impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

10 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am noticing the House Republicans are quickly becoming the only Trump foot soldiers left as Senate Republicans are increasingly going to ground.  

If attempting to push Trump out via resignation is on the table for the Senate GOP, now would be the time to game that out and get the ball rolling behind close doors.  

Ideally, the Republicans would want this all to go away as quickly as possible if they’re convinced it’s only going to get worse as democrats approach impeaching Trump in the House.

For Republicans, it would be better to have Trump resign before he’s impeached.  Like Nixon.

ITS MUELLER TIME!

8zbYocrDK3mgyhvgkJvbvtnX6w5GXLgZ9Bd-hkdW

18 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Trump will not resign, ever.  Resigning means admitting he's weak and he'll never do that.  And the Senate Republicans will never vote to remove.  Ever. 

Sigh, no matter how many times this gets said I will continue to argue you never know for sure until you try.  

It’s like the original stupid impeachment debate all over again.  

“Democrats shouldn’t even try to impeach Trump because the Senate will never vote to convict and the polls show public support for impeachment isn’t even there, so why even bother?!?”

Well that debate has now been blown the fuck up.  

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Sigh, no matter how many times this gets said I will continue to argue you never know for sure until you try.  

“Democrats shouldn’t even try to impeach Trump because the Senate will never vote to convict and the polls show public support for impeachment isn’t even there, so why even bother?!?”

Where did I say not to try?  I'm just telling you, Trump is a different level narcissist.   And he will not publicly admit weakness or defeat.  And resigning screams both of those. 

I'll be happy to eat the biggest goddamned plate of crow ever, if the orange cunt resigns but I, unfortunately, won't have to. 

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Where did I say not to try?  I'm just telling you, Trump is a different level narcissist.   And he will not publicly admit weakness or defeat.  And resigning screams both of those. 

I'll be happy to eat the biggest goddamned plate of crow ever, if the orange cunt resigns but I, unfortunately, won't have to. 

I tend to agree, but he sure consented to fold his fake charity really quickly. 

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

i think there were some (and still are some) who opposed impeachment because they knew the senate wouldn't convict, and trump would spin it into a victory once acquitted.  those people could turn out to be right, or it may not matter.  i think he should be impeached and i think the senate won't convict.  there are varying degrees of moves, opinions, and results.  that is nothing like what you're suggesting (again), which is the president resigning.

if you're arguing that the gop leadership should try to force him to resign, i agree with you - and i think there are plenty others who would also agree.  for all we know, it's been floated, or maybe it's in the early stages of conversation.

what i (and everyone else) already know, is that it doesn't matter - because he will not resign.  this isn't about "well why aren't we at least trying come on!"  so i don't know what "you never know for sure until you try" is all about, but i know trump won't resign.

if there was a pool i could enter, i would put money on assassination, natural-causes death/incapacitation, senate removal, or db cooper style disappearance before resignation.

6 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

Trump will never admit failure but he can convince himself that resigning is the winning move and declare victory.  He has done this with every failure he’s had and there have been a lot of Trump failures, even in his own presidency. 

Of course, it’s going to have to get much worse for Trump than where it is now but the train has left station and it’s moving towards the inevitable disaster at rapid speed. 

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Trump will never admit failure but he can convince himself that resigning is the winning move and declare victory.  He has done this with every failure he’s had and there have been a lot of Trump failures, even in his own presidency. 

Of course, it’s going to have to get much worse for Trump than where it is now but the train has left station and it’s moving towards the inevitable disaster at rapid speed. 

Yes, but quitting those wouldn't likely result in his going to prison.

11 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Yes, but quitting those wouldn't likely result in his going to prison.

Which is why resignation would have to be contingent on him avoiding any chance of prison.  

I know, state crimes, but I’m not sure what prevents immunity from those potential charges being on the table in a resignation deal.  

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
On/off

9 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

this is not like trump college or trump steaks.  the only possible comparison is real estate.  this would almost be like if trump was forced to give up anything to do with real estate including licensing agreements (25 years ago).  but even that is a pretty silly argument.

he's already won.  he's the president.  no move away from that is victory in his eyes.  to rationalize it to the people, he would have to say he fucked a bunch of stuff up and that america is in a better spot if he walked away.  he would never ever ever position it that way.  it would also mean the do-nothing democrats won.

stop thinking about this in terms of rational human beings.  this is hitler's bunker, dude.

1 minute ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Which is why resignation would have to be contingent on him avoiding any chance of prison.  

I know, state crimes, but I’m not sure what prevents immunity from those potential charges being off the table in a resignation deal.  

i don't even think prison weighs into this.  it should (and would to any normal person) but in his mind, there's no way he'd go to prison.  he'd fight and sue and appeal until he dies.  i think there's about zero % chance he goes to prison even if he resigns tomorrow.

the point is, he's done everything possible (legal and illegal) to hold this office/keep this office and continues to do so in broad daylight.  he's not leaving.

