Art Briles: New Head Coach of Mount Vernon High School in Texas

Landomatic

8 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Jesus fucking christ. 

"I'm a native Texan. But I spent 15 years in Norman, Oklahoma. I became a Sooner fan."

Go fuck yourself, you fucking POS. And don't bother lecturing anyone here in the value of advertising and value, with I'm sure what is years of experience trying to advertise your shitty podunk gas station in Norman, Oklahoma.

It's a SCHOOL. It's not a fucking business enterprise. 

david-boren-oklahoma-football-775x465.jp 

David Boren is available, do they want to hire him too?  

Edited by Dennis Taylor
  • Like 1

probably not gonna happen, but I think every visiting team should make it known they are not bringing any visiting student groups that have girls to the games.  And for the Sooner in Mt. Vernon, we know all about Sooners and their questionable ethics.  Does he think he is impressing people by thinking the entire Mt. Vernon ISD should lower itself to the Sooner level of morality? 

Never visited Mt. Vernon, and will probably never go.  I want to see what a year of Art Briles will do to this community.  Do decision-makers in Mt. Vernon really think this is going away quickly and quietly?  I don't think so, but what do I know?    

Get your popcorn ready, folks.  This ought to be good.  

13 hours ago, Armybrat said:

What happened at the public meeting with the school board? Animal House style?

One of my friends spoke at the meeting.

From her FB-

The school board meeting tonight was sparsely attended considering the national blowback our town has endured since the hiring of Art Briles. I was among three who got up to share during the public comments portion of the meeting and thought I'd post my thoughts here to a wider audience. It was an intimidating group to say the least so here they are without the butterflies: The hiring of Art Briles was not inevitable.  We have seven elected officials sitting before us that could have prevented this from happening.  Seven individuals that could have proclaimed integrity matters more than a couple of winning seasons of football.  Seven people  that could have voiced their concern for the young women whose lives were forever altered by the actions of Baylor Bears under coach Briles' watch. Seven officials that could have foreseen the media frenzy and negative press about to be unleashed on our beloved little town. Seven "alleged educators" who may have guessed what kind of pressure and spotlight this might put on the innocent children playing for and attending  MVISD. We have seven elected officials who instead unanimously decided MVISD would be the next home for Briles who could not find gainful employment as a football coach anywhere else in North America.  I will remember your decision  during the next school board election and cast my vote for integrity and the well being of the children in our community.  #notagooddaytobeatiger #integritymatters

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

From her FB-

The school board meeting tonight was sparsely attended considering the national blowback our town has endured since the hiring of Art Briles. I was among three who got up to share during the public comments portion of the meeting and thought I'd post my thoughts here to a wider audience. It was an intimidating group to say the least so here they are without the butterflies: The hiring of Art Briles was not inevitable.  We have seven elected officials sitting before us that could have prevented this from happening.  Seven individuals that could have proclaimed integrity matters more than a couple of winning seasons of football.  Seven people  that could have voiced their concern for the young women whose lives were forever altered by the actions of Baylor Bears under coach Briles' watch. Seven officials that could have foreseen the media frenzy and negative press about to be unleashed on our beloved little town. Seven "alleged educators" who may have guessed what kind of pressure and spotlight this might put on the innocent children playing for and attending  MVISD. We have seven elected officials who instead unanimously decided MVISD would be the next home for Briles who could not find gainful employment as a football coach anywhere else in North America.  I will remember your decision  during the next school board election and cast my vote for integrity and the well being of the children in our community.  #notagooddaytobeatiger #integritymatters

Good for her.  That took courage, no doubt.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, orangecat92 said:

probably not gonna happen, but I think every visiting team should make it known they are not bringing any visiting student groups that have girls to the games.  And for the Sooner in Mt. Vernon, we know all about Sooners and their questionable ethics.  Does he think he is impressing people by thinking the entire Mt. Vernon ISD should lower itself to the Sooner level of morality? 

Never visited Mt. Vernon, and will probably never go.  I want to see what a year of Art Briles will do to this community.  Do decision-makers in Mt. Vernon really think this is going away quickly and quietly?  I don't think so, but what do I know?    

Get your popcorn ready, folks.  This ought to be good.  

Lake Cypress Springs is a nice weekend getaway from the metroplex.  It’s probably the most underrated lake in the state.   I’ll report back the next time I’m there and have to interact with the locals.

4 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

From her FB-

Great language.  I like best “I will remember .....” should be interesting to see what happens.  

• Like 2

Lake Cypress Springs is a nice weekend getaway from the metroplex.  It’s probably the most underrated lake in the state.   I’ll report back the next time I’m there and have to interact with the locals.

I'm there every other weekend. Great place. The locals dont seem to care.

