Getting old sucks

Hate

2 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Thanks Horn 

I've not had to go through this sort of physical pain, at least not for such length of time. I can - sort of - imagine, but...

In short-term situations, something that helps is using the idea that it's very difficult to NOT think about or feel something. The classic example is "don't think about your left ankle", which of course leads directly to thinking about your left ankle. BUT... you can replace that thought by thinking about something else - your finger, your eyeball, your dick... lots of possibilities. The more concentration you can focus on that alternative, the less the main thing gets through. 

I've found a subject for that alternative that works for a lot of "don't think about X" issues. Try to feel your pulse in your feet. Sometimes your heartbeat is strong enough that it's easy, but in any event, it's there. It may take some time to feel it, but that's a Good Thing. Doesn't have to be a foot... hand, nose, ear. It's worth a shot.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex Long said:

I've not had to go through this sort of physical pain, at least not for such length of time. I can - sort of - imagine, but...

In short-term situations, something that helps is using the idea that it's very difficult to NOT think about or feel something. The classic example is "don't think about your left ankle", which of course leads directly to thinking about your left ankle. BUT... you can replace that thought by thinking about something else - your finger, your eyeball, your dick... lots of possibilities. The more concentration you can focus on that alternative, the less the main thing gets through. 

I've found a subject for that alternative that works for a lot of "don't think about X" issues. Try to feel your pulse in your feet. Sometimes your heartbeat is strong enough that it's easy, but in any event, it's there. It may take some time to feel it, but that's a Good Thing. Doesn't have to be a foot... hand, nose, ear. It's worth a shot.

That's a long way to say "relentlessly jerk off to take your mind off of everything else," but I'll allow it.

• Haha 2

The deodorant brand I've used for more than 30 years now struggles to cover me till the end of an active day.  Is that an olds thing, or is it more likely the bastards changed the formula?
It's time for the Old Spice challenge. Serious note, I use it and it's good shit, smells decent. I switched in my mid 30s and never looked back.

Signed,
Precious Degree user
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TexasHooch said:

The deodorant brand I've used for more than 30 years now struggles to cover me till the end of an active day.  Is that an olds thing, or is it more likely the bastards changed the formula?

image.jpeg.35f073bb3172be609e569c31616a2d62.jpeg

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, CycleTex87 said:

There’s a woman at work who uses all these natural remedies.  She smells “different“.  

I'll confess to ordering Lume.  My sister gave me all kinds of shit about it because the women at her gym have all switched and it smells like ass.

I like the shower gel, but good 'ole aluminum Old Spice FTW.

Edited by tigol
Mitchum or RX if you really have a problem.
  • Haha 1

On 3/25/2024 at 10:34 AM, Elvis said:

I hate this thread so much.  I got into a fight with my 14yo son Friday night.  Nothing malicous, just a sparring fight.  I pulled my punches but he didn't.  I think I have a broken rib.  

I was getting tired, so I worked him into the fence.  He didn't like being cornered.    He was so happy to get out of that corner, he didn't realize I was working him toward the pool.  PUSH!  SPLASH!

My ribs hurt.

Didn't realize you were JNip's dad.

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

On 4/3/2024 at 3:52 AM, tigol said:

I'll confess to ordering Lume.  My sister gave me all kinds of shit about it because the women at her gym have all switched and it smells like ass.

I like the shower gel, but good 'ole aluminum Old Spice FTW.

My spouse used to use Mitchum and now he uses Speedstick (sp?) but I splurged and got him a bottle of Chanel Allure cologne for his birthday and I don't care if he uses deodorant any more. That stuff is sex on skin right there. NTTAWT. At least for him anyway.

• Hook 'Em 1

My spouse used to use Mitchum and now he uses Speedstick (sp?) but I splurged and got him a bottle of Chanel Allure cologne for his birthday and I don't care if he uses deodorant any more. That stuff is sex on skin right there. NTTAWT. At least for him anyway.

At your age, isn’t the sexiest smell Ben Gay?

17 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

At your age, isn’t the sexiest smell Ben Gay?

