A Beautiful Day In The Neighborhood

TexasGary

3 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think the one of those Twitter challenges should be 'Name a movie role for Tom Hanks that he wouldn't knock completely out of the park."

Odd timing for this movie, though, so soon after the documentary had such wide release.

Actually probably a good thing.  The Doc will have been out a year or so, so it might actually increase the interest.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I think the one of those Twitter challenges should be 'Name a movie role for Tom Hanks that he wouldn't knock completely out of the park."

Odd timing for this movie, though, so soon after the documentary had such wide release.

He was amazing IMO as Walt Disney in Saving Mr Banks. He looks incredible here, too. 

yaaaaaa not really digging this trailer, hanks is just not a good fit.... not really sure one exists. loved the documentary a lot though. 
Won't YouBe My Neighbor is fantastic. Got a bad feeling that this will get a Spielberg-esque treatment with Fred healing the reporter who opens up to him about his being bullied as a child.

Almost no chance we won't see this Thanksgiving weekend, but it's got all the earmarks of an overwrought melodrama based more in fiction than fact.

I think Daniel DL should have been given right to first refusal.  Hanks is smiling too much when he sings and does the intro.  It looks like him and the director didn't do their homework.

11 hours ago, TexasGary said:

In perhaps the greatest casting of all time:

I'm pretty sure this isn't the greatest casting of all time, or even good casting. It looks like Tom Hanks in a sweater.

But Fred Rogers was pretty much the most unique person ever, so outside of having something crazy work like Crispin Glover, I'm not sure what else you could do.

54 minutes ago, Deej said:

Jim Parsons would have made a good Mr. Rogers.

I can't stand him, but you're right. Hanks will be great (as usual).

I'd like to see a biopic on Jerry Haynes. Dallas kids knew him as Mr. Peppermint, but he did so much more. He reported live on the Kennedy assassination, he was in RoboCop and his son was a founding member of the Butthole Surfers. That has to be an interesting backstory.

• 3 months later...

Fred Rogers saw the terrible potential of television and technology and did something positive instead of just bitching.

The "pedo" vibe is an adult interpretation of how he spoke to kids directly yet still on their level. We're cynical and distrusting of kindness.  So we read into it. And often for damn good reasons , people in general suck.

But we all need friends

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I decided on a whim today to see the film because I like Tom Hanks and just had to see how he played the man.

Caveat: Never saw a complete Mr. Rogers show, but my kids watched it in their very early years before they got the be “cool” guys.

I thought he did a masterful  job, and the story line was very entertaining ranging from dark to delightful.

• 4 weeks later...