The AAF may fold in a couple days

F250

54 minutes ago, Machinator said:

If a NFL player is an unsigned free agent, that player eligible to play in the AAF right??

Still should be plenty of players to field current Teams  in AAF without currently signed NFL players........

I understand why a currently signed NFL player shouldn't play in the AAF unless that player is protected on compensation and accruing NFL pension benefits......

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A players' union official did express serious concerns about the risks of lending active NFL players to the AAF. The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the issue.  The person said the players' union is founded on the belief that using active NFL players and practice squad members for the AAF would violate the terms of the CBA and the restrictions that prevent teams from holding mandatory workouts and practices throughout the offseason. The limitations set in place are designed to ensure the safety and adequate rest and recovery time for football players. But there’s a concern that teams would abuse their power and pehaps force young players into AAF action as a condition for consideration for NFL roster spots in the fall. 

The additional concern on the NFLPA’s part is that if an NFL player played in the AAF and suffered serious injury, that player would face the risk of missing an NFL season and lose a year of accrued experience, which carries financial ramifications for players. 

Edited by LTtxfan

22 minutes ago, phdhorn said:

I wouldn't much know that it unfolded.

I can just watch "The Replacements" repeatedly and get the same thing.

Exactly. Once the Super Bowl is done, I am done with football. I don't need to see much lower level competition to get my "fix". After the Super Bowl ends, college basketball is nearing the March Madness tournament. NBA is coming down to the final few months. MLB is a few months from opening. I don't need football year around. I tried to watch AAF last weekend and it was painful to watch.

• Like 3

Yeah, it’s always funny to talk about the horror of football ending and having to wait but in reality I’m fine with the off-season. I like basketball well enough (if my teams are good) and I like seeing minor league baseball and soccer locally during the summer. I watched the first broadcast game with San Antonio but haven’t given it much thought since. It would seem though that there would be enough football doe hates to keep this going if they can keep the overhead reasonable, like minor league baseball but with more broadcasts. I’m not the target audience.

2 hours ago, NowThis said:

why show GG?

anyway -- why do they need NFL players? Fans won't know the difference and don't they already have full rosters?

If they are going to fold, it has nothing to do with their inability to get NFL practice squad guys.  Their long term goal is sort of to be a development league for the NFL to add some legitimacy to the football they are playing.  That helps if players on their roster can be seen in the NFL.

26 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

If they are going to fold, it has nothing to do with their inability to get NFL practice squad guys.  Their long term goal is sort of to be a development league for the NFL to add some legitimacy to the football they are playing.  That helps if players on their roster can be seen in the NFL.

Yeah, but I think the goal is for the practice squad guys to show up in the AAF, as a showcase for them to hopefully get an NFL job. In other words, a minor league for football.

If they can start getting kids right out of high school to play in the AAF, so much the better.

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Exactly. Once the Super Bowl is done, I am done with football. I don't need to see much lower level competition to get my "fix". After the Super Bowl ends, college basketball is nearing the March Madness tournament. NBA is coming down to the final few months. MLB is a few months from opening. I don't need football year around. I tried to watch AAF last weekend and it was painful to watch.

Don't dodge the subliminal question do you or do you not watch The Replacements?

3 hours ago, F250 said:

If it does fold.

manzielexpress.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

I really don't know why anyone would take pleasure in the misfortunes of another.  JFF has been an outstanding 'Merican citizen, has made great personal sacrifice to try to make this world a better place, has been a dutiful and loyal husband, and has provided Aggy with the opportunity to purchase football jerseys from a number of different organizations.  

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Correct, the proper amount of football for me during the spring and summer is the 1-2 hours I spend watching draft coverage.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zavala said:

Bruh I got blasted in one of the many AAF threads when the league first started for complaining nobody is gonna give a shit

Well I like the AAF and hope it sticks around, so if you were shitting on it, especially to people enjoying it, I’m sure you were not treated  kindly. That being said, there’s a difference between liking something as something to watch in the background while drinking and giving a shit if it goes away. Meaning if the AAF thought leaking this would cause some fan uproar to help with NFLPA negotiations, I think that is laughable. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

Nobody is going to give a shit about minor league football, at least not on the level they are hoping for with national tv coverage, etc.  They could pull off minor league football if it’s like the baseball model, i.e. the Cowboys have an affiliate in Corpus Christi or whatever and it’s based on local market live attendance.

Even in the off-season, if you want a national audience to care, you have to outbid the NFL for some stars like the old USFL.  

This. The Cowboys could put a AAA team in San Antonio and it would be instantly profitable. NFL scraps TNF and instead plays the AAA games on Thursday nights. Local stations carry them with the "game of the week" getting the national TV slot typically allocated to TNF now. Call up/down as needed, basically gives you a 106-man roster pool. 