Considering I'm a lot younger than your squeeze, Sela Ward, no it is not. However, I'm sure she won't mind if you need your bottle of Nugenix before you ring her up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I got the second shingles vaccine Thursday after work.  I took Friday off to recuperate but ended up having to drive my kids all over the place.  So my rest was sporadic.  I did manage to sleep in until 11 this morning and feel like myself again.  That vaccine is no fun from a side-effects perspective.  But I'll take it over actual shingles. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2024 at 7:07 PM, Gil Bang said:

I posted upthread about my Dupetryn's procedure.

Saw the hand doc today for my follow-up.  Doc says I may be the best outcome of his career.  Just fantastic results, particularly for a man of my "seniority". 

Cool , just don't go all Ray McKigney on everybody 

The shingles vaccine talk reminded to share this little nugget.  Came down with zombie eye (just one) a few weeks ago.  Got in to se an opthamologist and was diagnosed with uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of the eye).  Doc asked if I had ever had chicken pox, cold sores or shingles.  D -  All of the above.  So, they suspect that this is yet another iteration of the herpes zoster poking up its ugly head.  Antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops and Valtrex started.  Went away in a little less than a week.  Doc suggested I keep taking a lower dose of Valtrex for 3 months to try to knock the herpes as far back in the nooks and crannies as possible, but eventually, we will get to do something along these lines again.

Oh, and I have had the modern shingles vaccine, so yay?

Spoiler

You seriously want to see this?

Spoiler

Uveitis April 2024 close up.jpg

Edited by SurlyGator
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 4/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, dcbc said:

I got the second shingles vaccine Thursday after work.  I took Friday off to recuperate but ended up having to drive my kids all over the place.  So my rest was sporadic.  I did manage to sleep in until 11 this morning and feel like myself again.  That vaccine is no fun from a side-effects perspective.  But I'll take it over actual shingles. 

100% this. I ignored the "You're due for your shingles vaccine!" alert on MyChart... got actual shingles. Fuck that shit.

In other news, my mid-life crisis (two-thirds-life crisis?), that I thought I'd more or less put to bed, turns out to have just been in hiding, waiting to pounce. And it pounced hard. It's my own fault, really, but I'm not in a good place mentally right now.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

but I'm not in a good place mentally right now.

Definitely don't ignore that.  Mental health is health too.  The Surly collective can only do so much.  But we're mostly a bunch of lawyers, not doctors.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not me but my wife.  A month or so ago an ad came on TV about the Billy Joel deal at MSG - on tonight.  We both enjoy his music.  We spoke this afternoon about the show coming on later and maybe recording it.  A few hours later another ad comes on and she’s like “Hey there’s a Billy Joel deal on tonight!”  My mistake was to say something like no kidding we talked about this earlier.  Now she’s mad at me for making her feel bad.  This is a pattern I’ve seen the last few years that seems more common lately. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, dcbc said:

Definitely don't ignore that.  Mental health is health too.  The Surly collective can only do so much.  But we're mostly a bunch of lawyers, not doctors.

Surprisingly effective is getting exercise. I haven't been like I need to. I keep thinking about the other advantages and forgetting this.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

Not me but my wife.  A month or so ago an ad came on TV about the Billy Joel deal at MSG - on tonight.  We both enjoy his music.  We spoke this afternoon about the show coming on later and maybe recording it.  A few hours later another ad comes on and she’s like “Hey there’s a Billy Joel deal on tonight!”  My mistake was to say something like no kidding we talked about this earlier.  Now she’s mad at me for making her feel bad.  This is a pattern I’ve seen the last few years that seems more common lately. 

I see something similar with my wife lately.  We'll discuss something, come to a conclusion on a course of action, and then have to repeat the process every day until the action is completed.  It's getting to the point that I'm considering going to her next doctor's appointment with her to talk it over with both of them.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, CycleTex87 said:

4 minutes ago, Scheiss Meister said:

I see something similar with my wife lately.  We'll discuss something, come to a conclusion on a course of action, and then have to repeat the process every day until the action is completed.  It's getting to the point that I'm considering going to her next doctor's appointment with her to talk it over with both of them.

God bless both of you. That’s about the hardest thing in the world.

As someone wiser than me once said, “the end of a beautiful marriage is one spouse kneeling at the deathbed of the other.”

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Fucking left shoulder is getting progressively worse. Decided to start wearing the sling from last year when my right one took a shit. I really don't want to go through that again. Anyone had any success with regenerative therapy like QC Kinetics? I think I caught this before it would require surgery.

