Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

32 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, the small-town defensiveness and isolation from a lot of the news cycle is a big part of this story. There's a reason it's Mount Vernon and not Cy Ranch or McKinney or something.

Hey selective part of the news cycle.

Again, to suggest that the mega city center urban areas are just so high minded and full of integrity is nothing more than a lazy shot at other people

Houston hired Art Acevedo...

Edited by slorch

45 minutes ago, slorch said:

Indeed. No metropolis is rife with corruption and greed...

nice veiled political shot...

29 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Honestly, the small-town defensiveness and isolation from a lot of the news cycle is a big part of this story. There's a reason it's Mount Vernon and not Cy Ranch or McKinney or something.

Yep, my post was about this issue, in which case the small town dynamic is very relevant. There would be much more internal scrutiny if this were Houston or Dallas ISD or any of the large suburbs near these areas. All the criticisms here will be from the outside and the decision makers will not give a fuck. 

But nevertheless, sorry I should have included a snowflake trigger warning. My bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yep, my post was about this issue, in which case the small town dynamic is very relevant. There would be much more internal scrutiny if this were Houston or Dallas ISD or any of the large suburbs near these areas. All the criticisms here will be from the outside and the decision makers will not give a fuck. 

But nevertheless, sorry I should have included a snowflake trigger warning. My bad.

Nobody’s triggered...lolz.

Just pointing out that the ‘enlightened ones’ ain’t so perfect either.

There’s a litany of corrupt ‘leaders’ in metro areas...

but let’s hammer small town America because one wingnut Superintendent hired a POS football coach.

Edited by slorch

34 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Haven't really been following the aftermath, but has anyone asked the superintendent why they dropped the news on Friday evening of Memorial Day Weekend?  If the District truly believed he did nothing wrong, they would have wanted to deliver a "HOLY SHIT THIS LITTLE HIGH SCHOOL JUST NABBED A HUGELY SUCCESSFUL FORMER COLLEGE COACH" headline at the prime opportunity.

The timing of the news release says so much more than these worthless interview answers today.

no inside information here but wonder if the board approved/announced other major hires then - last school board of the year, right before graduation, etc?

9 minutes ago, slorch said:

Hey selective part of the news cycle.

Again, to suggest that the mega city center urban areas are just so high minded and full of integrity is nothing more than a lazy shot at other people

Houston hired Art Acevedo...

Yeah, but we have Sylvester Turner as mayor so we've got that going for us

• Like 1

Just now, slorch said:

Nobody’s triggered...lolz.

Just pointing out that the ‘enlightened ones’ ain’t so perfect either.

I think you're being overly sensitive. I'd argue the kind of corruption in a small town is different than that in a city. I don't have a problem with Art Acavedo, honestly, but Sylvester Turner is a corrupt motherfucker to which graft comes as easily as breathing, and probably more frequent. That being said, there's also a reason that every stop of his non college football career for Briles has been small Texas towns, and I don't think it's a coincidence that Mount Vernon more or less qualifies. The guy has some nasty as fuck stories that go back to his days at Hamlin and Stephenville, and lots of that revolve around the ability for him to control a smaller town's population with his "celebrity" as well as a a string of humble, everyman man of faith bullshit that many (not all) of the people who prefer smaller communities find reassuring. Jesus, it's the exact same shit that was effective at Waco. Cops who are inclined to call the coach first when something goes wrong, etc. When it comes to being a manipulative sociopath, Art Briles has been crushing it at the major league level for years. He's honed his skills at the highest level of competition and scrutiny. And when he finally got kicked out of the pros, he's taking his game back to single A ball, where I'm sure he'll crush that level of pitching. 

In other words, the guy's going back to an environment he's comfortable in and knows he can manipulate. There's a reason you didn't see that guy lobbying for jobs in the poorest areas of Houston and Dallas, and that's probably because he doesn't know how to twine those kinds of communities around his fingers. Then again, if we want to say it is because he is a racist, well, I've got zero problems tossing that label on his list of sins as well, so fuck it, Art Briles is also a racist. 

• Like 9

N b4 classics and a thought.  What If every school that played them only brought student organizations that were only boys? Would MTV care about loss of revenue?

if u are a parent of a girl cheerleader, do u want her to go?

Also, I wonder how much they are paying AB?

3 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

N b4 classics and a thought.  What If every school that played them only brought student organizations that were only boys? Would MTV care about loss of revenue?

if u are a parent of a girl cheerleader, do u want her to go?

Also, I wonder how much they are paying AB?

$82k per the Jessica Morrey Twitterfeed.

Has Art confirmed this? He might just be dicking with the Firenze owners for raise, perks, whatever.

It's really hard to understand why anyone - rape-coverer, rub'n'tug patron or whatever - anyone with a functional breathing and circulatory apparatus, would choose Mount Vernon, Texas over Firenze. 

There has to be something else going on here. 

Anyone checked the news from Italy recently? Are the Eye-ties about to toss his ass out? Pulling his green card, finna indict his ass? Anything?

16 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

Has Art confirmed this? He might just be dicking with the Firenze owners for raise, perks, whatever.

