Israel

SmokeyBear1861

1 minute ago, Sawbonz said:

Fuck him. His actions or omissions put my daughter in harm’s way today. She was in class in the six pack while that shit was happening

As a father of a daughter, I’m with you. Fuck him for putting students at risk. 

I hope she is ok 

• Hook 'Em 2

Ever since the Lege has begun micromanaging the state schools, it looks a hell of a lot like the hamfisted imposition of antiwoke ideology is doing to UT the exact same thing that it has been doing to Twitter since Elon started micromanaging it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

Oh, so the protesters' plan wasn't to disrupt class or whatever bullshit excuse they used to start arresting students? The DPS riot police were there to keep them away from the capitol so as not to embarrass our weak-kneed, spineless governor.

ISWYDT

Think about the one law enforcement agency and the one elected official in charge of them and his higher ed appointees who tacitly signed off on the real affront to the peaceful protest.  Through that lens, it reads like the grainy hostage video of man with a sword to his head.  UTPD gets sent out to shit like this all the time.  But notice, he didn't say a fucking word about DPS, Abbott, or the Board of Regents.  He talks more about the Dean of Students than he does the state troopers that beat kids to the ground.  This is all on Abbott and his puppet masters

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, BrickHorn said:

Or Hartzell could grow a pair and speak up in defense of his students. 

Yes, he could.  And loves the students.  But every time in the next few weeks, somebody demands his resignation...it just deflects from the fact that this was 99% the doing of Abbott, Eltite, and Longoria.  Jay will just end up being the fall guy to make the true assholes in power remain shielded.  Jay can do better, but he's being setup to take the hit for this even though it was telegraphed from way up on high.  He's a man of integrity, he'll own this one way or the other.  My larger worry is he won't give up the goods on the folks up the food-chain that fucked him and our school on this. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

He's a man of integrity

My larger worry is he won't give up the goods on the folks up the food-chain that fucked him and our school on this. 

These two statements are incongruous. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, YGIFS said:

My larger worry is he won't give up the goods on the folks up the food-chain that fucked him and our school on this. 

Thats what I’m saying. You’re fucked either way, Jay. Why not grow a pair and stand up for what’s right, rather than carry water for authoritarian shitbags?

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

OK, so he is taking the disgrace route.

12 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Dear UT community,
This has been a challenging day for many. We have witnessed much activity we normally do not experience on our campus, and there is understandably a lot of emotion surrounding these events.

Today, our University held firm, enforcing our rules while protecting the Constitutional right to free speech. Peaceful protests within our rules are acceptable. Breaking our rules and policies and disrupting others’ ability to learn are not allowed. The group that led this protest stated it was going to violate Institutional Rules. Our rules matter, and they will be enforced. Our University will not be occupied.

The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus. People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse. The University did as we said we would do in the face of prohibited actions. We were prepared, with the necessary support to maintain campus operations and ensure the safety, well-being and learning environment for our more than 50,000 students.

We are grateful for the countless staff members and state and University law enforcement officers, as well as support personnel who exercised extraordinary restraint in the face of a difficult situation that is playing out at universities across the country. There is a way to exercise freedom of speech and civil discourse, and our Office of the Dean of Students has continued to offer ways to ensure protests can happen within the rules. The University of Texas will continue to take necessary steps so that all our University functions proceed without interruption.

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

What a fucking bitch ass motherfucker. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 4

Dear UT community,
This has been a challenging day for many. We have witnessed much activity we normally do not experience on our campus, and there is understandably a lot of emotion surrounding these events.

Today, our University held firm, enforcing our rules while protecting the Constitutional right to free speech. Peaceful protests within our rules are acceptable. Breaking our rules and policies and disrupting others’ ability to learn are not allowed. The group that led this protest stated it was going to violate Institutional Rules. Our rules matter, and they will be enforced. Our University will not be occupied.

The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus. People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse. The University did as we said we would do in the face of prohibited actions. We were prepared, with the necessary support to maintain campus operations and ensure the safety, well-being and learning environment for our more than 50,000 students.

We are grateful for the countless staff members and state and University law enforcement officers, as well as support personnel who exercised extraordinary restraint in the face of a difficult situation that is playing out at universities across the country. There is a way to exercise freedom of speech and civil discourse, and our Office of the Dean of Students has continued to offer ways to ensure protests can happen within the rules. The University of Texas will continue to take necessary steps so that all our University functions proceed without interruption.

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

Jay Hartzell is about to become a main character nationally.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

So who ordered the dean of students message yesterday if Hartzell didn’t have anything to do with this?

If he is just being told what to do and doesn’t agree with it then burn the house down.

13 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

Dear UT community,

Sincerely yours,

Jay Hartzell
President

IMG_4107.gif

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Prepare your anus 1

31 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, he's in a shit spot I do not envy.  I feel like that "Jesus Johnny" meme of like "I know we were trying culturally assimilate into the SEC, but Jesus, Jay!"  