26 minutes ago, Hate said:

Anyone else have issues with their Achilles? I feel like my left one could snap at any time. I pretty much always have to wear shoes to keep it from hurting. 

Back in my running days, I had ongoing Achilles tendonitis.  I found that calf stretching was the key to recovery and prevention.  I went to a place to get deep tissue massage that used myofascial release.  It hurt like hell, but worked well.  Eventually, I learned ways to stretch my calf on my own to keep it from reoccurring.  Trigger point and night splints are both helpful. 

Sleeping can continue to exacerbate the condition because most people sleep with their feet pointed (think lying under the covers on your back) which leads to shortened calf muscles.  If you jump out of bed without stretching the calf a little first, your calf will tug on the Achilles tendon and you start the day with pain.   

Google "trigger point calf stretches" and you can find some videos that explain it better than me.

• Hook 'Em 1

Jerry has lots of good advice.  Stretch way more than you think you need to.  Low intensity, long duration, static calf stretches, both with your knee straight and with your knee bent.  The night splint might be worth every penny (also works wonders for plantar fassciitis as well).  But proper stretching is the biggest key.  You do NOT want that bad boy snapping on you!

• Hook 'Em 1

There is an easy, yet painful, stretch you can do anytime.   I tried to explain it to @troph once, but it's hard to put into words.  So I'll add a picture.

Start with your bad Achilles calf resting on top of your other knee.  With you calf pressed into your other knee, point your toes up and down 5 times.   Then rotate your foot around in circles 5 times each direction.  Move a couple inches to another location on your calf and repeat.  Keep repeating until you have covered the entire calf.   Make sure you get both inside and outside of your calf. 

20240421_094523.thumb.jpg.f3b9799e270c242ba658bedc8cceb7e3.jpg

• Like 1

One I've found particularly helpful is to take a baseball or softball (maybe a billiard ball - you do have a pool table in your man cave, right?), lay it on the desk. put your calf on the ball, and move it around until you find a sore spot. Once you've got that, press as hard as comfortable, and roll the ball. Check for other sore spots and repeat.

This came from a massage therapist who said he used it for runners quite effectively. 

Works for me.

• Like 1

On 4/13/2024 at 4:35 PM, SurlyGator said:

The shingles vaccine talk reminded to share this little nugget.  Came down with zombie eye (just one) a few weeks ago.  Got in to se an opthamologist and was diagnosed with uveitis (inflammation of the middle layer of the eye).  Doc asked if I had ever had chicken pox, cold sores or shingles.  D -  All of the above.  So, they suspect that this is yet another iteration of the herpes zoster poking up its ugly head.  Antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops and Valtrex started.  Went away in a little less than a week.  Doc suggested I keep taking a lower dose of Valtrex for 3 months to try to knock the herpes as far back in the nooks and crannies as possible, but eventually, we will get to do something along these lines again.

Oh, and I have had the modern shingles vaccine, so yay?

Reveal hidden contents

You seriously want to see this?

Hide contents

Uveitis April 2024 close up.jpg

Update? One of my patients went blind after getting shingles in one of their eyes. 

• Prepare your anus 1

4 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Update? One of my patients went blind after getting shingles in one of their eyes. 

Oh, all good.  I didn't actually have shingles in the eye, just some sort of aggrivation of the middle layer of the eye that they think was likely brought on by the virus.  Don't you put that eye shingles evil on me Ricky Bobby!

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/21/2024 at 1:56 AM, RPM said:

Anyone had any success with regenerative therapy like QC Kinetics?

Asking again. Anyone have any experience with this type of therapy?

On 4/21/2024 at 1:46 PM, HRSchenker said:

Nightmare fuel right there. That should be the lead for getting people to get the shingles vaccine. "Prevent blindness, get the shingles vaccine today"

• Hook 'Em 1

Not sure of the brands available to you, but look for gummies that have cbd/cbn/th, in at least a 1:1:1 ratio (example: 10mg cbd, 10mg cbn, 10mg thc.)

Eat a nibble of something first (like a snack size chocolate, piece of cheese, etc) as that will help give some fats for the gummy to bind with and absorb a little better.

Also try to chew them up as thoroughly as possible. Try to liquify it. That speeds it up too. 

I can get mine kicking-in in less than 30 minutes if I want to. Most nights it’s 45min, give or take. 

• Like 1