It's really hard to understand why anyone - rape-coverer, rub'n'tug patron or whatever - anyone with a functional breathing and circulatory apparatus, would choose Mount Vernon, Texas over Firenze. 

There has to be something else going on here. 

Anyone checked the news from Italy recently? Are the Eye-ties about to toss his ass out? Pulling his green card, finna indict his ass? Anything?

Do you really see Briles as the type of dude who'd prefer a nice glass of chianti on a piazza and an afternoon at the Uffizi to being a minor deity in a little town?

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Do you really see Briles as the type of dude who'd prefer a nice glass of chianti on a piazza and an afternoon at the Uffizi to being a minor deity in a little town?

I see pretty much anyone as someone who would prefer living in Florence, Italy to living in Mount Vernon, Texas. Particularly so if the someone has zero financial issues. Perhaps a year (is it only a year?) is all someone can stand, but...

At this point, it's beginning to seem like a match of equally rectocranial inversion victims, all the way around. I'm leaning toward the attitude that these miserable bastards deserve each other.

Let me get this straight...

Mount Vernon asked the University who systematically covered up rape and continues to deny it covered up rape if the main guy behind bringing rapists to campus that did all the raping is totally innocent?

Right 

• Like 9

I think the idea that Mount Vernon football players will start raping other students is just stupid.  He had to recruit questionable characters at Baylor because players with better options simply wouldn't go there.  That said with what happened at Baylor no decent human being would hire him anymore.

The bigger issue for me if I was a Mount Vernon parent would be Brile's history at Stephenville.  His treatment of those kids and his program philosophy on using steriods would be what scares me.  

Just now, mr. sunshine said:

Never mind. I read it again and saw that first it was extensive, then thorough and then just regular old due diligence process 

I mean they called Grant Teaff who said CAB was a stand up guy and didn't know anything about the rapin's. What more do we need?

Wait a minute.  If this was a real hire, wouldn’t Briles be there to answer questions and be there to take some of the heat.  Something smells, like maybe Briles convinced the supt. to try it and if not too many people complain then Briles would move to Texas and actually take the job.   I am starting to think this won’t happen.  

• Like 1

Stephenville dudes were roided to the gills back in the day, but their real talent was getting every football playing country boy between Fort Worth and San Angelo to leave their podunk school and play for the Jackets. Also they had a D1 QB literally every single year.

My high school had a minor rivalry with Briles' Stephenville back in the day. We ended their 32 game winning streak back in 95 and they turned around and knocked our undefeated best team ever out of the playoffs the next year. Every year I played from 7th on up we would go against Stephenville. In middle school we would dominate them. Im talking 40 something to 0 in the 3rd then shut it down. As we got older they got bigger and badder, fucking monsters.

And our offseasons were no slouch either. Steve Wood brought basically the same program to Aledo in 2003 and they've had a little success since then

Edited by cmontexas
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, orangecat92 said:

Wait a minute.  If this was a real hire, wouldn’t Briles be there to answer questions and be there to take some of the heat.  Something smells, like maybe Briles convinced the supt. to try it and if not too many people complain then Briles would move to Texas and actually take the job.   I am starting to think this won’t happen.  

That would be the best possible outcome.

11 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Stephenville dudes were roided to the gills back in the day, but their real talent was getting every football playing country boy between Fort Worth and San Angelo to leave their podunk school and play for the Jackets. Also they had a D1 QB literally every single year.

My high school had a minor rivalry with Briles' Stephenville back in the day. We ended their 32 game winning streak back in 95 and they turned around and knocked our undefeated best team ever out of the playoffs the next year. Every year I played from 7th on up we would go against Stephenville. In middle school we would dominate them. Im talking 40 something to 0 in the 3rd then shut it down. As we got older they got bigger and badder, fucking monsters.

And our offseasons were no slouch either. Steve Wood brought basically the same program to Aledo in 2003 and they've had a little success since then

Bet you can throw a football over them mountains too?

• Like 2

Just to continue the thought, since Briles has been out of the country, he wouldn’t have as much awareness of the possible social media backlash, but he could have easily warned the supt there would be some heat, and told him he would do the job, but will not take the heat.  Supt agreed to take the heat guessing the heat would only last about 24 hours.  Seems to me the heat might still be building, and we’re four days in. 

2 hours ago, Tex Long said:

I see pretty much anyone as someone who would prefer living in Florence, Italy to living in Mount Vernon, Texas. Particularly so if the someone has zero financial issues. Perhaps a year (is it only a year?) is all someone can stand, but...

You're not really serious with this, are you?  Art can't get good BBQ or chicken fried steak, there's no Southern Baptist church in Florence, everyone is speaking a language he doesn't speak, and worst of all, none of the people there take football seriously.  Mount Vernon fixes all of that.  

Edited by Beau Vine

Just to continue the thought, since Briles has been out of the country, he wouldn’t have as much awareness of the possible social media backlash, but he could have easily warned the supt there would be some heat, and told him he would do the job, but will not take the heat.  Supt agreed to take the heat guessing the heat would only last about 24 hours.  Seems to me the heat might still be building, and we’re four days in. 

