV or Cole start game 3 in Yankee stadium (instead of Greinke)... and having Greinke go in game 2 at home to split up the flamethrowers wouldn’t be the worst thing either.

What an absolutely shittastic performance by Greinke.

I understood the whole “wait all season, can’t judge the CFM move in July before the annual injury” argument, but we can judge it now.

Gave up Chuck and four prospects for the right to pay Greinke ~$3M more per season.  Yay.

Still, Astros in 4.

• Like 2

so as much as i prefer urquidy tomorrow vs jv on short rest then relying on a full-rest cole in a must-win game, it doesn't play out that much differently than what i laid out last week - which was to pitch greinke in g2 to have cole on the road in g3.  let me explain...

if we win tomorrow, then yay, and cole goes on sat (+ rest) and jv can go on sunday (regular rest), leaving greinke coming off a dogshit outing in g3 in yankee stadium, which is not great.  it also sets up cole in g1/g5 and verlander in g2/g6 and then greinke in a potential home g7.  obviously, in that instance, you hope you're 2-2 and have cole beast out in g5 then jv close shit out at home in 6.

but if we lose tomorrow, then cole goes thurs in g5.  assuming we win (please please) then you have greinke in g1 at home, jv on sunday (regular rest), and cole starting g3 in yankee stadium, which could be nice.  it also sets up jv and cole to go in g6 and g7 at home.  pretty good "worst case scenario" with the staff. 

either way, we'll have to go urquidy in g4 on the road, even if he only throws 3-4 innings.  would've been nice to get him experience tomorrow.  not sure why he didn't come in today, since hinch clearly already knew what he was doing.  i guess he can give you 2 tomorrow if jv can only go 5.

Just wanted to say fuck off MLB for the bullshit Noon start time. 

biggest games of year...let’s play at a time we never do so the fewest amount of people will watch. No other sport does this bullshit. 162 games but now in a rush. 

have the Stros played one game all season at 11am?

Edited by ChickenSandwich