Jump to content
Paper_jam

Typical cost or range for cedar privacy fence

Recommended Posts

I know the real answer is "it depends on the job", but what would be a reasonable cost or range (per linear foot) for installation of a new cedar privacy fence (6 ft high, treated wood posts set in concrete, but no frills)?  Needs to include labor, teardown & disposal of old fencing material, etc. Location is Austin if that's a factor.

Google gives me some numbers like $15-20 per linear foot, but I'm not sure if that includes labor or just materials.

Asking because a family member was just charged over $3000 for about 60-70 feet of basic fencing. Thanks....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

I know the real answer is "it depends on the job", but what would be a reasonable cost or range (per linear foot) for installation of a new cedar privacy fence (6 ft high, treated wood posts set in concrete, but no frills)?  Needs to include labor, teardown & disposal of old fencing material, etc. Location is Austin if that's a factor.

Google gives me some numbers like $15-20 per linear foot, but I'm not sure if that includes labor or just materials.

Asking because a family member was just charged over $3000 for about 60-70 feet of basic fencing. Thanks....

 

15 + is about right - at least in Houston.  3k for that short of fence is insane.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any Austin area fence company recommendations? I want to at least get gates for either side of the house (one 3' and the other 4'), but might replace the entirety of the original chain link (Crestview standard issue) if I get a good deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My neighbors in N. Austin said steel posts and cedar rails would cost $25/ft and pre-treated pine rails and posts would be $24/ft.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My neighbors in N. Austin said steel posts and cedar rails would cost $25/ft and pre-treated pine rails and posts would be $24/ft.
 

I paid $25/ft as well. Steel posts, cedar pickets and PT pine rails.

Patriot Fence is who I used (ATX) Would recommended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had about 100’ done last year. Metal posts and double sided fence (so me and my neighbor both got the “good” side).

~$1,500, which included all labor, materials, and hauling off the old shit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

Get someone that knows what they are doing to do the frame work. You put the boards up and save some coin.

for ultra savings, letting others put up the posts, this is the best option.  Putting up aligned posts is a hell of a lot more difficult than it seems, so best to let a pro do that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The company my brother works for in the Tulsa area charges $17-$18/ft for steel posts, three pressure treated rails, and cedar pickets on a standard six foot privacy fence. I've seen anywhere from $20-$30/ft around Katy but I doubt any of them use steel posts unless you ask.

I got ripped off on a portion a few years ago because I let my idiot neighbor shop around and I didn't know any better. Three years old and it already looks like shit. Won't be making that mistake again.

$3,000 for 60 feet is cold blooded robbery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for all the replies. This was a shady deal and my cousin doesn't seem to want to fight it (and may have no recourse). Basically a neighbor suggested they split the cost of replacing the fence between their properties. This was agreed to with no paperwork or estimate. The neighbor hired some guy (not a professional) to do it.  After work is done, neighbor presents a receipt for $3000 and asks to be reimbursed for half, which she paid. I strongly suspect neighbor is in cahoots with the guy he hired to build the fence.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Paper_jam said:

Thanks for all the replies. This was a shady deal and my cousin doesn't seem to want to fight it (and may have no recourse). Basically a neighbor suggested they split the cost of replacing the fence between their properties. This was agreed to with no paperwork or estimate. The neighbor hired some guy (not a professional) to do it.  After work is done, neighbor presents a receipt for $3000 and asks to be reimbursed for half, which she paid. I strongly suspect neighbor is in cahoots with the guy he hired to build the fence.

 

Good fences make for good neighbors.  The exception to this rule is when you become business partners with your neighbor for the construction of the fence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

my neighbor is an excellent handyman (not his real profession), so he and I put up a shared fence for $500, posts, cement and all. He did the posts, both of us did the nailing, I did the hauloff to the city dump. Probably 70 feet.  If you can find a buddy for free, it's very affordable.  No door of course.

That brings up the question -- how much is a door with hinges and locking fixture? Seems to be expensive. 

random question -- what is the purpose of a kickboard? My neighbor installed on his side but I guess because he has a couple of dogs.  But is that the sole reason? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 12:46 AM, NowThis said:

That brings up the question -- how much is a door with hinges and locking fixture? Seems to be expensive. 

I put in a 3.5ft x6ft cedar gate from Home Depot. The gate costs about $160. I also built one which doesn't take much time either. The one I built is sturdier. The one I bought is more decorative. Self closing hinges are about $30. The locking mechanism can be cheap or expensive depending on whether you require a childproof lock. So you will need 2 cedar posts for $30ea, 1 gate for $160 (if you are lazy), $50 in hardware, and $5 in cement. All in $275 doing it yourself pre-assembled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 9:09 AM, NeverMarryAStripper said:

If you have string and a level, and your IQ is larger than your shoe size, putting up properly aligned fence posts should be easy.

