the alabama abortion attack

hayden_horn

15 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

Maybe he should have worded it better, but how he said this quote looks bad.

No, it doesn't, not to a person who isn't bringing a loaded agenda to the discussion.  You're reaching.  The entire quote is more than enough to convince a sane, reasonable person that he is not advocating for the execution of live babies. 

But hey, that doesn't matter you.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

No, it doesn't, not to a person who isn't bringing a loaded agenda to the discussion.  You're reaching.  The entire quote is more than enough to convince a sane, reasonable person that he is not advocating for the execution of live babies. 

But hey, that doesn't matter you.

I am not some unreasonable person, if you tell me how I am reaching then I'll understand how I'm wrong.

Edited by workswithseed

23 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

I am not some unreasonable person, if you tell me how I am reaching then I'll understand how I'm wrong.

Well, for starters, there is nothing in that quote that indicates he is advocating infanticide.  Nothing whatsoever.  For fuck's sake, Jack Kevorkian went to prison for physician-assisted suicide.  

Is it possible that a terminal infant would be allowed to die without resorting to extraordinary measures?  I suppose so.  Isn't that essentially the role of the parent -- to decide when enough is enough?  I guarantee you no sane physician would withhold sustenance from a healthy infant so that it would eventually die, and they damn sure wouldn't execute it.

I just don't think there is a shred of evidence that the VA Governor is a proponent of anything untoward here.  I don't know what you think you're seeing.

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, Junior Miller said:

What's worse? Never living at all or being born to a horrifically stupid single mother who can't afford and doesn't want you? Being born to a mother in prison and immediately becoming a ward of the state? Being born to a woman who was raped and will resent every time she looks at you for your entire life and will probably neglect you? 

Yeah, the act of abortion is horrible and I dislike it, but I also know I don't live in a candyland Utopia and the alternatives of children suffering because they were born to unfit idiot parents is far worse. 

Republicans want more idiots they can manipulate to vote for them because their platform is one of ignorance and stupidity. We should be striving for a better educated and smarter society with fewer children in extreme suffering. 

FIFY

36 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

the current law is that measures for life support must be given if there's clearly visible evidence of viability.  the amendment they were discussing doesn't substantively change that provision.

(c) 3. Measures for life support for the product of such abortion or miscarriage must shall be available and utilized if there is any clearly visible evidence of viability.

http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?191+ful+HB2491

Edited by elfenix
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, workswithseed said:

You may not be unreasonable, but you are 1) easily manipulated by sensational, partisan media reports or 2) intentionally misrepresenting something to further your argument.

• Like 2

Also, I kinda wonder why folks aren't taking actions against states like Alabama that force the state to take either inconsistent legal positions or at least absurd positions.  Alabama has taken the clear legal position that a fetus is a human life from the moment of conception.

For example, a pregnant woman is arrested and detained (she can't afford bail, etc., so she stays in custody).  File a writ of habeas corpus on behalf of Fetus Jones.  The state of Alabama can have no legal basis to detain Fetus Jones.  As Fetus Jones is a human being, the detention of Fetus Jones is unquestionably unlawful.

To go even further, sue the Alabama Department of Prisons for providing an insufficient diet to help Fetus Jones grow (fetal growth requires significant nutrition that is likely not available in prison food).

Need a friendly local DA to charge a man who had unprotected sex with a woman he knows to be a drug user, or alcoholic, for child endangerment.

Surely there are plenty of equal protection claims, or due process claims, that could likewise arise from other state actions.

Alabama chose to enter the Stupidity Decathlon.  Make them compete, and fall on their ass, in every event.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, for starters, there is nothing in that quote that indicates he is advocating infanticide.  Nothing whatsoever.  For fuck's sake, Jack Kevorkian went to prison for physician-assisted suicide.  

Is it possible that a terminal infant would be allowed to die without resorting to extraordinary measures?  I suppose so.  Isn't that essentially the role of the parent -- to decide when enough is enough?  I guarantee you no sane physician would withhold sustenance from a healthy infant so that it would eventually die, and they damn sure wouldn't execute it.

I just don't think there is a shred of evidence that the VA Governor is a proponent of anything untoward here.  I don't know what you think you're seeing.

These lunatics actually think liberals are literally baby murderers.

21 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Of course they do.  That's what they hear on Fox News, their only source of "information".  And if you show them something from a legitimate news source that contradicts what Fox told them, they'll dismiss it as fake news.

