2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

48 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

no shit.  instead of an intentional walk, why not an intentional HB.

Because he would have ducked out of the way and our catcher (either of them) would have missed the ball and let it go to the backstop, fallen down trying to retrieve it, thrown it over the pitcher's head covering the plate, run into the pitcher knocking him down and dislocating his shoulder, etc.

You didn't fully risk assess this did you?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Because he would have ducked out of the way and our catcher (either of them) would have missed the ball and let it go to the backstop, fallen down trying to retrieve it, thrown it over the pitcher's head covering the plate, run into the pitcher knocking him down and dislocating his shoulder, etc.

You didn't fully risk assess this did you?

If you want a ball to go to the back stop, all you have to do is throw a strike to Maldonado. 

Edited by housious

This is interesting, Astros' team wOBA - xwOBA for each postseason series:

ALDS: .301 - .291 (Astros got their asses kicked at the plate and had relatively neutral "luck")

ALCS: .266 - .353 (Astros hit well but had awful luck)

WS: .319 - .364 (Astros have been crushing it but have had awful luck)

So really, the only series where we got manhandled by the opposing pitching staff was against the Rays, with our offensive struggles in the ALCS and WS being more attributable to poor clustering and sizable wOBA - xwOBA splits.  Of course, not all that goes into wOBA- xwOBA splits is luck given that xwOBA does not incorporate batted ball direction, but a good chunk of it is and xwOBA is a more reliable indicator in small samples than wOBA on the offensive side.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Apparently not.

If the Astros keep doing what they're doing and the Nationals keep doing what they're doing then the Astros have a decent chance of coming back.  I would feel much worse about this series if the Astros were struggling to make quality contact against the Nationals' staff, which has not been the case.  

The Astro bats have had some bad luck with the Nats but we're doing much better than we did against the Yanks. From an offensive standpoint, we had no business winning the ALCS. 

And we were tied with the Nats 2-2 going into the 7th. How often does that turn into a 12-3 route? 

What's the plan with Yordan and the NL park?  Do we stick him in LF/RF and push Reddick to the bench?   Most are down on Alvarez from the ALDS/CS but he's 3 for 6 with 2 walks in the WS. We need his bat out there but I don't know how much of a fielding liability he is.  

Baseball references shows Alvarez with 66 innings in LF this year with 9 outs, 1 assist and 1 error.

The more hours go by, the more I feel like we're still gonna win this series.  I have no reasonable basis to think this: we don't hit on the road, they look like a team of destiny, all of that.

And maybe I'm being a delusional fan who expected to win and can't let it go.  Who knows.

But I think we're gonna win this thing, somehow.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

The more hours go by, the more I feel like we're still gonna win this series.  I have no reasonable basis to think this: we don't hit on the road, they look like a team of destiny, all of that.

And maybe I'm being a delusional fan who expected to win and can't let it go.  Who knows.

But I think we're gonna win this thing, somehow.

Right there with you. Sure, it may be delusional, but I have not lost hope. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Part of me thinks the Astros can still win 4 of the next 5.

Part of me thinks I'm watching a reenactment of the 1990 WS.  

Well much like the 1990 WS this series started on a Tuesday.  The core difference was the Reds had HFA while the Nats do not.  Other than that a strong to quite strong parallel.

2 minutes ago, Limp Brisket said:

f4598a824523dda18ac32b7e9a480dd6.jpg

I think the better analogs are the 1985 Royals, 1986 Mets, and the 1996 Yankees who all lost the first two at home and still won.

Unfortunately 1985 required the Don Denkinger call to hand game 6 to the Royals and 1986 required the Bill Buckner boot to hand game 6 to the Mets so while precedents do exist the circumstances are mostly very very rare.

I get to watch my favorite team play in the World Series this weekend.  

And I get to listen to Smoltz squirm every time Buck brings up the last team to come back from 0-2 to win the Series.  

The pressure of expectations is off the team after falling into an 0-2 hole.  

I’m not seeing any negatives.  
rose colored glasses deal with it GIF

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Pimphand said:

I think the better analogs are the 1985 Royals, 1986 Mets, and the 1996 Yankees who all lost the first two at home and still won.

Unfortunately 1985 required the Don Denkinger call to hand game 6 to the Royals and 1986 required the Bill Buckner boot to hand game 6 to the Mets so while precedents do exist the circumstances are mostly very very rare.

So you’re telling me there’s a chance!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
35 minutes ago, Js1 said:
Taubman gone.  Astros admit their own investigation was wrong and he did direct his comments to the female reporter. 

