Shit I've Cooked Lately

Hollywood

3 hours ago, EE2B said:

Was it your parents that owned/own Stillwater?

Yes. Going on 37 years. They started it after coming over from Dallas where my dad worked at the French Room. They’ll probably be retiring here in the next few years as my mom is 70 and dad is 68, and my dad is still the chef while mom still runs the front of the house/tends bar (hard to find a savvy bar tender in Jefferson, Tx...) but yeah they are the original owners. It was a hell of a place to grow up in and I still have a lot to learn from my dad! 

• Like 1

Shit I'm gonna cook soon:

I recently got my hands on 20lbs of cooked crawfish, left over from a boil on Saturday.  I've pealed them all (and ate a bunch) and what I have left is about 2.5  lbs of meat and 6 lbs of heads for stock.  What should I do with it?  It's fully cooked  (not par cooked like you get when you just buy tails), so I want to be careful not not to turn it in to rubber.  I'll document, but need ideas.

Yes. Going on 37 years. They started it after coming over from Dallas where my dad worked at the French Room. They’ll probably be retiring here in the next few years as my mom is 70 and dad is 68, and my dad is still the chef while mom still runs the front of the house/tends bar (hard to find a savvy bar tender in Jefferson, Tx...) but yeah they are the original owners. It was a hell of a place to grow up in and I still have a lot to learn from my dad! 

I thought that was you. We’ve never been, but I have a cousin who lives pretty close that loves it. Are you telling me that Auntie Skinners doesn’t turn out quality bartenders?

3 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

I recently got my hands on 20lbs of cooked crawfish, left over from a boil on Saturday.  I've pealed them all (and ate a bunch) and what I have left is about 2.5  lbs of meat and 6 lbs of heads for stock.  What should I do with it?  It's fully cooked  (not par cooked like you get when you just buy tails), so I want to be careful not not to turn it in to rubber.  I'll document, but need ideas.

Cook you some rotini pasta or similar, make a cajun cream sauce, also cook up some Andouille, mix the already cooked crawfish meat, the sausage in the cream sauce, pour over the pasta.

23 hours ago, TexasHooch said:

Pappadeaux’s crawfish bisque. 

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 8:21 AM, TexasHooch said:

4 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Someone posted crawfish eggrolls on Shaggy that I made that were glorious. No idea where the recipe is over there but it's worth looking in to. 

http://www.shaggytexas.com/board/showthread.php/120526-!-I-ve-Cooked-Lately?p=10446393&viewfull=1#post10446393

9 hours ago, Celery Man said:

My wife has started decorating cakes. And making cakes to decorate. I mean look at this shit.
2cb0236b11f8f593c8315ef2b736842f.jpg

cd07219c4c4aeaac413695e963b5f3b3.jpg

90a0302b452a600b6c8e18ed447cb7a5.jpg

I came home today and she was finishing this one
6f6b9e0d177fe9883933ee3d7c591040.jpg

That’s pretty cool man.  Hope she’s charging the shit out of people for them.  Last couple cakes I’ve had to buy like that (2 different teenage girl birthday parties) cost a fucking fortune.  The first time we had to settle for like option C because options A and B had huge waiting lists.  Second time got ahead of it more (like 3 months) and still had to settle for option B.  And they both seemed stupid expensive. It was pretty ridiculous.  I guess those types of cakes are a thing.

1) Tell her to keep up the good work

2) Profit

i ain't cookin' didly-shit now that we moved and we don't have a stove

it was supposed to arrive yesterday

we had to get something special so that wife could have a cooktop + stove with a proper wok burner in addition to the flat-ass style burners we round-eyed foreign devils use -- this beast right here with the 18k double-ringed center burner.

I'll have pics up as soon as the first meal is done... if we get there

19 minutes ago, elfenix said:

how much smoke did the sauce take before you pulled it?

Not much at all, pit was at 300 and I let it sit for about 30 minutes to set before I pulled it.
Love that sauce. Taste more like honey then BBQ and the color is great. You can get it at HEB now that it's open. I used to only be able to get it  online or when you saw the guy at a cook off.

Edited by TXLNGHRN10

On 8/27/2018 at 8:35 AM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Felt like cooking this weekend since being sober gives you a lot of extra time on your hands.  HEB had pork loin on sale for $1.49/lb - there weren't any decent ones in the case so the butcher brought me a 8.5lb'er from the back. Decided to make this Tuscan pork roast recipe:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/recipes/8643-tuscan-style-roast-pork-with-garlic-and-rosemary-arista

Didn't get all the steps documented like making the infused olive oil and the reverse sear at the end, but the result was good.  Would have been great had I not cooked it about 10 minutes too long - I overestimated the amount of time it would take a roast that big to get to 130.  Served with baked sweet potatoes mashed with maple syrup, lemon zest and balsamic vinegar, and sauteed asparagus.

