Austin Homeless Free for All Ordinance

rage-a-holic

I continue to be stunned by the fact that 42% of the population believes that endless camping in public areas is a better decision than actually trying to do something about the problem. And even more stunned by those who believe any person, regardless of their circumstance, should be housed by the rest of us. It truly is an Ayn Rand dystopian moment for the City of Austin and an extremely dangerous mindset for this country  

You’re stunned that most people believe we should provide housing for elderly, mentally ill, physically impaired, children, and other people who are unable to take care of themselves because you believe we’re turning into a fictional world described by a bad author?

Read more history and economics, and less fiction.

And Prop B was not about housing. Most Austin citizens support local efforts to provide options besides fines and imprisonment and bussing.
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

Like I have posted numerous times in this thread: word travels fast in any community. Even in those with “chronic” homelessness. Adler/Casar and the dipshits of the round table put out the “Welcome” mat. Quite a few of our homeless since 2019 (ban lifted without voter say so) came from many other places. 

We didn’t address the problems of homeless Austinites first. Which we should have done. Didn’t do.

Particularly, homeless veterans which are the hardest group to reach. There are several successful strategies that we could have employed. Adler and his band of dipshits chose poorly. Either on purpose or because they are incompetent. Fuck em.

I want to especially help those who need our help. Local people! Not fuckers who moved here from other cities and states to get handouts and order from DoorDash. (True story—no shit)

Since the band was lifted by the assholes in charge of the city homelessness has increased by 45% (meaning people are coming here). Other cities and communities that have joined many of the programs that have been mentioned above thread have decreased their numbers by a similar margin—during a pandemic.

There is nothing wrong with compassion. But let’s be smart about it. Geez.

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

You’re stunned that most people believe we should provide housing for elderly, mentally ill, physically impaired, children, and other people who are unable to take care of themselves because you believe we’re turning into a fictional world described by a bad author?

And Prop B was not about housing. Most Austin citizens support local efforts to provide options besides fines and imprisonment and bussing.

I doubt many citizens of Austin support ever increasing costs to provide options for homeless people that come from all over the country. But I don’t live there anymore so I’d gladly support any homeless people near where I live being sent to Austin for housing.

3 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Like I have posted numerous times in this thread: word travels fast in any community. Even in those with “chronic” homelessness. Adler/Casar and the dipshits of the round table put out the “Welcome” mat. They came from many other places. 

We didn’t address the problems of homeless Austinites first. Particularly, homeless veterans which are the hardest group to reach. There are several successful strategies that we could have employed. Adler and his band of dipshits chose poorly. Either on purpose or because they are incompetent. Fuck em.

I want to especially help those who need our help. Local people! Not fuckers who moved here from other cities and states to get handouts and order from DoorDash. (True story—no shit)

Since the band was lifted by the assholes in charge of the city homelessness has increased by 45% (meaning people are coming here). Other cities and communities that have joined many of the programs that have been mentioned above thread have decreased their numbers by a similar margin—during a pandemic.

There is nothing wrong with compassion. But let’s be smart about it. Geez.

jesus, that sounds like something my maga MIL would write on FB, except about americans and caravans of mexicans

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

29 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

jesus, that sounds like something my maga MIL would write on FB, except about americans and caravans of mexicans

MAGA I take as an insult. Since you’ve offered no real solutions nor valuable input other than handwringing about losing your “neighbors” and voting against Prop B (as though it’s a badge of honor—Hey guys, I care. I’ll trade all the money in my wallet for those bills you got in your Monopoly game!) enlighten me as to the best way to go about the homelessness issue. 

Not MAGA. I’ve mentioned numerous times this isn’t political for me. Continue to support a losing non-strategy. That’s your deal. I would rather take solutions that work, put it to the voters and have a vote on the best ways to help homeless Austinites. 

Proven strategies employed the last decade with an eye to HELPING them and by helping them we decrease the % of homeless people. Helping them. Not moving them to another municipality.

Not invite people from other states to camp here while we do jack shit to help anyone. Especially before we help those who are in need here first. 

I’m not MAGA. Your assumption is false. But if we are throwing shade I could make an assumption that your line of thought is precisely what is wrong with Austin. And that’s why things fail and go to shit. 🤘🏼😁

Edited by Nicole44
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Nicole44 said:

MAGA I take as an insult. Since you’ve offered no real solutions nor valuable input other than handwringing about losing your “neighbors” and voting against Prop B (as though it’s a badge of honor—Hey guys, I care. I’ll trade all the money in my wallet for those bills you got in your Monopoly game!)

Not MAGA. I’ve mentioned numerous times this isn’t political for me. Continue to support a losing non-strategy. That’s your deal. I would rather take solutions that work, put it to the voters and have a vote on the best ways to help homeless Austinites. based on proven strategies that are designed to HELP the homeless.
Not invite people from other states to camp here while we do jack shit to help anyone. Especially before we help those who are in need here first. 

