SC girl is murdered after getting in wrong car

ajax

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Give each driver a magnetic sign that says "Uber" or "Lyft" to attach to the top of their car while they're working, just like a lot of delivery drivers use. It makes it extra hard for anyone to get in some rando's car and it's free advertising. 

Yeah I guess but it takes 2 seconds to be approved as an Uber/lyft driver.  Maybe they’ve started to vet better but it’s so easy that if someone wants to murder some girl via rideshare it’s gonna be tough to stop them.  Or via pretend rideshare.  

Not a bad idea.  Just playing devil’s advocate.  

36 minutes ago, po elvis said:

i could see a person who has been drinking fall for:

"they cancelled the other car. they assigned you to me now"

"i have been waiting for somebody for awhile. i can take you instead if you want."

Anyone who falls for that is literally probably too stupid to live independently. 

Also, the sign thing... Not sure if serious... Are some of you shut-ins? In the year 2019 how can someone not have ever seen a car with the Uber or Lyft sign in the windshield? 

Uber and lyft should want to always help drivers and riders find each other, as well as ensure the right person is in the car.  Not only for safety but to make the whole process run faster.

I’m sure that every Uber driver has had the wrong person jump in, and I’m guessing more than 1 has taken off with the wrong person in the car.  That screws up the system for the other Uber driver and rider who now have no idea what is going on.

add some operational/security features.  Make it optional so that the anti social justice warrior warriors don’t get upset.  Then move on.

On 4/2/2019 at 9:17 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There are always changes that can make an app better. Once again this is about PR not making people safer.

if I were Uber or Lyft I would be introducing a change before the other one did. Come up with some app or process change.  If just 5% of the women customers switched to you, it would be a huge revenue switch. 

One problem with the current method is that make/model of the car means nothing to some people especially at night and drunk. License plate is nice but it’s on the back and front of the vehicle.  Uber could create a Uber-license card that on the side window to compare to the app.  

Couldn’t the phones pair via Bluetooth once you’re close enough to each other to confirm driver and passenger? Rather than rely on the user, this would give positive confirmation passively.

What do I think Uber/Lyft ought to do to make their rides more safe?  I don’t have a one-off solution. Maybe there’s nothing. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to  have a conversation about it without some mouthbreathing swinging dicks proclaiming that this girl was just a stupid twat so boo fucking hoo if she got raped and murdered, and those calling for review and possible changes to the ride hailing process are just a bunch of pussies who won’t take responsibility for their own safety.

I’m not even necessarily assigning any blame or responsibility to Uber. But what in the goddam blue hell is the harm in exploring ways to minimize the chance that this kind of thing happens in the future?  And no, of course we are never going to make every product and every service idiot proof and foolproof. Shit happens. But just because we can’t protect everyone all the time doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to minimize risks and maximize safety where and when we can.

I get that all Shaggy posters are members of the Uber wealthy (hahah see what I did there?) 2% alpha male herd who bang only tens, have superior intelligence and never ever do dumbass things.  But by some of your logic we should have no standards or regulations or even laws because there will always be evil people who won’t follow them others who are statistically unlucky or maybe just stupid and clueless and fall prey no matter what.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still try. Hopefully most of y’all will live long enough to figure that out. 

• Like 3
  • Fuck You 2

15 hours ago, ztejas said:

The more I think about it, actually, the more I'm wondering what Uber/Lyft has to do with it at all. 

They've conditioned people to get into ordinary looking cars driven by strangers.  It would be harder to pass a personal car off as a taxi. 

I don't have any answers as to what else they should be doing to prevent this kind of thing.

12 minutes ago, Mole said:

Couldn’t the phones pair via Bluetooth once you’re close enough to each other to confirm driver and passenger? Rather than rely on the user, this would give positive confirmation passively.

You get an Uber notification that the driver is at the pick up spot from Uber now.  You can see their progress on a map. It's pretty in your face as it is.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WBT said:

They've conditioned people to get into ordinary looking cars driven by strangers.  It would be harder to pass a personal car off as a taxi. 

I don't have any answers as to what else they should be doing to prevent this kind of thing.

Really ?  That's what they've done ?  I'd say they've given maps,  text notifications, exact pick up locations, illuminated signs, vehicle and driver info, you can even pick the level of car service from basic to luxury, All of these things give them data to verify so they can get into the correct vehicle.

Some of the stuff I'm reading in these posts makes me wonder if people are capable of wiping their own arses.

Edited by Onboard 2.0
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

Give each driver a magnetic sign that says "Uber" or "Lyft" to attach to the top of their car while they're working, just like a lot of delivery drivers use. It makes it extra hard for anyone to get in some rando's car and it's free advertising. 