F7_D52113_6_BF0_44_C7_B5_B1_16882_EE06_A

5521_F677_F4_B4_4_C50_8991_E4_ABA259_DBD

7_AE6_DB0_C_1_FCC_4_C5_E_8_EBC_20_A321_A

F7_D52113_6_BF0_44_C7_B5_B1_16882_EE06_A

990_C3_D75_8_F9_B_4550_933_C_4_A29811_FF

Any chance you can copy/paste this recipe?  Pay wall

Yeah here is the recipe, I didn't follow it to the letter because the loin cut I had was closer to 4lb, but it gives you a rough idea.

1 lemon
1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
8 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
2 ounces pancetta slices
2-1/2-pound boneless center-cut pork loin roast
Kosher salt

1. Chopped fresh rosemary, but be careful not to include any woody stems.
  2. Grate zest from one lemon, and add to a 10-inch non-stick skillet. Add 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, 8 minced garlic cloves, and 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Set over medium-low burner and cook for 3 minutes; stirring often; until garlic sizzles.
  3. Add in chopped rosemary and cook for just 30 seconds. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a small bowl, press down on solids to extract as much oil as possible. Set both oil and rosemary-garlic aside to cool. Wipe out skillet with a paper towel.
  4. Cut pancetta slices into 1/2″ pieces and add to food processor. Process for 30 seconds until it forms into a paste. You may need to scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add in cooled rosemary-garlic mixture  and process another 30 seconds.
  5. Set roast on cutting board with the fat side up. You will double-butterfly the roast. Begin by cutting horizontally one-third of the way up (just where the fat-cap begins) and cut along the entire length of the long-side of the roast; stopping 1/2-inch before you cut all the way through. Open up the flap.
  6. Again, keep your knife level with the first cut, cut through the thicker side of the roast again stopping 1/2-inch before you cut all the way through. Open up the flap and lay your roast flat. If portions are uneven, cover with plastic wrap and even out with a meat pounder.
  7. Sprinkle each side with 1/2 tablespoon kosher salt and rub into the meat.
  8. Evenly spread the inside of the roast with pancetta-garlic paste from Step 4; but leave 1/4-inch border on all sides.
  9. Cut seven or eight 12-inch lengths of kitchen twine. Roll up roast; keep the fat cap on the outside’ and tie with kitchen twine.
  10. Put a wire rack over a foil-lined, rimmed baking sheet. Spray with vegetable oil spray, placing roast (with fat cap upward) onto rack and refrigerate for 1 hour.
  11. With 15 minutes to go, set a rack to the middle of your oven and pre-heat to 275-degrees. After an hour in the refrigerator, move roast (already set up on rack) oven and bake for 1-1/2 to 2 hours; until the internal temperature of the pork is 135-degrees. Remove from oven and tent with aluminum foil for 20 minutes; during which time the temperature will continue to increase another 10-to-12-degrees.
  12. While the roast rests, set your skillet over high-burner; at 1 teaspoon of oil (from Step 3) and pre-heat until the oil just begins to smoke. Cut lemons in half and set into skillet with the cut-side down. Cook for 3-to-4 minutes until browned and softened; remove to a small plate.
  13. Use paper towels to pat the roast dry. Pre-heat 2 tablespoons of the reserved oil in the skillet until it just begins to smoke, then brown the roast on the fat-cap side and the sides for a total of 5-to-6-minutes (but don’t brown the bottom of the roast). Remove to a cutting board and remove the twine.
  14. When lemons have cooled slightly, squeeze them through a fine-meshed strainer over a small bowl. Use a rubber spatula to press down on the solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Add 2 tablespoons of the juice into the reserve oil and whisk together. Cut the roast into 1/4″-thick slices and serve passing the vinaigrette separately.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 6:51 PM, Hank_Hill said:

Someone posted crawfish eggrolls on Shaggy that I made that were glorious. No idea where the recipe is over there but it's worth looking in to. If you like scat of course

That was me. Sorry I didn't see this in time to help dispose of the diddlies in question. Looks like the pics on Shaggy don't work anymore, so I'll repost below.

You can use pretty much any crawfish pie filling recipe you find on the internet, but you'll want to tweak if necessary so that the end result has a consistency of refried beans.

Basically: make a light roux; add finely diced trinity, garlic and cajun seasoning; stir in cooked rice, green onions, sharp cheddar/cream, and crawfish meat; cool and roll up in store-bought wanton wrappers; deep fry and serve with remoulade. 

2016.12.24_Crawfish_Egg_Rolls2.jpg2016.12.24_Crawfish_Egg_Rolls4.jpg2016.12.24_Crawfish_Egg_Rolls6.jpg2016.12.24_Crawfish_Egg_Rolls7.jpg2016.12.24_Crawfish_Egg_Rolls9.jpg

• Like 8