Who has an American flag flying outside?

Here.  

I highly recommend the flags from Austin Flag and Flagpole.  The one I have flies almost always (24/7 I have a light for it) and in 3 years it's only now starting to rip, and that's 3 years of a lot of wear and tear.  In fact, the only reason I'm getting a new one this year (will order just before July 4) is that this one's bleached out.  It was so well stitched/constructed that it's avoided fraying or getting holes on the end until just recently.

A 5'X8' is a pretty big flag - make sure whatever it's on can fully support it - those things generate a ton of torque and pull in a wind - they can snap a flagpole pretty easily!  I have a 3'X5' which is pretty standard size.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, phdhorn said:

Here.  

I highly recommend the flags from Austin Flag and Flagpole.  The one I have flies almost always (24/7 I have a light for it) and in 3 years it's only now starting to rip, and that's 3 years of a lot of wear and tear.  In fact, the only reason I'm getting a new one this year (will order just before July 4) is that this one's bleached out.  It was so well stitched/constructed that it's avoided fraying or getting holes on the end until just recently.

A 5'X8' is a pretty big flag - make sure whatever it's on can fully support it - those things generate a ton of torque and pull in a wind - they can snap a flagpole pretty easily!  I have a 3'X5' which is pretty standard size.

Agree on AF&F.  I buy their heavy duty US and Texas flags for use at the coast.  I think it's called TEXTUFF or something similar.  Usually have to replace due to fading before fraying.  I get the 3 X 5 and don't know if they do 5 X 8 in that material.

Edited by abuelo gringo
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, markstanco said:

Need recs on one. I need to get one for my bario's entrance. 5X8. Looking to see if any of you have found a brand that lasts longer than others.

i know you fairly well, so i know what you are really wanting

83525-1.jpg?resizeid=19&resizeh=277&resi

40 minutes ago, abuelo gringo said:

Agree on AF&F.  I buy their heavy duty US and Texas flags for use at the coast.  I think it's called TEXTUFF or something similar.  Usually have to replace due to fading before fraying.  I get the 3 X 5 and don't know if they do 5 X 8 in that material.

They do have a 5X8 in the two ply, ordered. 

40 minutes ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Aggy would be shocked this is a topic on this forum or any sip forum. They think anyone associated with UT, honors the old Soviet Union flag followed by whatever outlaw regime which makes news such as North Korea, The Taliban, etc. Oh and a flag with Che Guevara’s image on it.

Now to be fair it is a good looking flag.

22 minutes ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Is it me or are there not as many Texas flags flying as there used to be? Seems like when I was a kid every business had a Texas flag flying 
Is it the influx of Yankees that caused this?

tons of them are flying in Chile

2 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I have a Texas flag flying outside.  Got it from the legislature for my birthday.  Flew over the State Capitol.  Call your state senator.

You can do the same thing for a US flag if you're tight with your rep.

You can also just order them online. They make great wedding presents. 

https://flags.house.texas.gov/Order/SelectFlag

• Like 2

FYI, my son is a vexillologist, in case you have any questions.  Funny story, he called a photographer out during an art show one time.  He claimed a picture he was showing was taken in some little village, i think he said italy...my son asked why there was a flag of zenica-doboj canton in the background.  Laughed my ass off as my 12 year old walked off eating his ice cream. 

3 hours ago, TXLNGHRN10 said:

Is it me or are there not as many Texas flags flying as there used to be? Seems like when I was a kid every business had a Texas flag flying 

Compared to other states, you certainly see more folks here flying the state flag side by side with the American flag...  Or by itself.

41 minutes ago, 4th&Five said:

You can also just order them online. They make great wedding presents. 

https://flags.house.texas.gov/Order/SelectFlag

For U.S. flags, you can both order a flag that's been flown over the U.S. Capitol, and/or request that the flag first be flown in memory of somebody you want. Neither are free (they used to be but the demand got too big), but they're not outrageous either. Of course there is a waiting list of a month or two, probably longer to have a flag flown in memoriam.

It's been the case for decades now that staff go out every day, raise and immediately lower each of a buncha new flags they take out there on a special flagpole that people can't see, and give (now sell) them to customers. The flag never really flies, it's raised and then immediately lowered, but it counts. Good enough for government work and me!