Uber already has a light that is mounted in the front window that says "Uber".  Hell, you can even change the color of the light from the passenger app, to help better identify the vehicle.  Uber/Lyft is doing plenty.  

Perhaps drivers should be made to identify themselves through the reveal of unique birthmarks, moles, vitiligo patches or other physical abnormalities. 

"Your driver, GARY, has a benign melanocytic nevus that is 7mm in diameter near the base of the left areola and in the approximate shape of the state of Delaware."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, WBT said:

You're right. I feel so conditioned. ALL HAIL THE GREAT LEADER!

Oops - sorry. That's been happening a lot lately. DEATH TO THE PROLETARIAT!

Shit, there it goes again. 

18 hours ago, clapclapclap said:
I also grab the first spot at the edge of the big box parking lot for similar reasons, plus getting to feel smugly superior to the lazy lemmings that circle around and waste time hunting for the social prize of that closest to the door space.  Enjoy Diabetes, you vain silly hens!

• Like 1

The system is fine the way it is.  Everyone wanting to make changes is retarded and has no idea how the system works; it’s obvious.  This is so much like the gun control debate.  Bunch of damn retards wanting to overlegislate and create the nanny state.  Fuck out of here. 
Exactly. The plate number is the only way to identify the correct vehicle. Everyone in SFO drives a fucking prius.

What do I think Uber/Lyft ought to do to make their rides more safe?  I don’t have a one-off solution. Maybe there’s nothing. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be able to  have a conversation about it without some mouthbreathing swinging dicks proclaiming that this girl was just a stupid twat so boo fucking hoo if she got raped and murdered, and those calling for review and possible changes to the ride hailing process are just a bunch of pussies who won’t take responsibility for their own safety.
 I’m not even necessarily assigning any blame or responsibility to Uber. But what in the goddam blue hell is the harm in exploring ways to minimize the chance that this kind of thing happens in the future?  And no, of course we are never going to make every product and every service idiot proof and foolproof. Shit happens. But just because we can’t protect everyone all the time doesn’t mean we shouldn’t try to minimize risks and maximize safety where and when we can.
I get that all Shaggy posters are members of the Uber wealthy (hahah see what I did there?) 2% alpha male herd who bang only tens, have superior intelligence and never ever do dumbass things.  But by some of your logic we should have no standards or regulations or even laws because there will always be evil people who won’t follow them others who are statistically unlucky or maybe just stupid and clueless and fall prey no matter what.  That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t still try. Hopefully most of y’all will live long enough to figure that out. 

When most people say we should have a conversation they really mean “shut up and listen to me.”

People make mistakes. It sometimes gets them killed. It doesn’t mean they were an idiot.

It is a horrific crime.

Uber already has a system in place to minimize this type of crime. They offer you the location tracking, sticker, the picture of the driver, color, make and model of the car and the license plate. You have available to you 7 points of verification. Outside of a big ass roof sign similar to those old Pizza delivery signs, there is little else they can do. Because a bad guy could mimic that one easily (as well as the sticker)

I don’t need more warning labels to ignore. They don’t need a sign that says standing on a train track could be hazardous to your health.

And just so you know the entire concept of alpha male was incorrect and an error the originator of the term tried to correct it and stop people from believing in his mistake.
  • Like 1

Uber already has a light that is mounted in the front window that says "Uber".  Hell, you can even change the color of the light from the passenger app, to help better identify the vehicle.  Uber/Lyft is doing plenty.  
But one woman made a mistake. So this is an issue and we need to take action against Uber and Lyft!!
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, M12BH said:

My suggestion....the Uber or Lyft app, once engaged, will immediately disable all other phone functions such as text messages, twitter, Instagram, facebook, etc so the rider can not be distracted by other forms of smartphone media.  This helps/forces the rider be solely focused on the task at hand which should be identifying the car make/model and license plate number of the driver on the way to pick them up.

I realize not using social media for the 5 mins it takes for the car to arrive is a pretty heavy ask but we're talking individual safety here....

For the record, I'm not suggesting poor Samantha was in any way distracted and had any responsibility for what happened to her.

Edited by gecko

30 minutes ago, gecko said:

My suggestion....the Uber or Lyft app, once engaged, will immediately disable all other phone functions such as text messages, twitter, Instagram, facebook, etc so the rider can not be distracted by other forms of smartphone media.  This helps/forces the rider be solely focused on the task at hand which should be identifying the car make/model and license plate number of the driver on the way to pick them up.

I realize not using social media for the 5 mins it takes for the car to arrive is a pretty heavy ask but we're talking individual safety here....

For the record, I'm not suggesting poor Samantha was in any way distracted and had any responsibility for what happened to her.