You know the internet is accessible by people all over the world right? It’s not like he was in North Korea or China.

Yeah, and that's why I said he could have told supt there would be some heat.  The person who underestimated the heat would be supt.  Briles knew there would be some heat, so he didn’t show up for announcement.  This is a big game of testing the waters to see how hot the water is.  The water might be too hot for both the supt and the school board.  

Guest Lobo

I will never understand the fascination that Texas males have with high school football coaches.  If y'all wanna get raped, just join a Catholic church.  What is this weird connection y'all have with your coaches, that they can do no wrong?  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I will never understand the fascination that Texas males have with high school football coaches.  If y'all wanna get raped, just join a Catholic church.  What is this weird connection y'all have with your coaches, that they can do no wrong?  

Wtf does Texas have to do with it?

Guest Lobo

It's where Art gets his jobs, its where his new job is, it's where Baylor is, it's where rape happens, it's where dipshits who over-romanticize their coaches still live.  

8 minutes ago, Lobo said:

It's where Art gets his jobs, its where his new job is, it's where Baylor is, it's where rape happens, it's where dipshits who over-romanticize their coaches still live.  

The first three are obviously true. The last two are in absolutely no way unique to Texas.  Texas has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Fuck you.

What a dumbass take. In what part of Texas is State College located?

Also, not every football coach is Art Briles or Joe Paterno. Especially at the high school level football (and other sport) coaches are often good dudes that mentor thousands of young men in their communities and serve as father figures for kids that dont necessarily have one or connect with one at home.

Just an absurdly stupid series of posts Id expect to find on Deadspin, instead of a TEXAS FOOTBALL message board

• Like 4

Guest Lobo

thread is about Mount Vernon High School.  I thought it was in Texas.  Coach worship is a problem in Texas.  It's not everywhere but it's serious enough that it gives people like Art Briles a fifth chance to be around young people.  White Savior complex is strong in those parts.  

5 hours ago, txhorns said:

I think the idea that Mount Vernon football players will start raping other students is just stupid.  He had to recruit questionable characters at Baylor because players with better options simply wouldn't go there.  That said with what happened at Baylor no decent human being would hire him anymore.

The bigger issue for me if I was a Mount Vernon parent would be Brile's history at Stephenville.  His treatment of those kids and his program philosophy on using steriods would be what scares me.  

While yes it’s stupid to think that these kids will just start raping other students immediately due to Briles, the point is that Briles fostered a culture/atmosphere around his program that football players were above the rules/law.  While rape is obviously an extreme, it starts with the little things like getting a player a lesser punishment, or a better grade to keep them eligible  since they play football.  Over the months/years this can turn into a culture of entitlement where player feels they are figuratively untouchable due to their status and participation with the football team.  That can absolutely lead toward a Baylor situation, which is why I would immediately be looking to move if I had children at that school.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

thread is about Mount Vernon High School.  I thought it was in Texas.  Coach worship is a problem in Texas.  It's not everywhere but it's serious enough that it gives people like Art Briles a fifth chance to be around young people.  White Savior complex is strong in those parts.  

Dude you watched Varsity Blues one too many times. MV is a 3A HS in east TX. There are hundreds of 3A HS's in Texas. 

Yeah, and that's why I said he could have told supt there would be some heat.  The person who underestimated the heat would be supt.  Briles knew there would be some heat, so he didn’t show up for announcement.  This is a big game of testing the waters to see how hot the water is.  The water might be too hot for both the supt and the school board.  

Yeah, we're running a little bit too hot tonight.

6 hours ago, Lobo said:

I wonder if you're the smartest guy in your sad little state. I bet you are. Your friends give you high marks for logic and evidence assembly. 

Your deductions are flawless and reflect no confirmation bias nor jealousy. Your friends are correct. You're very sharp.

Guest Lobo
9 hours ago, NorthLoop said:

Dude you watched Varsity Blues one too many times. MV is a 3A HS in east TX. There are hundreds of 3A HS's in Texas. 

There's lots of high schools in East Texas?  Got it.  

I think Art getting hired there is a symptom of a larger issue.  That's all.  

12 hours ago, Lobo said:

This is about winning, man. You can win a football game. Ain't nobody ever won no calculus exam. 

17 hours ago, Landomatic said:

Mt Vernon released an additional statement...

Yep, all clear. And with all of the job offers he had in front of him, he chose the prestigious job of Mount Vernon. I mean, if he was all clear, he certainly had 100+ job offers, right?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Yep, all clear. And with all of the job offers he had in front of him, he chose the prestigious job of Mount Vernon. I mean, if he was all clear, he certainly had 100+ job offers, right?

They keep referring to that one quote from that one cover our ass letter from Baylor's attorneys from back in the settlement days as if it means jack shit.  Then they throw it out in this statement as if this is what they just personally received from Baylor directly with regard to hiring Briles.  And to top it off, even if it isn't being taken totally out of context (which it is), that quote doesn't say fuck all.  It says they aren't aware of any rape victim coming to Briles directly and him telling them directly not to go to authorities.  And that they aren't aware that he continued to play a player convicted of rape.  Well no fucking shit.

• Like 2