-amendment-

here's the only scenario i see where he would resign:

-the senate republicans tell him they're voting him out

-he somehow gets pence removed/arrested/whatever

-he appoints ivanka as new vp

-he resigns over "health reasons" and ivanka gets sworn in

^^^better chance of that happening than a straight resignation

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

I am noticing the House Republicans are quickly becoming the only Trump foot soldiers left as Senate Republicans are increasingly going to ground. 

Have you noticed that the House Republicans lost power last year, and therefore have little to lose with dumbass stunts, while the Senate Rs are trying to keep their heads down and hold onto power?

Just now, atomheartbevo said:

Have you noticed that the House Republicans lost power last year, and therefore have little to lose with dumbass stunts, while the Senate Rs are trying to keep their heads down and hold onto power?

Yes, it’s precisely why the house republicans are Trump’s visible last line of defense.  They have nothing left to lose. 

3 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

Yeah, any resignation is going to have massive Trump spin to make it look like something other than what it is. 

3 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Yes, it’s precisely why the house republicans are Trump’s visible last line of defense.  They have nothing left to lose. 

And it’s also revealing that we are headed towards the end game.   They are so desperate to stop the hearings, that they are resorting to dumbass stunts.   The fear must be rolling off of them so strongly, that you could smell it if you were nearby.  

4 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

And it’s also revealing that we are headed towards the end game.   They are so desperate to stop the hearings, that they are resorting to dumbass stunts.   The fear must be rolling off of them so strongly, that you could smell it if you were nearby.  

and any of them that find a tv camera attack the process.

they've completely stopped trying to spin or justify the facts of what happened.

11 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

i don't even think prison weighs into this.  it should (and would to any normal person) but in his mind, there's no way he'd go to prison.  he'd fight and sue and appeal until he dies.  i think there's about zero % chance he goes to prison even if he resigns tomorrow.

the point is, he's done everything possible (legal and illegal) to hold this office/keep this office and continues to do so in broad daylight.  he's not leaving.

-amendment-

If that happened people would justifiably storm the White House.

25 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

If that happened people would justifiably storm the White House.

Is it time to start crowdfunding for a Facebook microtargeting campaign aimed at the WH Secret Service details, just in case?  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, henrygandorf said:

the point is, he's done everything possible (legal and illegal) to hold this office/keep this office and continues to do so in broad daylight.  

and it has worked.  there have been no meaningful negative consequences for his criminality and treason, and that of his administration and supporters (Republicans).  and it will continue to work.  

1 minute ago, Jack Straw said:

and it has worked.  there have been no meaningful negative consequences for his criminality and treason, and that of his administration and supporters (Republicans).  and it will continue to work.  

right.  my point is that someone who is this fixated on how to keep his office and win reelection by any means necessary isn't the type to just resign.

i doubt he had that type of attachment to trump airlines or whatever the fuck.

1 hour ago, henrygandorf said:

stop thinking about this in terms of rational human beings.  this is hitler's bunker, dude.

Which is, umm, our concern.  Because this time, the deranged nutbar descending into a fit of rage and lashing out at the world still has a fully-functioning pool of weapons at his disposal.  He has the ABILITY to wreck the republic and even worse.  By bunker time, Hitler was effectively impotent -- he could order his remaining troops to keep fighting and kill a few more Russians, but that's about it.

3 minutes ago, Jack Straw said:

And this.

When you realize that we are controlled by a force that is hostile to the Republic (the GOP), then their actions and the endgame here all make sense.  Hell, some of them have said as much.  If the process moves to take out Trump, they will destroy everything -- if they can't have this country, nobody can.

1 minute ago, henrygandorf said:

right.  my point is that someone who is this fixated on how to keep his office and win reelection by any means necessary isn't the type to just resign.

don't disagree with that point.  he's not going anywhere.  i say he will be "re-elected" in a sham "election," and no one does a goddamn thing about it (other than handwringing and more "investigations")

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I was just old enough in 1973 to be paying attention, and people didn't think Nixon would resign, either.  That and $4 will get you a latte at Starbucks, but it's true, regardless.

In 1973, $4 would get you a comic book, a 1/72 scale model airplane kit, and a hooker.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Longhorn_Fan68 said:

man, the stunts pulled today by GOP congressman and everything Trump and his cohorts have done to date make me think that we'll be amending the Constitution for a decade to make sure this shit doesn't happen again. What we seem to be seeing is a "well, the framers didn't think of this bullshit, let's try it" approach that is largely working - but destined to fail. But these clowns sure have exposed all the holes in our constitutional defense.

in the real world, yes, there would be buttloads of reform. However, in the world you live in I would bet the farm against any change. The entire enchillada is fucked man. D's ain't changing shit. And I hope like hell i am wrong