• Like 1

I've been enjoying the AAF games, then again I love football, so more of something I like is preferable to less of something I like. None of the current players are signed with NFL teams, so I don't see how that would suddenly become a problem now. I agree with the hyperbole statement, it's just a leveraging tactic.

I also like watching the Round Rock Express minor league games, so it'll be great if the AAF can ever get to that point.

2 hours ago, gmr548 said:

This. The Cowboys could put a AAA team in San Antonio and it would be instantly profitable. NFL scraps TNF and instead plays the AAA games on Thursday nights. Local stations carry them with the "game of the week" getting the national TV slot typically allocated to TNF now. Call up/down as needed, basically gives you a 106-man roster pool. 

I believe this is the goal and how the AAF has been pitching it to the NFL. a true minor league system with NFL team affiliation would probably pull in more fans. It would also need to run concurrently with the NFL season before the NFLPA would go along with it. I like the idea of Thursday night games. Shit, replace the current crop of players in the AAF with the NFL practice squads. Thursdays would be like JV game day and minor league fans would be more likely to see players that get called up to the NFL.

I love the hell out of the fact that there is an alternative to women's basketball or pro bowling on Sundays in February and March. It's not competing with the NFL? No shit. It's still 18,000,003% better than any other sporting event they would have been showing at the time.

It's football, goddamn it. Gimme more.

• Like 2

Perhaps the AAF should be talking with the NFL and NFLPA about implementing a rule allowing them to draft high school players.

Players have to declare by December 1 of the senior year. If they declare for the AAF, they are then ineligible to play NCAA ball.

Then, they would have to play a minimum of two years in the AAF.

Something similar to baseball.

That would have the potential to get the knuckleheads who can't even spell college and who have no interest in classwork, out of the university system and they would start to earn some $ from day one. Perhaps each AAF team would be required to have an "educational/life trainer" on staff and these high school players would be required to attend a life course ... i.e., learn how to balance a bank account, invest, etc.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

If the AAF isn’t subject to the NFLPA agreement, what’s to stop them from drafting guys out of high school?

They should! I'm sure there's guys willing to give up a free ride to college with the unlimited ass pass for $70,000/yr.

The quality of play/player is pretty good outside of QB.  I don't think this league will fail.  I do think they should try and partner or merge with the XFL.  I am not sure why the AAF and XFL would want to compete with each other.

It's crazy that until now there has been no Spring football.  The NFL has been the most popular sports league in the US going on almost 6 decades now and its only playing meaningful games 5 months out of 12.  FBS runs along side it and is the second most popular sports 'league'.  I mean shit, in Texas high school football is in the running in terms of popularity with non-football pro leagues like MLB, NBA, NHL, etc.  There is definitely room for meaningful football during Feb-August.

In San Antonio the Commanders are getting more and more attendance with each game and the fans seem pretty into it.

On 3/27/2019 at 3:01 PM, Zavala said:

Bruh I got blasted in one of the many AAF threads when the league first started for complaining nobody is gonna give a shit

Well, Eminem care(d) enough to give a suggestion, maybe it should merge with UFC..? Ha...

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 3:52 PM, Rimbo said:

I can't see why y'all think "more football" is a bad thing. It's not like this is the XFL or anything.

These dumbass leagues decide we need 'more football' in February when we've just had 8 straight months of it.  Why don't they start when the sports watching public has a subsisted on a diet of a month of MLB regular season.

On 3/27/2019 at 1:27 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I feel the same way. 

Time to enjoy other sports. 

Around July when camp starts, then anticipation builds, but in March/ April? We have NHL and NBA  regular seasons closing out, March Madness, and NCAA baseball kicking right along.  I’m not watching shitty football just because it’s on TV...

I've been following San Antonio and they aren't a bad team. They have the best fans in the alliance. Orlando is the team to beat. 

I thought there was an out clause in the AAF contracts that released a player if they were called up to the NFL. Not sure why an NFL player under contract would want or be eligible to play AAF.

• Like 1

I love the hell out of the fact that there is an alternative to women's basketball or pro bowling on Sundays in February and March. It's not competing with the NFL? No shit. It's still 18,000,003% better than any other sporting event they would have been showing at the time.

It's football, goddamn it. Gimme more.

9b054603c28e77372c9e84c90ee88dd1.gif289058d08a0fdbb1d60b7c1774e28ca4.jpgd3e56b2e113c3abe6ac36987ea9d8034.jpgd90694577114ceb39bd0a496e5980fc3.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1