Is this post serious or a joke?  So I can't order my uber to airport and continue to check work emails, text my wife, etc. while I"m waiting because one girl didn't use one of the multiple existing forms of verification available?  Yeah, sorry but your idea sucks.  The percentage of uber/lyft rides to wasted people at 3AM that are too focused on instagram instead of confirming the correct car is a pretty small percentage of overall rides.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3

T

19 minutes ago, Nivek said:

When most people say we should have a conversation they really mean “shut up and listen to me.”

People make mistakes. It sometimes gets them killed. It doesn’t mean they were an idiot.

It is a horrific crime.

Uber already has a system in place to minimize this type of crime. They offer you the location tracking, sticker, the picture of the driver, color, make and model of the car and the license plate. You have available to you 7 points of verification. Outside of a big ass roof sign similar to those old Pizza delivery signs, there is little else they can do. Because a bad guy could mimic that one easily (as well as the sticker)

I don’t need more warning labels to ignore. They don’t need a sign that says standing on a train track could be hazardous to your health.

And just so you know the entire concept of alpha male was incorrect and an error the originator of the term tried to correct it and stop people from believing in his mistake.

Thank you for enlightening me. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.  I wish I had known before now that the motivations of most people who seek dialogue are so selfish and insidious.  Seems you'd be very happy living on some island or in some other isolated area where everyone abides by your rules, your definitions, your conditions under which one should be offended,  and with you as sole arbiter of what constitutes reasonable care. In such a case I would wish you all the best as grand Poobah of your fiefdom.  I'm sure it would be a Shangri-la of beautiful, intelligent, reasonable people who exist three standard deviations to the right of the bell curve mean.  

• Fuck You 1

it's already been highlighted in this thread, but rideshare companies doing something in this situation is far less about practicality and 100% about PR. 

it's a smart move, even if the ultimate action is feeble. even if it isn't their fault this happened. 

you get the fuck out in front of a situation like this, because the safety of the drivers and passengers is the ultimate in a market like this.

it's like plane travel. they had to ground the 737 max and attempt to fix the issue that killed a couple hundred people, even if statistically, that's less than a percent of daily traffic. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Skipper said:

Is this post serious or a joke?  So I can't order my uber to airport and continue to check work emails, text my wife, etc. while I"m waiting because one girl didn't use one of the multiple existing forms of verification available?  Yeah, sorry but your idea sucks.  The percentage of uber/lyft rides to wasted people at 3AM that are too focused on instagram instead of confirming the correct car is a pretty small percentage of overall rides.

This.  Let's take it further, and in a situation that is likely to kill far, far more people.  When your smart phone detects you are driving all email and text functions--anything that could possibly distract you, are disabled.  And too bad if you are a passenger--the stakes are too high and too many people would be saved by the feature.  

uber and lyft should have signs on/in the cars which show the name of the company, and then a specific unique transaction code for that ride.  that same transaction code should be provided to the rider.  the rider can easily see which car/sign displays that code.  this will solve all the getting into the wrong car bullshit.  

an extra step for security is to use NFC on the phones for the rider to tap the sign with their phone to enable the ride and fare.  no NFC confirmation, no ride from the driver because he's not getting paid.

Edited by crash_davis

10 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

uber and lyft should have signs on/in the cars which show the name of the company, and then a specific unique transaction code for that ride.  that same transaction code should be provided to the rider.  the rider can easily see which car/sign displays that code.  this will solve all the getting into the wrong car bullshit.  

A specific combination of unique letters and numbers used to identify the vehicle the person should get into that is displayed on both the app and the vehicle?  Great idea

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

an extra step for security is to use NFC on the phones for the rider to tap the sign with their phone to enable the ride and fare.  no NFC confirmation, no ride from the driver because he's not getting paid.

If you want a really quick way to lose my business it would be requiring I use bluetooth or NFC to use your service. 

I'd rather walk, thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gecko said:

Please tell me you aren't serious...

Edited by Vic Mackey

30 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Or, you know, send the people the make/model of the vehicle, the driver's picture and the license plate number....Oh yeah, they already do this.

99.99% of people get into the correct rideshare vehicle. You aren't ever going to fix careless decisions and stupidity. Uber/Lyft does all they can to assure you are getting into the vehicle you ordered.

• Like 1

license plate, transaction code, whatever.  have a sign that shows you are a driver of said company, and with your license plate on that sign.  only uber and lyft can edit the sign which is hopefully decrease the fraud from buying/stealing signs.  

the current systems work for 99% of the time.  but like discussed in this thread, it's about idiot proofing for drunk people.

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Wouldn't making changes now look not-so-great in the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit that her family is going to file against Lyft?

They don't need to make any changes. They've done a good job of creating a pretty safe system for identifying the driver, the vehicle (make and color), the license plate number, and the pick up location. Exactly what else can they do ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

They don't need to make any changes. They've done a good job of creating a pretty safe system for identifying the driver, the vehicle (make and color), the license plate number, and the pick up location. Exactly what else can they do ?

