butler park pitch and putt

futureman

for all the titty babying about the city needs more money from that piece of land... A) f that, the city has plenty of money they just blow it on stupid shit and B) ~60% of that land is in flood zone. There's ways around that for development I suppose but with how big of an issue flooding has become in texas metros, I have to imagine (hope?) things are a little more tricky now. 

• Like 2

130 players a day would be pretty damn high traffic 
Pshhh. I've been there on a Saturday where there were close to 130 out there simultaneously. It was more dangerous than Baghdad.
Yep. I was there last Saturday (got there ~11:00a.m.) and easily more than 130 people filtered through there by the time I left around 1:30.

It gets a pretty solid crowd after work on weekdays too.

does the family get anything out of this? is it like selling a business or do they just get kicked out? did they put their money into improvements? kind of sucks that this whole thing was their idea and they developed it and ran it for 70 years and it was their livelihood for all those years.

I watched a lady whiff it 5 times then skull top roll it for a hole in 1 (6) on the second hole. That was probably 30 years ago. We used to play it after playing Junior tournaments in the summer.

Sometimes we hit up Peter Pan mini golf too. Guessing that isn't around anymore.

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Peter Pan comes up now and again when the land owners turn down a small fortune of an offer to buy. They don’t want that property to become a condo. 

Good,  took our kids there in the 70s...... and to the kiddie carnival ride park on the north side of the street.

1 hour ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Yeah I’d be interested to hear a little about the backdoor deal between Jimmy Flannigan and Pecan Grove Partners.

Why, are you insinuating there might be bribery deals being cut in backrooms of city hall? Say it ain’t so! Never, ever happened in Austin!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Peter Pan comes up now and again when the land owners turn down a small fortune of an offer to buy. They don’t want that property to become a condo. 

I was a casual acquaintance of Mike Dismukes before his passing a few years ago. Mike told me when I asked that the family wanted some of old Austin to remain and were pretty firm on keeping PP as is. Mike was an outstanding guy and a true Austinite. Y'all keep giving them business. They're good people.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2019 at 10:25 AM, Larry T. Spider said:

Used to play it a lot as a kid in the 90s. Plenty of bum camping near the train tracks even back then.

We had a “bum drop” free drop rule if you overshot the green and ended up by the train tracks. 

Good times. 

13 hours ago, Texas_Rocks said:

Yeah I’d be interested to hear a little about the backdoor deal between Jimmy Flannigan and Pecan Grove Partners.

I think he’s the last one that would take a bribe. His reasoning was (as usual) pragmatic. The city opens itself up to being sued by the other applicants if they kick the process back so one specific company can re-bid. We have rules to prevent that kind of intervention and bringing politics into awarding government contracts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pasken said:

I think he’s the last one that would take a bribe. His reasoning was (as usual) pragmatic. The city opens itself up to being sued by the other applicants if they kick the process back so one specific company can re-bid. We have rules to prevent that kind of intervention and bringing politics into awarding government contracts.

I may have the sequence of events all wrong in my mind but it looks to me like for the first time (ever?) the city decided (why) to not just rubberstamp the renewal of the agreement but rather to request changes and a bid process. The fact that the management that was not at this juncture allowed to simply renew as they had done for the previous 70 years turned out to be the  one bidder that fucked up their paperwork is terribly unfortunate for them but incredibly fortuitous for someone else.

1 hour ago, Pasken said:

It shouldn’t have gotten so far along in the process for that to be a concern. Someone should have said, “Hey, you missed a signature on one page.” “Oh sorry, here you go.” That’s it.

I suppose it’s too much to ask to expect a bureaucrat to exercise even a little common sense.

• Like 2

I went to a bid meeting once for a power plant job in east Austin. Two CoA people ran the meeting, man and a fat, vaping woman. The man would read the bid rules and the woman would constantly interject, loud and angrily, ‘if I find out xyz, your company will be banned from all CoA work ! I don’t care about removing your colony from the bid list !!!! ‘ She couldn’t finish that statement without hitting her vape. She also felt the need to make that statement 4 times. Whole deal was a shit show. I quoted double our normal bid to make sure we didn’t get the job.

18 hours ago, Pasken said:

Did the current vendor completely fill out all of the paperwork and just fail to sign it?  If so, the intent to renew was there.  Why would reasonable person who has been on that property for 70 years file for an extension, but decide not to sign the form?  Couldn't anyone at the city just say "Hey, you forgot to sign this and we are going to ignore this if you don't sign this".

It seems like an oversight and once the mistake was made, it seems like the city used the error to make sure another vendor got the job.