I’m not MAGA. Your assumption is false. But if we are throwing shade I could make an assumption that your line of thought is precisely what is wrong with Austin. And that’s why things fail and go to shit. 🤘🏼😁

Small MAGA dick energy.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

you are rapidly distinguishing yourself as the dumbest poster in this thread.  congrats.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, crash_davis said:

and you sound like what's wrong with the left. support every fucking feel good cause out there, damned to common sense and who's actually going to pay for it. in the same vein that austin leadership created councilwoman fitlump, the fucking idiocy of the left created Trump and his MAGA supporters. 

if you want to help the homeless so much, start giving money directly to these carpet bagging shitheads. also open your home and yard to them. if you aren't doing either, then fuck off coming in here preaching to the majority of austinites who see this shitshow for what it is.

Robert Redford Yes GIF

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

and you sound like what's wrong with the left. support every fucking feel good cause out there, damned to common sense and who's actually going to pay for it. in the same vein that austin leadership created councilwoman fitlump, the fucking idiocy of the left created Trump and his MAGA supporters. 

if you want to help the homeless so much, start giving money directly to these carpet bagging shitheads. also open your home and yard to them. if you aren't doing either, then fuck off coming in here preaching to the majority of austinites who see this shitshow for what it is.

This might be the most idiotic thing I've ever read and it could have come directly from the Nazi playbook of the early 1930s. The Left created them too amirite? The Left caused the Civil War etc. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Fuck You 2

Just now, usmc0331horn said:

This might be the most idiotic thing I've ever read and it could have come directly from the Nazi playbook of the early 1930s. The Left created them too amirite? The Left caused the Civil War etc. 

Just now, usmc0331horn said:

Lol carpet baggers. What a dork.

take the loss, pussy.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 hour ago, crash_davis said:

https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/austins-homeless-residents-fear-whats-next-once-camping-ban-takes-effect/

Abigail Wilson is among those who just found out about the Prop B ban. She said she had no interest in going to a shelter, and instead would seek refuge in a more isolated spot.

“I like to live off the grid. And living outside and in a tent,” she said. “And living like I want to.”

Rebecca Shivers said she came here from Missouri and was surprised to find there weren’t more homeless resources in a state as wealthy as Texas.

“Texas has got all this money, they should not be out here like this,” she said. “They got all them apartments coming to them, they need to give us all one.”

Fuck these two bitches.

i hate encountering people like that.  but for the sake of the others, these people will be included in whatever mercy programs are offered. 

Just now, Nicole44 said:

I fixed it for you!

CDA3495B-D403-42CD-945B-A9CC096EDB23.gif.699dc7029f6f622bc80e06e5a2250819.gif

Also, all this penis stuff. Micro/macro/small/ etc.. people just need to chill out or whack off. Lol. Salma Hayek and Linda Carter say hi. 😁

82F58AA0-F7A0-4B49-AE2F-0F49BE5095FA.jpeg

942AA6CE-55B0-4EF3-85C1-FA0632876641.gif

I stopped taking message boards seriously years ago. They peaked in like 2006 imo. Now it's just fun entertainment for me.

9 minutes ago, usmc0331horn said:

I stopped taking message boards seriously years ago. They peaked in like 2006 imo. Now it's just fun entertainment for me.

Well futureman has the slot you are after though. Gotta try something different. 🤔

37 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

"who's actually going to pay for it" wasn't on the proposition. it was literally criminalizing/non criminalizing. that's it. 

again, i'm all for getting them out of the underpasses and medians and parks, and i don't want them shitting in town lake or whatever, but getting there didn't mean having to fucking add to their burdens either. 

i'm not blaming any of you mini dicks, i totally get it. honestly i struggled with it to, but morally, i felt better about going a different way than a lot of you. i fully realize this is the doing of our idiot council.

1 hour ago, usmc0331horn said:

You should probably show your commitment to not taking message boards seriously by posting less.  Because TBH you suck at it.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bottlecap said:

"who's actually going to pay for it" wasn't on the proposition. it was literally criminalizing/non criminalizing. that's it. 

again, i'm all for getting them out of the underpasses and medians and parks, and i don't want them shitting in town lake or whatever, but getting there didn't mean having to fucking add to their burdens either. 

i'm not blaming any of you mini dicks, i totally get it. honestly i struggled with it to, but morally, i felt better about going a different way than a lot of you. i fully realize this is the doing of our idiot council.

well, i agree with you that prop b wasn't the total answer, but something had to be done. i'm the target audience for empathy for the homeless, but they were trashing up the city. i love radio there at manchaca and ben white, but you had to be on your toes since hamsterdam set up under that bridge.

as usual the answer is somewhere in between "throw them in prison" and "let them set up camp anywhere."

the problem, as you outline, is with the council. i don't live in austin any longer, so i couldn't vote on the props, but i would have absolutely voted for the camping ban. i was used to seeing what i saw at manchaca and south first along ben white. i don't know why it was somehow worse when i saw the tents and trash along town lake. maybe it's because i'm used to a pretty significant homeless population in south austin. i dunno. but when homeless tents become part of the skyline, it's time to take action. add in the dangerous large scale fires, and it is a no brainer. 

