Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

• 2 weeks later...

one thing if it was a general comment, another when it gets real specific about a poster and past history - this isn't just internet trash talking it's direct animosity towards a poster in a personal way. It's very wtf worthy - if icono was self deprecating about it and made it a running joke it would be fair game, but he's repeatedly asked for shit like this to stay off the public board. You took a fucking afternoon break and could still access the site don't act like it is some heavy handed moderation.

6 minutes ago, immamac said:

one thing if it was a general comment, another when it gets real specific about a poster and past history - this isn't just internet trash talking it's direct animosity towards a poster in a personal way. It's very wtf worthy - if icono was self deprecating about it and made it a running joke it would be fair game, but he's repeatedly asked for shit like this to stay off the public board. You took a fucking afternoon break and could still access the site don't act like it is some heavy handed moderation.

It seems to be OK to tell @Goo Punchto "get back on your meds," though?  Is that correct?

• Like 2

Just now, immamac said:

I've given people the exact same for that. Despite what he says I actually do moderate what he reports and others report. 

someone, i want to say immortal, told me to kill myself out of nowhere last season on the football board (iirc), and a bunch of people including myself reported it to you. you eventually (and i do mean eventually) came in and claimed that you had given him a day off for it, but his posting history showed that he had continued to post throughout the day. when we asked you about this you never answered.

also, you acting incredulous at someone accusing you of heavy handed moderating is retarded. this whole "despite what derka says" shit is beyond weak. how you can say that with a straight face when you literally said to me, "i'm a cop, i just came into your lawn and shot your dog. fuck you." is ridiculous. you've gone out of your way to fuck with me numerous times, ban me, lock my threads, and yes, completely fabricate defamatory stories about me for your podcast, then you have the nerve to say, "i'm a fair moderator despite all of derka's whining." get the hell out of here. you wanna brag about abusing your powers and then act incredulous when someone else calls you on it. give me a break. if i found out that you were actually campus loopy i would say, "yep, that makes perfect sense."

someone, i want to say immortal, told me to kill myself out of nowhere last season on the football board (iirc), and a bunch of people including myself reported it to you. you eventually (and i do mean eventually) came in and claimed that you had given him a day off for it, but his posting history showed that he had continued to post throughout the day. when we asked you about this you never answered.
also, you acting incredulous at someone accusing you of heavy handed moderating is retarded. this whole "despite what derka says" shit is beyond weak. how you can say that with a straight face when you literally said to me, "i'm a cop, i just came into your lawn and shot your dog. fuck you." is ridiculous. you've gone out of your way to fuck with me numerous times, ban me, lock my threads, and yes, completely fabricate defamatory stories about me for your podcast, then you have the nerve to say, "i'm a fair moderator despite all of derka's whining." get the hell out of here. you wanna brag about abusing your powers and then act incredulous when someone else calls you on it. give me a break. if i found out that you were actually campus loopy i would say, "yep, that makes perfect sense."

Tl;dr

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Perhaps we need a Surly police blotter?

I mean you could just report posts like everyone else? I'm not going to go around telling everyone who got banned for what - the moderation here is done by the same people as the old board for the same criteria it's not any different. If you don't think you crossed a line I don't know what to tell you, there's a pretty clear line that you crossed and you got some time off for it. Instead of coming into a thread and whining about it why don't you just stop being a dick to people on the internet, or is that too hard for you?

10 minutes ago, Goo Punch said:

Yep, I remember that.  I think we had a night game and was posting on the game thread after supposedly being banned.

17 minutes ago, XYZ said:

Is this site moderated at all? immortal13 tells troph “your life is totally worthless” and then calls her “crossdresser”, and the very next post is immamac saying “get back on topic”. Really?

The threshold is fairly high for bannination.  But that was uncalled for.

41 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

Which part? Are you not allowed to tell someone their life is worthless? Is cross-dresser really supposed to be an off-limits term for someone who doesn't know what gender they are? Or is it the combination-- saying or implying someone's life is worthless because they're a transgender?

And do we really need to have codified rules to protect what appears to be a class of exactly one person? 

This site really likes the "we're a great big community of assholes" ethos but gets squishy when presented with some asshole behaviors.

I dunno I thought clear trolling was off limits. It actually makes the board worse for everyone. I’m not a snowflake contrary to what some of y’all think. I didn’t curl up in a ball and start crying and I didn’t even chuckle. But his schtick is transparent, he wants to goat a few folks here and he’ll do so with name calling. That’s got no redeeming value at all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sbbruin said:

This is basically every other post that guy makes. And it pretty much goes ignored by the mods.

