Breaking news - Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris on fire

Armybrat

1 minute ago, Updawg said:
3 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:
The tower is close to 4 miles away from Notre Dame.   That seems shopped.

Yeah. That can't be right

It's not.  There are many photos from the parapets at ND looking out (usually with a gargoyle) at how far away the tower is.  Looking for one now.

1 hour ago, thestud said:

Damned Parisian Bomberos did a bangup job. Those boys deserve a raise or at least a nice snail dinner. Not to disparage the surly masses but very few here will ever understand or comprehend the amount of work and mental strategery that had to take place to achieve today’s outcome. The French deserve a lot of shit for a lot of things, but today they deserve a helluva commendation.

Yep. Lotta hard work & strategery. Nice job!

Paris Mayor Anne Hidalgo said in a tweet that historically significant artifacts and sacred items were saved from the fire.

"Thanks to the @PompiersParis, the police and the municipal agents," Hidalgo tweeted, "the Crown of Thorns, the Tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place."

It could be (probably is) a very zoomed in image from far away. The relative height of each building in the image would be proportional to its height. With Notre Dame spire at 300 ft, the Eiffel at 1000 ft, about 3x as tall, and the Eiffel looks about 3x as tall in that pic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

If they try to rebuild it the way it was, I wonder how much of the techniques have been lost over the centuries as different tools, materials, and techniques were developed. 

They don't know how to duplicate all of the stained glass 

Thank you to the @PompiersParis policemen and the municipal agents who have made this evening a tremendous human chain to save the works of #NotreDame. The Crown of thorns, the tunic of Saint Louis and several other major works are now in a safe place.

Edited by retread
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, BlueGreySky said:

While the whole story is tragic, there are going to be some motherfucking tales of heroism with these boys and what they did today. Look forward to hearing them.

I'm all outta rep, or I'd be repping this and a whole lot of other posts in here. Good stuff.

I gotta say those photos don't seem quite right to me either, but that could simply down to optical illusions, depth perception issues or compression you can get in some photos, making it look like some areas were very close to the fire when maybe they really weren't. I certainly expected more smoke damage...

ETA: Like pantone said just above...this is what I was thinking of too, but in relation to the interior pics, not the Eiffel shot..

It could be (probably is) a very zoomed in image from far away. The relative height of each building in the image would be proportional to its height. With Notre Dame spire at 300 ft, the Eiffel at 1000 ft, about 3x as tall, and the Eiffel looks about 3x as tall in that pic.

Edited by wood

7 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Hard to tell. It definitely looks a lot closer in that one pic.

Here are some more nice pics of Paris    https://www.instagram.com/ag_photographe/?hl=en

Looks really close in this one too. I assume that's Notre Dame (I have not been there)

56721727_584907518681226_346684729721773

Edited by retread
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BlueGreySky said:

I watch CNN once every 4 years just for shits and giggles.  Tonight, it's the only channel on appletv coving this that I can find.  And the anchor covering it is doing a bang-up job.  I'm pleasantly surprised.  It's good.  Real good.

Glad it got better. Earlier today it was silly.

8 minutes ago, PittsburghTiger said:

A good friend of mine just arrived in Paris today and she said they could see the fire from their hotel. She has not yet sent any pictures.

We're talking about pictures of her, right?

Because there are plenty of pictures of the Notre Dame inferno....so we are waiting

• Haha 1

The anchor that was doing it is now off and I'm switching channels.  He was a Catholic and was speaking from the heart.  For that hour it was the only topic they covered. 
Yeah he did good. I switched to BBC after he went off. Now flipping between that and hockey

3 hours ago, Whiskyteer said:

Wifey and I were at the Cathedral around noon today.   We heard first responders speeding by our hotel around 7:15 this afternoon.  By 7:30, we could see the flames through the thick smoke.  So sad for the people of Paris and for the Church.  There were hundred thousand folks lining both banks shocked and distraught.  So sad :(

So for the last 2,000+ years (the cathedral was built to celebrate Jesus’ first birthday) there haven’t been any problems at all, then, all of the sudden, you and that wife of yours show up and bam, the whole fucking place is in flames. 

thinkingemoji.gif 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

So for the last 2,000+ years (the cathedral was built to celebrate Jesus’ first birthday) there haven’t been any problems at all, then, all of the sudden, you and that wife of yours show up and bam, the whole fucking place is in flames. 

thinkingemoji.gif 

Parisians knee who Jesus was by his first birthday?

28 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

thinkingemoji.gif 

Probably because he uses the term wifey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, retread said:

Hard to tell. It definitely looks a lot closer in that one pic.

Here are some more nice pics of Paris    https://www.instagram.com/ag_photographe/?hl=en

Looks really close in this one too. I assume that's Notre Dame (I have not been there)

56721727_584907518681226_346684729721773

That one is fake too.  The moon is the size of Jupiter in that one.

2 hours ago, Updawg said:

I wonder how bad traffic screwed them. It started around 6:45 so that's got to be a terrible time.
Only bright side is the core looks ok and it can be renovated to better tech

Also. Sounds like they saved some art. I'm sure a ton was lost but hopefully they got some out.

Our technology may be better, but our building techniques are not necessarily better by any stretch.  There’s a reason it’s still standing and many of our buildings from the past 100 years are not.  

Our technology may be better, but our building techniques are not necessarily better by any stretch.  There’s a reason it’s still standing and many of our buildings from the past 100 years are not.  
Absolutely. But now they can put in safety system s.

It sucks losing the history of that roof.

1 hour ago, Trey3216 said:

Romans built roads still in use after 2,000 years.   

TxDOT can’t build a stretch of 35 between Austin and Dallas that’s good for more than 2 years.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Our building techniques commonpy used are not designed to withstand 800 years. That doesn't mean we aren't perfectly capable of engineering something designed to last 2000 years that looks the same. Our biggest setback would be lack of old growth timber with clean straigh wood.