Game of Thrones Season 8 (Bookfags unite)

Michael Knight

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

How about overconfident? They probably believe d Cersei was holed up in kings landing waiting for an attack.

Also no one ever said they had military geniuses.

And how many times in REAL war have there been sneak attacks despite actually smart tacticians knowing they could be coming and still get caught surprised?

Dany is in a hurry to get this done because the longer this ferments, the more likely Jon or someone in his faction pushes the claim.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

Why would you split your army in half

That is fair, from Time immemorial tsu tzu (so?) and others say don’t do that. But from a story perspective, we aren’t dealing with geniuses, just the smartest best available. 

I get why we had the Tyrion and Varys “who should we support” discussion, but I can’t see Varys be that stupid to basically proclaim he would support Jon over Dany. You could argue Tyrion not telling Dany is indirectly supporting it.

Varys has been clear to Tyrion since day one he served the realm more than any king. It’s in character for him to continue to do so.

As for Tyrion he obviously has doubt.

35 minutes ago, Drew said:

Varys has been clear to Tyrion since day one he served the realm more than any king. It’s in character for him to continue to do so.

As for Tyrion he obviously has doubt.

Has he been that clear? He swore to Dany that he wouldn’t conspire behind her back, and she threatened to burn him alive if he did.  And his speech that he promised to tell her when she’s making a mistake aligned to that promise but talking about backing Jon is violating that vow.

During the scene in front KL walls anyone else think the dragon on the back was no further away then the ones getting shot out of the sky. If Danny is going to burn down the red keep and or eurons fleet she needs to do it at night

Show should be changed to How to Paint Yourself Into a Corner Through Bad Writing.

It's honestly kind of amazing to watch.  It hasn't just been one bad decision here or there.  It has been a chain of them since Season 5 that has led us to this.  One domino knocking down another until the WWs and the NK ain't shit and Queen Crazy Eyes and her Fuckboi Pirate are the end boss.  And we're really gonna go with the whole "Dany turns evil!" shit. 

George, buddy.  For fucks sake please finish Winds of Winter.

• Like 3

Oh well, the last couple of seasons have not been as good but they probably faced the same problems the fat man did. They had an ending but did not really know how to structure the lead up to it. So I can forgive them for making some mistakes. I still will miss the fuck outta this show, when it is over.

• Like 1

Could they at least have bothered to give Gendry the correct last name?  Dude was born in King's Landing.  He specifically tells Davos he was born in Flea Bottom.  There was the entire scene where all of Robert's bastards are getting killed in King's Landing and that's why he has to bail with Yoren and Arya for the Wall.  His bastard name would be Waters, not Rivers.  At best it would be Storm since his pops was King Baratheon.  But fucking Rivers?

As if we needed more evidence they aren't even fucking trying at this point. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Barry_McCokiner said:

Why send everyone through the front door?

Why travel on open water when the enemy's navy is their greatest strength? They could march their whole army uncontested down to KL.

Edit to add: This season feels more rushed than season 2 of Rome. At least Rome had an excuse AND still pulled off great television.

Edited by Eastwood

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Has he been that clear? He swore to Dany that he wouldn’t conspire behind her back, and she threatened to burn him alive if he did.  And his speech that he promised to tell her when she’s making a mistake aligned to that promise but talking about backing Jon is violating that vow.

*gasp*. Broken vows.  Oh no

This show is dumb now.

Used to be when characters did dumb shit they died for it. Now the heroes constantly do dumb shit and get their army fucked up, then by next episode they have an army again and do more dumb shit. How many times are they going to let themselves be surprised by dumbass Euron?

Apparently half the army survived last episode?

Bronn scene was a joke.

Rhaegal got taken out by cartoon villain Euron firing a scorpion that can shoot around corners?

Jon just gives Ghost away, wtf?

They hold a parlay within range of Cersei, and she doesn’t try to kill them all?

At least my expectations for the last 2 episodes are really low.

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, elguapo said:

Rhaegal got taken out by cartoon villain Euron firing a scorpion that can shoot around corners?

I couldn't get over this scene. Scorpion that is powerful/accurate enough to shoot out of view hundreds of feet into the air without the dragon/rider seeing a giant fleet of black ships. They all hit with deadly accuracy even after the first hit that would've changed the dragon's location/speed. Suddenly when the bigger dragon is much closer and flying at a better angle they all miss. And since scorpions take forever to load it nice of her to pull up and not scorch them while they're reloading.

• Like 5

Wasn't a fan of this one. When Dany looks like she might sell one of her dragons to the slavemaster it was a sad moment. When the NK kills one it was gut-wrenching. Then the 2 remaining fight an epic battle against their zombie brother and survive. Then Negan of the Sea shows up and takes one out like it's nothing. We're left feeling almost nothing because of the way they did it. 5 seconds later everyone is in KL and every single one of us knew they were gonna execute Missandei as soon as that scene started. 