Edit: I guess not this time though, thanks for that.

Edited by Brian Fantana

Calling for death, suicide, blatant derogatory sexual or racial terms should all be triggers for time outs to bans.  Telling someone to up their dosage shouldn't be unless tied to one of the first 2 IMO.  

A poster following another one around and harassing them is a bit harder to call out, but there are examples I'm sure.  

Beyond that, this is Surly, and part of the fun is hard sarcasm.. (SEE: I fucked yer mom last night).  

38 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Calling for death, suicide, blatant derogatory sexual or racial terms should all be triggers for time outs to bans.  Telling someone to up their dosage shouldn't be unless tied to one of the first 2 IMO.  

A poster following another one around and harassing them is a bit harder to call out, but there are examples I'm sure.  

Beyond that, this is Surly, and part of the fun is hard sarcasm.. (SEE: I fucked yer mom last night).  

I'm really thinking about just putting auto-mod in place for some of this stuff.

3 reports and auto-ban for the stated triggers above, but just to reiterate:

1. Wishing death on a poster or public figure
  2. Suggesting suicide to other posters or potential readers
  3. Hateful slurs
  4. Bringing up shit from non-public areas/threads on the board in public areas/threads

Poster following/harassment is really hard, but as long as you report it generally it gets dealt with in warnings/DM if not I think we should all come up with valid criteria for a break if someone.

Trolling in CR is impossible to moderate we aren't going to even explore doing it, Trolling in recruiting/football/sports is actually pretty straightforward to moderate without the need for auto-mod. Open to suggestions though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm really thinking about just putting auto-mod in place for some of this stuff.

3. Hateful slurs
  4. Bringing up shit from non-public areas/threads on the board in public areas/threads

Poster following/harassment is really hard, but as long as you report it generally it gets dealt with in warnings/DM if not I think we should all come up with valid criteria for a break if someone.

Trolling in CR is impossible to moderate we aren't going to even explore doing it, Trolling in recruiting/football/sports is actually pretty straightforward to moderate without the need for auto-mod. Open to suggestions though.

IMPO you will end up with a lot of bans that aren't justified with 3 reports and gone.  It will definately be weaponized by socks.

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Good trolling is funny and I think its a legit part of Surly.  There's a point where its lame, but it needs to be really over the top. 

I don't disagree per se. I compare Phlegm's trolling of me to the horns-down gesture. I mean, I don't fuckin' care, exactly.. I've got the dumbass on ignore. But... if it's against the rules, it's against the rules, and in that specific case, I don't think the way he does it is funny.

So trolling on this site can better be said to be proscribed unless the mods think it's harmless. Which, maybe that's a good way to do it. I don't know, it's not my website.

20 hours ago, Goo Punch said:

so was derka really banned for this or what?

1 hour ago, Captainant said:

Where do we stand on telling people to drink bleach?

He's on vacation if you didn't notice.

Should we start commenting on the posts themselves as an edit comment if we give some punishment? I noticed that this software does show it for me, but apparently it doesn't show for regular users when an action has been taken (vbulletin did show this automatically) I didn't realize that until today. 

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Should we start commenting on the posts themselves as an edit comment if we give some punishment? I noticed that this software does show it for me, but apparently it doesn't show for regular users when an action has been taken (vbulletin did show this automatically) I didn't realize that until today. 

The mods on all the other forums I post on (all like 2 or 3 of them) use this feature. Up to you ultimately, but I think it's nice to see.

9 hours ago, Incredulity said:

IMPO you will end up with a lot of bans that aren't justified with 3 reports and gone.  It will definately be weaponized by socks.

Agreed.

So if i were to wish death upon Jerry Jones, would that be an offense or contribution to society?

NCAA officials?

the autoban idea sucks ass, but there's also a difference between being salty and being a fuckstick.  People know the difference and deliberately cross the line.  

The political side of people getting banned would avalanche in a hurry without tempered moderation.

Edited by slorch

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Would he come back as Robert Moneymaker while whining and crying about leaving the board after telling someone to kill themselves like you did?

vic, make no mistake: you are a worthless sack of shit human being who provides nothing of substance to this site or society as a whole.  

you like to go and cry to moderators when someone says mean things to you on the internet.  you are an absolute, complete, punk ass bitch.

5 hours ago, immamac said:

that's always been our practice over at the boards i'm a moderator at.  leave a bolded mod note. 

13 hours ago, immamac said:

3. Hateful slurs

Yeah, auto ban on #1 would eradicate CR in a matte of hours.