that doesn't mean we stop trying to come up with real solutions. but allowing haphazard camping everywhere was unsafe, unsightly, and really did nothing for the homeless except allow them to congregate outside of the woods.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

well, i agree with you that prop b wasn't the total answer, but something had to be done. i'm the target audience for empathy for the homeless, but they were trashing up the city. i love radio there at manchaca and ben white, but you had to be on your toes since hamsterdam set up under that bridge.

as usual the answer is somewhere in between "throw them in prison" and "let them set up camp anywhere."

the problem, as you outline, is with the council. i don't live in austin any longer, so i couldn't vote on the props, but i would have absolutely voted for the camping ban. i was used to seeing what i saw at manchaca and south first along ben white. i don't know why it was somehow worse when i saw the tents and trash along town lake. maybe it's because i'm used to a pretty significant homeless population in south austin. i dunno. but when homeless tents become part of the skyline, it's time to take action. add in the dangerous large scale fires, and it is a no brainer. 

that doesn't mean we stop trying to come up with real solutions. but allowing haphazard camping everywhere was unsafe, unsightly, and really did nothing for the homeless except allow them to congregate outside of the woods.

I think one could certainly be Anti Prop B and Anti-camping, but not Pro Prop B and Pro Humanity. I wonder how many of these christian conservative white guys like Cajun are the ALL LIVES MATTER GODDAMMIT ilk? Or how many of these moderate left dorks boast one of those "In THIS house ... " yard signs. The irony is too much, but VERY fucking Austin. 

25 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I know this is going to come off like I'm "triggered" to you, but I'm really just annoyed that I'm going to have to explain this like I'm speaking to a small child. The "criminalization" aspect gives the authorities a legal pretext to order the campers to move.  Without it, the cops can't ask the homeless to leave - they are breaking no law.  We are not going to be locking up scores of bums, nor are we expecting them to pay tickets. Instead, the goal is to make this lifestyle much more of a pain in the ass for them . . . they have to move every few days, they keep losing all their shit because it gets confiscated, they can't camp out right across the street from a convenience store, or in places with easy access to drugs or shit to steal.  Some will slip back into the shadows.  Many others will simply leave and go back to where they came from, like the dipshits from Missouri in the story above.  If you don't think the current policy is encouraging a significant number of people to come here because it's easy to live the lifestyle they want to live, you're even more naïve than your posts here suggest.  This policy made the city a much, much worse place for its residents. It's time to go back to the old policy. This isn't rocket science and it isn't about "fixing" homelessness.  

Yes, let's read more economics.  I like the stuff about people responding to incentives and also negative externalities. Seems relevant here.    

Yes, if there is one steel clad truth, particularly on surly, is that we anticipate LEOs to handle situations involving the destitute or Blacks with nothing but a fuzzy embrace.

But when the Venn Diagram involves both characteristics .. well, thats when APD really pours on the charm!

3 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

I see that you've tried to redefine my post with a completely different meaning and topic. Nice theatrics but irrelevant to the post. But let's just stick to your post 4169 for a minute.  Go ahead and tell me from post 4168, just ONE post above yours, which category of helpless she fits into.

Painting the broad brush stroke that everyone who is homeless should be cared for by others is just as outrageous as doing nothing for those in need. And so far, by the way, for two years now NOTHING has been done for these people. And giving the city the tools to force and incent people to either use the resources available or go somewhere else is a perfectly adequate tool in a larger toolkit to solve the problem.

And as the post below clearly shows, there are many people who believe the only solution is to also care for people who don't need it. I don't think that is either the right solution or the right way to think about finding a solution. 

2 hours ago, gsoda3 said:

i hate encountering people like that.  but for the sake of the others, these people will be included in whatever mercy programs are offered. 

I think one could certainly be Anti Prop B and Anti-camping, but not Pro Prop B and Pro Humanity. I wonder how many of these christian conservative white guys like Cajun are the ALL LIVES MATTER GODDAMMIT ilk? Or how many of these moderate left dorks boast one of those "In THIS house ... " yard signs. The irony is too much, but VERY fucking Austin. 

How many homeless people are you hosting in your house or camp in your yard?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Oh cute. The default "HoW ManY HoMELess PeoPLE ArE You HouSINg" trope. 

What do you think? Zero. They were tented and stable. Often fed and access to most services including transportation, waste, and medical (on saturdays and sundays). But now, NOW ... I may have some of them camping on my property or maybe in the woods behind the neighborhood. You might too. That would be goddamned funny if that happened to you.

Maybe you can round up a posse too. you and cajun.

7 minutes ago, MissingInAction said:

Gonna be nice getting my weekly chili cheese too fix at sonic without worry of being harassed. That and driving under 290 without dodging some wasted bum pissing in the middle of the road.

pffft. small dick energy!!

am i doing that right?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2