Yep, did that at my first two homes. The damn post hole digging in July sucked though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

Stain & Seal - 8' tall Pre-Stained - $750

Pederstiran Gate $150 x 2 - $300

Kickboard 2x6 pcf .40 - $510

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Total = $7102 / 108 = $65.76 per LF

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, TexasGary said:

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

Stain & Seal - 8' tall Pre-Stained - $750

Pederstiran Gate $150 x 2 - $300

Kickboard 2x6 pcf .40 - $510

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Total = $7102 / 108 = $65.76 per LF

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

that is fucking NUTS. You did not get anything outrageous, just standard cedar posts with metal posts.

i was quoted $3600 for about 148 linear feet last fall (~25 sq ft). No idea what they're running now but i can't imagine them going up $40/ft because of covid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TexasGary said:

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

Stain & Seal - 8' tall Pre-Stained - $750

Pederstiran Gate $150 x 2 - $300

Kickboard 2x6 pcf .40 - $510

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Total = $7102 / 108 = $65.76 per LF

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

Is this what's required by hoa?  2x4 runners  are usually pressure treated as are the top caps.  And pederstiran sounds illegal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Poolflood said:

Is this what's required by hoa?  2x4 runners  are usually pressure treated as are the top caps.  And pederstiran sounds illegal. 

It's not required by the HOA. The existing fence is the builder grade fence from 20 something years ago and its in bad shape.  

2x4 runners pressure treated.  Got it.

That was a typo.  How about pedestrian ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It'll be a bad ass fence, and I'm a cheap bastard.  If old fence lasted 20 I'm not spending the extra on the cedar.  And I know cedar is in high demand so price may be currently elevated.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did about 200 linear feet, cedar, 6’ tall, horizontal pickets, metal posts, no cap and trim on top. $30 per foot altogether including removal of the old one. . This is in Austin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Viking just replaced a 120' section and another 28' for us in Round Rock.  Metal posts were intact except for 3 that had to be reset.  They removed the old fence and replaced what we had which was:   

6' cedar pickets (6" width), 2x6 cedar top cap, with 1x4 cedar top trim just beneath top cap, and 1x6 cedar bottom trim.  No gates.  

$22.50/ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just got quoted $26.50 a LF for 7' fence.  I need to measure, but I've guestimated it as about 220 LF.  I need to ask my neighbors if they will split their portion.  I may be able to lessen my expense if they are cool about it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Okie State said:

I have heard lumber prices have gone up and that seems to be a pretty nice fence. Still seems expensive though.

Just finished replacing back fence. It has metal posts so the majority was wood replacement. Had to replace three posts. 
 

used appearance grade cedar for all. 
pickets $4.67 6ft x 5.5 inch. Aprox 18-20 per 8 ft section. (Price went up .50 in 5 days)
 

2x4x8  $9.70 3 per 8 ft section 

3 poles at $20/per
 

9 brackets $4 each

concrete, screws and bolts 

 

*all prices Home Depot 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My cost on OSB has gone up probably 3× what it was 9 months ago.

Somewhat timely question regarding lumber prices as this last week there was a post on a FB contractor group asking this question. I think the highest $$ I saw in OSB was around $ 32 & a 2'×4'×96" was around $ 7.20 (paying a hair under $ 6.00 in Central Texas).

I don't recall where these higher prices were located.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, TexasGary said:

Thought I would bump this to see if I could get some feedback.  It's been a year since the last post in this thread.  I realize covid and all but it seems that everyone was looking at $20 - $25 per LF.  I am in Plano.  I got three quotes for a fence. This is the least expensive quote.  Here is the breakdown for 108 LF fence:

Removal of old $288

Cedar Fence: full cedar 2x4 runners, built with screws, .095 steal posts, 6' centers; 8' tall board on board 6" - $4676

Stain & Seal - 8' tall Pre-Stained - $750

Pederstiran Gate $150 x 2 - $300

Kickboard 2x6 pcf .40 - $510

8' Boxed Posts - $528

City Permit - $50

Total = $7102 / 108 = $65.76 per LF

Did I just pick a really fancy fence?  This seems to be quite high compared to what you guys were discussing last year.

Keep in mind most were also likely not quoting "board on board". That's going to be a 30%+ difference.

Still price on high side but prices definitely up right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Just finished replacing back fence. It has metal posts so the majority was wood replacement. Had to replace three posts. 
 

used appearance grade cedar for all. 
pickets $4.67 6ft x 5.5 inch. Aprox 18-20 per 8 ft section. (Price went up .50 in 5 days)
 

2x4x8  $9.70 3 per 8 ft section 

3 poles at $20/per
 

9 brackets $4 each

concrete, screws and bolts 

 

*all prices Home Depot 

No shout out for tools, delivery, and labor?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


mpu


Football ... Basketball ... Baseball ... Other Sports ... Recruiting ... Gambling ... Movies & TV ... Music ... Hobbies ... Lulz ... Food & Travel ... Daily Texan ... Help ... For Sale ... Politics ... Board Discussion
×
×
  • Create New...