2019 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

30 minutes ago, Iconoclast Texan said:

so the actions of a player or employee in their OWN LOCKEROOM is now fair game. So if a reporter of any stripe hears an inappropriate joke or some sort of banter that is now fair game to be reported on. Never should have been printed.

That's not what happened. She didn't just overhear some comment in the club house. He directed his comment to a reporter (Footer I am assuming) who had been vocal in her displeasure with the Astros acquiring Osuna. Regardless of your thoughts on the reporter or his comments, his behavior, at minimum, showed a gross lack of awareness and judgment that is disqualifying for the position he held.

He essentially poked the SJW bear, and the results were as you would expect them to be. It was colossally stupid and was a fireable offense under any circumstances. You cannot allow someone in his position to tarnish the organization's reputation even if his motivation was merely stupidity and not misogyny. Either way, when it became clear that he targeted her, he had to go. And he fucking lied about it first, which, at least in part, resulted in the initial statement that added fuel to the fire. 

You simply cannot look at this situation and not see how it has damaged the Astros' reputation. And for what? So some finance bro can stick it to a reporter he doesn't like? If he's willing to play that fast and loose with the organization's reputation, he needed to go.

And this is without even considering the awfulness of his behavior on its own, which I believe should have resulted in his termination even if the story never broke. 

In short, he intentionally did something that foreseeablely resulted in the shit show around the organization that we have witnessed this week. That can't happen, and it doesn't much matter how you feel about the "something" that he did. The lack of judgment alone disqualified him from his position.  

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Seasick Sailor said:

That's not what happened. She didn't just overhear some comment in the club house. He directed his comment to a reporter (Footer I am assuming) who had been vocal in her displeasure with the Astros acquiring Osuna. Regardless of your thoughts on the reporter or his comments, his behavior, at minimum, showed a gross lack of awareness and judgment that is disqualifying for the position he held.

He essentially poked the SJW bear, and the results were as you would expect them to be. It was colossally stupid and was a fireable offense under any circumstances. You cannot allow someone in his position to tarnish the organization's reputation even if he motivation was merely stupidity and not misogyny. Either way, when it became clear that he targeted her, he had to go. And he fucking lied about it first, which, at least in part, resulted in the initial statement that added fuel to the fire. 

You simply cannot look at this situation and not see how it has damaged the Astros' reputation. And for what? So some finance bro can stick it to a reporter he doesn't like? If he's willing to play that fast and loose with the organization's reputation, he needed to go.

And this is without even considering the awfulness of his behavior on its own, which I believe should have resulted in his termination even if the story never broke. 

In short, he intentionally did something that foreseeablely resulted in the shit show around the organization that we have witnessed this week. That can't happen, and it doesn't much matter how you feel about the "something" that he did. The lack of judgment alone disqualified him from his position.  

I can't argue with what you said. That was dumb of him which resulted in putting the Astros organization in a poor light when it is in fact the best run team in all of baseball

If only there were a key game coming up, to divert our collective attention from the locker room clown show. Not that the displays we've seen on the field the last two nights haven't been clown shows in themselves.

I have no idea what we're going to get from Greinke, but I'm sure not expecting him to win 2-1 with seven strong innings. In fact, my expectations are so low that I'm thinking there's a fair chance he pitches well. We really, really, really need to jump out to a 4-0 lead and build from there, ideally with key contributions from Correa and Reddick (or whoever else is in RF). Time to quit jacking around.  

Edited by Gut Wagon

1 minute ago, Gut Wagon said:

If only there were a key game coming up, to divert our collective attention from the locker room clown show. Not that the displays we've seen on the field the last two nights haven't been clown shows in themselves.

I have no idea what we're going to get from Greinke, but I'm sure not expecting him to win 2-1 with seven strong innings. In fact, my expectations are so low that I'm thinking there's a fair chance he pitches well. We really, really, really need to jump out to a 4-0 lead and build from there, ideally with key contributions from Correa and Reddick (or whoever else is in RF). Time to quit jacking around.  

i feel like g3 is going to be a low scoring dog fight.  g4 is going to be high scoring, and possibly a blowout.

so how do we go about winning both of these games?

5 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i feel like g3 is going to be a low scoring dog fight.  g4 is going to be high scoring, and possibly a blowout.

Dig up Bud Adams’ corpse and desecrate it in the Astrodome?

I’m just spitballing here.  That really has nothing to do with baseball, it’s just on my bucket list.  

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

What gets me is that these women think we actually pay attention to the rubber wristbands they’re wearing and know what they mean.  That said, I’m glad we fired him. He was a dumbass for praising Osuna after he blew the lead. The story should be over now but we know that it won’t be. 

