Who's going to be the first one banned from Surly?

And that is part of the sock issue . You can mask your IP address to hide multiple socks .  The whole IP address thing is a false flag excuse.
Is there a way to tell if they are using a bullshit VPN IP address? I recall a few websites blocking sign up to their site because it recognized a VPN address was being used.

Just now, Vic Mackey said:
5 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:
And that is part of the sock issue . You can mask your IP address to hide multiple socks .  The whole IP address thing is a false flag excuse.

Is there a way to tell if they are using a bullshit VPN IP address? I recall a few websites blocking sign up to their site because it recognized a VPN address was being used.

I'm actually having that conversation with the son who works in the cyber industry.  

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:
8 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

2 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

I'm actually having that conversation with the son who works in the cyber industry.  

I'm not sure I understand the question. No VPN IP is any less "bullshit" than the rest. Yes, you can detect to some degree if someone is *using* a VPN, but a lot of people use VPNs. 

i.e. socks are more likely to use VPNs, probably, that doesn't mean that every inbound VPN IP is someone using a sock account. I've probably posted from dozens of different IP addresses on the same account. 

32 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I'm not sure I understand the question. No VPN IP is any less "bullshit" than the rest. Yes, you can detect to some degree if someone is *using* a VPN, but a lot of people use VPNs. 

i.e. socks are more likely to use VPNs, probably, that doesn't mean that every inbound VPN IP is someone using a sock account. I've probably posted from dozens of different IP addresses on the same account. 

Hiding an IP address or masking multiple socks isn't impossible. Different IP addresses is a reason given to explain away the claim one poster isn't multiple posters on web sites. A lot of it's way beyond my pay grade, the son has been explaining it slowly.

that would be fucking hilarious, but don't stop there-- give them ascending banhammer powers so that treefiddy poster #164 can ban anyone from 165 on but not the 163 above him, and don't tell anyone what their number is

Everyone has a secret retaliation target. If you get hit by the treefiddy banhammer, your target also gets hit.

1 hour ago, Vic Mackey said:

Yeah, you're right. VPNs are not banned or outlawed so you couldn't really differentiate on whom is using one to get around IP bans and whom is using one because that is just what they use.

who is always the subject. whom is always the object.

your welcome.

7 hours ago, Cheeseweasel said:

Make CR only accessible to Treefiddy members. Surly stock soars. 

This is actually a great idea. Give them incentive not to get banned or they have to cough up a new subscription. Accountability works wonders.

20 hours ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

Hiding an IP address or masking multiple socks isn't impossible. Different IP addresses is a reason given to explain away the claim one poster isn't multiple posters on web sites. A lot of it's way beyond my pay grade, the son has been explaining it slowly.

correct. as a matter of fact, it's made moderating more difficult.

but, since you will not let go of the hugo/david dennison sock thing, i can tell you that we can also see the providers when it is NOT a vpn. for instance, i can see your provider and location when i click on your IP address. i can see that you are not in texas and not an AT&T subscriber. i could see similar things on those profiles. so while i understand that you have some weird personal stake in hugo being david dennison, i can tell you that they use different providers in different locales. usually, when someone is using a vpn, we get an "unknown" or "could not resolve host" message when checking IPs.

so while i guess it's possible we have some super hackers spoofing IP addresses to post copiously under different identities, it's not the case for hugo or david dennison.

get over it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hayden_horn said:

but, since you will not let go of the hugo/david dennison sock thing, i can tell you that we can also see the providers when it is NOT a vpn. for instance, i can see your provider and location when i click on your IP address. i can see that you are not in texas and not an AT&T subscriber. i could see similar things on those profiles. so while i understand that you have some weird personal stake in hugo being david dennison, i can tell you that they use different providers in different locales. usually, when someone is using a vpn, we get an "unknown" or "could not resolve host" message when checking IPs.

so while i guess it's possible we have some super hackers spoofing IP addresses to post copiously under different identities, it's not the case for hugo or david dennison.

get over it.

obsession is what onboard does.

get over it.

Can you at least confirm/deny that Hugo’s location is from inside Russian borders? TIA
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Hate said:

Can you at least confirm/deny that Hugo’s location is from inside Russian borders? TIA

i can deny that he is from within russian borders.

if i found that any poster who purported differently was posting from some sketchy ass foreign IP, they would be banned with a quickness.

i can deny that he is from within russian borders.
if i found that any poster who purported differently was posting from some sketchy ass foreign IP, they would be banned with a quickness.

Well it’s clear now. Hayden horn is Hugo’s/Dennison’s sock. Welcome. Comrade.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

8 hours ago, tjhooker said:

have y'all been to the Surly discord?  channels seem pretty even keel.  no way someone would think otherwise.  look at the titles.

You can suggest channel names in the thread if you wanted to? I was about 15 beers deep and totally shit faced when I made it last night and just made up goofy names for shit that is relevant in the news cycle. 

3 hours ago, immamac said:

K, cloak room is gonna be like I'd pee in her butt now. There's no reason for new registered users to talk politics. 

100 posts and 50 rep minimum to post in CR. Existing members will be grandfathered. 

But...since we're talking CR, can you build a wall around it too?

Edited by SHOOTER12
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, immamac said:

K, cloak room is gonna be like I'd pee in her butt now. There's no reason for new registered users to talk politics. 

100 posts and 50 rep minimum to post in CR. Existing members will be grandfathered. 

So we're going to have new member shitposting everywhere else to get to 100?