And for those who are like "but they only have x episodes left to get this all done", who's decision was it to get this all done in so few episodes? The same assholes writing it. 

• Like 5

By the end of WW2, there were no missile technologies on earth that were more deadly than Euron's crossbows. All the Soviet army's Katyusha rockets couldn't have done anything like that to the dragon or those ships.  On top of that, the Iron Fleet has discovered Klingon cloaking technology.

The dragon death happened so suddenly that I was seriously wondering if maybe Dany was having a dream.  

Edited by Bojack
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, NorthLoop said:

I honestly thought that for a second too though I thought it was Tyrion's dream. 

i assumed it was legit right off the bat because D&D had foreshadowed the shit out of Grey Worm & Mmissandei  being way, way too happy with each other on the ship.  

I actually had the mental thought of... wow, thats the kind of scene where one of them gets killed in the next episode.... I didnt imagine she would be wacked so soon though.

The great bard Lee Roy of House Parnell of Abilene predicted all this shit.
Dany, Jon, and Hound-Arya

There's a sad, young wife
Never had a life
Her mother said she'd married young
And her husband's a fool
Never listened to
All the things she's never done
So she packs up that ol' Ford Fairlane
She's had about all she can bear
A suitcase, a hope, and a hard rain
She's gonna find it all somewhere

On the road

Where the night is black
On the road
Where you don't look back
There's a white line in the distance
Where it's goin' nobody knows
If it's anywhere, you'll find it

On the road

There's a teenage kid
No matter what he did
Nobody ever understands
And he don't measure up
And he's had enough
Can't be his Daddy's little man
So he pulls out that hot rod Chevy
Puts in his favorite cassette
He ain't goin' to no college
The world is waitin' up ahead

On the road

Where the night is black
On the road

On the road

Eddie and Jill got time to kill
The kids, they never come around
And a gold-plated watch was all he got
When the company shut his life down
So he takes down that old Airstream
They don't know where they're bound
Sixty five years and still searching
For somethin' that they never found

On the road

Where the night is black
On the road
On the road
On the road
On the road[/Quote]

The problem is that the good guys have a shapeshifter, a telepath, and (until last night) a pair of F-16s. If the writers really let them use them to max potential then the show would be over. So they have to create tension and drama by making it seem like the bad guys have a chance.

The bad guys have a slow moving XL zombie and Queen PMS as their only differentiators.

How long does it take for an army to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing?  Maybe 3 or 4 months?  Seems like this show has gotten really stupid on me the size of Westeros and the difficulty of moving forces around. 

That’s not new. This board has bitched about “teleporting” for years.

It beats hundreds of pages of detail about slogging across Westeros.

48 minutes ago, Colonel Sanders said:

How long does it take for an army to travel from Winterfell to King's Landing?  Maybe 3 or 4 months?  Seems like this show has gotten really stupid on me the size of Westeros and the difficulty of moving forces around. 

GRRM specifically mentioned no distances so that he could avoid arguments about how long travel takes

Yeah. I give zero shits about teleporting. It is part of GRRMs writing style, and goes back to S1. Even in the books you don’t know if 4mins or 4 weeks have passed between each characters’ chapter.

Aside from putting up giant “2 weeks later. DragonStone” title blocks or a “24” chime and clock I’m not sure what the illiterates are looking for.

• Like 1

Yeah. I give zero shits about teleporting. It is part of GRRMs writing style, and goes back to S1. Even in the books you don’t know if 4mins or 4 weeks have passed between each characters’ chapter.

Aside from putting up giant “2 weeks later. DragonStone” title blocks or a “24” chime and clock I’m not sure what the illiterates are looking for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

That’s not new. This board has bitched about “teleporting” for years.

It beats hundreds of pages of detail about slogging across Westeros.

Yeah, I'm gonna let all of that go.  The "real' problem (for those that want to let timelines bother them) is Cersei's pregnancy from a timeline perspective (unless Westerosi gestation is on a different timeline).  I can get behind the idea it's a month or two from everyone leaving Winterfell to them being at the gates of KL and maybe 2-3 months since the battle with the dead.   They don't need to overtly tell me that.  Just presume it.  But I guess Cersei should be showing?  Ultimately, I don't care.  Sue me for not being that critical of a watcher.  And given that presumptive time lapse, Cersei and Euron would know the North won the battle and through some combo of spies and ravens that they were on the way down.  