My intimate UT bias aside, this one is gonna sting for awhile.  It does seem from some initial backchannels that telegraphed this from up on high and left Jay and J.B. holding their dicks until the last minute.  

This makes Gene Powell & Alex Cranberg look like progressive visionaries by comparison 

Bullshit.  This is an excellent opportunity to stand up for The University, the First Amendment, and push back against the abuses of the state and further expose the cowardice within our law enforcement and how they serve a political end.   

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captainant said:

These two statements are incongruous. 

Yeah, I realize that now that I typed it.  I'm just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He didn't handle this well, but it truly fell into his lap at the last minute, and he's trying to play janitor.  

This is Abbott, Longoria, and Eltife.  Down the line, up and sideways.  And Jay has to be the guy left holding the bag of shit even though he would have maintained a great UT administration.  And people will line up to suck Abbott's dick over this and spit on Jay as he walks out the tower with his personal effects in a cardboard box.  Because we're Texas.  And there is almost nothing we can't fuck up in the name of "Independence!" 

As Bob Dylan said "you're gonna have to serve somebody". We know who Jay serves. It's certainly not the students who he helped unleash the chicken shit DPS on. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, BrickHorn said:

And how did those cocksuckers catch wind of the plans of a UT student organization?

Same way several dozen DPS troopers in riot gear happened upon the site within minutes.  Even given the geographic proximity, a deployment like that without an advanced briefing doesn't "just happen."  This was set to occur last night/early this morning.  For performative purposes 

Same way several dozen DPS troopers in riot gear happened upon the site within minutes.  Even given the geographic proximity, a deployment like that without an advanced briefing doesn't "just happen."  This was set to occur last night/early this morning.  For performative purposes 

You’re not answering the question. Someone at UT had to tell those fucksticks what was about to happen. Abbott didn’t divine it himself. 

Edited by BrickHorn

Yeah, I realize that now that I typed it.  I'm just trying to give him the benefit of the doubt.  He didn't handle this well, but it truly fell into his lap at the last minute, and he's trying to play janitor.  
This is Abbott, Longoria, and Eltife.  Down the line, up and sideways.  And Jay has to be the guy left holding the bag of shit even though he would have maintained a great UT administration.  And people will line up to suck Abbott's dick over this and spit on Jay as he walks out the tower with his personal effects in a cardboard box.  Because we're Texas.  And there is almost nothing we can't fuck up in the name of "Independence!" 

Or…he could stand his ground, and fight for the people of Texas. Even though the odds are against him, he is outnumbered, and he is sure to fall. Because Texans know that by taking a public stand for what is right, knowing you will fall…is exactly how you win.

No chance of that happening, though. We are a state of unprincipled cowards now. It’s our brand.
  • Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

You’re not answering the question. Someone at UT had to tell those fucksticks what was about to happen. Abbott didn’t divine it himself. 

I don't know yet.  But you're right.  Something had to tip them off so they make their theatrical entry.  I'll ask around tomorrow.  But i think reasonable people can agree this was not done as some last-minute emergency call.  There would have been video or reports of hundreds of state troopers moving onto the campus in a rush.  Speedway is not a place anymore you can just quickly deploy a dozen troop carriers and squad cars in a few minutes.  This was telegraphed.  Politics and Lobo bullshit aside, just think of the logistics of how go get that many Troopers, stretched as thing as they are across the state to one single block of UT's campus within minutes, riot geared out, with single purpose and set of pre-established rules of engagement.  It's impossble, it cannot happen.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

I’m not buying that the President of the university was clueless about riot police from the state being sent in. Reading his statement reinforces to me that he knew ahead of time. This was clearly coordinated with UTPD and APD. I don’t believe for a second that DPS picked up the phone and called the chief of police at UT and said “off the record, on the QT and real hush hush we’re going to send in a bunch guys in riot gear tomorrow make sure you don’t tell anyone in administration.” The fact that the official statement is one of pure bootlicking is the icing on the cake. If he truly didn’t know, he could have said something to the effect that he’s sorry that things got escalated, yada, yada. He barely stopped short of calling DPS heroes and throwing up T&Ps for the guy that got bumped into by a journalist doing his job.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Persians are not Semitic.

Sorry if I lumped your defeated angry ass into it. 

Se·mit·ic
adjective
  1. 1. 
    relating to or denoting a family of languages that includes Hebrew, Arabic, and Aramaic and certain ancient languages such as Phoenician and Akkadian, constituting the main subgroup of the Afro-Asiatic family.

2. 2. 
    relating to the peoples who speak Semitic languages, especially Hebrew and Arabic.

9 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

Or…he could stand his ground, and fight for the people of Texas. Even though the odds are against him, he is outnumbered, and he is sure to fall. Because Texans know that by taking a public stand for what is right, knowing you will fall…is exactly how you win.

