Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

Keep in mind that I'm posting roughly 8-10 times per day.  And I misspoke when I said that Facebook has eliminated Organic Reach completely. It's thought to be about 2% now, down from 16% four years ago.  Which means that any given post stands a 1 in 50 chance of appearing in your feed. But, four years ago, any given post stood (roughly) one in five chance of appearing in your feed. So, if I posted 10 times per day, you would have, on average, received two of them ---- enough of a reminder to you to come and check out what other stuff I've posted that day.
My grandpa and quite a few other friends I have follow your page. You made it known this was yours in the Facebook thread years ago on the old board. I used to see your posts quite often. Not now, rarely at all. This is one of the huge negatives of Facebook. The same goes for individuals pages. Of anyone's given friend list, they only see a very small portion of posts per day. Their algorithm has been designed to show people they think you interact with the most in whatever fashion. For anyone else, it's like they don't exist unless you manually go to their page.

They have also said that want the content of people's feed to be of individual pages rather than content pages. Something about being more personal. They are controlling our experiences on there which is bullshit.

On 1/24/2019 at 1:27 PM, El Diablo said:

Pretty sure this is called "ghosting" and it was suggested on TOS, I think it was confirmed that it was doable with vbulletin. Not sure about it here. The proliferation of socks/alts here has been astounding. DBC is where they all need to be locked together. Or all their posts redirected to TOS.

in vb it was called "tachy to coventry."  with xenforo there is (or was) a setting called "discourage" which makes the server intentionally slow to respond/generate 404s/etc for that particular user.  dunno what invision does, though there's probably a plugin to also deal with problem users if there isn't something built in (aside from outright bans). 

13 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I would be curious to find out.  See if liking more of them seems to cause more of them to show up in your feed. Thanks!

I "like" probably 90% of your Traces posts and I see several posts everyday. Great site. 

19 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I would be curious to find out.  See if liking more of them seems to cause more of them to show up in your feed. Thanks!

One thing I did to help me see more posts was to go to the Traces page, click on "Notifications", then select "See First".  Any recent posts will then be at the top of your newsfeed when ever you log in.  It's not perfect, but it at least reminds me about the page, which I will then click on and go view the posts I missed.

19 minutes ago, UTCzech III said:

One thing I did to help me see more posts was to go to the Traces page, click on "Notifications", then select "See First".  Any recent posts will then be at the top of your newsfeed when ever you log in.  It's not perfect, but it at least reminds me about the page, which I will then click on and go view the posts I missed.

I hit like in the first post I saw and then over the course of the evening I saw just about a dozen from the last 3-4 days 

So we have a troll problem, he keeps coming back. I don't want to have to rate limit new users, but can you guys think of any other way to combat this lunatic that posts like 50 times in 2 hours?
Can you lift the neg rep limit we can give out to individual users? Crowd source him every time within minutes.

2 hours ago, immamac said:

So we have a troll problem, he keeps coming back. I don't want to have to rate limit new users, but can you guys think of any other way to combat this lunatic that posts like 50 times in 2 hours?

Here are some ideas:

1. Rate limit new users. Yes, I know: it’s the thing you don’t want to do. However, it doesn’t have to be permanent.

2. Look into making the crowd sourcing threshold lower.

3. Is there an ability to tie rate-limiting to rep and/or a user’s history of reported posts?

4. Is ghosting an option? 

5. Multi-factor auth?

6. Any plugins out there that can help cross-reference poster IPs with suspicious proxy IPs? 

7. Make Hank Scorpio moderator. 

On 1/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, Hornius Emeritus said:

I'm glad I stumbled through this thread today. I went to TofT and saw your post about Shinyribs being at Greune on the 9th. So happens I will be in the neighborhood and got some tickets to the show. Thanks @Hornius Emeritus

On 1/29/2019 at 9:37 PM, immamac said:

On 1/29/2019 at 9:59 PM, Vic Mackey said:

Can you lift the neg rep limit we can give out to individual users? Crowd source him every time within minutes.

On 1/30/2019 at 12:05 AM, The People’s Elbow said:

Here are some ideas:

1. Rate limit new users. Yes, I know: it’s the thing you don’t want to do. However, it doesn’t have to be permanent.

2. Look into making the crowd sourcing threshold lower.

3. Is there an ability to tie rate-limiting to rep and/or a user’s history of reported posts?

4. Is ghosting an option? 

5. Multi-factor auth?

6. Any plugins out there that can help cross-reference poster IPs with suspicious proxy IPs? 

7. Make Hank Scorpio moderator. 

Limit new posters to 10 per day for the first week unless paid subscriber.

Increase crowdsourcing ability.

On 1/30/2019 at 6:55 AM, bernorange said:

8. Write the fool a strongly worded note.

The only logical answer.

On January 29, 2019 at 10:37 PM, immamac said:

Looks like he might be back and using the name War. 

Edited by WhatTheBuck

On 2/5/2019 at 10:16 PM, NorthLoop said:

Banned, yet still posting on the baseball forum

Can we please fix this and get rid of this fucko for good? 

19 hours ago, Machinator said:

Looks like he hasn't cleared the crowdsourcing threshold.

i will take a look at this over lunch today, but i think he passed the crowdsource threshold, but then was posrepped back into unbanned mode? i don't know how the software works, i just click the clicks.

2 hours ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

He's back as Jason Jason Jason, which is his actual first name.

You know, generally I wouldn't rep you out of the negs since this is kind of doxxy. 

But this guy is such a raging fuck-stick I'll make an exception. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, troph said:

I never get these connections so I could be wrong but Kyle comes at the issues with such venom he (or she) reminds me of mini baller/spit that blood.  But what do I know?

You’re not wrong: 

the person should not be doing their psychosis therapy on public boards...

17 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You ignoramusous realize it's jerking off to every post it reads about itself here ?  Ignore it, it'll tire of it, and move on.

No, it won't.  You don't understand its mindset.

17 hours ago, ztejas said:

Jesus Christ how many accounts? Add eastern sea. He just dmed me lmfao. 

https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/profile/4322-eastern-sea/

He is also the poster named ADHD, who I thought had been banned but apparently has not been, since he negged me 15 times yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1