See the myriad suggestions in this thread.

2 hours ago, crash_davis said:

They should have to paint all their cars yellow and put the glowing sign on top of the car!  They could make the sign illuminated when the car is looking to pick someone up.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ABSR said:

They should have to paint all their cars yellow and put the glowing sign on top of the car!  They could make the sign illuminated when the car is looking to pick someone up.

There should be a federal law that light on, means available, light off means occupied for all cabs in all cities.  Why we allow it to be different in different cities is a travesty.  Congress must act!!! (no CR).

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Wouldn't making changes now look not-so-great in the inevitable wrongful death lawsuit that her family is going to file against Lyft?

Generally it is public policy to support remedial measures so they try to keep that out of trials.   It still slips in sometimes, though.

Rule 407. Subsequent Remedial Measures

When measures are taken that would have made an earlier injury or harm less likely to occur, evidence of the subsequent measures is not admissible to prove:

• negligence;
  • culpable conduct;
  • a defect in a product or its design; or
  • a need for a warning or instruction.

But the court may admit this evidence for another purpose, such as impeachment or — if disputed — proving ownership, control, or the feasibility of precautionary measures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, M12BH said:

T

Thank you for enlightening me. Sounds like you've got it all figured out.  I wish I had known before now that the motivations of most people who seek dialogue are so selfish and insidious.  Seems you'd be very happy living on some island or in some other isolated area where everyone abides by your rules, your definitions, your conditions under which one should be offended,  and with you as sole arbiter of what constitutes reasonable care. In such a case I would wish you all the best as grand Poobah of your fiefdom.  I'm sure it would be a Shangri-la of beautiful, intelligent, reasonable people who exist three standard deviations to the right of the bell curve mean.  

I'm only saying this because I care, there are a lot of decaffeinated brands on the market today that are just as tasty as the real thing.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

99.99% of people get into the correct rideshare vehicle. You aren't ever going to fix careless decisions and stupidity. Uber/Lyft does all they can to assure you are getting into the vehicle you ordered.

I'm guessing it's less than 99.99%. People are idiots. I have had someone grab my Uber/Lyft ride 3 times out of my last 10 rides. One was a neighbor 2 houses next to me.

Drivers can also do better insuring the correct rider gets in the car.

On 4/2/2019 at 2:02 PM, M12BH said:

Not to go all male privilege on your collective asses but this is example #3,247,898 of shit most of y'all don't have to worry about that some of us do.  I mean, God forbid we females should be able to go out drinking and having a good time without having to be hypervigilant about being raped and murdered just because we were distracted or drunk and mistook the wrong car for our ride.  I mean, I have seen some of you fuckers BRAG about doing shit a lot more infantile and idiotic than that, and give high fives all around. "Oh, hahaha, we were so fucking smashed, hahahaha!  Oh, too bad I wasn't there, sounds like it would have been a riot!"  Yeah, 99.99% of the time it turns out fine for everyone.  Until it doesn't.  Is it so much of a goddam burden to talk about things that Uber and Lyft might be able to do to mitigate the possibility of something like this happening again? Or to create additional visibility around the issue so that people know that, you know, it's an issue?  Or is it just so much easier to just call the girl a dumbass and the father a whiny bitch and move on?  Jesus H. in a sidecar.   

God forbid I should be able to be part of my sons life instead of dealing with his mother whos fighting me not to be in it, because like the asshole that killed this girl, she's a selfish asshole too.

There's a 1000 men in the world tonight, who will go to work, in many cases to support a family, including a wife who doesn't have to work either because she doesn't need/want to or stays home with the kids.  Many of those 1000 won't come home because something at their job carries an inherent risk that they either know or don't know about, but nonetheless can lead to them being injured or killed.   

It's up to an individual to not put themselves at risk.  She didn't have to go out, meet friends, drink, text, whatever the fuck she did.  But she did, and when she did she took the risk.  Be fucking aware of your surroundings and you mitigate the possibilities of dying yourself.  Why the fuck rely on someone else to do what you can already do yourself?  Why fly the plane when autopilot can do it for you?  

Men/women do stupid shit and live/die.  Don't do stupid shit, don't win stupid prizes.  It really is that fucking easy.

Case in point, I'm in Dallas last weekend and I find a place 3 miles from where I am that has .20 less gas than what I'm seeing around me, so I drive the 3 miles to fucking save the money.  Not being aware of the area, I don't realize what a shithole area it is that I'm in, until after I've already started fueling the truck.  Obviously nothing happened, but if it had, well shit, that's on me now isn't it.  

Life ain't that fucking hard.  Keep your head on a swivel.  Don't do stupid shit.  Get your head out of your phone.  MAKE A GOTDAMN PLAN.

• Like 2