13 hours ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

From her FB-

KLTV News out of Tyler covered this event.  It did seem rather mild considering what is at issue.  I believe that the lady mentioned above is one that they showed a video clip of reading her statement.  Good for her.  Well stated.

18 hours ago, Liquor and Poker said:

Fair enough.  It was really McAllen Whiskey.  Made on the border by an undocumented thirty year old.  

Darn - around these parts all we get from those guys is sotol. On the plus side, it's cheaper than gasoline and has higher octane rating.

23 hours ago, Tex Long said:

Hmmm... my #1 son, semi-retired from Blizzard, is pursuing a Doctorate in Anthropology at Oxford, brought back from his last trip to the UK a bottle of 18-year-old, and the label has it The MACALLAN, so I'd have to say both wrong so far, capitalism-wise.

There's a good chance he forgot to bring you a present and stopped by Spec's on the way home from the airport. 

• 3 weeks later...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/26943300/how-small-texas-town-reacted-hiring-art-briles

The hire of Art Briles as the new football coach at Mount Vernon High School in East Texas has drawn attention from across the country. 
7:00 AM CT
Dave Wilson
ESPN Staff Writer

MOUNT VERNON, Texas -- The parking lot of the Dairy Bar on Highway 37 was filled with three-quarter-ton pickups.

TL;DR:  Art Briles was a huge part of the problem at BU.  Local yokels couldn't resist hiring a coaching legend and want playoff success.  Local power family Ramsay includes state legislators, judges, etc., most of whom are BU grads, and one of whom was director of on-campus recruiting for Briles.  The Ramsays and the town in general don't give two rips about what harpy Brenda Tracy or big city newspapers say about them.  

Interesting note.  Former KU and NBA star Greg Ostertag and wife are now residents of and major investors in Mount Vernon.  Although they don't like the attention of the Briles hire, they don't comment on the underlying issue of whether Briles is a lying POS that shouldn't be around kids.  

My wife found some kind of fucking horse ranch she wanted us to consider going to for a long weekend. I'm guessing it's this place:

https://www.deerlakecabins.com/

My wife loves autumn, and the notion of land up in Texas that would have leaves that change, etc, is always super appealing to her as we live in Houston. I was like "Sure why not" and then I scrolled down and saw it was in Mount Vernon. She was less than pleased, to put it lightly, that I summarily dismissed it out of hand told her we would never in any way shape or form support the economy of Mount Vernon with any of our money. We can drive another couple of hours and ago to fucking Arkansas if she needs the seasons. Mount Vernon can fuck right off the goddamn map. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My wife found some kind of fucking horse ranch she wanted us to consider going to for a long weekend. I'm guessing it's this place:

My wife loves autumn, and the notion of land up in Texas that would have leaves that change, etc, is always super appealing to her as we live in Houston. I was like "Sure why not" and then I scrolled down and saw it was in Mount Vernon. She was less than pleased, to put it lightly, that I summarily dismissed it out of hand told her we would never in any way shape or form support the economy of Mount Vernon with any of our money. We can drive another couple of hours and ago to fucking Arkansas if she needs the seasons. Mount Vernon can fuck right off the goddamn map. 

Your wife would love that place. Lots of free space for her to roam. 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

What kinda aggy shit is this

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

Are you really not doing business with a ranch because it's located in a town where you hate the school board and coach? Lord knows nothing bad has ever happened in Houston. Sheesh

Edited by Alvin89
Typo

2 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

Are you really not doing business with a ranch because it's located in a town where you hate the school board and coach? Lord knows nothing bad has ever happened in Houston. Sheesh 

There's plenty of small towns in Texas. You might as well not deal with one where the town grandees are provably evil.

17 minutes ago, Alvin89 said:

What Texafornia said. Small Towns in Texas are where people like Briles can thrive. The people there are afraid to speak out because they are concerned it will hurt their businesses and they will be shunned, that's quoted in the article and it is also common sense. They basically laid out that the town family, the Ramseys, are all Baylor people. Why the fuck would I give my money to a corrupt or damaged community that is willfully selling their soul? What's the quote, all it takes for evil to take root is for good people to do nothing? As was said, there are a lot of small towns in Texas that aren't stained. I'll take it a step further, if I lived in that community and this happened, we'd be fucking moving. I'm not sending my son to go to school at a place where Briles roams the halls, nor am I raising him in a place that fosters that kind of environment against women. It's not worth the risk that he'd pick up something shitty just by osmosis and observation. 

As for Houston, yeah, bad things happen here. Mayor Turner is corrupt as fuck. But if the leaders were going out of their way to hire convicted rapists or rape enablers to positions of power, yeah, I'd probably reconsider a lot of things. Bad things happening somewhere isn't the same thing as inviting evil directly into your living room.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 9