It's amazing how Fox has gotten a bunch of rural working class folks to support a bunch of rich men who are actively working to destroy rural working class folks in pursuit of lowering their own tax bills and making their 401k's go up.  They'll even get the rural working class folks to cheer when their healthcare is taken away.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

We're going to lie about facts in heinous and blatantly untrue ways.  Try to pass laws that ignore all of medical science (eg. Ohio bill to re-implant ectopic pregnancies).   And ridicule and demonize people who disagree with us, and essentially everyone who's not a white, straight, "Christian" man.  But why won't you have a reasonable conversation about abortion?  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

Every time I read that “legitimate rape” mess my blood boils.

How exactly does he think a vagina works? Does he think we have steel shutters in our snatch? A pussy pistol? Teeth?

A pussy troll? Pillow pants?

Dammit.

Edited by TwiceHorn
Dammit

Abortion is not a political problem, but of course our dysfunctional political system is happy to roll it right up under its wings.  Abortion is a public health issue, and should be approach as such. The statistics are simply not acceptable from a public health perspective. About 20% of all abortions are performed for women who have had 2+ previous abortions.  This is not acceptable in any way in a modern, humane society. Put aside your politics for a second.  The psychological implications of abortion on the individual are profound and should not be diminished. The medical implications of repeated abortions as well are profound. If anybody was serious about addressing a problem related to abortion, they would start at a tail of the distribution that is substantial and where some common ground across all (most) political stripes can be found.  If we could bend the trend for women who are at a place in their life that they are considering their third abortion, through whatever compassionate means possible, we should try that.  It would have a substantial impact if you care about life from the point of conception, as well as the life and well being of the women involved. But we don't, as a society politic.  We care about advantage and posture and nothing else.  And it is part of the reason why we are a fundamentally broken society. 

Edited by Anastasis
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Abortion is not a political problem, but of course our dysfunctional political system is happy to roll it right up under its wings.  Abortion is a public health issue, and should be approach as such. The statistics are simply not acceptable from a public health perspective. About 20% of all abortions are performed for women who have had 2+ previous abortions.  This is not acceptable in any way in a modern, humane society. Put aside your politics for a second.  The psychological implications of abortion on the individual are profound and should not be diminished. The medical implications of repeated abortions as well are profound. If anybody was serious about addressing a problem related to abortion, they would start at a tail of the distribution that is substantial and where some common ground across all (most) political stripes can be found.  If we could bend the trend for women who are at a place in their life that they are considering their third abortion, through whatever compassionate means possible, we should try that.  It would have a substantial impact if you care about life from the point of conception. But we don't, as a society politic.  We care about advantage and posture and nothing else.  And it is part of the reason why we are a fundamentally broken society. 

And that's why contraception should be free.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Abortion is not a political problem, but of course our dysfunctional political system is happy to roll it right up under its wings.  Abortion is a public health issue, and should be approach as such. The statistics are simply not acceptable from a public health perspective. About 20% of all abortions are performed for women who have had 2+ previous abortions.  This is not acceptable in any way in a modern, humane society. Put aside your politics for a second.  The psychological implications of abortion on the individual are profound and should not be diminished. The medical implications of repeated abortions as well are profound. If anybody was serious about addressing a problem related to abortion, they would start at a tail of the distribution that is substantial and where some common ground across all (most) political stripes can be found.  If we could bend the trend for women who are at a place in their life that they are considering their third abortion, through whatever compassionate means possible, we should try that.  It would have a substantial impact if you care about life from the point of conception. But we don't, as a society politic.  We care about advantage and posture and nothing else.  And it is part of the reason why we are a fundamentally broken society. 

"We" don't care about the woman.  "We" don't care about the fetus.  "We" care about control.

Part of me hopes science will come up with a way to quite literally harvest fertilized eggs from women who don't want to carry to term, for whatever reason, and place them in other hosts or incubators or whatever.  It's science fiction.  The main reason I want to see it happen is because I don't think this war will go away and it might be an acceptable end around.  Hopefully, it won't be forced by law.

7 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

And that's why contraception should be free.

$4/month is pretty much free. If you are suggesting that they should also be available OTC without an Rx but with pharmacist counseling, I could go there. 

8 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Part of me hopes science will come up with a way to quite literally harvest fertilized eggs from women who don't want to carry to term, for whatever reason, and place them in other hosts or incubators or whatever.  It's science fiction.  The main reason I want to see it happen is because I don't think this war will go away and it might be an acceptable end around.  Hopefully, it won't be forced by law.