Some other thoughts:

- The one thing that jumped out to me last night as a "mistake" was that there was no shot of Euron when Tyrion mentioned the pregnancy.  Perhaps it is public knowledge now as time would have lapsed between Euron returning from killing Rhaegal and Dany forming up outside KL.  But that one did seem like a miss.  I just wish he would have said "Jamie's Baby"

- Jamie is going to get to KL about the same time Dany attacks I imagine which will set people off.  I get it.  My theory with him is that he is going to become the Queenslayer as well to prevent Cersei from letting Dany burn it all down.  The twist there of course is which queen?

- Similarly, I am not sure whether Arya has plans for Cersei/Mountain, or Dany at this point.

- Bronn kills Tyrion in a shocking Departed style manner in last episode.  Highly unlikely, but if it happens, you heard it here first.

17 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

Also, why not fly behind the ships and burn them? It's not like they can turn on a dime.

This one got me the most.  I was like, "OK, they got that dragon.  So now she's going to circle around and just take this idiot out, right?"  That, and Cersei not ending everything with her nukes when she had the chance.

19 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

18 minutes ago, Llano Estacado said:

If it weren't for the timestamps, I wouldn't have known if you made these posts back to back, or 2 weeks apart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SimonBolivar said:

I couldn't get over this scene. Scorpion that is powerful/accurate enough to shoot out of view hundreds of feet into the air without the dragon/rider seeing a giant fleet of black ships. They all hit with deadly accuracy even after the first hit that would've changed the dragon's location/speed. Suddenly when the bigger dragon is much closer and flying at a better angle they all miss. And since scorpions take forever to load it nice of her to pull up and not scorch them while they're reloading.

I need to go back and watch again as I watched after all day boozing before/at Stars game so this could be off, but even suspending reality on the ridiculousness of that scene and taking for granted that these weapons are powerful enough to take out the dragon in the fashion that it did, then why does Daenerys and the rest of her team remain so confident they can't take Kings Landing now down a dragon? I mean it's pretty clear she is significantly outnumbered and her only advantage is the dragon, but if the dragon can be taken out that easily (and presumably these things are spread all over the walls of Kings landing to provide maximum defense), why are they acting like it's just a fact that if she chooses to burn Kings Landing (and innocent civilians) it's an automatic victory?  Seems 50/50 at best but the conflict from Daenery's and her advisors perspective doesn't appear to be "if" she will win but only how she should go about doing it (and if the fact she will win taking innocent lives means Jon would be the better King).

• Like 1

Just now, Skipper said:

I need to go back and watch again as I watched after all day boozing before/at Stars game so this could be off, but even suspending reality on the ridiculousness of that scene and taking for granted that these weapons are powerful enough to take out the dragon in the fashion that it did, then why does Daenerys and the rest of her team remain so confident they can't take Kings Landing now down a dragon? I mean it's pretty clear she is significantly outnumbered and her only advantage is the dragon, but if the dragon can be taken out that easily (and presumably these things are spread all over the walls of Kings landing to provide maximum defense), why are they acting like it's just a fact that if she chooses to burn Kings Landing (and innocent civilians) it's an automatic victory?  Seems 50/50 at best but the conflict from Daenery's and her advisors perspective doesn't appear to be "if" she will win but only how she should go about doing it (and if the fact she will win taking innocent lives means Jon would be the better King).

Dany is an idiot.  Her team may or may not think they can take it, but they're just following orders.

About last night...

• With the threat of the night king gone, we can get back to worry about first-kingdom problems.
  • The episode felt helter skelter to me, like the episode count constraints led them to rush through trying to set things up for the last two episodes.
  • Sansa and Dany cannot coexist.  One or the other will be gone by season's end.
  • Clegane bowl is a certainty
  • Is Arya going to King's Landing for a shot at Cersei or a shot at Dany?
  • A lot of wrap ups that were just meh (Gendry, Samwell/Gilly).  Except...
  • Tormund says adios, amigo, but you never know.  I hope that is spin-off foreshadowing.
  • Varys and Tyrion went from "We need to counsel Dany against fire and brimstone" to "Jon should be king and Dany may need to die" awfully fast.
  • Jaime got some of that giant's milk and promptly decided to run back to Cersei.  His wild swing back to his original nature could have used some additional time.
  • Euron vs Jaimie with Cersei picking one and the other dying is a certainty
  • Dany's dragons seem like the helicopters in Black Hawk Down.
  • Not sure about Tyrion's end.  Standard TV logic would dictate some kind of reckoning with Cersei.  The show has drifted towards standard TV as the distance between it and the books grows.
  • Is there any doubt now that Dany is going mad queen?

The wheel cannot be broken.  No matter who wins, they will be facing an insurgent challenge to the throne from somewhere, forever.  I have a feeling this is what the fat man communicated to D&D and they have been hamfisting their hollywood blockbuster into that amorphous framework ever since.  

I have questions:  1) can dragons swim; 2) would dragonglass work on someone like the mountain (or Jon) the same as the WWs?