impeachment inquiry hearings thread

henrygandorf

24 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

The senate Rs are trying to figure out how to get a rabid pit bull out of a yard full of dog shit without getting bit or getting shit on their shoes. 

Meh.  Not really.   They -- especially Lindsay Graham -- are happily playing the part of the black and white pit bull here....

giphy.gif

42 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine if Angela Merkel was withholding access to our military bases in Germany unless our FBI publicly declared an investigation into her political rival. 

It's been forever since Germans did anything near that interesting.

And I'm OK with that.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I'm no lawyer, but I don't even think the DOJ policy of not indicting POTUS extends to investigation, much less investigation of his businesses.

Spoiler:  it doesn’t.

Also, I hope the no arrest policy was predetermined since the “protest” was on the calendar for a week and they sniffed it out.  One can dream. 

I'm not a lawyer but I'll tell you pro bono Surlico that the Treaty of Tordesillas, which divided the Earth between Spain and Portugal, was never officially rescinded to permit the incursions of the heretic English or their descendants the self-styled "United States". So from that standpoint it doesn't matter if Trump claims to be "President" or "King" or "Pasha" as the fit may take him, nor does it matter what "Senators" or "Representatives" may think. It's all theater, all fantasy, it's not real.
What IS real is that Juan Carlos I King of Spain and Emperor of the Indies Gracias a Dios has shown great forbearance, but even given the silence of his officers in New Spain, soon the time will come for action. Santiago!

Please put me in touch with your dealer - I need to be transported to this reality.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why can't we Hispanics have a "college grads" category, too?  Fucking racist Quinnipiacians.  Or whatever the fuck those Vampire Weekend groupies are called.  

21 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

White men. SMH

15 minutes ago, Lurch said:

Welp. We had a good run.

Women need to run shit for like the next 100 years and I’m dead serious.  White guy leadership has repeatedly fucked Western Civilization up and we’re not capable of learning from our mistakes.  Bring on the matriarchy. 

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Women need to run shit for like the next 100 years and I’m dead serious.  White guy leadership has repeatedly fucked Western Civilization up and we’re not capable of learning from our mistakes.  Bring on the matriarchy. 

White guy leadership has also brought you Western Civilization and unprecedented prosperity for an unprecedented number of people. 

Also, football. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

White guy leadership has also brought you Western Civilization and unprecedented prosperity for an unprecedented number of people. 

Also, football. 

Or maybe those things would have happened anyway--but better? Like Art Briles never exists and growth isn't inhibited by wealth concentration and greed? 

Edited by horncyclist
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

This is a very interesting aspect of this three ring circus, and one that deserves to be talked about more. The GOP are like toddlers who have never been disciplined for anything. Their decision making focuses on the immediate benefits to them and nothing more.

The Dems using the GOP written rules to hold these hearings behind closed doors is something they need to do with every possible opportunity. If the GOP wants to fight and get their partisan judges to enforce ridiculous rules, then use those rules against the GOP at every fucking opportunity. The reason the GOP does this is because the Dems never fucking stand up to the bully. It's time to hit back hard with their own bullshit leading the way. 

• Like 6

13 hours ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

You said it Walter. Surly lawyers, throw me a bone. Is this even possible?

No. They have 0 percent chance of success on this, even at SCOTUS. Part of the prayer is to drag the appellate process on long enough to prevent any disclosure before Nov 2020. But he will certainly lose the immunity argument 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Imagine if Angela Merkel was withholding access to our military bases in Germany unless our FBI  publicly declared an investigation into her political rival.

not her political rival, but her political rival's son.

And now imagine if that request for an investigation was based on conspiracy theories fostered on German 4chan and considered bullshit by our FBI.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

i love how that dummy, Brian Kilmeade, interjects that the Dems "can make up any rules they want" reflexively blaming democrats with not an ounce of knowledge or curiosity to what is true.

Napolitano is like, uhhhh... no. 

It's both absurd, but also entirely predictable.  They're never going to arrest the GOP members interrupting.  Schiff knows members are total babies and will just wait them out.

Also, just a reminder:  We spent 4 years investigating Benghazi because Susan Rice had erroneous talking points on the Sunday Talk Shows.  That was the entire scandal. 

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, Bateshorn said:

It's both absurd, but also entirely predictable.  They're never going to arrest the GOP members interrupting.  Schiff knows members are total babies and will just wait them out.

I think arresting them would just be giving them what they want.  Schiff handled it well.

Also, just a reminder:  We spent 4 years investigating Benghazi because Susan Rice had erroneous talking points on the Sunday Talk Shows.  That was the entire scandal. 

If you could point to a story or op-ed summarizing that, I'd like to see it -- I've never gained any traction with Trumpers when trying to discuss the actual facts of Benghazi.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I think arresting them would just be giving them what they want.  Schiff handled it well.

If you could point to a story or op-ed summarizing that, I'd like to see it -- I've never gained any traction with Trumpers when trying to discuss the actual facts of Benghazi.

Just read the wiki on it.  The security breakdowns got worked out quite quickly.  It didn't take the State Department long to figure out how things went sideways and why there was insufficient support (tl;dr: Years of underfunding for diplomatic security+bureaucratic denials for more security before was the culprit).

Once the physical situation was assessed, everything else was GOP attempts to pin either the security situation on higher ups at State/Obama or why Susan Rice said the attacks were spontaneous instead of premeditated.

1 hour ago, Mrs Whiggins said:

So are we at +12 on the list for officially a dictatorship yet? I'm going to spend the day on the lanai with a Smithwick's and a brat. And maybe some potato salad.

Serving brats and potato salad on the lanai is proof the Germans really did bomb Pearl Harbor.   

1 hour ago, Dnaguy said:

No troops were injured During our retreat..... from a NATO ally.

USA, USA! 

This actually is an unqualified success. I remember when someone in my regiment rolled the drunk goggle golf cart on safety day and broke their collar bone. Doing anything with 10+ 18-22 year old soldiers without injury is a logistical miracle.

• Like 1