• Like 2

We don't. This is over. I love you guys (except Dennison), but some of the mental gymnastics ain't gonna make difference. We've been limping for a month and just hit a buzzsaw of the hottest team right now, not the best team of 2019.

Also fuck the wild card. You want to go to the playoffs; win your fucking division.

3 hours ago, texashorne said:

I agree with Icono in principal; woke culture and journalism is infuriating in this day and age.

Absolutely on the nose right here.

Beating the shit out of women should be spoken about in whispers and kept in the family. Completely unconscionable that people would report on that kind of thing.

• Like 9
  • Fuck You 2

4 hours ago, texashorne said:

woke culture and journalism is infuriating in this day and age.

What does this even mean? That shining a light on domestic violence is “woke” and infuriates you? And that we, as a culture, should let “boys be boys” and allow Taubman to get away with verbally accosting a woman because he’s frustrated she won’t drop the issue about domestic violence?   

Grow up. 

• Like 4
  • Fuck You 2

http://www.crawfishboxes.com/platform/amp/2019/8/22/20826486/getting-to-know-the-astros-front-office-brandon-taubman

He recently announced in an interview with EY that his wife is pregnant, and when asked when it was due he said “In November - hopefully after we win our next World Series. That’s the dream!”

spacer.png

4 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

G3 is gonna be one of two things. It will be like G2 of the ALCS where it goes to extra innings and the winner wins the series. Or the Nationals will win in a blowout and then close it out in 4.  There is zero chance the Astros win a blowout. The whole game is about whether the Astros are still ready to fight. 

Edited by FondrenRoad

44 minutes ago, Planet Houston said:

What does this even mean? That shining a light on domestic violence is “woke” and infuriates you? And that we, as a culture, should let “boys be boys” and allow Taubman to get away with verbally accosting a woman because he’s frustrated she won’t drop the issue about domestic violence?   

Grow up. 

Couldn’t they have done something besides firing his dumb ass?  A donation to a battered woman’s charity, 100 hrs community service at a shelter and 100 stadiums for good measure.  Don’t let him skate, but there were other options.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Couldn’t they have done something besides firing his dumb ass?  A donation to a battered woman’s charity, 100 hrs community service at a shelter and 100 stadiums for good measure.  Don’t let him skate, but there were other options.

Why?  You think this dipshit is the key to our success?

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

so how do we go about winning both of these games?

I feel like we’ve all lost a bit of focusness here so I’ll take this one. 

If we have more runs than them at the end of the ninth inning of each game, then everything should fall in our favor. We can do it!! 

13 hours ago, cabowabo said:

How many beers had this idiot slammed in the clubhouse?  

My question too.

In what professional world is what he said OK?  Gotdam, you needed that pound of flesh that badly?  You couldn't possibly say anything stronger than your team winning the game, but there you were, running your fucking sewer...

Here's a thought: everyone's written our obituary.  It's over.  We choked.  Maybe that will actually help some of our guys relax at the plate (the narrative can't get any worse, right?) and maybe it'll help others with a chip on their shoulder take it personally and go do damage.

Here's another thought: if we win tonight, all of the pressure shifts on to them.  Game 4 becomes a must-win for them, knowing that a pissed off Gerrit Cole is almost certain to rebound in Game 5.

Just win one baseball game tonight.  That's all it is.

• Like 2

I'm sure this is common practice especially given that they clinched the NL on the road, but perhaps the baseball gods will view this as a display of hubris and allow a couple of seeing-eye-singles to find their way out of the infield and a couple of hanging breaking balls to find their way over the wall this evening:

Edited by Seasick Sailor

37 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Here's a thought: everyone's written our obituary.  It's over.  We choked.  Maybe that will actually help some of our guys relax at the plate (the narrative can't get any worse, right?) and maybe it'll help others with a chip on their shoulder take it personally and go do damage.

Here's another thought: if we win tonight, all of the pressure shifts on to them.  Game 4 becomes a must-win for them, knowing that a pissed off Gerrit Cole is almost certain to rebound in Game 5.

Just win one baseball game tonight.  That's all it is.

we win one of the next two games and this shit comes back to houston where we win it all. 

• Like 2

Has Hinch given any clues what he’s going to do in the OF?

You gotta sacrifice the defense and put Yordan in left and Brantley in right unless Alvarez wears a golden sombrero, don’t you?

I love the strategy of NL ball but hate it when pen meets paper and there is a real dilemma about whether to start a ROY or not...