No chance of that happening, though. We are a state of unprincipled cowards now. It’s our brand.

Today's Texicans would not only surrender the Alamo, they would join Santa Anna

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, royiv said:

I’m not buying that the President of the university was clueless about riot police from the state being sent in. Reading his statement reinforces to me that he knew ahead of time. This was clearly coordinated with UTPD and APD. I don’t believe for a second that DPS picked up the phone and called the chief of police at UT and said “off the record, on the QT and real hush hush we’re going to send in a bunch guys in riot gear tomorrow make sure you don’t tell anyone in administration.” The fact that the official statement is one of pure bootlicking is the icing on the cake. If he truly didn’t know, he could have said something to the effect that he’s sorry that things got escalated, yada, yada. He barely stopped short of calling DPS heroes and throwing up T&Ps for the guy that got bumped into by a journalist doing his job.

Fair.  I think to your point, he must have had some inclination but not much of an idea of the scale of response.  Much will be fleshed out in the coming months but it seems like, for now, Abbott ordered it and let a few Regents in on the double-secret plan.  They dangled just enough to Jay and UTPD to make it go as "non-violently" as possible.  But I read Jay's statement as a hostage with a gun to his head just off-camera.  But to your point and others, he is absolutely gonna have to take the fall for this and may not walk away with job in tact.  The sucking off of Abbott and DPS makes this even worse considering their Uvalde & Border failures in the last two years.  Anyway, maybe Jay is more complicit than I'm willing to admit.  But I assure everyone, Eltife and Longoria were the operators in all of this.  

42 minutes ago, 1978horn said:

The protesters tried to deliver on their stated intent to occupy campus. People not affiliated with UT joined them, and many ignored University officials’ continual pleas for restraint and to immediately disperse.

I want to see the proof of all of this because I doubt there was any. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah, it's a shitty look and mishandled all the way around.  The more photos I'm looking at now seem like they purposely paused in front of signage as some kinda "fuck you" to the world.  

the 'coming in hot' thing is the most puzzling.  There's not much footage, if any, of them arriving on campus.  The Speedway pylons only dropped for a handful of vehicles, not enough for that many troopers to just "happen upon the scene."  I don't want to get all Qanon (too late, I know), but it appears at first glance that they were already in/around the pedestrian concourse before the protest got remotely 'heated' and then proceeded to escalate it, as you point out.  I am fairly confident in what some Regents' roles were in this.  And we know where Abbott's motivations lie.  I'm curious about what UTPD knew or didn't know, that's a head scratcher quite honestly.  I'm sure some worthless commission will be appointed over the summer to get to the bottom of this.  But I'm just looking at the timeline and the lack of footage of some massive troop transport arriving on campus all of the sudden and how nobody seemed to know anything about it until it was all underway.  

36 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

And how did those three catch wind of the plans of a UT student organization?

32 minutes ago, BrickHorn said:

From what was said earlier, the protest was announced at least a day earlier, and I think one of the announcements even mentioned that the administration knew the day before (the protestors made them aware of it in advance) and decided they weren’t going to allow it.

It was not a random antifa protest that blew up out of nowhere and the fact that DPS was in place before it even started shows that they knew.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Yeah, it's a shitty look and mishandled all the way around.  The more photos I'm looking at now seem like they purposely paused in front of signage as some kinda "fuck you" to the world.  

the 'coming in hot' thing is the most puzzling.  There's not much footage, if any, of them arriving on campus.  The Speedway pylons only dropped for a handful of vehicles, not enough for that many troopers to just "happen upon the scene."  I don't want to get all Qanon (too late, I know), but it appears at first glance that they were already in/around the pedestrian concourse before the protest got remotely 'heated' and then proceeded to escalate it, as you point out.  I am fairly confident in what some Regents' roles were in this.  And we know where Abbott's motivations lie.  I'm curious about what UTPD knew or didn't know, that's a head scratcher quite honestly.  I'm sure some worthless commission will be appointed over the summer to get to the bottom of this.  But I'm just looking at the timeline and the lack of footage of some massive troop transport arriving on campus all of the sudden and how nobody seemed to know anything about it until it was all underway.  

It’s staged fascist bullshit and there is no excuse.  None.   This is what Texas GOP and their enablers want.  Embrace it or not, man.  Stop stanning for these dipshits.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

It’s staged fascist bullshit and there is no excuse.  None.   This is what Texas GOP and their enablers want.  Embrace it or not, man.  Stop stanning for these dipshits.  

I'm not standing up for any of those assholes dude.  I'm trying to figure out who was left in the dark and who truly orchestrated this.  And who was caught in the middle.  We are going to be the national butt of jokes for a long while, and deservedly so, and I want to know who was in on it besides the usual suspects.  Lots of blame to go around, but I want to concentrate it if all possible.  

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

You straddle the fence enough, your junk is going to get yanked to high heaven. You best pick a side now, and be done, son.  

• Hook 'Em 5