The gods will be pleased

Yes, maybe this firing will allow the Astros to get back on track and win the World Series. 

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

Damn, actions have consequences.

That dude just blew up his career. There’s always barber college and the world will always need ditch diggers. 

You think that was justified? Its not like he dropped a racial epithet or engaged in sexual harrassment. On the plain reading of what he said on paper, he didn't do anything wrong.  Hey Planet Douchebag, go fuck yourself for calling me a misogynist. Talk to the women in my life about me and they would think your nuts.See the problem is that back in the day, a reporter would never print this garbage and make herself the center of attention. Dan Pastorini put Dale Robertson in a headlock and was fighting with him in the Oilers locker-room. Do you think that Dale would write about that. No because back in the day reporters wouldn't make themselves the center of attention. But nowadays we live in an era of microaggressions and woke sensibility. I think the writer wanted to bring attention to herself by blowing this up and ruined the career of an up and coming baseball analyst. For merely saying he was so glad to have Osuna on the team. He is guilty of an Orwellian interpretation of what he said.  Is she going to be writing about private conversations between players in the clubhouse next. If I were the Astros I would never wavered from their initial press release in order put the heat back on Ms. Snowflake. Shame on her for reporting on this like it was some sort of major affront. Ruined the career of an up and coming analyst. Now if this will appease the baseball gods and help us win this WS I have not problem with how this went down. :)

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You think that was justified? Its not like he dropped a racial epithet or engaged in sexual harrassment. On the plain reading of what he said on paper, he didn't do anything wrong.  Hey Planet Douchebag, go fuck yourself for calling me a misogynist. Talk to the women in my life about me and they would think your nuts.See the problem is that back in the day, a reporter would never print this garbage and make herself the center of attention. Dan Pastorini put Dale Robertson in a headlock and was fighting with him in the Oilers locker-room. Do you think that Dale would write about that. No because back in the day reporters wouldn't make themselves the center of attention. But nowadays we live in an era of microaggressions and woke sensibility. I think the writer wanted to bring attention to herself by blowing this up and ruined the career of an up and coming baseball analyst. For merely saying he was so glad to have Osuna on the team. He is guilty of an Orwellian interpretation of what he said.  Is she going to be writing about private conversations between players in the clubhouse next. If I were the Astros I would never wavered from their initial press release in order put the heat back on Ms. Snowflake. Shame on her for reporting on this like it was some sort of major affront. Ruined the career of an up and coming analyst. Now if this will appease the baseball gods and help us win this WS I have not problem with how this went down. :)

Dude ruined his own career by being a fucking idiot. Hopefully they fire the PR moron that allowed this to become what it ballooned into.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Kermit said:

Dude ruined his own career by being a fucking idiot. Hopefully they fire the PR moron that allowed this to become what it ballooned into.

so the actions of a player or employee in their OWN LOCKEROOM is now fair game. So if a reporter of any stripe hears an inappropriate joke or some sort of banter that is now fair game to be reported on. Never should have been printed.

• Fuck You 3

10 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

You think that was justified? Its not like he dropped a racial epithet or engaged in sexual harrassment. On the plain reading of what he said on paper, he didn't do anything wrong.  Hey Planet Douchebag, go fuck yourself for calling me a misogynist. Talk to the women in my life about me and they would think your nuts.See the problem is that back in the day, a reporter would never print this garbage and make herself the center of attention. Dan Pastorini put Dale Robertson in a headlock and was fighting with him in the Oilers locker-room. Do you think that Dale would write about that. No because back in the day reporters wouldn't make themselves the center of attention. But nowadays we live in an era of microaggressions and woke sensibility. I think the writer wanted to bring attention to herself by blowing this up and ruined the career of an up and coming baseball analyst. For merely saying he was so glad to have Osuna on the team. He is guilty of an Orwellian interpretation of what he said.  Is she going to be writing about private conversations between players in the clubhouse next. If I were the Astros I would never wavered from their initial press release in order put the heat back on Ms. Snowflake. Shame on her for reporting on this like it was some sort of major affront. Ruined the career of an up and coming analyst. 

Image result for survivor reaction gif

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

so the actions of a player or employee in their OWN LOCKEROOM is now fair game. So if a reporter of any stripe hears an inappropriate joke or some sort of banter that is now fair game to be reported on. Never should have been printed.

It was aimed at her. How many women do you know? Have you ever known one to not hold your words against you? Again, he’s a fucking idiot. And no, the locker room has never been a safe place for people behaving badly. 

17 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

evolution is overrated.

• Like 1