Edited by phdhorn

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

For U.S. flags, you can both order a flag that's been flown over the U.S. Capitol, and/or request that the flag first be flown in memory of somebody you want. Neither are free (they used to be but the demand got too big), but they're not outrageous either. Of course there is a waiting list of a month or two, probably longer to have a flag flown in memoriam.

It's been the case for decades now that staff go out every day, raise and immediately lower each of a buncha new flags they take out there on a special flagpole that people can't see, and give (now sell) them to customers. The flag never really flies, it's raised and then immediately lowered, but it counts. Good enough for government work and me!

Good to know. My mom's cousin was a US Congressman in the 80's and used to bring flags home for presents.  I ended up with one somehow.  Just hanging in the garage now.

18 hours ago, phdhorn said:

When did they start charging?  My neighborhood used to give them as presents to new neighbors. Pete Sessions used to get them for us for free 4 years ago or so. Took a couple of weeks.  You just sent an email and his staffer responded and said she would take care of it.  

Politicians love hearing that’s who it’s for — Pete would include a handwritten note.  

On 5/14/2019 at 10:35 AM, Liquor and Poker said:

I have a Texas flag flying outside.  Got it from the legislature for my birthday.  Flew over the State Capitol.  Call your state senator.

You can do the same thing for a US flag if you're tight with your rep.

Not to go CR but a flag that flew over the Texas capitol would diminish it in my view. 

I also fly the Texas flag from the legislature.  You can get it in either cotton or polyester.  We have the cotton version and it is good quality and a good value.  Maybe you can request one that was flown on a day when Dan Patrick was out of state.

On 5/14/2019 at 5:43 PM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

I fly the Texas Flag and the Longhorn flag at the ranch

I fly the US flag, the Texas flag, and alternate the Longhorn flag and the Port A Strong flags.  I also have a copy of Sheridan's San Jacinto flag (see my avatar) but haven't flown it yet.  Maybe next April 21.

I fly the San Jacinto Flag on April 21.  My copy is very thin, almost like silk. It's OK to fly outside one day a year, but if anybody knows of a thicker version, please let me know. We also fly the Alamo flag during the siege, and the Gonzales flag on October 2. The neighbors always think we are flying the Mexican flag in late Feb-early March.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2019 at 4:38 PM, Frank Erwin said:

I fly the San Jacinto Flag on April 21.  My copy is very thin, almost like silk. It's OK to fly outside one day a year, but if anybody knows of a thicker version, please let me know. We also fly the Alamo flag during the siege, and the Gonzales flag on October 2. The neighbors always think we are flying the Mexican flag in late Feb-early March.

Must be Californians.

yulh046s_o.jpg

I'm not even from here and I fly a Texas flag next to our US flag. I wish more people in other states did this.

11 minutes ago, Okie State said:
On 5/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, TXLNGHRN10 said:

I'm not even from here and I fly a Texas flag next to our US flag. I wish more people in other states did this.

people in chicago fly the chicago flag.  it's everywhere.  kinda neat having a city flag that doesn't suck giant muledick. 

• Like 1

people in chicago fly the chicago flag.  it's everywhere.  kinda neat having a city flag that doesn't suck giant muledick. 

That was actually super interesting...in a really dorky kind of way. Now I want to hear more of his rambling about design.

5 minutes ago, Okie State said:
27 minutes ago, elfenix said:

That was actually super interesting...in a really dorky kind of way. Now I want to hear more of his rambling about design.

i think there's 400 episodes of his podcast, 99% invisible, available on your favorite podcast app

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, Dr Fear said:

I've got a tattered USA and Texas flag and I don't think I am really up for ceremoniously burning it in the back yard.  I read the VFW will take them, but they won't answer the phone.  Anywhere else I could take them?

Wrap the flags up in a dignified box and leave it on the steps of the VFW. 

But if the flags are nylon-based, you shouldn't burn them anyway. Or just wrap them up (nicely) and put them in the trash. Really. It's not that big of a deal. It doesn't mean you're a bad American. 

22 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Any recs on how to mount it to brick? Do I need to drill into the brick or can I go in the areas between? What kind of drill do I need? I have a 3x5 Goliad flag I want to fly on the property

Google it, dude.

I think you should probably drill into the mortar (the areas in between). 

Get a masonry drill. 

Google it.