What the fuck.  How about we just take some common sense measures to help women before they have to make their third trip to the abortion clinic. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, Anastasis said:

What the fuck.  How about we just take some common sense measures to help women before they have to make their third trip to the abortion clinic. 

Way to miss the point.  "Part of me", "science fiction", "end around".

I am not hopeful for the direction this country is headed.  But yes, I am anti-woman.  What.  The.  Fuck.  Indeed.  Neg rep.

2 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Way to miss the point.  "Part of me", "science fiction", "end around".

I am not hopeful for the direction this country is headed.  But yes, I am anti-woman.  What.  The.  Fuck.  Indeed.  Neg rep.

No one said you were anti women. But thanks for the neg rep shit head.  What the fuck about this conversation makes your brain go to egg harvesting and incubators.  Jesus.  Take a breath Jimmy. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Part of me hopes science will come up with a way to quite literally harvest fertilized eggs from women who don't want to carry to term, for whatever reason, and place them in other hosts or incubators or whatever.

[/totallynormalbrain]

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

No one said you were anti women. But thanks for the neg rep shit head.  What the fuck about this conversation makes your brain go to egg harvesting and incubators.  Jesus.  Take a breath Jimmy. 

Fuck you.  Suck my breath.

Try to keep up:  our country is currently moving backwards to a time when all abortion, for any reason, is illegal.  My post was an exaggeration of what might be necessary in such a dystopia to give women a tiny bright light.  It wasn't an actual policy proposal, but I'm not shocked you failed to interpret it correctly even though the intent was clear.

You have exactly zero room to lecture.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

Would be much more indicative of non-lunacy if I talked about harvesting the eggs of fertile women and storing them in incubators as a solution to the abortion debate. 

As usual, you can't even get the concept straight, either literally or figuratively.  Don't let that big brane trip you up too much, Ace.

I guess republicans have received their talking points from Fox. Most all of my conservative “friends” have posted how this law will benefit Blacks and how abortion is a racist idea thought up by Democrats to keep blacks oppressed.

It’s like a crazy email chain

I guess republicans have received their talking points from Fox. Most all of my conservative “friends” have posted how this law will benefit Blacks and how abortion is a racist idea thought up by Democrats to keep blacks oppressed.

It’s like a crazy email chain

"We" don't care about the woman.  "We" don't care about the fetus.  "We" care about control.

Seems I use this every few months lately

vtGZj8eVjyL4DnlqKn77M1mquGpttDmo_lg.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Also, I kinda wonder why folks aren't taking actions against states like Alabama that force the state to take either inconsistent legal positions or at least absurd positions.  Alabama has taken the clear legal position that a fetus is a human life from the moment of conception.

For example, a pregnant woman is arrested and detained (she can't afford bail, etc., so she stays in custody).  File a writ of habeas corpus on behalf of Fetus Jones.  The state of Alabama can have no legal basis to detain Fetus Jones.  As Fetus Jones is a human being, the detention of Fetus Jones is unquestionably unlawful.

To go even further, sue the Alabama Department of Prisons for providing an insufficient diet to help Fetus Jones grow (fetal growth requires significant nutrition that is likely not available in prison food).

Need a friendly local DA to charge a man who had unprotected sex with a woman he knows to be a drug user, or alcoholic, for child endangerment.

Surely there are plenty of equal protection claims, or due process claims, that could likewise arise from other state actions.

Alabama chose to enter the Stupidity Decathlon.  Make them compete, and fall on their ass, in every event.

how i met your mother GIF by Amanda

1 hour ago, Pancho Negro said:

Yep, I'm seeing it too.  I am routinely amazed at the bullshit otherwise intelligent people will accept with no critical review whatsoever.

I don’t understand the fuss, the Bible is pretty clear on the matter.

”And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

This dominion is absolute and does not excludeth a Woman nor any part of her fleshly vessel, including but not limited to her uterus, which may spark the life of a soul the moment said woman, if being of such an age, parts her legs like the Red Sea.  For woman is to serve man, trust in his wisdom and keep to the kitchen to fixeth him turkey pot pie when bade to do so.  

So does God entrust and command man to rule the earth and it’s denizens forevermore.*

* this offer not valid in Asia or the as yet undiscovered New World or Australia”

tumblr_mxi7463Ant1qbqvi9o4_250.gif

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Anastasis said:

Exactly.  First trimester abortions should be free and encouraged.  That said, sterilization should be required after two or possible three abortions.